Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Possible post-Sundering Heresies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 15:19:02
I just thought it might be fun to ponder some "post" sundering heresies that might creep up based upon what we currently think is going to happen (note, one of the main things that I think is going to happen is the Mulhorandi returning with their own pantheon). Anyway, more to throw ideas against the wall than anything.

Heresies below:

1st: Amaunator was actually Horus-Re, and he deposed Lathander in an attempt to invade the Faerunian pantheon. As a result, the gods of the Faerunian pantheon banished the people of Mulhorand to Abeir.

2nd: Amaunator has been slain by Horus-Re during the Sundering. Lathander was called back to Toril by the other Faerunian gods to stop this invasion by a returning and rejuvenated Mulan pantheon.

3rd: Leira is returned. She had taken on a mortal existence for the last millennia after using her magic as goddess of lies to trick Cyric into believing she had died (and since he wasn't lord of lies yet, he was deceived). She had been made aware of the attempt on her life by Savras, who had also foreseen his own possible death in the near future, and who had foreseen that only Leira could help him forestall it. During the Spellplague, she had rescued Savras by leading him to a portal which she herself had created into Mystra's domain and hidden while goddess of Illusions. This portal specifically prevented deific passage (similar to the godswall), and thus Savras had had to give up his divinity to escape. The two had been able to wrest several magical artifacts related to Mystra (whether Midnight or Mystra, is unknown) out of her domain as well. Following the spellplague, the two had watched Velsharoon to see where his leanings lay. Ultimately, they determined that he was not an ally of Shar's, but that he would soon be a victim of her. As a result, they decided to aid him in faking his own death as well, so that they could begin the covert building back up of energies that would aid in the return of Mystra. One such piece was that Velsharoon understood the rituals used along with godly artifacts in order to created a divine vessel (using his own divinity to help "kick off" the ritual similar to how Talos had worked with him). As a result, these three began a covert gathering of artifacts related to dead divinities that might serve as useful allies against Shar and Asmodeus, thus resulting in the return of many of the deities following the Sundering.

4th: The returned deity Helm is actually an interloper deity who came to research the death of Tyr. His name is Heimdall and he seeks to raise Tyr from the dead.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dark Wizard Posted - 28 Jul 2014 : 02:52:18
Talos still Gruumsh.
- A. N. Orc

Azuth was always Asmodeus. Always.
But for convenience, he will wear the human skin-suit once again.
Eltheron Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 18:07:20
Cyric is merely an avatar of Tharizdun, who in turn is an avatar of Shar. It's such a huge drag when Obyrith corrupt your avatars into madness and they start thinking of themselves as separate entities.

see Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 17:58:09
Cyric is actually the all-powerful being the Cyrinishad says he is. He overthrew Ao just before the Time of Troubles, and all the godswars and spellplagues and such have all been Cyric playing with his usurped toy. It currently amuses him to give people all their gods back and such, but soon enough he'll do it all again, when it's time for Sixth Edition he gets bored.
mhamza Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 17:03:39
There's this idea I heard from Wooly Rupert in an earlier thread that Bane was never resurrected and that it was in fact Iyachtu Xvim in disguise. Some ideas of my own include Eilistraee and Selvetarm not being really dead, and have part of their essence in the Crescent Blade. Likewise for Laduguer, who as a deity of magical weapon creation stored his divine essence in one as a backup plan in case Moradin finally decided to come for him.
Eltheron Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 16:40:30
Those are interesting, particularly the third which offers a unique way to bring back Leira and Savras.

Personally though, I've never much cared for the concept of heresy in the Realms. In a polytheistic society, heresy tends to create splits in communities where none are really needed - by this, I mean: if you're personally unhappy with the tenets of a particular faith, which presumably have been related by the god(s) themselves, then why not simply favor another deity and their tenets?

In a monotheistic society with a deity that doesn't provide direct answers to the faithful, heresy makes a certain kind of logical-adaptive sense. Rigidity of specific dogmas and practices don't always appeal in the same way to everyone. But in a polytheistic society, gods run the entire spectrum of belief and practice. And if you're not happy with any of the gods, you can even turn to demons, devils, or other outsiders.

In the Realms, with the heresies that were created for Lathander, they created schisms within the faith that puzzlingly were not answered by the deity himself. Yet when you have deities that show up for lunch to chit-chat, or hang out as barmaid wenches in big city taverns, what's the point of a deity not answering simple questions that your high priests ask? In Lathander's case, the developers chose to make all the heresies true. Yet if that was the case, why exactly would Lathander (a good deity) cause hateful and divisive schisms within his own church for decades? It just all made no sense, IMO.

Delwa Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 16:25:33
I've been running with the (heretical) idea that Mystra's Return is a hoax. That there is no goddess of Magic anymore, and that Ao simply stabilized the Weave for the benefit of Toril. It's more a cult than a heresy, but eh.
The more and more gods that are "back" that conflict with gods that have been existing for awhile, the more possibilities turn up.
For example, Tyche, Tymora, and Beshaba. If the gods are going back into the background, and getting a direct word from them is difficult, then all three churches would possibly be constantly arguing over each other's existence. The Church of Tyche will look at Tymora and Beshaba as disobedient heretics who indirectly worship Tyche. The Churches of Tymora and Beshaba will view Tyche as a bunch of crazy old nuts that can't let go of the past and move on. Tyche is no more, and no amount of Sundering/Divine intervention will set things to the old ways.
I think of it kind of like the Protestant/Catholic split, only less vehement and antagonistic. A worshipper of Tyche, Tymora, and possibly Beshaba can be civil to one another, but each thinks the other is a little off their nut.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000