Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Covid 19 boredom test.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 20 Jul 2020 : 23:42:12
So beleaguered to all of us is this one simple fact. We all like stories of one type or another. Please choose which of these novels you enjoyed most, back when the Forgotten Realms had novels.

"Rona" has me re-reading old books for the past 5 months. lol.

In no certain order...
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 25 Jul 2020 : 03:59:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Never understood the appeal of the Erevis Cale books, myself. The fashion-conscious salad was the only character I found interesting, and the ending made me want to throw the book across the room.

I must disagree... obviously. That trilogy gave rise to a Anti-Hero in realms lore that was unheard of prior to the books. A Cleric of Mask? That's looking pretty evil already. Now a Shade Cleric of Mask.... wow, talking about powerful? But Cale has a morality issue that most normal humans ITRW can click with.

To defeat a evil "Shadow" enemy, one must embrace the "Shadows" themselves to do so. All 6 books about Erevis Cale were amazing. Who would have thought that a Shade Cleric of Mask would become a Chosen of Mask and defeat the goddess Shar in the end? Classic!

I also love that 2 very, very powerful sons of Telemont Tanthul died during this epic story. The melee and spell battle between Cale and Riven and Rivalen was epic. Three Chosen equally gathering the lost shards of Mask's power in rivalry. Each one becoming a Demi-God in the process. Then Cale surrendering his portion of divinity to the 2'nd most powerful Archdevil in the realms to save Magadon was priceless.

Is Erevis Cale a bad guy overall? Yes. I would say yes. His past as an assassin sealed that in history before the events of 1374 DR. So he is an Anti-Hero Shade Cleric of Mask, First Chosen among 5 others on Faerun. What an amazing story indeed.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Jul 2020 : 02:38:52
Never understood the appeal of the Erevis Cale books, myself. The fashion-conscious salad was the only character I found interesting, and the ending made me want to throw the book across the room.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 25 Jul 2020 : 02:17:02
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Wooly - I need you to read the Simbul's Gift.

Of the list here, Elfsong is for sure my fave and to me the best of Elaine's books that I've read so far.

My all time faves are:
Finder's Stone Trilogy
Ring of Winter
The Simbul's Gift
Elfsong
City of/Prince of Ravens

Guilty Pleasure:
Pools trilogy

Acknowledge is great but not my fave: anything Erevis Cale related

The Erevis Cale trilogy is simply some of the best books I've read in FR. It's weird how The Last Mythal trilogy is happening at the same time on Faerun as The Cale trilogy. Pretty cool. The Daemonfey are attacking Evereska at the same time Erevis Cale and Drasik Riven, Jak Fleet and Magadon are in Skullport when Jak first sees Brandobaris; his god.

You all remember that moment right? Jak sees his Halfling trickster god in Skullport? I noticed the interaction and I hope you all did too. A bad omen to his death perhaps?

Seravin Posted - 24 Jul 2020 : 22:40:17
Wooly - I need you to read the Simbul's Gift.

Of the list here, Elfsong is for sure my fave and to me the best of Elaine's books that I've read so far.

My all time faves are:
Finder's Stone Trilogy
Ring of Winter
The Simbul's Gift
Elfsong
City of/Prince of Ravens

Guilty Pleasure:
Pools trilogy

Acknowledge is great but not my fave: anything Erevis Cale related
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 24 Jul 2020 : 07:45:12
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

The Finder's Stone books, and the Songs & Swords books.

Some of the books in the poll choices, I am exceedingly unlikely to read again -- at least, voluntarily.

I know you dislike World shaking events. At least in novels. I hear you. I prefer East Coast Punk Rock over West Coast punk. KInda similar in a Sun Elf racist way. You hold angst and animosity towards your own race, because you think you deserve it. Like the old Dlardrageth Clan.

You are incorrect. I don't mind world-shaking events, given certain parameters:

1) That it adds to the setting, unlike the War of the Spider Queen
2) That it's not one and done - something that's forgotten and has no aftermath afterward, like the Rage of Dragons
3) That it makes sense and is well-done, unlike the Return of the Archwizards
4) That it doesn't start immediately after -- or even run concurrently with -- other RSEs, like pretty much all of the many RSEs we had in 3E
5) That the constant chase for "MOAR BOOM!" doesn't supplant smaller-scale stories.

