Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Thunderblessing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shades of eternity Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 02:56:03
I loved this concept in 3rd edition.

Suddenly dwarves are going through a baby boom and are studying arcane magic as a "counterculture"

I was kind of looking forward to the first dwarven mage on par with the big ones.

It's been two edition.

How would you use it in today's cannon as several hundred years have passed?

How would it have changed dwarven society?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Oct 2018 : 09:36:23
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I'd say it's because most racial pantheons don't really have an overwhelming investment in magic as part of their culture, hence why the Seldarine pantheon head holds the magic portfolio while the the Morndinsamman don't have patrons of magic.

That, and when the dwarven pantheon was created, dwarves couldn't be arcane casters and magical items had a chance of failing, in their hands. You don't need a deity to cover something that doesn't work for you.
LordofBones Posted - 08 Oct 2018 : 05:16:49
Not particularly. The Morndinsamman power of magic is Laduguer, though he's more of a racial deity of the duergar than a patron of all dwarven spellcasters.

I'd say it's because most racial pantheons don't really have an overwhelming investment in magic as part of their culture, hence why the Seldarine pantheon head holds the magic portfolio while the the Morndinsamman don't have patrons of magic.
Delnyn Posted - 07 Oct 2018 : 21:21:30
quote:
Originally posted by Corruption

Dwarves can live for centuries. Just imagine how powerful they could be. So, it 300 years have past, it may still be a child of that baby-boom.
If the mages were based on geomancy, and Earth Elemental magic, there would not be too much of a problem. Enchantments andrunes are the same.

However, there may rise up a dwarven God of Magic.

Would Dugmaren Brightmantle already serve as the dwarven god of magic?
shades of eternity Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 20:41:35
sounds like they could use it to make arcane wielders in dwarvern society not unlike the freemasons, especially if they got slapped down. Semi-secret and trying to justify that they are a lot older then they are.

I really like the idea of mystra being reskinned as a dwarvern god or even a new dwavern god of magic because of it.

Maybe we can bring it back as a side effect of the resundering? instead of the gold dwarves of the south, what if it were the shield dwarves of the north, which would cause serious resources issues and contention with their human and elven allies?
Gelcur Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 19:55:57
So I don't know if it was ever explicitly spelled out but I always imagine the dwarves of the Realms unable to get a break. In 1383 DR the War of Gold and Gloom ended resulting in the dwarves losing more than half of their warriors. The Thunder Blessing was in 1306 DR the war started in 1369 DR, giving a generation of those born just enough time to reach adulthood. To me it always seemed this was a power play by Moradin, to not only reclaim Shanatar, but to begin bringing the grey dwarves back into the fold AND to eliminate the dark dwarven gods.

Add to all this the stone plague in 1480 DR dwarven populace has probably stayed status quo. Though the dwarves having more arcane magic wielders still would be a thing. Just my two cents.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 13:21:08
Learned Scribe Shades of Eternity,

I concur: it was a fantastic idea regarding the Gold Dwarves. I also like the point that Seeker Corruption is making regarding the power of the Dwarves after that long.

After having read the Complete Book of Elves and Dwarves, reading the FR source materials on those races, and juxtaposing the information found within against human philosophies (which we really only have real world to pull from since FR human material is derived from the real world mostly, in a philosophical sense) I can only believe that it is a long life outlook that drives those races to take a slower, more thoughtful approach to living. If Elves and Dwarves did live their lives as fast, powerful, and violently as humans did, humans likely wouldn't exist! Here is to the Elves and Dwarves not being as interested in conquest as humans in the Realms!

Best,

Corruption Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 12:18:09
Dwarves can live for centuries. Just imagine how powerful they could be. So, it 300 years have past, it may still be a child of that baby-boom.
If the mages were based on geomancy, and Earth Elemental magic, there would not be too much of a problem. Enchantments andrunes are the same.

However, there may rise up a dwarven God of Magic.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000