Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Clan Azer, and forged Azer?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Starshade Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 16:36:45
I realized the generic lore who appeared in 4th edition don't match the background of Azer in the realms. I saw on the net references to forged, artificial metallic construct Azer as the "original", anyone who knows the history of the planar dwarf race? Is Clan Azer a FR adaption of some other type of Azer?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
see Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 05:09:49
Huh, that's what I get for not checking the 4e description myself.

"THESE FIRE-INFUSED DWARVES often serve fire giants or fire titans, either out of obedience or devotion. However, some azers live free and pursue their own goals, for good or evil."

So, 4e Azer are definitely dwarves.

So looking further, the construct-like bit is, in fact, from 5th edition, where it is declared that "Azer don't reproduce. They are each crafted from bronze by another azer and imbued with a portion of the crafter's inner flame."

So 5th edition is the edition with the out-of-left-field transformation into forged brass filled with flame instead of dwarves, possibly sparked by the 3.5 description.
TBeholder Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 03:39:12
Clan Azerkyn are in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.

For planar azers as such, planewalker.com refers to Manual of the Planes (D&D 1.0), The Inner Planes, Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One, Tales of the Lamp, Al-Qadim Monstrous Compendium Appendix, Monster Manual (D&D 3.5).
Diffan Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 01:53:10
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

That explains it. Wonder why they made the 4E version so odd..

That question applies to so much...

Looking at Azer in 4e's monster manual they're elementals (4e's version of Outsider of the fire subtype). A successful Arcana check DC 15 relates the following...

"Long ago, all dwarves were slaves to the giants and titans. Today's dwarves are the descendants of those who freed themselves. Azers are dwarves that did not escape captivity before they were corrupted into fiery beings by their 9overlords. Although a few have escaped captivity since, most azers remain bound to their fire giant masters to this day."

what about that says anything relating to constructs?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 01:33:34
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

That question applies to so much...
Starshade Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 23:30:19
quote:
Originally posted by see
The 3.5 Monster Manual, on the other hand, revises this to say "Azers are dwarflike beings native to the Elemental Plane of Fire". The description of their appearance says one "resembles a dwarf . . . has brass-colored skin and appears to have been forged from fire and metal."

4th edition then apparently ran with the "appears" from 3.5 to declare them constructs.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As an addendum... Dragon 350 had an article entitled "Legacies of Ancient Empires" by Eric L Boyd. This article presented some new planetouched races to the Realms for 3.5E. One was the Azerblood, descended from dwarves and azer.

I'm a huge fan of the entire planetouched concept (at least, until 4E got a hold of it) so I liked that article.

Think I have to look into that article
Though, I think, since dwarf clan and bloodlines mean so much to them, sounds interesting to have a "common" faerun dwarf with relatives on the plane of fire. Even the 3.5 feat would give some roleplay possibilities.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 19:01:15
As an addendum... Dragon 350 had an article entitled "Legacies of Ancient Empires" by Eric L Boyd. This article presented some new planetouched races to the Realms for 3.5E. One was the Azerblood, descended from dwarves and azer.

I'm a huge fan of the entire planetouched concept (at least, until 4E got a hold of it) so I liked that article.
see Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 18:15:46
In the 1st edition Monster Manual II, Azer are introduced. They are a "a race of humanoid creatures inhabiting the Elemental Plane of Fire. . . . They appear much as dwarves with brass-colored skin and flames for hair. Their skin is metallic, which accoutns for their high armor class."

The place azer first show up in 2nd edition is in the Spelljammer supplement Practical Planetology, where they are described in almost-identical terms, and their "ecology" section consists of a declaration that it isn't known what they eat. This is repeated in the Al-Qadim supplement Secrets of the Lamp and the Monstrous Compendium Annual volume I. The latter two put them under the heading "Elemental-Kin".

In third edition's Monster Manual, azer are a creature of the Outsider type, and it is explicitly declared "Azers are dwarves native to the Elemental Plane of Fire", and reference is made to "a normal dwarf" in explaining where they have flames. Their skin is "metallic" and "brass-colored".

The 3.5 Monster Manual, on the other hand, revises this to say "Azers are dwarflike beings native to the Elemental Plane of Fire". The description of their appearance says one "resembles a dwarf . . . has brass-colored skin and appears to have been forged from fire and metal."

4th edition then apparently ran with the "appears" from 3.5 to declare them constructs.

5th now says that the resemblance to dwarves is "a facade", that "beneath its metallic-looking skin, an azer is a being of fire."

So. Azer are not clearly described as to what they are "biologically" early on (any more than pretty much any planar dwellers), are pretty clearly a kind of planes-dwelling dwarf in 3rd, are more vague in 3.5, are a construct in 4th, and are an elemental in 5th.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000