Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 'To Wake a God'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kryose Posted - 14 Jul 2016 : 17:58:03
'To Wake a God' is the name of my new campaign, well the name I have placed upon it. Allow me to use 1 line to inspire a thought of many thoughts; "A new church of Auppenser would have many obstacles to face - the most important being how to awaken their deity."
Now let me start, that this campaign is unlike any I have DM'd before for it is a Drow campaign, full-on evil with noble houses, slaves, matron mothers striving for ever more power; yes, everything a Middledark City may bring.
I started by picking a city strife with intrigue, power & religious faith so yes, I chose Eryndlyn. No maps were found & very little info is to be had here or many other sites, so I have had to build from the ground up. Now I wanted the PC's to be part of a low-noble Drow house but did allow the option of being a slave but one of the most important factor in most Drow campaigns has to be religion. So naturally Eryndlyn fit the bill with 3 faiths warring for supremacy, each on their individual plateaus, plying their trades to build wealth & undermining rival houses all the while trying to gain the upper hand of power to one day wipe out the other faiths. As fate would have it, the faith of Lolth, although the strongest of the 3, never had the power to wipe out the combined forces of Ghaunadaur & Vhaeraun & vice versa, until the 'Silence of Lolth'.
I seem to have gone off on a rant but oh well. I wanted a long campaign, much in the spirit of the AP's from Dragon/Paizo. So the idea is spawned from Lolth to awaken the god Auppenser. For it was the power of High Elven magic that destroyed a culture, much in the same way that the surface elves destroyed the dark elf society. Yes, this campaign is built on Araushnee's need for revenge. Does she think Auppenser will want revenge for the near extinction of his religion or will he consider that part of the balance? Perhaps, Lolth can wrest the power from Auppenser if he deems his people were at fault.
The way I see "my" Realms is this, religion plays a major role in everything we do, we are but pawns in a greater game. It takes a Gods idea, planted into a young noble Drow & grows into something more. Sometimes all you need is a seed & some water & time. The young drow noble will eventually grow into a matron mother but also harbor something else, a spark of latent psionic energy, something she has fought to hide & bury but has been cultivated by Lolth herself. Eventually she will realize her mission in life, to Awaken a sleeping god to wreak havoc upon the surface elves for their atrocities. All the while she is planting seeds in her children as well, the ones that are "touched" that is, the rest, killed. These children are what is going to help her achieve her goals, to reach her full potential & to be favored by Lolth.

Anyways, maybe a bit jumbled & such but thats the idea. I still need to figure out how to wake a god. Unlock hidden powers in others? Psychic surgery? Search for lost items of power? Where does he rest? What of Mystra, since she is the one who put him to sleep rather than die? Which surface elves will face the anger of the Gods? or will it turn into a Godwar against the Seldarine?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wrigley Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 01:09:35
It seems to me that Lloth did knew very well what will happen once she get silent but didn't care or was just amused by it. Her aim was to get her transition as fast as possible. Aupenser on the other hand get very fast into situation where he got almost no worshipers and decided to hold onto his remaining power and go to sleep.

My personal take on Aupenser is that he is another name of Oghma in that time and he just lost psionics from his portfolio after Jhaamdath fell. He was alread encroaching on others territory as psionics in my game is Batrachi in origin.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 25 Jul 2016 : 22:29:39
I know we have moved on from what it means for a deity to be "dead", but I found this interesting quote from Finder's Bane , in which the priestess of Bane Walinda is talking to priests of Finder at a time when Bane is supposedly dead.

" 'Gods are made of many elements. They have a physical body and a mind. Torm slew my lord Bane's body, but it still exists. It floats in the astral plane beside the bodies of other long-dead gods. Gods also possess an essence--a personality, a spirit that binds them to their followers. They also possess power-huge amounts of raw energy, beyond the ken of mortals. If a god is destroyed, his followers can perform a complicated ritual to bind together these elements-body, essence, and power--and resurrect the god. Some gods have the wisdomain to create a magical artifact that will make the ritual simpler and more efficient.'"" (Pg 144-5).

