Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Abeil of Abeir on Toril

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 01 Aug 2019 : 23:06:20
I want to try something here. I know its not canon, but let's talk about a DM's Guild product put out by Seethyr and come up with ideas that flesh it out more as a group. I want to do this because I'm interested in the product, and I want to get the word out about it, but also because its a different thought process. What I'll do is give a little base info, then I'll put questions in bold below with some of my thoughts. If someone else comes up with another question that we might want to think about, feel free to add it as another post. Not sure if this will go anywhere, but hopefully it can be fun. To be clear, anything that I post in this thread, I offer freely up as fertilizer to improve the realms (even a non-canon section)

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280837/ANS1-The-Land-of-the-Insect-Men?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

The gist is that the Abeil in Anchorome were originally from Abeir. Portions of Anchorome went to Abeir, and the Abeil people interacted with these people. Now they find themselves in Toril when Anchorome returned. On Abeir, their land was covered in flowering plants, some of which were abnormally large. They are extremely industrious in nature and don't like slackers. They serve the queen of their hive, and generally hives work with one another. They find themselves in what was known as "the land of the insect men" prior to the spellplague and which held thri-kreen. To their southeast are the Pasocada Plains and the Poscadari Elves (who are considered quite edible by the thri-kreen). To their northwest are the aarakocra. "Far" to the south are the Azuposi/dog men/Nahopaca/Metahel breeds of humans, desert dwarves, and short ones (halflings). To the east are the Minnenewah, or many different tribes resembling both humans and spirit folk. It helps if you are familiar with the region from the old city of gold product for Maztica or with Seethyr's DM's Guild anchorome product.

So, how would Abeil interact with each other and with surrounding societies? The Abeil themselves are hard working "farmers" for the most part whose interests revolve around supporting their society.

My first thoughts are that they'd get along great with elves, but the Poscadari elves AREN'T the elves that we normally think of. They're nomadic hunters who do some farming. They are chaotic. They tend to be self focused to a degree. They're aggressive. They hunt the OTHER insect men (thri-kreen). So, I'd see this relationship as a possible one for some trade, but not likely to form due to the issues with contacting them with the hostile thri-kreen nearby

Other cultures as well might have problems interacting with them due to the thri-kreen neighbors. The aarakocra and thri-kreen are at a general stalemate but are not friendly. I do see the Abeil possibly finding the desert dwarves work ethic as very similar, if in a different way, and if the two cultures could find a way to interact (underdark tunnels?), possibly trade might be able to occur. Of course, underdark tunnels in the area are fraught with tlincalli (scorpion men) and/or links to the ancient evil that was Esh Alakar, and there are few known surface exits. Still, it might be a possible means.

What giant flowers, trees, etc... can you picture as coming from Abeir or being in Anchorome but not Faerun? What special features do you think they might possess? How might they affect honey or other things produced from them? Are there any particular Anchorome based plants that immediately come to mind? How would these plants survive and would the Abeil need to do anything to make them thrive?

Absolutely, I see the Abeil as loving corn as much as everyone else in Anchorome. Furthermore, they may be the first to develop corn syrup. Given the "spirit" nature of Anchorome as well, I wouldn't be surprised to find a variation of dryads in anchorome that are tied to flowering plants. I'm kind of picturing small ones, maybe acting as spirits of the fields. In fact, I guess that may be what the "corn maidens" that are mentioned are like, but I picture them as the more powerful entities... and I'm picturing there being lesser beings.

Other than that, I can picture them being alchemists to a degree, but using their alchemy towards practical purposes. Maybe they can make an explosive that takes a while to set off (perfect for clearing stones in a field). Maybe they can use an alchemical solution that when added to mammalian remains turns it into extra potent fertilizer (which outsiders may see as a horror), but that they trade for the entrails that others would throw away for just this purpose. Their hives would require a lot of wax as well, and they might try to trade with the metahel for whale fat

Are there any of the existing "spirits"/gods of Anchorome/Maztica that would attract their worship

I can see the Abeil turning to Alosaka (the germinator), Iyatiku (corn mother) and her daughters Uretsete and Naotsete, and her
handmaidens, the Corn Maidens. For those Abeil who seek to leave their society, Paiyatemu the trickster might hold some draw, but conservative Abeil would consider him a horrible example to follow. However, I can also see them turning to Watil of the Maztican pantheon if they were to hear of her. Other spirits such as the rain spirit Sho#146;tokunungwa and the sun spirit Sun Father might also garner respect if they learn more of them.

