Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Divine Feats for your 3.5 game!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 01:43:32
Greetings Realms fans! As I further continue my tinkering with the 3.5 system for various adventures I still have, I realized a long while ago that divine classes, Paladins in particular, really don't have a great selection of Feats to choose from. Sure there's the usual Power Attack-Improved Bull Rush-Shock Trooper go to or the classic Mounted Combat-Ride by attack-Spirited Charge But....aside from that there's a few outliers (Battle Blessing, Divine Might, maybe Divine Shield, and maybe Extra Smite) but on the whole nothing to really accentuate the paladin's abilities. So I devised some additional Feats that tap into Divine character's Turn Undead pool. Tell me what you think!

DIVINE CHALLENGE [DIVINE]
You channel energy to single out a target to challenge, forcing your will to compel them to attack you.
Prerequisite: Cha 15, ability to turn or rebuke undead or outsiders.
Benefit: As a free action once per round, you may spend one of your turn or rebuke undead attempts to challenge an enemy within 25-ft. While challenged, the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls against any creature other than you.

In addition, each round in which it attacks a different target other than you, or casts a harmful spell that does not include you within its area takes 5 + your Charisma modifier damage. A successful reflex save (DC 10 + ½ HD + Cha) reduces the damage by half. The damage is half divine and half fire for purposes of resistance. Regardless of how many attacks the target makes, it can only take this damage once per turn (thus, this can trigger again if the target makes any Attacks of Opportunity).

The challenge lasts until the creature dies, you become unconscious, or you use this feature again on a different target. Further, you must engage the target each round or the challenge ends. Thus, when this feat is used you must make a melee attack against the target or move your entire speed to get closer to the target.

AURA OF GRACE
By sacrificing some of your divine healing, you emit an aura that protects your allies from other harm.
Prerequisites: divine grace, lay on hands, CHA 15
Benefit: From now on, the effects of your Divine Grace radiate out to an area of 10-ft. centered on you. Any ally within the aura gains the effects of your divine grace feature.

Additionally, as a swift action, you may spend 5 points of your daily allotment of lay on hands to enlarge your divine grace feature. This increases the radius aura (centered on you) to 50-ft. which grants all allies the bonus to their saving throws equal to your Charisma modifier. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

HEAVENLY STRENGTH [DIVINE]
You draw upon the divine power of your faith to gain strength, albeit for a short duration.
Prerequisites: turn undead, proficiency with martial weapons, STR 13
Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend a use of your turn undead class feature to give yourself a rush of divine strength, allowing you to wield any two-handed weapon you are proficient with in one hand. This ability lasts for 1 minute. Should you choose to wield a two-handed weapon in either hand, the normal penalty for two-weapon fighting still applies.

Alternatively, you can use this feat to wield a two-handed weapon larger than you normally could. While Heavenly Strength is active, you can wield any two-handed weapon one category larger than yourself with no additional penalty.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 24 Sep 2019 : 13:10:28
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Good point. Didn't think of that multiclass crapness that follows. Multiclassing is the bread and butter of 3.5, so we need to eliminate that grunge.

It is a unique aspect unto itself as far as systems go. No other version of D&D multi-class works like it - 5e comes sorta close - and I do thing it has potential. Unfortunately that potential runs from terribly awful progressions and incompetency to mind-blowing exploitative breakage.

I leave it to the individual DM to determine for their games where that line is drawn. If a DM is already letting divine feats into their games (a la Divine Might, Divine Shield, Divine Metamagic) then chances are these feats won't exactly make the game any more broken.

In my particular 3.5 game I'm planning to run in the near-future, it won't pose much of a threat because divine classes - for the most part - are all Prestige Classes. There's no "Cleric" or "Paladin" divine base class, there's the Paladin-Warrior and Priest prestige classes that give out divine turning. So a feat like this for multi-class/prestige class is essential in making it good over a lot of non-divine classes.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 24 Sep 2019 : 05:02:40
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Instead of 1/2 HD, why not half class level, with the added caveat that cleric/favoured soul levels stack with paladin levels to determine DC.

quote:
i actually like that idea. :) That seems fair and fluffy Diffan.

The issue stems from a few things, firstly it really makes the feat useless for anyone who multi-classes. A Fighter 4/Cleric 2 who grabs this feat at 6th level (assuming a Cha of 15) is looking at imposing a DC 13 save (10 + 2 from Cha +1 from 1/2 cleric). CR 6 monsters will most likely laugh at that save attempt. A DC 15 is slightly better but gets a lot better at later levels.

Secondly, It also doesn't punish a character for going outside of base classes into Prestige classes. So our Fighter 4/ cleric 2 goes into say Pious Templar (a class that doesn't get turning) can still get use out of that feat instead of being at a static DC 13.

3.5 is already pretty brutal towards Multiclassing on all other aspects that I feel having this function off of HD allows for greater flexibility.

Good point. Didn't think of that multiclass crapness that follows. Multiclassing is the bread and butter of 3.5, so we need to eliminate that grunge.
Diffan Posted - 24 Sep 2019 : 02:14:20
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

AURA OF GRACE
By sacrificing some of your divine healing, you emit an aura that protects your allies from other harm.
Benefit: From now on, the effects of your Divine Grace radiate out to an area of 10-ft. centered on you. Any ally within the aura gains the effects of your divine grace feature.

