Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Happened to Tiamat?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delnyn Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 00:37:28
Well met to all,
Is there any material that says how Tiamat got imprisoned on Avernus? As of 4e, I understod, he served Bane and presumably resided in his domain. It just seemed out of the blue that in "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" and "Rise of Tiamat" showed Tiamat trying to escape her imprisonment and enter Toril.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cordially,
Delnyn
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BrennonGoldeye Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 22:16:49
Lets us all not forget that Tiamat is a Deity before she is a Dragon. Though humanoids think of Her as the the 5 Headed Queen her first incarnation(to this Prime Material) was Chaos over the Water. Bahamut/Xymor/Marduk shows the different ways a Diety can exist at the same time.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 21:26:28
If Jeff Grubb says Takhisis and Tiamat are one and the same (since the Gods of Krynn were the gods of his own D&D campaign) I'm going with them being the same.

A god can have great power in one world and much less power in another.
Zeromaru X Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 20:57:23
For the stuff about Tiamat in the Nine Hells and being slave to Bane, Ed devised an interesting answer here. That storyline is canon, because Erin didn't contradicted it in Fire in the Blood (her 4th novel in the Brimstone Angels saga, that is tied with the 5e Tiamat adventures).

You can check it here:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=7#464818

As for what happened to her after the 5e adventures... well, we don't know. I don't have those adventures (the people in the place I usually play maligned those adventures so much they didn't ordered those to sell...), but I guess whatever final in the final one of those can be canon.
LordofBones Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 15:29:53
2e and 3.5e lore made it clear Mama T had an amicable relationship with the Lords of Baator. Other than possibly 1e - I have no idea what the 1e cosmology was like anyway - the prison plane has always been Carceri. Only Falazure, Nerull and that one naga deity live there because they like it.

What makes Baator worse than Gehenna or the Waste, anyway? If I wanted someone to suffer eternally, there are worse places than Baator. The baatezu have better things to do with their time.
The Masked Mage Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 15:15:50
I don't think she (Tiamat is a she) was actually imprisoned in Avernus. Rather, I think she was stuck there because she was destroyed in the realms - the same as happens to demons and devils. Avernus has always (since 1st E) been Tiamat's home, so if she were banished that's where she's end up stuck.

All the "naughty gods are in hell because they were naughty" is pure crap. Erase it. Burn it. To Avernus with it.
Markustay Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 01:20:35
I personally think we'll be getting the answer to this SOON.

Look for videos online from the WotC team about Tiamat, illithids, and the Gith - they're all connected in some way (Gith himself visited her when she was in Hell, and made some sort of deal, which lead to the Gith race being able to control dragons and break-free from the Illithids). They hinted that there is a 'bigger story' that's yet to unfold, including why Tiamat was in hell in the first place.

But originally, in OD&D, she was there because she wanted to be there. Only recently - since the end of 3e when they started spinning hell as some sort of punishment (bringing it back to its roots) - did they start talking about her being punished in some way. I'm looking forward to whatever they do with this old plothook.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000