What products might the Abeil make that they'd be willing to trade outside their society? What things might they want to import?

Obviously they would be loathe to sell their honey, but they might trade some for something they really need. They would also make a lot of wax. With their agriculture, they may produce a lot of different plants as well. Sunflowers, lavender, mint, and goldenrod appear to be common for those who work with bees, so perhaps sunflower oil, salted sunflower seeds, lavender dye, mint tea, or dried goldenrod for herbalism reasons. If they have giant flowers, then perhaps the petals of said flowers can be used for some purpose after the flower dies if preserved somehow (I'm picturing some sort of petal cloth, but also dyes as well).

I picture this society liking silk, and perhaps they might raise creatures like giant spiders for this purpose. This would require them to provide protein for the spiders. This might come in the form of the cast off pieces of meat that other cultures don't want. It might also come in the form of collected blood. It could also come from protein in mushrooms, so perhaps some trading with underdark sources might be useful.

17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 24 Aug 2019 : 20:53:38
By the way, I'd love to hear concepts for a "Pyre Giant" race that fits Anchorome's concepts, while at the same time being able to function in metahel stories in the same role as a fire giant in Norse mythology. What I'm picturing is something with reddish-brown skin, black hair but no beards, and a pair of short, black bull like horns. Their teeth should be black, and they have short tusks extended from their lower jaw. They should wield simple weapons like a maca with obsidian edges. They might wear jewelry of black basalt and turquoise (blue and black) set in gold, perhaps with polished quartz as well. I'm picturing their bones being different as well, being more or less the equivalent of basalt, and maybe they use the bones of their ancestors to make tools. Maybe they get into ritual piercing with things like large ear hoops. Basically, trying something that looks like a native American with much redder skin and horns, but also not looking to have it appear to be an efreeti or devil look.

Also, picturing them having the ability to change size magically, and having harems of humans, with their genasi children serving as tribal leaders.
sleyvas Posted - 24 Aug 2019 : 16:32:18
So, as discussed in some of these threads, I have been kind of going to your map you did, copying it into a "off kilter" map made by the red wizards in orbit, so that I can add things to it, change it a bit, and have a unified "half of the world without Faerun/Kara-Tur/Zakhara" map to play with that is just the pretty much "undiscovered areas". As I do it, I've been looking at what you have on your map, then rereading that section in your anchorome product.

I'm intrigued with the idea that "several" tribes of Abeil transferred from Abeir to Anchorome in Toril, but they're not connected (and they may not have been allied). I'm also intrigued with the ideas of putting some bear folk near them. So, I was thinking, the northern part of the Adusgi Forest... maybe it has a lot of different stuff than what you had described (its a huge land mass, so it should have more things). So, here's what was coming to mind

1) The area in the Adusgi where there's some kind of mountain range in a "leaning" U shape... put a river flowing down the middle of the U shape. Make this area of the forest filled with strange blossoming plants from Abeir. Put another tribe of Abeil here.

2) Just to the northeast of that is another little clearing. Make that clearing bigger. Fill it with hot springs and geysers, put drain off from that going into the river that runs by the area where the Abeil are (thus unusual chemicals are enhancing the waters of the Abeil area with their plants). Put "Pyre Giants" (a Metahel version of Fire Giants that we should put a twist on... not metal working... maybe even looking different... having something to do with spirits of fire...) in this area that love making honey mead and brewing in general. They want to steal from the Abeil

3) Put owlbears and winged owlbears in the forest and the nearby Kaaya'yeeda, and these beasts are attracted to the smell of honey.

4) Put bearfolk in the area (black and brown furred) who ally with the Abeil in return for payment. Their region of the Adusgi forest maybe call it Beyorathym, and maybe it opens onto the Kaaya'yeeda (so they're partially in the forest and partially on the plains). These bearfolk trap owlbears as mounts, fight pyre giants, etc... They worship the metahel deity "Magnaer the Bear" who is the "son of Thoros and one of the Wonder Twins". However, while the metahel don't worship Magnaer's wife... the bear folk do. She is a daughter of Balador the werebear deity, and her name is Balanis. She is known as "The Bear that is a Maiden Fair" and is rumored to be golden furred in the color of honey. She is a goddess with links to honey harvesting, growing flowers to encourage bees and butterflies, etc... , so the Abeil are intrigued by this notion and actually begin praying to her, under a corruption of her name as "Abeilanis" instead of "Balanis".

