Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 5e Cosmology

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SABERinBLUE Posted - 23 Jan 2017 : 23:35:32
Okay I am sorry, I am sure this have been covered to death but I looked and I couldn't find anything conclusive. Is the Great Wheel canonically how the Realms cosmology works now? If so, where are the extra planes like Dweomerheart and the House of Knowledge? Outlands, or incorporated into the Outers?
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Mar 2020 : 19:59:29
Acolyte neutrondecay,

I see what you mean there. I like how Eric described it, but I also reflect back on an idea that someone had regarding the mysteries of it all. We always see wizards, priests, etc. trying to find new ways to make 'x' happen. Using the Tree of the Wheel as the best option to explain something unexplanable to a third dimension being is great because it leaves the mysteries of exploration and discovery of said ways open. Having everything defined at the end of the day can be very bad.

Just ask Q from Start Trek: Voyager, S2E18, "Death Wish." ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by neutrondecay

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The problem with the Great Tree isn't the structure of the cosmology, it's the content -- with deities living in different places than described before, or the fact that some of the planes themselves were different.

My problem with the Great Tree was that it effectively eliminated the areas of the planes that weren't part of a deity's domain and therefore made "god-less races," like the slaad, live within one or more deity's domains.

I prefer to think of the Great Tree as a street map that showed how the houses in town were related. But it had nothing to do with the areas not on the street map, which were represented by the Great Wheel.

Way back in the heyday of the Planescape Mailing List, I remember several of us posting speculations of this kind. While some people really like unique, definite answers, a lot of us were happy to posit a multiverse in which there were many competing, mutually incompatible cosmologies, none of which could be definitively proved to be better or truer than the others. Some characters regard the Great Wheel as the 'true' cosmology, but others see Yggdrasil, or Mount Olympus, or waterways like Oceanus and Styx, or the Infinite Staircase as being the real structure of reality. The Great Tree and the 4e cosmology are just other views of the same ineffable conundrum.

nd

neutrondecay Posted - 10 Mar 2020 : 10:31:43
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

The problem with the Great Tree isn't the structure of the cosmology, it's the content -- with deities living in different places than described before, or the fact that some of the planes themselves were different.

My problem with the Great Tree was that it effectively eliminated the areas of the planes that weren't part of a deity's domain and therefore made "god-less races," like the slaad, live within one or more deity's domains.

I prefer to think of the Great Tree as a street map that showed how the houses in town were related. But it had nothing to do with the areas not on the street map, which were represented by the Great Wheel.

Way back in the heyday of the Planescape Mailing List, I remember several of us posting speculations of this kind. While some people really like unique, definite answers, a lot of us were happy to posit a multiverse in which there were many competing, mutually incompatible cosmologies, none of which could be definitively proved to be better or truer than the others. Some characters regard the Great Wheel as the 'true' cosmology, but others see Yggdrasil, or Mount Olympus, or waterways like Oceanus and Styx, or the Infinite Staircase as being the real structure of reality. The Great Tree and the 4e cosmology are just other views of the same ineffable conundrum.

nd
ericlboyd Posted - 10 Mar 2020 : 09:31:20
quote:

George Krashos Posted - 10 Mar 2020 : 09:13:10
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Krashos,

Dang it! haha

Well, it is awesome stuff though. As such, I am certain you won't mind me borrowing that then? ;)

Best regards,

Borrow away.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Mar 2020 : 23:41:47
Master Krashos,

Dang it! haha

Well, it is awesome stuff though. As such, I am certain you won't mind me borrowing that then? ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Master Krashos,

That is epic. Could I please get the tomes you have that from? I now want to read that stuff...a lot! :)

Best regards,

Sorry, made it up. I have a habit of doing that.

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 09 Mar 2020 : 01:05:01
quote:

Master Krashos,

That is epic. Could I please get the tomes you have that from? I now want to read that stuff...a lot! :)

Best regards,

Sorry, made it up. I have a habit of doing that.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 03:09:51
Tom,

Fair enough. Hell, I can't even argue with any of the system then, to be frank. I mean, as you said, it is all a matter of perception. I think for that matter, I am sticking with my own way of doing it. Why not?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Cpthero2, yes. I think mortals perceive what they can understand. In the real world, some describe Heaven and Hell, but most if pressed would likely admit they really don't know. It's what they were taught and its based on our limited understanding. Just because characters can travel to the outer planes doesn't make them all that more knowable. The Outer Planes are the planes of thought and spirit. That being the case, a god could easily be in one place existing next to another in one perception and someplace completely different in another. They are by definition ephemeral and perhaps unknowable. This is to a large extent distinct from the Inner Planes, which are the planes of body and matter.

sleyvas Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 02:13:09
While not a fan of the ruleset, I'll give 4e props for one idea regarding the planes. The idea that they were no longer limitless in size I think was a great change.
TomCosta Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 02:01:37
Cpthero2, yes. I think mortals perceive what they can understand. In the real world, some describe Heaven and Hell, but most if pressed would likely admit they really don't know. It's what they were taught and its based on our limited understanding. Just because characters can travel to the outer planes doesn't make them all that more knowable. The Outer Planes are the planes of thought and spirit. That being the case, a god could easily be in one place existing next to another in one perception and someplace completely different in another. They are by definition ephemeral and perhaps unknowable. This is to a large extent distinct from the Inner Planes, which are the planes of body and matter.
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 06:51:44
Master Rupert,

Yeah, this is a consistency issue. They just seem to bounce it around. Not being read up yet on 4e/5e, it just makes me wonder what the point of the exercise is to catch up on that, to know it sort of doesn't matter. Kind of an odd place to be in as I contemplate purchases and swapping out reading material for another.