While the gods and elves are my favorite aspects of the Realms, I admittedly don't know much about Auppenser, so I can't really say much about his personal circumstance, but perhaps the quote above can be of aid. Or, Lolth herself could have prepped for something similar during her upcoming "Silence". Granted, most recent attempts at a power grab by Lolth have failed, but gods can prepare for contingencies.

Just food for thought. As I said, I am not too familiar with Auppenser. Maybe I will do some research.
Kryose Posted - 25 Jul 2016 : 02:32:04
[quote]I still need to figure out how to wake a god. Unlock hidden powers in others? Psychic surgery? Search for lost items of power? /quote]

Perhaps I am looking at this wrong. Rather than wake a god, why not access something of great power to aid in a psionic emergence, with a follower of Lolth at the forefront? What I'm speaking of is a Udoxias. Sure, why now? Why a matron? Why would Lolth be interested in this? Does a gardener expect all of his seeds, that were planted in the spring, to grow & germinate? Could Lolth have seen or perhaps expected the possibility of some of her conclaves to fall in her upcoming "Silence"? She is a god, it would be foolish of us to limit her intelligence to our lowly understanding.
eeorey Posted - 23 Jul 2016 : 23:25:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't even know how to respond to this anymore. You've said elves distrust psionics, but then you said they don't distrust them because they don't associate psionics with Jhaamdath...

Nothing in canon even suggests a distrust of Auppenser, and willingly and openly embracing his portfolio shows they don't associate him with Jhaamdath. If they're willing to strengthen him by using his tools in an elven stronghold, they don't distrust him.

As usual it looks a bit more complicated than that, the article on Kaliesh'erai states:

"Currently, the organization is experiencing a schism. Its older, more conservative members, led by the venerable Theldir Whitemoon, seek seclusion, desiring to distance themselves from the outside world, especially the non-elven world. The younger contingent, led by Dalthoeneir Delthoenoth, wishes to correspond with non-elf mind mages, possibly even admitting such individuals into their ranks."

I'm guessing the more conservative faction is pretty much considering itself to be doing things the right way, which would according to them be the elven way, and that this is how they have done things so far. They would probably consider their psionics a gift from their own gods rather than the result of mixed lineage or an accident of birth.
However the younger more open minded faction would likely be very interested in Auppenser, as it is they are from one out of a few organizations that are more or less completely inconsequential and downright pitiful when compared to what Jhaamdath had.
Whilst I do think that most elves would be quite weary of the deity of psionics, there would also be those that see him and the teachings of the fallen empire as THE way to learn about psionics. After all they built a nation that stood for over five millennia on psionics, it stands that they were damn good at it. Far better than the Kaliesh'erai that's for sure.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jul 2016 : 23:07:18
I don't even know how to respond to this anymore. You've said elves distrust psionics, but then you said they don't distrust them because they don't associate psionics with Jhaamdath...

Nothing in canon even suggests a distrust of Auppenser, and willingly and openly embracing his portfolio shows they don't associate him with Jhaamdath. If they're willing to strengthen him by using his tools in an elven stronghold, they don't distrust him.
TBeholder Posted - 23 Jul 2016 : 20:39:22
quote:

No, their issue was not with his religion -- their issue was with a nation that had been founded by members of his religion. Auppenser's religion was the most prominent one in Jhaamdath,

Not his religion, his portfolio and followers.
There was an easy-to-pinpoint reason why instead of drooling at Awesome Elven Magic and being easily slaughtered the Unwashed Human Beasts were capable of muscling their way up to the elves' doorsteps and then kicking the elves around even in their forest. Knowing the elves, and knowing their reaction, it's reasonable to assume they did resent anything and anyone that can be blamed for this.
quote:
but by the time of the Killing Wave, there was a distinct separation of church and state, and the actions of the Jhaamdathi leadership had nothing at all to do with Auppenser's worship.