This bearfolk community will also have ties to minnenewah turned werebears who contracted lycanthropy from the werebears that were in the southern part of the Adusgi Forest. These minnenewah communities are human "bear cults", and they possess druids with the ability to wild shape, as well as barbarians hat follow the path of the totem "bear". These people see it as perfectly normal to take on a hybrid bear shape and interbreed with the bearfolk population (and often, with the blessings of "Papa Bear" aka Balador or his daughter Balanis, these interbreedings breed true, usually producing new bear folk).
SIDEBAR: So, the werebear/werewolf population was impacted by the arrival of Balduran according to your history. I think it might be interesting to have a misconception / mistranslation related to Balduran's name. Perhaps the remaining people's remember Balduran as "Baladoran, a child of the great werebear spirit Balador". Maybe they believe he was sent as a punishment for the evil werebear that was leading the lycanthropic population and decimating the Alaghi. Who knows, maybe there's even some truth to it.

SECOND SIDEBAR: what I have already written up has it that Balanis and Magnaer the Bear have three children (cubs) that follow them about. I hadn't actually delved more than that, but it might be interesting if these cubs have some involvement with the bear folk but not the metahel. Exactly what might be their demeanors and natures might be fun to discuss.

5) Thinking the far northern portion of the forest might be littered with hundreds of thousands of Kercpa (the size tiny squirrel folk) that are very primitive and have ties to druidic powers. Perhaps they worship Ratatosk the great squirrel spirit of the world tree. Maybe in this section of the wood is a giant tree with some kind of linkage to the world tree or something. Picturing them doing the whole riding jackrabbits, fox, swans/geese/ducks, etc... Not sure how they might link to the Abeil, but since they might be nearby, just mentioning it. EDIT: they may ride size small "dire hummingbirds" and such birds may be attracted to the giant flowering plants of the Abeil. This may cause conflict.
sleyvas Posted - 12 Aug 2019 : 16:42:01
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

It’s not all that hard to make new races now for 5e, though keeping them balanced is always an interesting task. I’d consider trying a whole race of bearfolk that INCLUDES urskans as a sub race - perhaps using Wooly’s Midgard race as inspiration. I also see some good regions on the Anchorome map near the abeil where they could be located, but I’d suggest keeping them more as loners than a race that congregates.

I’m going to have to read up on that urskan product. They’re perfect for further north in Anchorome. Already using that book for the darfellans in the nearby waters.

Yeah, I can develop the races, but what I'm finding is that I just would rather throw together ideas and let others develop their bits and simply reference them. That is one of the beautiful ideas behind the DM's Guild is that you're allowed to reference someone else's work as long as you don't copy them and simply provide a reference. Admittedly, so far I've developed only a couple products (nowhere near your number), and I've spent way too long hashing through where I'd like to see these lost continents go because I've also been trying to watch where WotC was taking things. Of course the problem somewhat of DM's Guild is the glut of material and lack of cohesion found between products. Still, the fun is in pondering ideas.
sleyvas Posted - 12 Aug 2019 : 14:09:48
quote:

It’s not all that hard to make new races now for 5e, though keeping them balanced is always an interesting task. I’d consider trying a whole race of bearfolk that INCLUDES urskans as a sub race - perhaps using Wooly’s Midgard race as inspiration. I also see some good regions on the Anchorome map near the abeil where they could be located, but I’d suggest keeping them more as loners than a race that congregates.

I’m going to have to read up on that urskan product. They’re perfect for further north in Anchorome. Already using that book for the darfellans in the nearby waters.

Yeah, I'm picturing them further north, and maybe with multiple different tribes. BTW, on the concepts that I was talking about having them further north and having more than one group of Abeil transferring.... if one did have a group of Abeil in an area of hot springs, that does open up some options for fire giants that like honey mead in the area as well. Picturing a volcanic area in the north somewhat similar to how neverwinter never froze much (but without a primordial living beneath the surface). This would be GREAT for an area that's also growing plants, since volcanos put out amazing stuff for fertilizer.

