Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Undermountain and the Ethereal travel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fendrikor Posted - 10 Sep 2018 : 07:03:46
I have a connundrum for you all, and as realms scholars.

My party are currently playing through the 2e Ruins of Under mountain boxed set but i have updated it to 5e. We are running a multiparty campaign with 26 players in all, running as a guild based out of the yawning portal.

Recently they encountered one of Nadrun's magic doors. An old wizened wizardly face took shape within the doors stone work and it asked them to answer riddles two to enter through.

Thedra Stonefinger, a dwarf barbarian, thought he would try his hand at the first riddle but answered incorrectly. As a result the door opened wide its maw and began to vacume him into the void beyond (it was a planeshift spell). He failed his saves and was pulled through, everyone deemed him dead and they left the door.

The random plane i sent him too turned out to be the border ethereal, depositing him at the foot of the door he could see the party asif through frosted glass. Lonely in that mist shrouded realm he had no means of communicating with them, and they had no idea he was still alive.

The priestess of Eldath, Nerida Cresswell, rolled an insight check to determine what might have happened and couldnt shake the feeling she was being watched, swearing she had glimpsed Thedra from the corner of her eye.

They returned to the well, he followed them to it but remained at the bottom as the party ascended.

He then asked if he could do some reconnasance through undermountain while the party were away.. i said a tentative 'i dont see why not' but it left me wondering how traversable is Undermountain given its barriers to planar travel?

Can he pass through the walls? Could he simply fly down into the deepest depths? What might he encounter?

I was considering ghosts of drow, duergar, ancient dwarves of Melairbode, Ethereal filchers, chests or things that exist in the ethereal but not the material and more. But i would love to brain storm this with anyone who is interested.

How would you rule or limit travel within undermountain in such a form?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fendrikor Posted - 15 Sep 2018 : 04:15:59
Alright i ruled that he can travel most places. If for some reason Halaster wanted to block Ethereal travel to a specific room he will use the Basilisk / Maedar blood mortar mixture.

Currently they found the Dwarf to be alive, but with 3 points of exhaustion. They used a blink spell to bring him food and water and are now considering using a Banishment spell to bring him back to the prime material... having the mage blink and cast banishment while within the Ethereal. They have been using Sending to communicate with the barbarian, who has already fought off one ghost. Suffice to say, his survival is in constant jeapordy.

Heres hoping they can save him!

I did a recount and currently there are 20 players not 26 and most of the players RP on discord in the yawning portal inn between delves into undermountain... Recently they started exploring the Sewers looking for another entry into undermountain (If they are sucessful, they will discover the long dark stair).

Thankyou for all your input!
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Sep 2018 : 17:49:17
-That sounds like one hell of a group/campaign with that many people.
TBeholder Posted - 10 Sep 2018 : 17:00:07
quote:
Originally posted by Fendrikor

left me wondering how traversable is Undermountain given its barriers to planar travel?

Can he pass through the walls? Could he simply fly down into the deepest depths? What might he encounter?

Non-passable things include living tissue, certain materials (special types of mortar made with gorgon or maedar blood, for one), magic effects: [Force], some Abjuration.
Given that Undermountain includes countless magic fields holding it together, protecting, or absorbing some spells to fuel others, and some of them can be more that a little wonky, it's probably not much easier to navigate the place on Border Ethereal than on Prime, except where "flight" is useful.
Yes, there should be some ghosts. Also, some gaze attacks (specifically including basilisks) affect Border Ethereal from Prime.
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Sep 2018 : 11:21:31
I found a specific quote about it:

"various phase spells and abilities generally work, allowing creatures to merge with, and move through (as opposed to destroying, altering, or temporarily removing) stone"
Ayrik Posted - 10 Sep 2018 : 09:20:00
Undermountain is already infested with monsters and traps and deceptions ... there's no reason some of them couldn't be ethereal.

You might want to "remind" your players that ethereal creatures (like ghosts) might lurk within or be trapped within such a dangerously magical place, and that these things might remain inert until their attention is attracted by ethereal intrusions.
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Sep 2018 : 07:42:51
For the most part, Undermountain is not proofed against Ethereal travel. There are several specific exceptions - so pretty much any time you want something to block the ethereal travel.

In such cases things are enchanted to "block all scrying attempts, and #147;scramble#148; gaseous, ethereal, and noncorporeal beings trying to pass"

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000