Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Waterdeep Tavern where the staff dress as Drow?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 18 Nov 2018 : 01:01:19
I remember it appeared in one of Elaines novels and Elaith makes some snide comment about the Human staff wearing Fake elven ears and he says something like "Of course they'd have to use humans no true elf would diminish themselves by dressing as a drow"

Anyone know its name? and if it survived into 5ed Waterdeep?

If its still around I kind of like the idea that Jarlaxle owns it and does business "in plain sight" in his true form but claiming not to be a drow , hes only "Only dressed up as one" it strikes me as very Jarlaxle thing to do...
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Feb 2020 : 21:54:01
Great Reader Dargoth,

I do recall that myself, though I had completely forgotten about it. The reality is, they would never get away with doing what amounts to "blackface" these days in a novel. I think that author wouldn't even get it published, and if by some chance they did, it would probably be the last one in that arena of novels.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I remember it appeared in one of Elaines novels and Elaith makes some snide comment about the Human staff wearing Fake elven ears and he says something like "Of course they'd have to use humans no true elf would diminish themselves by dressing as a drow"

Anyone know its name? and if it survived into 5ed Waterdeep?

If its still around I kind of like the idea that Jarlaxle owns it and does business "in plain sight" in his true form but claiming not to be a drow , hes only "Only dressed up as one" it strikes me as very Jarlaxle thing to do...

jdb1972 Posted - 09 Dec 2018 : 02:52:07
This seems like the sort of establishment Jarlaxle would buy just because.
Irennan Posted - 18 Nov 2018 : 09:06:50
I don't know if the specific tavern from the Volo's guide has survived, but in Death Masks, Ed says that some places have had their staff dress as a drow after Eilistraee appeared under the walls of Waterdeep and many of her followers traveled to the city.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Nov 2018 : 03:50:12
I could have sworn it was mentioned in passing in Dragon Heist, but I don't recall where and I can't find the reference now.
Dargoth Posted - 18 Nov 2018 : 03:36:55
Thanks AJA looks like its very close to where the Hawk Man Walking statute ended up which probably doesnt bode well for its survival (unless it was rebuilt of course...)adding to Jarlaxles finding the location amusing is the fact it would be within walking distance of The Temple of the Seldarine and the Caslre and Palace of Waterdeep..
AJA Posted - 18 Nov 2018 : 01:23:45
The Crawling Spider, Castle Ward. "The waitresses....wear black bodysuits and masks to make them look like drow."

2E Volo's Guide to Waterdeep (p.21-22), 2E City of Splendors: Adventurer's Guide to the City (p.20).

No idea about 5E.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000