Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 arakhor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Masked Mage Posted - 09 Feb 2013 : 21:54:25
Is there any information about arakhor other than what was win Mintiper's Chapbook?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 20:04:37
Eric,

Oh yeah, I get that. I've written several comments on the Emerald Enclave. They just seem activist enough in their "zeal" to do a good cleaning up (if you know what I mean) of a problem to take a trip over to get a little community organizing going on. ;)

I would imagine you could actually see a pretty good combination of cooperation between the Emerald Enclave, Faldorn, and Uthgang Jyaul. I mean, Faldorn is really against co-existence between humans and nature. Uthgang seems to be a lot more temperate than the other two, but an opportunity to consider such a sacred site (assuming it was an arakhor) might be worth it for them. Going to check that out would take some serious firepower too, hence the idea of bringing the Enclave, and a couple of powerful druids like Faldorn and Uthgang.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The Emerald Enclave belongs in the Vilhon Reach, not the North.

The most powerful druid of the North is (probably) located in Tall Trees.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

hahaha....I do agree with you there about the Arcane Brotherhood. Honestly, this seems like a perfect opportunity for the Emerald Enclave to do a little digging around and check things out. They've got enough power to probably at least do a little research. I mean, it's not like the Arcane Brotherhood is working to help or at least be neutral to the goals of the Emerald Enclave.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I do have another question about the Host Tower in this case though. To sort of settle the argument about its origins, wouldn't there be some sort of way to evaluate with nature's magic whether or not it was really once a large tree like that? It appears to have been drawn up to look like a tree. Perhaps something along the lines of "Awaken" would work to check it, or see if certain fey creatures shun it?

I should think the Arcane Brotherhood isn't going to take too kindly to people wandering up and trying to cast spells on their tower.

And given the nature of that group, fey have other reasons for avoiding the Hosttower.

ericlboyd Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 19:39:04
The Emerald Enclave belongs in the Vilhon Reach, not the North.

The most powerful druid of the North is (probably) located in Tall Trees.

--Eric

quote:

Master Rupert,

hahaha....I do agree with you there about the Arcane Brotherhood. Honestly, this seems like a perfect opportunity for the Emerald Enclave to do a little digging around and check things out. They've got enough power to probably at least do a little research. I mean, it's not like the Arcane Brotherhood is working to help or at least be neutral to the goals of the Emerald Enclave.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

I do have another question about the Host Tower in this case though. To sort of settle the argument about its origins, wouldn't there be some sort of way to evaluate with nature's magic whether or not it was really once a large tree like that? It appears to have been drawn up to look like a tree. Perhaps something along the lines of "Awaken" would work to check it, or see if certain fey creatures shun it?

I should think the Arcane Brotherhood isn't going to take too kindly to people wandering up and trying to cast spells on their tower.

And given the nature of that group, fey have other reasons for avoiding the Hosttower.

cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 18:37:44
Master Rupert,

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 18:14:41
quote:

cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 16:36:23
Eric,

Perfect. Thank you for explaining that out! I very much like your perspective by the way on the giant issue. I can see why you argue for that outlook: the appearance on page 121 of Volo's Guide to the North is as about as convincing as can be. Someone could certainly argue "magic", but it sounds better with your approach.

Best regards,

quote:

Salvatore has a definite perspective in his books.

The other perspective is based on FR5, Volo's Guide to the North, and The North.

This is just my personal take.

--Eric

quote:

Eric,

That is amazing regarding the Hosttower in Luskan. Where would I go to find the writings on that? That is amazing!

Best regards,

quote:

Arakhora
“Arakhor” is an Elven term that translates loosely as "one who protects the forest," or "tree warden." Akin in some respects to nature elementals, the arakhora drew life, energy, and intelligence from the forest in which they dwelt and gave back a forest's energy by serving as a caretaker and guardian. Writings preserved from the height of Aryvandaar by the church of Labelas Enoreth suggest that the arakhora were a form of elder treant, perhaps the progenitors of the treant race in its modern form. The last known living arakhor is the Grandfather Tree, located in the northwestern reaches of the High Forest. Aside from the arakhor stump on the western bank of the Unicorn Run, the only other known arakhor, living or dead, is the petrified arakhor that has been transformed into the Hostower of the Arcane in Luskan. (Other sources indicate that it is nothing of the sort, but is a dwarf-built edifice.) The legendary giant king, Tark of Thundercloud Keep, is said to have felled the arakhor by the Unicorn Run after his cloud castle got tangled in the arakhor’s upper branches.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 16:31:36
I favor the idea that an Arakhor is a kind of advanced treant -- something like a Chosen. Maybe not actually Chosen, but maybe like an uber-druid, a guardian of the forests that has progressed to the point of near-divinity.

