Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 3.5: Spider Man for drow - the Spider Touched

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
redking Posted - 16 Sep 2018 : 11:09:48
Spider touched template

An extremely small number of drow males mutate after being bitten by a faerzress infused monstrous spider. The drow males that mutate after being bitten gain some of the characteristics and abilities of spiders. This rare mutation generally only occurs once in a generation in a given drow city, so there is usually only one or two spider touched drow living in any given city at any time.

It is unknown why only drow males mutate and become spider touched. The clergy of Lolth teach that being spider touched is a blessing of Lolth given to inferior drow males when Lolth is rarely moved by pity.

Many drow males will deliberately expose themselves to the bites of monstrous spiders in areas of particularly strong faerzress radiation in the hopes that they might become spider touched. Many drow males are killed this way. These drow males seek to follow in the footsteps of the famous ‘Spider Drow’, the dashing spider touched drow male of drow folklore.

Creating a spider touched creature

The spider touched is a template that can be added to any drow male (referred to hereafter as the creature). This template is not inherited.

Abilities: +6 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +6 Constitution.
Web (Sp): The creature may shoot webs at will as if casting the web spell as a standard action. Caster level equals the total character level of the creature.
Spider Climb (Ex): The creature is always affected by a spider climb effect.
Falling damage: The creature ignores the first 30 feet of falling damage.
Skills: +8 racial bonus to hide, balance, spot, jump, move silently, and climb skills.
Spider Senses:
Tremorsense (Ex): The creature can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground.
Quick reactions: The creature gains a +4 bonus to initiative checks.
Uncanny dodge (Ex):The creature can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordofBones Posted - 17 Sep 2018 : 16:06:32
CR...+3, at most? What really stands out are the spider-senses, but they're not really gamebreakers, especially at higher levels.
redking Posted - 17 Sep 2018 : 11:06:52
Anyone want to take a stab in the dark as to what the LA and CR adjustments would be for this template?
redking Posted - 17 Sep 2018 : 05:25:08
Wooly - good ideas. Immunity to surprise has many implications that I don't want to deal with, so I will go with precedent instead. Uncanny Dodge, the 4th level rogue ability does that well enough. As for initiative, I will give a +4 to initiative, stackable with improved initiative.

I have modified my original post.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2018 : 14:51:24
Spider sense is easy -- a serious initiative bonus, along with never being surprised.
redking Posted - 16 Sep 2018 : 11:53:34
The Elite Stat Array in 3.5e is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Assuming the 15 is strength, that brings the strength score to 21, which is an approximation of "super strength", although nowhere near that of a Hill Giant which has 25 strength. The strength is equivalent to an Ogre (21 strength).

Web spell as a standard action at will is nothing. You did remind me that it really should be an (Sp) ability and not an (Ex) ability. Compare to creatures that have numerous at will spells.

I looked into other ways to express the spidey sense but it became very convoluted. Tremorsense is a very powerful ability by itself.
The Masked Mage Posted - 16 Sep 2018 : 11:33:55
I'm not sure how the abilities match up in modern version with 2nd Ed. but if they are still based on 18 or 20 or 25, then three +6 abilities is HUGE. Seems a bit of an overkill; would be better to have it a set number - like what if that drow already had high states there (17s and 18s, and then becomes like 24s... too much). Similarly, the web at will is a bit overpowered too, compared to spiderman's ability. Maybe look to the wand of spider strands (i think that's what it was called) for the ability.

Conversely, spidey sense is way more than feeling nearby tremors. It would be more like constant benifits of an improved haste spell combined with some kind ability to detect motion/scent/etc.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000