Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 When was Baldur's Gate founded?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pukunui Posted - 10 Oct 2015 : 04:18:29
Does anyone know when Baldur's Gate first came to be known as Baldur's Gate? The MiBG campaign guide talks about how it used to be a pirate haven known as Gray Harbor, but that it came to be known as Baldur's Gate after Balduran ordered walls be built around the original city and the main gate (which is now in the middle of the city) came to be known as "Baldur's Gate".

But the campaign guide doesn't have any dates in it. How long ago did Balduran live? I ask because one of the PCs in my 5e campaign is a member of a patriar family, and I'm trying to figure out just how old the family is, as the PC is going to have a run-in with her family's first ancestor. It would be nice to have a good idea of how many centuries back she lived.

Anyone got anything definitive? Has Ed said anything about it?

Thanks in advance!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pukunui Posted - 10 Oct 2015 : 07:40:14
Shucks. OK. I'll just keep it vague and say the ancestor lived "many generations ago" or something. Thanks anyway!
Gary Dallison Posted - 10 Oct 2015 : 07:38:26
The answer is that we just don't know.
The western heartlands is an area that has received little historical detail.
The area was part of a great elven forest, I think called shantel othreier, which was consumed by dragon fire and the crown wars.
The plains were then claimed by the giants who reformed one of the kingdoms of ostoria.
The giants held those plains right up until the fall of netheril, even though the kingdom broke apart after a war with shanatar.
I think the humans fleeing netheril must have forced the giants out and it is around 0 dr that grey harbour was founded.
I made up a date for baldurs gates founding but can't remember when exactly, I think it's around 300 dr but I'll look it up for you tonight
George Krashos Posted - 10 Oct 2015 : 07:35:07
I don't think anything has ever been confirmed re a founding date for Baldur's Gate. Given the history of Shavinar at the same location provided by Ed, it would have had to have been after 277 DR.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000