Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Underdark and Teleportation?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wenin Posted - 23 Apr 2019 : 22:45:56
My campaign has a future where the players will be delving into the Underdark. On my mind was an aspect that I seemed to recall that teleportation wasn't a "given" when it came to the Underdark.

I've been catching up on my FR novels, having just finished Night of the Hunter, and reading how Gromph and Methil are teleporting all over the place.

Was this ever a thing, or is my memory making this up?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wenin Posted - 23 Apr 2019 : 23:15:18
Ok, just goes to show how awesome Gromph is. =)
sleyvas Posted - 23 Apr 2019 : 23:02:14
yeah, it was a thing. It was specifically in place to make underdark excursions more dangerous (i.e. you can't just leave... you can't just scry a place and then pop in... etc...). It was still a thing in 3.5e. Not sure if it is for 5e though. The rules in the 3.5e underdark book were:

Teleportation: Spells of the conjuration (teleportation) subschool do not work reliably over distances greater than 1 mile when either the origin or the destination is within an area affected by faerzress.

A character who casts a teleport spell or uses an ability or item that duplicates that effect must make a DC 35 Spellcraft check. Success indicates that the spell works properly; failure means that the teleporting character automatically suffers a mishap, just as if he or she had rolled 100 on the table in the teleport spell description, followed by an “off-target” result.

A character using a normally infallible form of teleportation magic (such as word of recall or greater teleport) must also make a DC 25 Spellcraft check. Again, success indicates that the spell works properly, and failure means the character suffers a mishap and an off-target result, as described above.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000