Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I need help illustrating Zenthil Keep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Satrianix Posted - 08 Mar 2018 : 05:57:23
Hello, friends from Candle Keep.

My name is Derek and I am a cartographer. I run the Elven Tower website and have illustrated a lot of maps of the realms that are on sale at the DMs Guild. Maybe you have seen some of my work before.

I joined this community to ask your assistance. I am currently working on creating illustrations of the settlements in the Moon Sea area. I have decided to do an illustration of Zenthil Keep. I must disclose that I AM NOT well informed about the Realms and I have never read a novel. I play in the setting and come up with improvised lore as I go.

I have seen many reference pictures of Zenthil Keep. However, I am informed in the current version of the realms Zenthil Keep was destroyed. I want to draw an illustration of the ruins of zenthil keep. The problem is that I do not know how destroyed it is. So that's what I need from you, pointers of how a current illustration would differ from the available ones. Are the walls destroyed? is every building in shambles? is it just roughed up and abandoned?

Thanks for your assistance.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TomCosta Posted - 10 Mar 2018 : 00:55:43
Depends on the in game DR year/game edition. Zhentil Keep has gone through a lot. In 5E it's a ruin. IIRC correctly the bridges were destroyed when Zhentil Keep was first destroyed in the late 2e era. It was largely reclaimed only to be "razed" and "destroyed" by the Shadovar. I'm guessing the bridges were destroyed. As a flying city has no need of bridges, but the people on the ground do to supply and move to defend themselves. Repairing the bridges would definitely be one of the first things necessary to reclaim the Keep.
Satrianix Posted - 09 Mar 2018 : 02:03:52
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

The wiki also has a picture of Zhentil Keep's bridges, http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zhentil_Keep

What about the bridges? do you think they're still in good shape?
TomCosta Posted - 09 Mar 2018 : 01:51:33
The wiki also has a picture of Zhentil Keep's bridges, http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zhentil_Keep
Markustay Posted - 08 Mar 2018 : 19:35:50
IIRC, this was touched upon briefly in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy by Rich Baker. However, its pretty much just what LoB said above - it was a tiny stop in a very long series of adventures that went all over the Moonsea and beyond (including into space!)

Funny that you should mention this - I HATE doing settlement maps, but I am working on a new Moonsea regional one. Probably the single hardest area in all The Realms to map, because no two older maps line-up precisely (For example, the Citadel of the Raven moves all over those mountains.... so long as it stays 'to the left side somewhere'). Hopefully I am finally able to provide the definitive map of the region - one that they can then show to Mike Schley, and he can copy and 'make pretty' ('Art' is secondary to what I do).
LordofBones Posted - 08 Mar 2018 : 10:42:09
According the the wiki, the northern districts are a pirate haven, while the southern district is a shadowy ruin inhabited by the undead and necromancers. The only actual illustration of the Citadel of the Raven I've seen (Villain's Lorebook, IIRC) looks like a poor man's Barad-dur, so I'd suggest taking cues from how a theoretical wreck of Sauron's fortress would look like, then downscale it. The north should be a hodgepodge of pirate shanties, smuggler's lairs, black markets and brothels, while the south should look creepy and mildly gothic, I guess.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000