In fact, if we open up the idea that the fire giants of this far northern area (and possibly their frost giant neighbors?) are after the Abeil's honey for the making of some magical honey mead... maybe they have to turn to the bear folk (in exchange for SOME honey) for aid in the defense of their civilization from the giants.
Seethyr Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 17:16:47

sleyvas Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 15:02:08
Hmmm, additional thanks to you Wooly... so I'd bought the original Midgard book and read through it some, but I also signed up for the 5e Midgard kickstarter and got the worldbook and heroes handbook for 5e. I'd barely looked at it though, and a lot is added. What they were planning to do with their bearfolk is much like I myself was picturing (in the northlands and being very honorable). I may look at this for some ideas more. They also got several other races that I was looking to use in other areas.

Back to the Abeil topic as relates to this, there might be an Abeil colony that appears in the north, in the midst of a hot springs. The bear folk may be naturally drawn there for soaking, only to find flowering plants even in the winter... and the tempting smell of honey.
sleyvas Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 13:33:10
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Speaking of honey, and not to go all Yogi, but one of the things I'd also discussed in the past with folks as ideas for Anchorome are some beast folk races. A woodland bear folk version of the "deep bear"/Quaggoth (but with more developed culture) might be interested in a society that produces honey. Or if a less cartoony thing, then perhaps a tribe of werebears, some berserkers that can change into bears, or a minnenewah tribe that worships the bear and whose shamans can change into one.

Midgard -- the setting by Kobold Press -- has a bearfolk race you may want to look at.

Thanks, there's also an "Urskan" race from frostburn that's a bear folk, though in that they're treated like a monster only and noted as heavy armor wearing creatures using metal weapons. I'm not picturing these as sophisticated.

Looking at the one from Kobold Press...
https://koboldpress.com/welcome-to-midgard-bearfolk/

Imagery wise, it LOOKS more like what I'm picturing, even down to the dress. Also, looking deeper.... yeah... this is exactly what I'm picturing, except the part where they lose their claws and have normal hands. I'd want them to still have clawed fingers.

So, I can use the Urskan name from D&D, but I may pick up some concepts here. Oh, and someone's already done a DMS Guild conversion that's pay what you want of the urskan, so I could just reference that.
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/180374/Urskan--An-Updated-Player-Race-for-Bear-Lovers
Interesting, they even introduce the concept of a child born of a werebear and urskan breeding. Worth the quarter I gave for a simple article for once. They even have a panda variant, but I wouldn't do that.

Picturing them a bit more northerly in Anchorome or surrounding large islands/small continents, with communities that are black, Kodiak, grizzly, and polar. I want them to interact with "northmen" cultures. Still, nothing says that there was only a single small Abeil colony that got transferred from Abeir. A more northerly Abeil colony in an area with forests would fit in good, possibly even curbing the influence of other flying civilizations that may lord it over ground forces.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 03:48:32
quote:

Speaking of honey, and not to go all Yogi, but one of the things I'd also discussed in the past with folks as ideas for Anchorome are some beast folk races. A woodland bear folk version of the "deep bear"/Quaggoth (but with more developed culture) might be interested in a society that produces honey. Or if a less cartoony thing, then perhaps a tribe of werebears, some berserkers that can change into bears, or a minnenewah tribe that worships the bear and whose shamans can change into one.

Midgard -- the setting by Kobold Press -- has a bearfolk race you may want to look at.
sleyvas Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 03:07:54
Seethyr Posted - 08 Aug 2019 : 00:22:19
quote:

quote:

Just a bit of history...this was the piece of artwork that inspired Ah'Muzen'Cab. https://www.deviantart.com/sergon/art/Dragon-Vs-BEE-91896930

Wow, that's pretty cool. Guess you couldn't get rights to use it in the work? It would have been really good.

Unfortunately no. He just didn’t respond - I may do some more research into the artist and try to contact him through another means. By the way, Ah’Muzen’Cab is a Mayan god - I believe of honey in the RW

Edit: Yup! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ah-Muzen-Cab
sleyvas Posted - 07 Aug 2019 : 23:43:01
quote:

Just a bit of history...this was the piece of artwork that inspired Ah'Muzen'Cab. https://www.deviantart.com/sergon/art/Dragon-Vs-BEE-91896930

Wow, that's pretty cool. Guess you couldn't get rights to use it in the work? It would have been really good.
Seethyr Posted - 07 Aug 2019 : 23:29:04
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

The entire concept of the mixing and mingling of Abeir and Toril via the Spellplague opened up a lot of possibilities worth exploring. I'm glad to see folks doing this.

I'm really glad you like the concept! This is why I am really hoping for new official lore to expand beyond the Dales/Cormyr/Waterdeep and a few select others. There are so many stories to tell in so many other locations. Entire untouched continents like Anchorome are great places to play around in as well.

