Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Questions about Thesk

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cugel the clever Posted - 07 Oct 2012 : 23:09:31
Hello all,

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions I have regarding Thesk. The map seems to have changed drastically in between the publication of Spellbound and Unapproachable East -- is there a reason why Culmaster has been replaced by Gref's Ferry or why the rivers Eth and Flamm have changed places, or is it just unexplained retconning?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 09 Oct 2012 : 20:37:27
Of course.

I discovered something weird about that area yesterday (and the whole eastern realms in general). I had always though the maps were the same from 1e to 2e (and they pretty much are in the Western Heartlands), but in the east things... shrunk. There is a noticeable difference between that peninsula (The Vast/Impiltur) from 1e to 2e, and it shrinks even more from 2e to 3e. Did it shrink again in 4e?

Most of what I am tracing is 2e, but I had to go back to the 1e (Bloodstone) maps for that area - only the lower portion of Impiltur shows on the 2e Spellbound maps. Even the shape of the Easting Reach changed dramatically.

Fortunately, when I applied the 1e bloodstone map overlay, it solved another problem I was having further east, getting the Hordelands to line-up: The Old Empires map really doesn't line-up with anything correctly. Its nice when two problems solve each other.

Anyhow, I think you'll like what I've done to the place - a lot cleaner looking (and more detailed) then the other Impiltur map I did. It will be awhile before I get back to it though - I really need to polish-up the Anauroch so I can place the locales on the Western heartlands map (this distraction put me further behind schedule, but at least I am ahead of the game when I get to the east).
George Krashos Posted - 09 Oct 2012 : 12:28:36
You know where to find me.

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 09 Oct 2012 : 08:58:13
I changed my mind - I am going to have to go with the river name switch, because there is a lake involved as well. I've taken a good look at the UE map of that whole area and MAN, they screwed it up pretty bad. I've been working on trying to get everything to work but I am going to have to be pretty creative (for instance, Ethdil/Ethdale changed its name to Ethvale, and moved to a completely different location).

I can't wait until I am doing the eastern side of the map - some cool things are going on there. I am feeling inspired to do a newer map of Impiltur now (now that I've put all the terrain back where it belonged).
Markustay Posted - 08 Oct 2012 : 19:50:10
LOL - when I get to the eastern Realms portion of my new, 'corrected' 3e campaign map, the lower Eth river will be off the Flam river... I'd like to see them explain that.

Then again, a name is just a name, so it doesn't neccesarily have to connect to the other Eth river. In fact... I may just work on that now...
cugel the clever Posted - 08 Oct 2012 : 08:53:14
Thanks for the reply. Map errors tend to have the same effect on me.
Markustay Posted - 08 Oct 2012 : 05:26:23
As for the rivers, 3e maps have many errors like that. Just ignore them (and in the case of maps, newer lore DOES NOT trump older lore). Obviously Ethdale should be on the River Eth (and you made me realize my 3e Impiltur map is incorrect on this point - thanks for the heads-up).

I would guess someone thought Culmaster sounded too much like Mulmaster. Just a hunch is all.

EDIT: I just noticed a few locales missing there - I should update my Impiltur map. I didn't have the FRIA at the time I made that. The N/S axis got a bit messed up (its off by 9.2°), so when I compare the newer map with the older ones with that in mind, it looks like Culamster should be further south, so both could exist.

Sadly, the 3e designers added a 'lower Eth River' off the erroneous Eth River, which is impossible because that should be the River Flam. Just disregard anything in UE I guess. The art sucks ('angler elves') and the lore redundant (two types of wood giants? REALLY? was anyone even using the first group that we needed another one?)

Sorry... map errors send me to a dark place...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000