I liked the Time of Troubles -- the Dead Three will always be dead, in my Realms. I liked the Tuigan invasion. I liked the elven Crusade, save for the epilogue of "it's just a few years later and Myth Drannor is fully reclaimed!" and a few other minor quibbles.

I had high hopes for the Return of the Archwizards, but then it didn't do what I hoped -- explain changes associated with 3E -- and a large part of the narrative depended on "okay, so the established, super-intelligent NPCs all suddenly act stupider than a feebleminded drunken sailor in a brothel..."

Wow... I fully agree with you on everything I'm quoting you on. From novel to novel, from supplement to Module.

Return of the Archwizards was lacking because they never gave any further knowledge of a wicked-major player in Faerun and the elves.

Not one speck of lore on him after that trilogy. What??? a Moon elf of Evereska learns Shadow Magic without using SHAR? Becomes very powerful and saves the city? WHAT?? Galaeron Nimiwho? See? Readers only pay attention to the old sun elf houses.

Another book I have issues with is The Twilight War Trilogy. While it impressed me to no end, on how a Shade Cleric of Mask can deny, ignore and suppress so much emotion is beyond me. On the other hand, he hates his deity with a passion. I dig that concept as an atheist.

Another is The Drizzt saga. First books to turn me on. But.... after awhile you beg for Wulfgar to pass away. Just end it. Best R.A. Salvatore book in a long time was Companions. Bruenor's story was heartbreaking. Regis was and is still a mark for the Lich imprisoned in his dagger. Still a great story.

Wulfgar ends up being the same DB in a different tribe. Go figure!!!

Catti casts spells now, both divine and arcane. A Mystic Theurge perhaps? Only a rebirth could make that happen.

Artemis Entreri is a humble soul now, having beaten Drizzt in combat he feels nothing. At the end of HERO Artemis Entreri kills Drizzt Do'Urden for all intents and purposes. Then feels a kindred friendship and walks away in sullen awkwardness. Yeah, great story.

I actually loved The Last Mythal trilogy. Great elven lore. History with a twist. It combines EVERMEET by Elaine Cunningham with The return of The ArchWizards by Richard Baker.

These are my thoughts.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2020 : 04:30:44
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

Some of the books in the poll choices, I am exceedingly unlikely to read again -- at least, voluntarily.

I know you dislike World shaking events. At least in novels. I hear you. I prefer East Coast Punk Rock over West Coast punk. KInda similar in a Sun Elf racist way. You hold angst and animosity towards your own race, because you think you deserve it. Like the old Dlardrageth Clan.

You are incorrect. I don't mind world-shaking events, given certain parameters:

1) That it adds to the setting, unlike the War of the Spider Queen
2) That it's not one and done - something that's forgotten and has no aftermath afterward, like the Rage of Dragons
3) That it makes sense and is well-done, unlike the Return of the Archwizards
4) That it doesn't start immediately after -- or even run concurrently with -- other RSEs, like pretty much all of the many RSEs we had in 3E
5) That the constant chase for "MOAR BOOM!" doesn't supplant smaller-scale stories.

I liked the Time of Troubles -- the Dead Three will always be dead, in my Realms. I liked the Tuigan invasion. I liked the elven Crusade, save for the epilogue of "it's just a few years later and Myth Drannor is fully reclaimed!" and a few other minor quibbles.

I had high hopes for the Return of the Archwizards, but then it didn't do what I hoped -- explain changes associated with 3E -- and a large part of the narrative depended on "okay, so the established, super-intelligent NPCs all suddenly act stupider than a feebleminded drunken sailor in a brothel..."
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Jul 2020 : 03:50:08
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2020 : 03:08:50

Lord Karsus Posted - 21 Jul 2020 : 01:17:38
-Elfsong (and the rest of the Songs and Swords series I would assume), with the Erevis Cale trilogy in close second, and the Twilight War trilogy in third.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 20 Jul 2020 : 23:47:31
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

"Once Around the Realms"

I should have left a space for "Other". lol.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 Jul 2020 : 23:43:52
"Once Around the Realms"

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000