Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 "Cormesta"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MayNovember Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 20:03:59
Question for sages. Reading through the Old Grey Box, DM's Sourcebook of the Realms, page 25 under Luvon Greencloak's entry I find mention of '...before the Elves of Cormesta retreated to Evermeet'. I'm curious if this is a typo, or if Cormanthor was originally known as Cormesta, or is it some other place, site, or thing altogether?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 01 Mar 2020 : 00:48:05
Great Reader Kentinal,

So, just to clarify: the So Saith Ed is the one source on this, no published sources, is that correct?

Not of course saying Ed isn't thee source, just curious as I couldn't find any.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

This question was asked before http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12826 and no answer achieved at that time.

However later that year
quote:
21 August:-

Hi again, all.
Jorkens, "Cormesta" was a tent settlement located in various spots on the edges of the great forest that contains the ruins of Myth Drannor and borders or surrounds many of the Dales.
In other words, it was moved about by the elves to avoid Zhentarim and brigand depredations, plus attempts by wealthy Sembians to dominate it. The elves established it in the late 1330s, and it appeared in various forms until around 1362 DR or so; they intended it to be a "trading fair" where humans and other races could meet and trade with elves, hopefully without blundering deeper into the forest.
It served its purpose, but wasn't a shining success - - other than as a way for the elves to learn and identify some of the Sembian and Zhent traders who were most keen to acquire elven magic and goods, by whatever means (bribery, murder, robbery, etc. as well as through trade). Luvon saw its usefulness in this regard (as in: "Brings the b***tards to one place, so we can save on time and foot-sores and arrows in taking them down," though those actual words would never, of course, be uttered by Greencloak), but did not think that its establishment was that great an idea. For one thing, its moving about led to wild tavern-tales and expeditions to search for "lost Cormesta," and beliefs about all sorts of magic elves used to hide the place, which would of course be very useful to humans if hey could get their hands on such Art, by any means.
All the above comes from Ed's notes and discussions with him over the years.
love,
THO

From http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_070809-09.htm

TBeholder Posted - 13 Feb 2018 : 14:14:04
Yes, he asked that in "Questions for Ed Greenwood" thread.
MayNovember Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 22:22:55
Wow thanks Kentinal, that is more than I imagined.
Kentinal Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 20:43:34
This question was asked before http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12826 and no answer achieved at that time.

However later that year
quote:
21 August:-

Hi again, all.
Jorkens, "Cormesta" was a tent settlement located in various spots on the edges of the great forest that contains the ruins of Myth Drannor and borders or surrounds many of the Dales.
In other words, it was moved about by the elves to avoid Zhentarim and brigand depredations, plus attempts by wealthy Sembians to dominate it. The elves established it in the late 1330s, and it appeared in various forms until around 1362 DR or so; they intended it to be a "trading fair" where humans and other races could meet and trade with elves, hopefully without blundering deeper into the forest.
It served its purpose, but wasn't a shining success - - other than as a way for the elves to learn and identify some of the Sembian and Zhent traders who were most keen to acquire elven magic and goods, by whatever means (bribery, murder, robbery, etc. as well as through trade). Luvon saw its usefulness in this regard (as in: "Brings the b***tards to one place, so we can save on time and foot-sores and arrows in taking them down," though those actual words would never, of course, be uttered by Greencloak), but did not think that its establishment was that great an idea. For one thing, its moving about led to wild tavern-tales and expeditions to search for "lost Cormesta," and beliefs about all sorts of magic elves used to hide the place, which would of course be very useful to humans if hey could get their hands on such Art, by any means.
All the above comes from Ed's notes and discussions with him over the years.
love,
THO

From http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_070809-09.htm

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000