Right, because surely the Elves of all creatures don't default to Kill All Humans when one drunk steps on an elf's foot and fails to apologize properly.
Oh, wait - they wiped out the whole place, rather than going specifically after the junta which a lot of locals didn't like any more than them, and/or trying to meddle in Jhaamdath's internal affairs.
quote:
By that argument, since the Jhaamdathi were human, elves should mistrust all of humanity, and all of humanity's deities, as well.
Of course. Jhaamdath, Netheril, Sembia, whatever.
Enough of the elves to see it at least as a trend do mistrust, and are hostile to, all humans, even if they can't begin to have a slightest idea of what this really means in the scope of their world alone. Eldreth Veluuthra would be a joke if it didn't have lots of sympathizers - but one of the strong sides of this small secret society is support of many, many elves who themselves pretend to be above it or simply cannot be arsed.
Enough of the elves to see it at least as a trend do mistrust, and are hostile to, "human" deities, too. Elminster in Myth Drannor and related references make it quite clear.
quote:
The analogy is not weak -- the Jhaamdathi who pissed off the elves were just as faithful to Auppenser as the Netherese arcanists were to Mystryl.
Sure, but Netherese arcanists being godless arrogant bastards is "everyone knows" sort of thing - it's hard to miss. They didn't have any deities prominent at all, including Mystril, other than in that one enclave. Mystril wasn't known as their official or semi-official patron deity at any point.
And, again, ultimately Mystril herself died, Mystra I and II are the successors trying to sort out some of the mess she failed to contain.
The elves still worked with the Netherese they didn't deem hopeless and after the fall helped out the refugees, if on some conditions.
So the Netherese were still treated as "misguided".
Auppenser was the known patron of the very foundation on which Jhaamdath was built. And how it ended between elves and Jhaamdath is the exact opposite.
quote:
The elves had no issues with the Jhaamdathi until the Jhaamdathi began attacking elven lands. And those were people armed with swords and axes.

Sure. At which point they asked "he, what that Jhaamdath thing is?.." And it's reasonable to assume that the "loyal" Jhaamdathi weren't suddenly deprived of all and any powers.
quote:
We have canon psionic organizations in the Realms, including an elven one based in Evereska. I think it's pretty safe to say that elves are fine with psionics if they openly practice them, themselves.

Which mostly fall under "inconsequential", either way. None of them was openly connected to Jhaamdath, which is likely to be the line between "safeguard from mindflayers just in case" and "threat".
quote:
So again, I see no reason that elves would have an issue with Auppenser. They already employ the abilities he covers,

The same could be said about Mystra - and wasn't enough to give them amount of confidence necessary to avoid panicked murderous clowning that time...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jul 2016 : 16:28:29
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I really don't see a reason for Tyr or elves to mistrust Auppenser.

Their less than happy history with his followers?

No, their issue was not with his religion -- their issue was with a nation that had been founded by members of his religion. Auppenser's religion was the most prominent one in Jhaamdath, but by the time of the Killing Wave, there was a distinct separation of church and state, and the actions of the Jhaamdathi leadership had nothing at all to do with Auppenser's worship.

quote:

quote:
And most elves wouldn't have even heard of Auppenser. If they have, they wouldn't necessary equate him with the actions of a specific nation --

True enough. But, as wise Nasruddin said, let those who don't know ask those who know.
Anyway, the elves often view this way the ''whole species'', why not more closely related subjects?

By that argument, since the Jhaamdathi were human, elves should mistrust all of humanity, and all of humanity's deities, as well.

quote:

quote:
that's like saying elves would distrust Mystra because of Netheril.

Heh, some of them kind of did (cough, Elminster's headaches in Cormanthyr, cough), just not because of Netheril.
The analogy is weak, since Mystra I appeared only after the fall of Netheril, and the Netherese archwizards weren't exactly faithful followers of Mystril (or anyone else) - which was more "widely known annoying trait" than "obscure fact".

The analogy is not weak -- the Jhaamdathi who pissed off the elves were just as faithful to Auppenser as the Netherese arcanists were to Mystryl.

quote:

And even if she was, that still would be very far from being strongly associated with a hated enemy of the elves above all other entities. A half-assed Crown Against Scepter war at the end is one thing, cheesing the elves enough for mass-destruction (which they will feel obligated to support, judging by the other cases) is another.
Also, the Netherese still were "once apprentices of the Eaerlanni, who regrettably ran away from the good Elven path", while Jhaamdath used the powers Elves generally consider alien (and therefore more likely to decry as inferior and/or evil).

The elves had no issues with the Jhaamdathi until the Jhaamdathi began attacking elven lands. And those were people armed with swords and axes.