Additionally, as a swift action, you may spend 5 points of your daily allotment of lay on hands to enlarge your divine grace feature. This increases the radius aura (centered on you) to 50-ft. which grants all allies the bonus to their saving throws equal to your Charisma modifier. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

Additionally, as a swift action, you may spend 2 or more points of your daily allotment of lay on hands to enlarge your divine grace feature. Expending 2 points increases the radius aura (centered on you) to 20-ft, which grants all allies the bonus to their saving throws equal to your Charisma modifier. Each additional point expended increases the radius an additional 10 ft. (so 2 points expended creates a 20-ft. radius, 3 points expended creates a 30-ft. radius, etc.). This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

Is this to say that Aura of Grace doesn't initially get the 10-ft aura with the addition to expand it further or dropping the use of Lay on Hands to 2 instead of 5?
Diffan Posted - 24 Sep 2019 : 02:05:08
quote:

Instead of 1/2 HD, why not half class level, with the added caveat that cleric/favoured soul levels stack with paladin levels to determine DC.

quote:
i actually like that idea. :) That seems fair and fluffy Diffan.

The issue stems from a few things, firstly it really makes the feat useless for anyone who multi-classes. A Fighter 4/Cleric 2 who grabs this feat at 6th level (assuming a Cha of 15) is looking at imposing a DC 13 save (10 + 2 from Cha +1 from 1/2 cleric). CR 6 monsters will most likely laugh at that save attempt. A DC 15 is slightly better but gets a lot better at later levels.

Secondly, It also doesn't punish a character for going outside of base classes into Prestige classes. So our Fighter 4/ cleric 2 goes into say Pious Templar (a class that doesn't get turning) can still get use out of that feat instead of being at a static DC 13.

3.5 is already pretty brutal towards Multiclassing on all other aspects that I feel having this function off of HD allows for greater flexibility.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 23 Sep 2019 : 21:10:35
quote:

I actually like that idea. :) That seems fair and fluffy Diffan.
ericlboyd Posted - 23 Sep 2019 : 11:39:09
quote:

AURA OF GRACE

Additionally, as a swift action, you may spend 2 or more points of your daily allotment of lay on hands to enlarge your divine grace feature. Expending 2 points increases the radius aura (centered on you) to 20-ft, which grants all allies the bonus to their saving throws equal to your Charisma modifier. Each additional point expended increases the radius an additional 10 ft. (so 2 points expended creates a 20-ft. radius, 3 points expended creates a 30-ft. radius, etc.). This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

LordofBones Posted - 23 Sep 2019 : 11:29:19
Diffan Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 22:55:50
Made some changes:

• Divine Challenge
  • - the Saving Throw is now DC 10 + 1/2 Hit Die (instead of level) + Charisma modifier. This clarifies that it's not determined by class feature but overall ability of the characters. This also helps those who say go 4 levels of Fighter and then Paladin or Cleric.

• Aura of Grace
  • - now has a constant 10-ft radius effect that can be projected further.

• Heavenly Strength
  • - Now allows you to wield two-handed weapons one size category bigger than yourself (Thanks Eric for the idea!)
Diffan Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 22:15:51
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Divine Challenge is excellent for paladins. I would repurpose Divine Challenge in my campaign as an alternative class feature.
Aura of grace perhaps should have a default radius of 30 feet, expanding 10 feet in radius for every 5 extra points expended.

Divine Challenge is basically stolen straight from 4th edition, and there it is a Class Feature. What ability would you swap out for it?

As for Aura of Grace, a permanent 10-ft. Radius would be pretty amazing (too amazing?) and then having the ability to expand it further is awesome.
Delnyn Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 14:46:44
Divine Challenge is excellent for paladins. I would repurpose Divine Challenge in my campaign as an alternative class feature.
Aura of grace perhaps should have a default radius of 30 feet, expanding 10 feet in radius for every 5 extra points expended.
Diffan Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 02:34:27
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

You draw upon the divine power of your faith to gain strength, albeit for a short duration.
Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend a use of your turn undead class feature to give yourself a rush of divine strength, allowing you to wield any two-handed weapon you are proficient with in one hand. This ability lasts for 1 minute. Should you choose to use both hands to wield larger weapons, the normal penalty for two-weapon fighting still applies.

This one needs a little work. You have 2 abilities here, which is fine, but sort of combine them.

Ability number 1: Wield a two-handed weapon of your size category one-handed.
Ability number 2: Wield a two-handed weapon of one size category bigger, two-handed.

I would write them up as separate paragraphs.

--Eric

Thanks for pointing that out, though that wasn't my initial intent, lol. I meant to say that if someone uses this feat to dual-wield greatswords that the standard penalties for Two-Weapon fighting would apply, not using this ability to world bigger than you weapons two-handed.
ericlboyd Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 02:05:36
quote:

Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend a use of your turn undead class feature to give yourself a rush of divine strength, allowing you to wield any two-handed weapon you are proficient with in one hand. This ability lasts for 1 minute. Should you choose to use both hands to wield larger weapons, the normal penalty for two-weapon fighting still applies.

This one needs a little work. You have 2 abilities here, which is fine, but sort of combine them.

Ability number 1: Wield a two-handed weapon of your size category one-handed.
Ability number 2: Wield a two-handed weapon of one size category bigger, two-handed.

I would write them up as separate paragraphs.

--Eric

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000