Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Who is using PCGen?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Murmur Maelstrom Posted - 23 Jul 2015 : 02:06:46
This is a poll asking how many of you are using PCGen as a computer aid for your Forgotten Realms campaigns>
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gelcur Posted - 28 Sep 2017 : 02:41:29
I had used PCGen a long while back I think it used to have an export to OpenRPG option which I liked. In the end I switched over to using an Excel sheet called HeroForge. It has to be the best 3.5 character stat sheet around, it has its problems and is missing a couple of books. But overall it is very complete, does 98% of calculations for you and best of all it is Excel you can customize it. I don't see the original sheet online anymore but I see HeroForge Anew which was a branch of it.

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We do have that NPC thread that could be utilized for sharing this particular NPC...

Also Wooly is this thread for any builds or is it for known/named realms figures?
killerasus Posted - 11 May 2017 : 06:14:57
I thought of using it for my 5th edition campaign, but I'm pretty satisfied with MPMB's automated character sheet from DM's Guild.
Diffan Posted - 05 May 2017 : 01:37:18
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We do have that NPC thread that could be utilized for sharing this particular NPC...

Thats where I posted her stats. Her backstory is better detailed in the Unapproachable East supplement. I just provided stats for her.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 04 May 2017 : 18:53:10
Yes when i need it
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 May 2017 : 15:30:59
sleyvas Posted - 04 May 2017 : 15:12:18
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I use Notebook....

Literally its a notebook and a pencil for my 3.5, 4e, and 5e characters :-)

God help me, during 3.5.... no way in hell would I have wanted to do that given the builds I used to do..... 5e sure. But with a bunch of different bonus types, synergies, prestige classes and feat prerequisites, etc.... OMG I would have gone nuts. I'll give 3.5 one thing, it was thorough, and well thought through, BUT it did have too broad of a spectrum with its numbers such that the difference between a low level and a high level character became mathematically impossible AND it was so cumbersome that it became something that to me required a program to track all the requirements.

Eh, it's not too bad. I just statted up an NPC from Unapproachable East with a CR 21. Its an Annis hag Sorcerer/Durthan. Hardest part is the skill ranks and figuring out feat placement based on BAB and prerequisites.

Ok, NO FAIR, you spoke the magic words...Hag and Durthan... you are now required to post her history and story so that I can see what you're doing with her. I think its a bylaw around here.... yeah... I think Wooly will back me up on that (pssstttt, Wooly, just say yeah).
Diffan Posted - 03 May 2017 : 23:38:40
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I use Notebook....

God help me, during 3.5.... no way in hell would I have wanted to do that given the builds I used to do..... 5e sure. But with a bunch of different bonus types, synergies, prestige classes and feat prerequisites, etc.... OMG I would have gone nuts. I'll give 3.5 one thing, it was thorough, and well thought through, BUT it did have too broad of a spectrum with its numbers such that the difference between a low level and a high level character became mathematically impossible AND it was so cumbersome that it became something that to me required a program to track all the requirements.

Eh, it's not too bad. I just statted up an NPC from Unapproachable East with a CR 21. Its an Annis hag Sorcerer/Durthan. Hardest part is the skill ranks and figuring out feat placement based on BAB and prerequisites.
RDS Posted - 03 May 2017 : 19:18:56
I was like Diffan. I use paper most of the time when I'm GMing. I'm tracking stuff with Excel but not doing a very good job of it really. But for the few times I wasn't GMing if I'm not using paper my buddy gave me his extra licence to Herolab when we were playing 3.5. I still prefer paper.
sleyvas Posted - 03 May 2017 : 18:33:35
quote:

I use Notebook....

Diffan Posted - 03 May 2017 : 05:18:56
I use Notebook....

sleyvas Posted - 02 May 2017 : 14:20:46
when I ran my 3.5 game, I used etools, paying for all the add-ons from codemonkey, and I was very glad of it. I know they eventually took on pcgen, but by that time, I was hooked on etools (and personally, I found their interface better anyway).

However, everybody that I know of has either switched to pathfinder or 5e. I have used herolab for pathfinder, but I will say I'm not happy with it.... I've seen some very basic screw-ups with AC calculations and such where they didn't take into account max dex and such. I've only been playing 5e the past 2 years.
LordXenophon Posted - 02 May 2017 : 14:05:58
I gave it a try, but having to scroll through all the books and reload them was too much of a pain.
GRYPHON Posted - 31 Jul 2015 : 18:43:56
No...
Kentinal Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 23:11:15
I did use in in the past to see what it could do, however as already noted by another the processor demand was high.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 22:56:01
I've never used it...I use Redblade 3.5e for my 3.5 characters, for all editions (which I include Pathfinder RPG) I use either spreadsheets or a auto-fill .pdf that do the calculations for me (as my math sucks most days and I can't even figure out all the numbers for bonuses and the like.)
Delwa Posted - 23 Jul 2015 : 02:26:19
I voted no. I used to use it, but I quit for multiple reasons. It's not a bad program, but at the time I was using it, (version 3.something) it had many glitches. Skills wouldn't always calculate correctly, attack bonuses would be messed up, etc.
It also took up a ton of memory and slowed down my computer.
It was just easier for me to use other methods.
Now, I'm running 5e, and I really don't need a computer to keep up with everything.
All that said, my father in law uses the latest version for his pathfinder game. He says most of the glitches have been ironed out, but that it still hogs your CPU or memory.
I still just prefer pencil & paper. Technology hates me, so I'd rather just stay in the stone age.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000