We have canon psionic organizations in the Realms, including an elven one based in Evereska. I think it's pretty safe to say that elves are fine with psionics if they openly practice them, themselves.

So again, I see no reason that elves would have an issue with Auppenser. They already employ the abilities he covers, and nothing about his worship is anti-elven.

sleyvas Posted - 23 Jul 2016 : 06:43:56
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

There was some talk in page one about Auppenser being a dragon deity of the gem dragons, I'd just like to mention there already is one. Sardior (I think that's the name) a ruby dragon who is the patron of psionics in the dragon pantheon. The info on him was in the wizards archive under the "mind's eye" section, though it didn't mention any relation between him and Auppenser.

Hmmm, so there is... and he's fond of psychic warriors, which fits the bladelords of Jhaamdath

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030124a

As much as I hate the idea of saying "this deity is the same as X deity"... this could play into things here. Or, as another option, we see from the above article that Sardior has somehow split himself into aspects of himself by creating "Thanes". We even have documented that there is an aspect of himself that has been split off and supposedly killed in the Thane of the obsidian dragons. I could easily see Auppenser as being a "Thane" for a breed of gem dragons that were localized to the area around Jhaamdath and possibly were mostly wiped out in the tidal wave (except for maybe a small clutch of hatchlings).

Actually, this could very well fit with the story of Mystra putting Auppenser to sleep, in that she may have hidden them away so that they could grow.

This actually could play into an interesting idea. What if there were a breed of gem dragons that start out really tiny (like pseudodragon size) and at ancient age are say size large (adults being medium)? Maybe they were known for serving psions kind of like their crystal familiars, but as a type of upgrade.

To add further to this idea, in the Grand History of the Realms, there is mention of Kisonraathiisar, a topaz dragon who founded Westgate and died in -349 to the Netherese wizard Saldrinar of the Seven Spells (who was putting Kisonraathiisar into a timeless sleep with brief moments of lucidity). Apparently Westgate was a kingdom that contained dragonkin at this time, which would mean that there was a kingdom of dragonkin on the border if not allied with Jhaamdath. Apparently Kisonraathiisar was trying to make a new breed of Dragonkin which could be immune to the dragon rage caused by the king killer star. Also, the Hill of the Seven Lost gods is in this area, which apparently was also some concentration of ancient draconic power (in addition to having some kind of ties to Moander, Garagos, Ghaunadaur, Jergal, Savras, Silvanus, and one whose name was lost.... probably Auppenser?).
eeorey Posted - 22 Jul 2016 : 23:49:45
There was some talk in page one about Auppenser being a dragon deity of the gem dragons, I'd just like to mention there already is one. Sardior (I think that's the name) a ruby dragon who is the patron of psionics in the dragon pantheon. The info on him was in the wizards archive under the "mind's eye" section, though it didn't mention any relation between him and Auppenser.
TBeholder Posted - 22 Jul 2016 : 23:16:22
quote:

I really don't see a reason for Tyr or elves to mistrust Auppenser.

Their less than happy history with his followers?
quote:
And most elves wouldn't have even heard of Auppenser. If they have, they wouldn't necessary equate him with the actions of a specific nation --

True enough. But, as wise Nasruddin said, let those who don't know ask those who know.
Anyway, the elves often view this way the ''whole species'', why not more closely related subjects?
quote:
that's like saying elves would distrust Mystra because of Netheril.

Heh, some of them kind of did (cough, Elminster's headaches in Cormanthyr, cough), just not because of Netheril.
The analogy is weak, since Mystra I appeared only after the fall of Netheril, and the Netherese archwizards weren't exactly faithful followers of Mystril (or anyone else) - which was more "widely known annoying trait" than "obscure fact".
And even if she was, that still would be very far from being strongly associated with a hated enemy of the elves above all other entities. A half-assed Crown Against Scepter war at the end is one thing, cheesing the elves enough for mass-destruction (which they will feel obligated to support, judging by the other cases) is another.
Also, the Netherese still were "once apprentices of the Eaerlanni, who regrettably ran away from the good Elven path", while Jhaamdath used the powers Elves generally consider alien (and therefore more likely to decry as inferior and/or evil).