Having said that, I'll also point out that I'm not an expert on this topic, and that there could very well be lore that contradicts my thinking.
ericlboyd Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 16:18:14
Salvatore has a definite perspective in his books.

The other perspective is based on FR5, Volo's Guide to the North, and The North.

This is just my personal take.

--Eric

quote:

Eric,

That is amazing regarding the Hosttower in Luskan. Where would I go to find the writings on that? That is amazing!

Best regards,

quote:

Arakhora
“Arakhor” is an Elven term that translates loosely as "one who protects the forest," or "tree warden." Akin in some respects to nature elementals, the arakhora drew life, energy, and intelligence from the forest in which they dwelt and gave back a forest's energy by serving as a caretaker and guardian. Writings preserved from the height of Aryvandaar by the church of Labelas Enoreth suggest that the arakhora were a form of elder treant, perhaps the progenitors of the treant race in its modern form. The last known living arakhor is the Grandfather Tree, located in the northwestern reaches of the High Forest. Aside from the arakhor stump on the western bank of the Unicorn Run, the only other known arakhor, living or dead, is the petrified arakhor that has been transformed into the Hostower of the Arcane in Luskan. (Other sources indicate that it is nothing of the sort, but is a dwarf-built edifice.) The legendary giant king, Tark of Thundercloud Keep, is said to have felled the arakhor by the Unicorn Run after his cloud castle got tangled in the arakhor’s upper branches.

cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 15:58:16
Eric,

Best regards,

quote:

Arakhora

Brimstone Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 13:59:57
quote:

Arakhora

That is good stuff Eric!
ericlboyd Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 13:20:04
Arakhora
cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 03:49:52
Master Krashos,

Thank you! I was kind of hoping for those though, TBH.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd created arakhors. He'd be the best person to ask, but I can safely rule out 4 and 5.

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 02:32:19
Eric Boyd created arakhors. He'd be the best person to ask, but I can safely rule out 4 and 5.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 22:50:10
Master Richardson,

Have you ever spoken with designers about arakhor at all, in terms of whether they ever had plans to develop it more?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

There was some good discussion of them in this scroll here:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14937

Some thoughts about what arakhor might be:
1) An ancient treant that has grown so large and old, that it has set down roots and become sessile.
2) A sentient tree, perhaps a proto-treant, from before they evolved the ability to walk around.
3) A special tree whose seeds, nuts or acorns produce treants (in fact, what if they are the female form of treants?)
4) The sons of Emmantiensien, the patron god (or archfey) of treants. As such, they may have divine rank 0 and rate as hero-gods.
5) Avatars of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, taken root in the material plane. By some accounts, Emmantienisen is himself an aspect of the World Tree, so 5 & 4 could be related.

TBeholder Posted - 01 Aug 2017 : 18:18:33
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

5) Avatars of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, taken root in the material plane. By some accounts, Emmantienisen is himself an aspect of the World Tree, so 5 & 4 could be related.

Nope, "child of Yggdrasil" is known to exist elsewhere.

6) Elves experimented with High Magic, discovered some really strange possibilities (hey, at least this time they didn't break the continent or anything).
Duneth Despana Posted - 23 Jul 2017 : 15:42:07
George Krashos mentions that the Hosttower in Luskan is a petrified arakhor in his Gauntlgrym article.
Gray Richardson Posted - 10 Feb 2013 : 21:22:04
There was some good discussion of them in this scroll here:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14937

Some thoughts about what arakhor might be:
1) An ancient treant that has grown so large and old, that it has set down roots and become sessile.
2) A sentient tree, perhaps a proto-treant, from before they evolved the ability to walk around.
3) A special tree whose seeds, nuts or acorns produce treants (in fact, what if they are the female form of treants?)
4) The sons of Emmantiensien, the patron god (or archfey) of treants. As such, they may have divine rank 0 and rate as hero-gods.
The Sage Posted - 10 Feb 2013 : 03:39:20
Aside from some of Gray's inspiring work incorporating pre-existing lore on the arakhor both here at Candlekeep and in Volume VII of the Candlekeep Compendium, I'm drawing a blank on any other information published elsewhere. I can't immediately remember anything pertinent.
George Krashos Posted - 10 Feb 2013 : 02:23:27
There isn't anymore published lore on arakhor, other than the sources you cite.

-- George Krashos
The Masked Mage Posted - 09 Feb 2013 : 22:17:21
I should clarify this question - I mean aside from the couple discussions on here, have those previously raised questions been answered by Ed or Eric?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000