Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Buying a Home in Evermeet or Evereska

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Penknight Posted - 21 Mar 2019 : 12:31:07
Hello, everyone! I recently started a new campaign in 2nd Edition, with the campaign year beginning in 1353 DR. After much adventuring, I've been looking at the buying a house in Waterdeep guide Steven Schend wrote a while back. My question is, what would a respectable estate run in Evermeet and Evereska? I'm particularly interested in Ty'athalael and Leuthilspar on Evermeet, and obviously Evereska. What would be a good price for an elven adventurer fighter/mage looking for his own home, while allowing guests to stay over (elven), have his master suite, and a laboratory for item creation and spell research?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
moonbeast Posted - 24 Mar 2019 : 08:51:00
Anything that acts like a money sink to remove thousands of GPs from high-level characters is always a good idea.

IMHO, it's also a good incentive for PCs to level up and something to look forward to (besides the constant acquisition of magical loot). High-level thieves might one day own and operate their own Guild House. High level clerics could one day build a gleaming Cathedral to honor her deity. And an epic level warrior could one day look forward to residing in a mighty fortress overlooking his personal barony (or some kind of fiefdom).

NOW….. as far as figuring out how much it should cost. I would use the "rent/lodding" costs as a baseline comparison/example.

In 5th Edition, the PHB chapter called LIFESTYLE EXPENSES (page 157) tells you an estimate of how much the daily cost of living is for each Player-Character. This assumes both food and lodging (or rent).

Lifestyle Expenses Price/Day

Squalid 1sp
Poor 2sp
Modest 1gp
Comfortable 2gp
Wealthy 4gp
Aristocratic 10gp minimum

Now, of course, from the above costs, let's say for example that the Character is merely "renting/leasing" a COMFORTABLE apartment in the city. So, it could be estimated that in 1 year, his daily cost of 2gp would be multiplied by x365 would total to about 730gp. Plus or minus a few dozen GPs for variable crap like paying for a maid, or maybe paying extra because his apartment is high tech and includes amenities like Roman-style plumbing and toilets, etc.

So that would be the gross estimate for rent. Now we have to figure out…. how much more is PAYING TO OWN your own abode compared to renting/leasing an apartment or house? Is it double? Is it triple?

Go to real world analogies. Do you own your own house in Los Angeles or Houston or NYC? How much more do you pay (mortgage payments) to own your house compared to your friend/neighbor who merely rents their house? Do you pay 50% more than them? Do you pay double? Once you can answer this question, you are closer to getting a good estimate on how much a HOUSE will cost to purchase (or build) outright.

Lastly keep in mind that I am quoting 5th Edition pricing and economy…. which could be very different from the guideline pricing and costs set forth for 2nd Edition.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Expenses#content

Wretched. You live in inhumane Conditions. With no place to call home, you shelter wherever you can, sneaking into barns, huddling in old crates, and relying on the good graces of people better off than you. A wretched lifestyle presents abundant dangers. Violence, disease, and hunger follow you wherever you go. Other wretched people covet your armor, Weapons, and Adventuring Gear, which represent a fortune by their standards. You are beneath the notice of most people.

Squalid. You live in a leaky stable, a mud-floored hut just outside town, or a vermin-infested boarding house in the worst part of town. You have shelter from the elements, but you live in a desperate and often violent Environment, in places rife with disease, hunger, and misfortune. You are beneath the notice of most people, and you have few legal protections. Most people at this lifestyle level have suffered some terrible setback. They might be disturbed, marked as exiles, or suffer from disease.

Poor. A poor lifestyle means going without the comforts available in a stable community. Simple food and lodgings, threadbare clothing, and unpredictable Conditions result in a sufficient, though probably unpleasant, experience. Your accommodations might be a room in a flophouse or in the Common Room above a tavern. You benefit from some legal protections, but you still have to contend with violence, crime, and disease. People at this lifestyle level tend to be unskilled laborers, costermongers, peddlers, thieves, mercenaries, and other disreputable types.

Modest. A modest lifestyle keeps you out of the slums and ensures that you can maintain your Equipment. You live in an older part of town, renting a room in a boarding house, inn, or Temple. You don’t go hungry or thirsty, and your living Conditions are clean, if simple. Ordinary people living modest lifestyles include soldiers with families, laborers, students, Priests, hedge wizards, and the like.

Comfortable. Choosing a comfortable lifestyle means that you can afford nicer clothing and can easily maintain your Equipment. You live in a small cottage in a middle-class neighborhood or in a private room at a fine inn. You associate with merchants, Skilled tradespeople, and military officers.

Wealthy. Choosing a wealthy lifestyle means living a life of luxury, though you might not have achieved the social status associated with the old money of nobility or royalty. You live a lifestyle comparable to that of a highly successful merchant, a favored servant of the royalty, or the owner of a few small businesses. You have respectable lodgings, usually a spacious home in a good part of town or a comfortable suite at a fine inn. You likely have a small staff of Servants.