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

That's how Kiaransalee was killed by Q'arlynd, and with her return people rembered her, and called her name (in the Reaver, for example).

...in LP, the series not consistent with pre-existing lore, nor making much sense within their own plot?
This argument struggles to support its own weight, let alone any extra.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 22:45:24
Right, it is exceedingly difficult to do, as you would have to trap them in their home plane and cut off their followers. Most of the "dead" deities were floating in the Astral sea, which means they have a chance to regain followers/be resurrected/awakened, etc.
Wrigley Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 22:16:10
With exception of Kieranselee there is no example of diety that died of neglect after ToT. Even this event is quite special. So we have no knowledge how this actualy work and all other gods died/fell asleep before this change. It seem that all of those are drifting in astral sea (they still exist) compared to Myrkul, Bhaal and other killed gods that are not to be find there.
For me it sounds like they are not actualy dead but only sleeping. As old gods live in different time frame this might be just a moment for them before they rise again due to some forseen event in future. They might also just resigned on their duties and take a nap (this might actualy be what were ToT all about).
Ayrik Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 18:36:08
There are non-D&D examples of sleeping dragon gods, gods one does not dare awaken because they have a tendency to consume/hoard the world or fly off on city-wrecking rampages and stuff, lol.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 15:05:47
You know, I proposed above that maybe Auppenser was a dragon deity for gem dragons which are notedly psionic... I also noted that dragons are noted for going to sleep for long periods..... from what it appears in the stories we've seen for the loss of the sun long ago and the splitting of the worlds, it appears that many draconic powers went over to Abeir (along with the "Primordials" which begs the question whether some of these draconic powers were primordials). We know that a primordial can become a god, for what is Ubtao and the elemental gods (and possibly Annam) if not a primordial with a god template. Finally, I put forth that on Abeir the primordials "retreated into the very stones of the mountains and fell silent." I wonder if Auppenser isn't some kind of draconic/primordial/deity, and at times he retreats to sleep to conserve, meditate, and/or renew his power.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 01:55:57
I think deities can still be created without followers, since they aren't necessarily created by mortals, but they are more dependant on worship now. IFRC, Finder ascended at or near the end of ToT, so the new "rules" were likely already in place. Since Faerun is polytheistic, I think that even a prayer to Tymora for good luck applies, even if that person praying isn't a devout follower of Tymora.

I am blanking on the details of K, but yeah she was "forgotten", and her name erased from the Tablets. Yet, now she's back, thanks to Ao, so even if a deity is forgotten by mortals, Ao can still rez them.
Irennan Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 01:41:40
Yeah, deities didn't need followers before the ToT, so they were born unrelatedly to them. I guess K was killed like that, because apparently she forgot about her own existence (as little sense as it makes).
CorellonsDevout Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 01:07:54
I pulled out "Faiths and Avatars" to see what I could find about deities' existence. A deity can come into an existence in a number of ways, and prior to the ToT, Ao let the powers change and evolve unchecked. After the chaos of ToT, Ao now takes a more active role in the creation of powers, deity resurrection, mortal ascending to godhood, "immigrating" deities, etc.

It does go on to say that a deity does need followers to exist, and one way to kill a deity is to make it have no followers. But to cause a deity's death in this manner is difficult. All the worhipers would have to die, or the deity would have to log followers so slowly it doesn't realize it until it is too late. Deities can hold on as long as they have at least -one- follower. If they lose this one worshiper, it still takes time to wither, for they are sustained by their portfolio, and even the memory of their name in myths and legends. During this period, they would make every effort to regain followers.

What I take from this is that a deity doesn't need followers to exist initially, as they can be created without mortal influence, and then go on to create a race, but yes, it needs followers in order to continue to survive. Ao can also resurrect dead deities, and, it seems, even forgotten ones. The true death of a "neglected" deity would likely take centuries, giving the deity time to regain followers. To kill a deity in this manner, the deity would have to be confined to their home plane and be unable to communicate with any mortal (and I would think the souls of the dead followers would sustain the deity for a time, as they still venerate them, but eventually the deity would lose the ablity to maintain its realm, unless aided by another deity).
Irennan Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 00:29:43
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

After the ToT, a deity's power was influenced by the amount of followers, at least in part (as there are other ways), but not necessarily their existence.