Matt James Posted - 07 Aug 2019 : 13:10:52
The entire concept of the mixing and mingling of Abeir and Toril via the Spellplague opened up a lot of possibilities worth exploring. I'm glad to see folks doing this.
Seethyr Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 19:14:36
Just to share the one page intro on the Abeil from Land of the Insect Men so there is an understanding where this came from...

quote:

Abeil of Anchôromé

The abeil of Anchôromé are the bee-folk natives of Toril's twin world Abeir. They came to Toril in the days and weeks following the Blue Breath of Change, having fled flights of dragons that had destroyed their hive cites for generations. On their world, the abeil worshiped two primordials of great power. One, the Queen of Queens, is thought to be responsible for the abeil's industrious nature. Her mate, known as Ah'Muzen'Cab, was the patron of soldiers, honey, and those who sought to keep the bee folk safe.

The abeil continued to fight off the dragons and on Toril and they received a significant amount of assistance from the eagle-like aarakocra. Assaulted on two fronts, the dragons eventually relented, but not before killing Ah'Muzen'Cab. The titanic Queen of Queens has since fled into parts unknown and the abeil have not seen her living form since, though she still provides spells to her clerics and answers prayers. The aarakocra did not turn out to be the welcoming allies that the abeil had anticipated and only the the mantis-like thri-kreen seemed to tolerate their presence. Thus, the bee-folk settled in the Land of the Insect Men; a fitting, if unwelcoming new home.

Appearance

The bee people are not well known in Anchôromé, or even in Faerûn for that matter. As natives of Abeir they are extraordinarily rare on Toril and most who have heard of them know only wild exaggerations about their appearance. Some say they are 20 feet tall, and others believe they are simply elves that can shapechange into giant bees.

In reality, the bee people actually are similar in appearance to elves. With pointed ears and high boned facial features, they could easily pass as Ar'tel'quessir (the gold elves) were it not for their multifaceted eyes, antennae, segmented legs and striations of black and yellow across their lightly haired bodies. Abeil can also be quite tall, with soldiers topping out at ten feet. Queens and vassals are particularly slender, but still tower over most sentient races with an average height standing at 7 feet. Their wings are more translucent than gossamer, but occasional glimmers of color can be seen in bright sunlight.

Outlook

The bee-folk are not a particularly cruel or charitable race of humanoids. They value industriousness over all, a trait that is more a part of their nature than culture. Their concept of good and evil, in fact, lies more along the lines of industry vs. sloth, and lazy abeil are exiled from their communities. Of course, even the laziest of abeil as a general rule could impress the most joyless of duergar.

Abeil themselves take great pleasure in their work, so finding a lazy member is not only odd, but illogical. The bee-folk also seek to expand, but not generally through conquest. Rather, they compete for resources and tend to gain the upper hand through pure diligence. Of course, this does not prevent other races from reacting violently and the abeil will not shy away from conflict.

The abeil appreciate the thri-kreen as worthy competitors, but limited resources and conflicts over choice territories have caused a number of skirmishes in the past few decades.

The Queen of Queens

The Queen of Queens, along with her consort Ah'Muzen'Cab, constituted the entire pantheon of the abeil. She is a primordial of industriousness and labor, while he was a lesser being of honey and protection. They both existed as living primordials who roamed Abeir concerned only with the welfare of the beefolk and to a lesser extent, normal bees. Dragons had always been their enemies and throughout the millennia they have slain dozens together.

Shortly after the Sundering, Ah'Muzen'Cab was slain in a spectacular battle on Toril when red dragons returned to eradicate the bee-folk. With his superheated stinger, Ah'Muzen'Cab killed four red dragons before succumbing to his injuries.