Best regards,

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 04:08:52
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 01:37:31
Master Krashos,

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

I don't see the Great Wheel and World Tree as mutually exclusive. They are only how mortal perceive the outer planes and their connections. Sure, they can travel there and interact with the planes, but to the gods the planes are mutable and mortal perceptions are limited.

Yep, exactly. The sage Pharridus of Hlath propounds the "Cosmic Coil" to account for the make up of the planes, while Artrovan, Loremaster High of Darromar, asserts that the planes all exist in a "nothingness" and have no relative proximity, accessible only from the intermingled Clouds Astral and Ethereal. The scholar Tarlatha of Berdusk in her tome "The Far Journeys: a Sojourn to Places Perilous" states categorically that the planes are actually pieces on a metaphysical gameboard where the Overgod Ao contends with his counterparts in other universes.

Perception is all.

-- George Krashos

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 01:27:32
Tom,

So, are you basically saying that, because mortals can only perceive the three dimensions (ignoring time) physically, that those layouts are just the best way to interpret it?

Best regards,

quote:

I don't see the Great Wheel and World Tree as mutually exclusive. They are only how mortal perceive the outer planes and their connections. Sure, they can travel there and interact with the planes, but to the gods the planes are mutable and mortal perceptions are limited.

ericlboyd Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 00:51:00
quote:

quote:

Yep, exactly. The sage Pharridus of Hlath propounds the "Cosmic Coil" to account for the make up of the planes, while Artrovan, Loremaster High of Darromar, asserts that the planes all exist in a "nothingness" and have no relative proximity, accessible only from the intermingled Clouds Astral and Ethereal. The scholar Tarlatha of Berdusk in her tome "The Far Journeys: a Sojourn to Places Perilous" states categorically that the planes are actually pieces on a metaphysical gameboard where the Overgod Ao contends with his counterparts in other universes.

Perception is all.

-- George Krashos

Love this.

--Eric
George Krashos Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 00:22:09
quote:

Perception is all.

-- George Krashos
TomCosta Posted - 06 Mar 2020 : 22:58:04
cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 16:12:32
Master Rupert,

Yeah, I can see your point there. Though, I've never really enjoyed any of the three myself, TBH.

I've always seen other planes sort of ethereally overlapping with each other and with the Prime (just using ethereal as a loose analogy here). I've never bothered drawing anything up, but that is the idea I've had in my head. Though, one thing I do like about the World Tree approach is that it almost seems like the TV show Sliders or Quantum Leap in a way. You take these conduits or tunnels to get to that other place, is how I have envisioned it.

I would honestly prefer it if they came out with something entirely different. Of course, that would mean affecting things more in terms of lore. If I had to choose I would go for continuity (I mean, I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise).

I will say that something I do as well enjoy about the Wheel though is it has more of a spherical interpretation in my mind from a drawing I saw of it that makes it seem more cosmologically aligned with how the real universe is shaped insomuch as we can see it.

Best regards,

quote:

I can't speak for Brimstone, but I know that for me, the Great Wheel makes more sense, and it's what was the cosmology for the Realms for years. The Great Tree was a retcon that broke a lot of prior lore, and it didn't improve anything in the process.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 16:06:23
I can't speak for Brimstone, but I know that for me, the Great Wheel makes more sense, and it's what was the cosmology for the Realms for years. The Great Tree was a retcon that broke a lot of prior lore, and it didn't improve anything in the process.
cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 15:14:54
Good morning Great Reader Brimstone!

So, what do you prefer about the wheel as opposed to the other two?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I prefer the Wheel myself. It's what I know.

Brimstone Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 14:04:54
I prefer the Wheel myself. It's what I know.
cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 09:23:16
Seeker SABERinBLUE,

I'd check each one out. The World Tree was pretty popular too.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by SABERinBLUE

Okay I am sorry, I am sure this have been covered to death but I looked and I couldn't find anything conclusive. Is the Great Wheel canonically how the Realms cosmology works now? If so, where are the extra planes like Dweomerheart and the House of Knowledge? Outlands, or incorporated into the Outers?

Irennan Posted - 23 Jan 2017 : 23:47:47
Yes, the Great Wheel is back with some alterations borrowed from 4e (like the Feywild and the Shadowfell). The divine domains are now likely incorporated into the Outer planes. Dweomerheart/Mystra's realm used to be in Mechanus, IIRC. 5e doesn't say anything specific about the divine domains, so you might as well use the 2e info for them (their position in relation to the Outer planes is explained in "On Hallowed Ground").

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000