I thought that Ao had established that they needed worshipers to survive. That's how Kiaransalee was killed by Q'arlynd, and with her return people rembered her, and called her name (in the Reaver, for example).
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 22:39:51
After the ToT, a deity's power was influenced by the amount of followers, at least in part (as there are other ways), but not necessarily their existence.
Irennan Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 22:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

True. My main point was that a deity doesn't need followers to exist, as they would have to exist before gaining followers, in order to have said followers, whether they create them, like some of the racial deities, or gain them via other means.

A deity's power can be influence by the number of followers, but no, it is not their only source of power, and they don't need it to exist.

They didn't before the ToT, but they apparently do now. We don't know if it was changed by the Sundering, tho.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 22:25:33
True. My main point was that a deity doesn't need followers to exist, as they would have to exist before gaining followers, in order to have said followers, whether they create them, like some of the racial deities, or gain them via other means.

A deity's power can be influence by the number of followers, but no, it is not their only source of power, and they don't need it to exist.
Irennan Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 22:17:14
The number of worshipers isn't necessarily the *only* "logical" source of power for a deity. Ideas and concepts alone could be another option to fuel the existence of demons, celestial, deities, and so on.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 21:52:33
To add to that, there have been cases of mortals ascending to godhood (Finder, Cyric, Shevarash), and they too would need to gain followers.
Wrigley Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 21:36:19
quote:
Originally posted by Kryose

Now we have to remember that this is pre-sundering, so there is no going away & coming back per the newer editions.

Depends on what is "going away". There are some gods that dwindled of neglect and some killed by other dieties. Former is only sleeping god in my book later being the true going away. Aupenser should be in this first group so he could wake up if there is sufficient stirring either by other gods who could give him some of their power (not Lloth mind you) or from his followers or by usage of his portfolio which strangely haven't been claimed by other gods.

Dazz: there are a lot of racial dieties who supposedly created those races so regarding canon this is solution of hen or egg question.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 20:52:07
A god has to gain followers first, though, so they can exist with or without worshipers. That said, the amount of followers a deity has may have influence on their power. The more worshipers, the more powerful the deity will be.
Gary Dallison Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 20:39:05
Thats what i like to hear (unless its post spell plague but pre sundering).

I personally take the portfolio stuff from 2e and 3e god books with a pinch of salt because if a god does not derive power directly from worship then you end up with situations like a god that exists even though no one worships it. In which case that god will still be around long after the end of the world all by himself.

Ignore the meta story of the ToT and just have gods always derive power directly from number of worshippers. Nothing else makes sense.

Kryose Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 19:56:49
Now we have to remember that this is pre-sundering, so there is no going away & coming back per the newer editions.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 19:23:53
Never strike a deal with Lolth. It always ends badly.

Since the 2nd Sundering, all the gods have returned, so it's plausible this would include Auppenser as well, though the details of how they returned are vague. It's mostly just "Ao did it", so there is a lot of wiggle room for you to make up your own reasons as to why/how he was awakened.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 21:37:34
Oh, and on the above, its noted in the 2nd edition "Cult of the Dragon" that the dragon deity Kalzareinad died during the Time of Troubles and his worship was subsumed by the dragon deity Kereska, a dragon goddess of magic as well. Whether this means Maldraedior is dead, or that he maybe quit worshipping Kalzareinad, or that the rules of a single dragon's worship can keep a deity alive changed after the ToT comes into question.

Hmmm, I got thoroughly sidetracked. 3.5 dragons of faerun states that Maldraedior still lives. Until you get to the part where this dragon is evil and worships a dragon god of evil magic, man this guy would have made a perfect follower of Auppenser. He is blue, so he could be a sapphire dragon that people are confused over (especially since he lives underground). He basically psychically projects himself. His whole purpose in continuing to live is gathering information.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 20:13:37
I really don't see a reason for Tyr or elves to mistrust Auppenser. Just because someone may or may not want revenge isn't reason for Tyr to mistrust someone. And most elves wouldn't have even heard of Auppenser. If they have, they wouldn't necessary equate him with the actions of a specific nation -- that's like saying elves would distrust Mystra because of Netheril.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000