Botany and Honey

Some vassal abeil have become truly specialized botanists and have cultivated hundreds of different types of flowers over the millennia. Some of these flowers have special properties, and many are magical. Some are known to have defensive capabilities of their own and have been bred by the abeil as guardians. Just outside of the capital city of Tses'na, there are flowers of titanic proportions which supply enough pollen for the bee-folk to fill giant vats of honey. Honey itself is the abeils' primary food source and there are masters who make honey with properties very similar to the potions of foreign lands. The healing properties of some of these honeys are known to be particularly potent.

sleyvas Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 18:51:49
So, let's discuss some of their psyche and maybe get some viewpoints of others. On the idea of the "Queen of Queens" primordial disappearing to them, one thing to consider is "did ALL of the Abeil from Abeir transfer to Toril?". It might make a better story if we take somewhat of a page from the dragonborn concept, wherein the ones that transferred over are just a small subset of the Abeil that were on Abeir . So, the "Queen of Queens" is still in Abeir with the rest of her "progeny" (assuming here that this primordial created the Abeil race or shaped them). So, this "hive" group is now cast adrift in a totally new world since the second sundering. They're USED to being led by a powerful entity and actually appreciated such, unlike the dragonborn who hated their "oppressors". So, these bee folk would actively want to find a new "guiding light" for their society, and so, perhaps they'd be quick to latch onto the idea of worship. They may even believe that some gods are in fact just their "queen of queens" "leading them from their homeland, and this is why she's not visible".

That brings us partly to making a decision of "what happened with Anchorome during the spellplague era"? My assumption here is that it went to Abeir since we didn't hear of it or any other nearby continents interacting with Laerakond.

So, what was on Abeir where Anchorome landed? Well, maybe just water? After all, on Abeir, it may be that for the most part Merrouroboros didn't break apart, because the elven sundering didn't necessarily HAPPEN there (even though it in theory reached forwards and backward in time). If this is the case, and Anchorome pretty much transferred over as a whole unit (or at least the areas that you're working with), and these Abeil are a sudden appearance on the face of Toril possibly right as the second sundering happened.

If the above is true, what are the implications or things that you can do with this? So, perhaps these Abeil and their society were on some portion of Abeir that had little to no involvement with any of the transitions that happened as a result of the spellplague. Or maybe they did? Which works better? So, was their alliance with the thri-kreen nearby a knee jerk reaction? Will it ultimately start to fall apart?

Were there any OTHER groups of Abeil that transferred over in other parts of Toril from other parts of Abeir? Are the two groups able to contact each other? Might there even be separate groups of them within anchorome (i.e. some in the lands of the insect men and maybe others further north, west, or south in Anchorome.... or even on an entirely different continent, such as within the jungles of the Chondalwood.

Are they highly psionic? Would they be attracted by any of Toril's lost history as they learn of the world surrounding them? On this, I'm picturing small groups of Abeil "treasure hunters" who decide that raiding the ancient ruins of Jhaamdath might be a good idea... once they HEAR of the ancient ruins of Jhaamdath… or maybe even Auppenser will reach out to them? Or maybe Laduguer, who sees their slavish devotion to work and would see their attention?

What exactly are the powers of the royal jelly? Could it have been something that they created for the "Queen of Queens"? Could it have been something that was WANTED by groups outside of the Abeil (i.e. dragons, other primordials, other races, etc...)? Was the royal jelly being stolen by other beings a major source of conflict while on Abeir? Here I'm basically wondering should we bring up a conflict with the Abeil and say dragonborn, dragons, the inhabitants of Akanul, or even possibly some of the RETURNING groups that were in Abeir (for instance, did some of the god-kings of Mulhorand that have returned do so via ingesting royal jelly?). Do other beings use royal jelly to extend their life spans? Can it heal the sick or dying? Can it remove infertility or even bring back life to an unborn child if a mother had some kind of complications? If this is the case, what about an unborn godling (i.e. for instance, an atropal, such as the one that was down in Chult)?

What was the nature of the "Queen of Queens"? How did she interact with her people in return for their service I'm kind of picturing her as a giant actual primordial bee like being, but maybe also as a being with power and/or traits of plants/flowers. So, maybe the reason that the flowers of the lands of Abeir were so "titanic" was that they fed her royal jelly and she "blessed the land with abundance". Might they try to achieve something of the sort in Toril? Might this help to turn a lot of what is wasteland in Anchorome into something more beneficial? You mention an idea that the royal jelly requires requires pollen from a rare flower which only blooms in a valley near the Dodaliv Mountain , but what if they discover that they can use the golden dust known as Micha from the city of Michaca. Might the Abeil suddenly HAVE to open up trade with the city of gold region?

That's the stuff immediately jumping out at me as ideas. However, I'm willing to discuss pretty much anything if someone sees something else worth pondering.
Matt James Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 16:41:44
I like it.
Seethyr Posted - 02 Aug 2019 : 20:37:45
I’m eagerly looking forward to the responses here. I’d love to incorporate much more into the abeil and the Land of the Insect Men.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000