Aristocratic. You live a life of plenty and comfort. You move in circles populated by the most powerful people in the community. You have excellent lodgings, perhaps a townhouse in the nicest part of town or rooms in the finest inn. You dine at the best restaurants, retain the most Skilled and fashionable tailor, and have Servants attending to your every need. You receive invitations to the social gatherings of the rich and powerful, and spend evenings in the company of politicians, guild leaders, high Priests, and nobility. You must also contend with the highest levels of deceit and treachery. The wealthier you are, the greater the chance you will be drawn into political intrigue as a pawn or participant.

Penknight Posted - 23 Mar 2019 : 01:52:50
Thank you for the useful suggestions. I was considering growing one using the spell construction from Elves of Evermeet. Being able to purchase one in Evereska until that time is what I'm looking at now. The prices for a house in Waterdeep (using that as a guide) would seem incredibly high to me, so that following Retreat to Evermeet only to find that you were unable to purchase a home because of pricing seems unrealistic. That was my initial thought when I set down to look things over with that as my pattern of example.

The Pathfinder table seems rather reasonable to me, and makes me recall back in 1999 when my character from that campaign went to build a home and was told for a four bedroom home in a small town, I needed 30,000 gold for just the basic home, without anything other than the wood and stone for supplies. I still think that rather high. Then 10,000 more to furnish it.
Dalor Darden Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 16:29:37
Growing a house may take time, but with magic it could also happen essentially overnight with the right spells. Elves are cool that way.
Bladewind Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 14:59:19
How big would you like to make it?

I have used pathfinders downtime building rules afore to great satisfaction, but those prices are quite universal:
A Mansion looks like this:
Mansion
Create 132 Goods, 4 Influence, 120 Labor (5,160 gp)

Rooms 1 Bar, 1 Bath, 4 Bedrooms, 1 Escape Route, 2 Furnishings (Bedroom and Sitting Room), 1 Kitchen, 1 Laundry, 1 Lavatory, 1 Lodging, 1 Office, 1 Secret Room, 2 Sitting Rooms, 1 Stall, 2 Storages

A huge manor housing a rich family and its servants.

For elves in Leuthilspar lower class housing would be formed from a single seed and gently grown into a plant or wooden shelter, with wooden furniture sometimes grown elsewhere but mostly integrated from the wooden bits of the home itself. Druids with woodshape and master transmuters are mostly used for these.

Fortresses, roads and manors tend to be marble or alabaster coaxed from the limestone or basalt hills with spells, with indoor crystalline walls, furniture and statues. I can imagine that crystalsong engineers ask a hefty fee for their elven high magic spellcasting practice quadrupling the cost but reducing the building times by four. For an elven mansion I'd add several room elements from arcane towers into its design, like observatoria and arcane storage rooms.
Seethyr Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 02:38:08
This makes me wish Ed or someone would make a “housing prices” table at some point. The economy can’t be universal Torilwide. Or maybe with all the magical travel it is? Again, beyond the scope of the OP.
AJA Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 00:50:31
I like the idea of a quest or adventure of sorts to steal one of the rare seeds used to grow a home in the Elven strongholds, but I suppose that is outside the scope of the original question.
Seravin Posted - 21 Mar 2019 : 22:37:06
I like the idea of a quest or adventure of sorts to find a rare seed that could be used to purchase a deed for a home in either of the Elven strongholds?
moonbeast Posted - 21 Mar 2019 : 16:43:58
I would recommend my old friend, Cormandorf the Half-Elven. Best real estate broker in Evermeet. He could even sell you a nice mansion in Myth Dranor, but it's a bit of a fixer-upper.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Dalor Darden Posted - 21 Mar 2019 : 14:39:21
Ed recently said that elves don't really deal much in gold when dealing with each other; but in rare seeds, plants and so on.

You could instead make an adventure out of how a character comes to be in possession of an estate no longer used by a family now gone; the estate being a reward instead of a purchase.
ericlboyd Posted - 21 Mar 2019 : 14:33:29
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello, everyone! I recently started a new campaign in 2nd Edition, with the campaign year beginning in 1353 DR. After much adventuring, I've been looking at the buying a house in Waterdeep guide Steven Schend wrote a while back. My question is, what would a respectable estate run in Evermeet and Evereska? I'm particularly interested in Ty'athalael and Leuthilspar on Evermeet, and obviously Evereska. What would be a good price for an elven adventurer fighter/mage looking for his own home, while allowing guests to stay over (elven), have his master suite, and a laboratory for item creation and spell research?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

One meel-li-on gold pieces. <evil cackle>

(Sorry, couln't resist.)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000