Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Component List for Magical Items and Rituals

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 26 Oct 2018 : 14:50:26
In another thread, we've been discussing trade in the realms, and one thing I pointed out is that trade in the realms will have one very important factor seen that is somewhat different from our own world's trade markets. Essentially, there will likely be a larger market for body components from creatures or strange elements of the natural world that have "ties" to magic. I have seen people try and list out what things are commonly used for spell components, etc.. but those are usually X rock or gem, etc... and not necessarily things that ring out as intrinsically magical. Also, honestly, I believe most people disregard spell components... but when someone is making a magic item, it might be more important. So, just for fun, lets just name off "THINGS" that might be deemed necessary in the creation of potions, scrolls, wands, etc...

First, I'd like to mention PREPARED FORMS that these "components" might come in rather than just being raw "eye of newt", etc..., and then we can move onto specific components as well. Feel free to come up with some other forms, as I'm sure I'm not thinking of them all.

COMMON FORMS OF ITEMS USED IN RITUALS AND MAGIC ITEM CREATION

Ink mixed with/made from the blood or other bodily fluid of a creature

Paper or other scribable material made from the skin, scales, hair, fur, feathers, etc... of a creature

Candles or incense made from the rendered flesh of a creature

leather, furs, or pelts made from the skin of a creature

Quills made from the feathers, small bones, exoskeleton, etc... of a creature.

thread or cloth made from the fur or fiber of magical creatures (it may be a blend with things like common cotton or wool, etc...)

Salves and oils made from the extractions of certain creatures. This might also come in the form of bottled tears, saliva, venom, urine, excrement, stomach acids, kidney stones, etc... or such things as the hairy mass from a creatures stomach such as that known in our world as a bezoar from the stomach.

Magically prepared body parts such as an eye that's been petrified, a body part encased in amber using the equivalent of stoneshape, etc..

body parts which might be ground into powder and added into different types of flour, boiled for broth, or added into other "natural" substances for the purposes of baking, making jerky, sausages, or "meat products" such as meat pies or casseroles. This could be the basis for a very minor type of magic which lasts short term, is cheap to make, and is fairly plentiful. For instance, broth of fever reduction made from winter wolf bones/meat, muffins of allergy reduction, trollgut sausage which acts like cure minor wounds, hell hound sausage which keeps you warm, etc..

INTRINSICALLY MAGICAL MATERIALS

unicorn mane, tail, tears, horn, pelt, meat, and bone

medusa eye, snakes, venom sacs,

Otyugh stomach

cockatrice talons and beak

blood of nearly any kind of magical creature

illithid, intellect devourer, or grell brain

displacer beast, kamadan, or blink dog pelt

Feathers from nearly any kind of magical creature

dragon horns, leather, wings, claws, teeth, bones, blood, meat, etc..

damn, and its late, and I need to start work. I'll try to come back and add more here.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 28 Oct 2018 : 15:04:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Look at the 2E monster books. The old Monstrous Compendiums gave much, much more info on monsters than what we currently get. Those books/supplements gave info on the social habits of the monsters, and they also discussed the uses for various pieces-parts of the monster.

As far as D&D is concerned, I "grew up" in 2E, so I've always held those monster descriptions as the high point that has rarely been reached since then. The Monsternomicon books for the Iron Kingdoms RPG (the first version, based on 3.x) were nearly as good. Paizo has done some good stuff when they devote an entire book to a dozen or so monsters, but their regular Bestiaries follow the same pattern of reducing monsters to boxes of HP and XP.

Indeed. Those Mountrous Compendium (2E) entries led to quite a few adventures because someone decided they wanted to either make a certain magic item or have it commissioned and had to supply the "special" material needed (after conferring with a sage, of course). A spell was even researched, Awaken Property, that would be used in the making of the item to bring forth the desired ability or power.

Some of the other books also mentioned stuff like wood from a tree hit by lightning, a large rock that once floated (a stone moved by a flash flood), and don't forget the old standy: sky iron (meteroite).
sleyvas Posted - 27 Oct 2018 : 11:03:24
INTRINSICALLY MAGICAL ITEMS continued (to keep the list building... assign properties in general)

al-mir'aj foot, horn and pelt - for abilities dealing with short range teleportation

beguiler eyes and pelt - for abilities dealing with true sight and camouflage

behir horns, teeth, claws, and leather- useful in the creation of items that generate lightning or protect from it

Dark Tree Wood - particularly useful in the creation of wands, staves, and rods dealing with necromantic spells dealing with blood, or with wounding weapons significantly made of wood such as spears or axes.
Dark Tree eyes - useful in the creation of magic items causing confusion
Dark Tree paper - useful in the creation of scrolls and spellbooks dealing with necromantic magic

Treant or Dryad Wood - particularly useful in any form of druidic wand, staff, or rod, as well as readily taking enchantments for weapons primarily made of wood.
Treant or Dryad paper - commonly used in the creation of scrolls and spellbooks

starsnake skin - useful in making leather items that absorb magic or generate lightning, as well as articles of clothing dealing with enchantment magic. It can also be used to make a paper that's useful for the scribing of scrolls or spellbook pages of enchantment and illusion.
starsnake venom - useful in making potions that cause sleep, or allow one to receive visions through dreams

uthraki pelt - useful in making leather pieces that allow changing of form, minor regeneration, or work to stop divinatory magics involving sight
petrified or amber encased uthraki eyes - typically used as part of wands that stop divinatory magic involving sight

choldrith webbing - useful in the creation of magical silks in the form of ropes or clothing
choldrith venom - useful in the creation of inks for spells that revolve around paralyzing or holding an individual

cloaker skin -

George Krashos Posted - 27 Oct 2018 : 03:46:31
Most of Ed's monster write-ups told you what bits of that creature could be used for what potion/spell/magic item.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2018 : 15:21:03
Look at the 2E monster books. The old Monstrous Compendiums gave much, much more info on monsters than what we currently get. Those books/supplements gave info on the social habits of the monsters, and they also discussed the uses for various pieces-parts of the monster.

As far as D&D is concerned, I "grew up" in 2E, so I've always held those monster descriptions as the high point that has rarely been reached since then. The Monsternomicon books for the Iron Kingdoms RPG (the first version, based on 3.x) were nearly as good. Paizo has done some good stuff when they devote an entire book to a dozen or so monsters, but their regular Bestiaries follow the same pattern of reducing monsters to boxes of HP and XP.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000