Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Questions regarding Damara, Ilmater and Monks.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
prototype00 Posted - 09 Feb 2019 : 17:02:28
So I'm planning out the backstory of my next character, a Damaran ex-mercenary whose company was wiped out, and he was left on the brink of death, but was rescued by Ilmatari Monks and nursed back to health (lost an eye *covered by a red bandage* and a leg from the knee down *replaced by a crude iron prosthesis*).

Now he roams the Realms, a crippled wandering healer (great at Medicine Skill and Skilled Herbalist), using his Longsword as a crutch. But when he needs to he can bust out the Kung Fu (Kensai Monk, basically).

So a couple of questions, if I may:

1. Is current Damara (or Damara of 10 years ago, say) riven by enough discord internally to require mercenaries? Would King Yarin Frostmantle the tyrant have hired them to fight rebellious nobles (considering that none of the traditional Damaran Ilmatari Paladins would fight for him).

2. I would like for this character to be an Ilmatari Broken-One (fits the character who is physically disabled). However I know that the dominant Monastic influence in the Bloodstone Lands is the Yellow Rose Monastery. Are they considered Broken-Ones of Ilmater? Would an acolyte who leaves the Yellow Rose Monastery after his training be considered a Disciple of St Sollars or a Broken One?

3. Any advice in generl for roleplaying a Broken-One of Ilmater? Do they have to be well versed in Religion, or do they leave the in-depth stuff to the Adorned? (I'm debating whether to take the Religion skill or not).

Thanks so much for the help!

prototype00
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Feb 2020 : 08:02:05
Seeker prototype00,

I would say a Broken One of Ilmater would be like a Jason Bourne but with hard limits on actions they take. Against those they hunt who have vicitimized people, the limit would be the shared edicts of the Triad. Justice is multifaceted to the Triad and considering how the Broken One would respond when catching up to that target would matter greatly. It's not just about how the Triad looks at it either. Tyr specifically has edicts commanding those of the faith or who seek wisdom in law, to follow "just" laws. Yeah, it gets subjective, but that is another topic.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by prototype00

So I'm planning out the backstory of my next character, a Damaran ex-mercenary whose company was wiped out, and he was left on the brink of death, but was rescued by Ilmatari Monks and nursed back to health (lost an eye *covered by a red bandage* and a leg from the knee down *replaced by a crude iron prosthesis*).

Now he roams the Realms, a crippled wandering healer (great at Medicine Skill and Skilled Herbalist), using his Longsword as a crutch. But when he needs to he can bust out the Kung Fu (Kensai Monk, basically).

So a couple of questions, if I may:

1. Is current Damara (or Damara of 10 years ago, say) riven by enough discord internally to require mercenaries? Would King Yarin Frostmantle the tyrant have hired them to fight rebellious nobles (considering that none of the traditional Damaran Ilmatari Paladins would fight for him).

2. I would like for this character to be an Ilmatari Broken-One (fits the character who is physically disabled). However I know that the dominant Monastic influence in the Bloodstone Lands is the Yellow Rose Monastery. Are they considered Broken-Ones of Ilmater? Would an acolyte who leaves the Yellow Rose Monastery after his training be considered a Disciple of St Sollars or a Broken One?

3. Any advice in generl for roleplaying a Broken-One of Ilmater? Do they have to be well versed in Religion, or do they leave the in-depth stuff to the Adorned? (I'm debating whether to take the Religion skill or not).

Thanks so much for the help!

prototype00

BadCatMan Posted - 10 Feb 2019 : 12:47:10
quote:
Originally posted by prototype00

I'm not fond of narrative jiggery-pokery to make things fit in my backstory, and judging from your write up, the Broken-Ones are more prevalent in the Dalelands anyway.

Well, it's not that they're more prevalent in the Dalelands, or not found elsewhere, but that we only have information about their activities in the Dalelands. Then again, it has been said twice. You're welcome to (and should) check the sources yourself to make your own interpretation.
prototype00 Posted - 10 Feb 2019 : 11:43:18
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I wrote about the Broken Ones and the Disciples of St Sollars for the wiki. That was up to 3.5 edition; I don't know what 5th edition says about them.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Broken_Ones
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Disciples_of_St._Sollars_the_Twice-Martyred
They are separate orders, but the Broken Ones have no monastery or hierarchy, so maybe lone members pass through established monasteries like Yellow Rose and look for potential recruits, or else there are small groups based in the monasteries, independent of the larger order. So I suppose an acolyte of the Monastery of the Yellow Rose might choose to switch to the Broken Ones, rather than continue as a Disciple of St Sollars. They certainly have overlap in survivalist skills and views, so it could be a smooth transition.

And there is room in Damara for multiple orders: the Order of St Dionysus is also based there.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Order_of_St._Dionysus

For my own Ilmatari Monk, I used Broken One abilities and concepts in place of a less-detailed order. Then made her a Drunken Master, switching to the Order of St Dionysus. :D

The Broken One substitution levels for 3.5 required 1 rank in Knowledge (Religion) to take them, as did all the sub levels in Champions of Valor. It's a pretty minor, generic requirement though, and religious knowledge is not a key part of them. Still, I tend to expect all monks to know about their own religion, and those of their rivals.

As for playing then, Broken Ones seem to be the quintessential adventuring monks of Ilmater: they wander, do good deeds, help and heal, fight Loviatans and other bad guys, and don't have have bosses, and that's it. They're the most PC-ready. Disciples of St Sollars are more tied to monastery and hierarchy, with ranks and rituals and responsibilities, which might not fit every campaign if played to the full.

Ah, and a great job you did too. Thank you for your answers.

I'm not fond of narrative jiggery-pokery to make things fit in my backstory, and judging from your write up, the Broken-Ones are more prevalent in the Dalelands anyway. I might make the character originate from there if that is the case.

I wonder which of the Dales he should be from? Battledale seems to export a lot of mercenaries...
BadCatMan Posted - 10 Feb 2019 : 09:51:17
I wrote about the Broken Ones and the Disciples of St Sollars for the wiki. That was up to 3.5 edition; I don't know what 5th edition says about them.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Broken_Ones
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Disciples_of_St._Sollars_the_Twice-Martyred
They are separate orders, but the Broken Ones have no monastery or hierarchy, so maybe lone members pass through established monasteries like Yellow Rose and look for potential recruits, or else there are small groups based in the monasteries, independent of the larger order. So I suppose an acolyte of the Monastery of the Yellow Rose might choose to switch to the Broken Ones, rather than continue as a Disciple of St Sollars. They certainly have overlap in survivalist skills and views, so it could be a smooth transition.

And there is room in Damara for multiple orders: the Order of St Dionysus is also based there.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Order_of_St._Dionysus

For my own Ilmatari Monk, I used Broken One abilities and concepts in place of a less-detailed order. Then made her a Drunken Master, switching to the Order of St Dionysus. :D

The Broken One substitution levels for 3.5 required 1 rank in Knowledge (Religion) to take them, as did all the sub levels in Champions of Valor. It's a pretty minor, generic requirement though, and religious knowledge is not a key part of them. Still, I tend to expect all monks to know about their own religion, and those of their rivals.

As for playing then, Broken Ones seem to be the quintessential adventuring monks of Ilmater: they wander, do good deeds, help and heal, fight Loviatans and other bad guys, and don't have have bosses, and that's it. They're the most PC-ready. Disciples of St Sollars are more tied to monastery and hierarchy, with ranks and rituals and responsibilities, which might not fit every campaign if played to the full.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000