Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is a logical reason for low magic realms now?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwolfer Posted - 01 Oct 2014 : 05:33:03
Okay, so 5e has the magic level tonned down even more, if we were looking for a reason for this to happen within the forgotten realms. What theories could you come up with, to match this new fate of magic?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aldrick Posted - 02 Oct 2014 : 04:35:22
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

It's so nice now to have every item you find actually be treasured now. I hated when my players got to the point where they found "just another +3 sword" in previous editions.

This a thousand times over. Third edition just got crazy with its magic item bloat.
Seethyr Posted - 02 Oct 2014 : 04:14:16
I have always run a low magic (item that is) campaign. I think it's almost believable to say "it's always been that way." Everything that has occurred in the past, the stories, the adventures...all the magic that was just lying around really wasn't as much as it was "rumored" to be.

It's so nice now to have every item you find actually be treasured now. I hated when my players got to the point where they found "just another +3 sword" in previous editions.
BenN Posted - 02 Oct 2014 : 03:19:53
Perhaps there aren't so many magic items left in the Realms because Elminster fed most of them to the Simbul.......
George Krashos Posted - 02 Oct 2014 : 01:56:08
In terms of magic items, Ed's Realms was always "low magic". His PC groups never had any uber items.

TSR/WotC made the Realms a high magic setting in terms of items. Given the Spellplague and the ravaging of the Weave, I think that there are many explanations that could be given for a reduction in the number of functioning magic items. It was one of my pet peeves regarding the Spellplague and the 4E Realms that there was no coherent explanation as to how magic items, hanging spells, portals, mythals etc survived that cataclysmic event. But I digress ...

-- George Krashos
sleyvas Posted - 02 Oct 2014 : 00:33:30
I'd go with Mystra is reforming the weave, she is weakened by returning from the dead, having barely reassembled herself from when she was destroyed by Helm (yeah, see that.... I said destroyed by Helm.... this may not be Midnight). Thus things that mages would have previously been able to more capably manage (such as spells that they could cast and let the weave maintain) now require the mage to maintain concentration. It won't be until new "metamagic constructs" within this "operating system" can be created by enterprising wizards before they learn to do things like having spells that can be cast without concentration maintenance, or casting spells that can be hung awaiting triggering, etc.... Similar things can be said for other types of casting (i.e. mages must learn how to maintain a "flow" of energy to get better evocations, etc....).
Eilserus Posted - 01 Oct 2014 : 13:25:56
If I wanted low magic level, I'd just say the Spellplague exploded or melted enough magic that it's semi rare now.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000