Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 WIPs on DMsGuild

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 19 Mar 2018 : 19:49:06
Would you consider it poor form to put a work in progress up on DMSGuild? I don’t mean an unedited brainstorm of garbage, nor would I consider charging for it, but I have a bestiary that has the majority of its creatures done. The artist simply doesn’t have the time to keep up with me, and i plan on adding what she is doing as time passes (always bg with a few more creatures).

Would that be something that turns you off from picking up even a free or pay-what-you-want item?

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Seethyr Posted - 04 Apr 2018 : 06:40:26
Thank you all for the advice. I will just post the link from my Google drive here and wait for completion. At this point, it’s almost all about the artist. The book itself is pretty much finished.

TWC7 Monsters DRAFT
Storyteller Hero Posted - 20 Mar 2018 : 00:48:47
Based on my personal experience, it's better to have something that feels reasonably complete on its own, and improve upon it over time, rather than something that feels noticeably unfinished.

An exception would be a preview of an upcoming product, in which case I would recommend against charging for it.

Kentinal Posted - 19 Mar 2018 : 23:35:52
If text is complete and illustrations the only thing to be added it might not be that bad an idea, however an uncompleted item is never a good idea. Users can end up with different versions and sometimes am illustration has the impact of many words not written.
Overall I would advise waiting until you have a complete presentation then one subject to change ever week or month because a picture was added.
You could do version numbers of course, however even that can get tiring for those that look for updates on changes.

The always subject to change, even for free, would not inspire me to download even for free.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Mar 2018 : 21:35:40
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Would you consider it poor form to put a work in progress up on DMSGuild? I don’t mean an unedited brainstorm of garbage, nor would I consider charging for it, but I have a bestiary that has the majority of its creatures done. The artist simply doesn’t have the time to keep up with me, and i plan on adding what she is doing as time passes (always bg with a few more creatures).

Would that be something that turns you off from picking up even a free or pay-what-you-want item?

I don't do a lot on the DM's Guild, myself... But I'd shy away from anything that I knew wasn't a completed product, simply because I don't like the idea of using something something rules-based and knowing it could change when I'm not looking.

Again, though, I may not be the ideal respondent; most of what I look for on the DM's Guild is either something with plenty of lore, or something I can mine for non-rules ideas (like a bunch of NPCs or a list of tavern drinks).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000