Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A question of wages and treasure

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Farrel Posted - 02 Jul 2011 : 13:22:13
Well met all!

I was hoping that some learned scribes would be able to help with a few "sticking points" that i've come across while DMing my campaign.

1) The player character in my campaign, Tavelle Windwalker, has recently started accompanying the Riders of Misteldale on patrols to provide magical support.
My question is one of wages, what do you think the payment for a militiaman, per tenday of patrol, would be?

2) My recent sessions have revolved around a slightly modified adventure taken from Lords of Darkness (REF5), The Tombs of Deckon Thar. There's a sizable amount of treasure upon completion. My first reaction would be that any coinage/tradebars/gems would be seized by the Council of Six for Mistledale's treasury. Any recovered magical items would be studied, and if found useful, they might be made available to the Riders for future use.
How would you distribute any treasure acquired when on patrol?

Any ideas would be very welcome.

If you fancy a read, my campaign can be found here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13604
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gouf Posted - 05 Aug 2011 : 17:09:25
In the 2e DMG, there is a chart of wages for various professions in the section regarding building castles. It lists various wages on weekly/monthly basis.
Farrel Posted - 05 Aug 2011 : 16:10:17
I thought I would update this scroll with the variant Frostbrand that I created for my Mistledale campaign.

It was detailed as a Broadsword in the original 2nd Edition adventure and I decided that as the sword was first wielded by a Dwarven King a Broadsword would be the Dwarvish version of a Longsword.

It has the same statistics as a longsword but has a slightly shorter, heavier blade.

This is the weapon wielded by Vinjarek, the Greater Wight

Deepchill, +3 Icy Sundering Frost Broadsword.
AL LN; Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 10; Languages Dwarven; Telepathy, 60ft darkvision and hearing; Ego score 14
Lesser Powers: Energy Resistance Fire (10), Stonecunning
Personality: Deepchill is only really happy underground. It used to belong to a Dwarven King, who lost it in battle to the Netherese who were then buried in a section of The Barrowfields.
Deepchill would rather belong to a Dwarf, but anyone who spends alot of time underground is all right.
Strong Evocation, Moderate Transmutation; CL 14th; Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Chill Metal or Ice Storm, Protection from Energy, Shatter; Price:?.

New Weapon Special Ability
Icy Sundering
In addition to granting the Improved Sunder feat, this special ability is particularly devastating against metal armour and weapons. If the first Sunder attempt is successful the weapon ignores object Hardness on any further attempts to Sunder the effected object. This is due to the intense cold radiated by weapons with this special ability.
Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Chill Metal or Ice Storm, Shatter; Price: +2 Bonus.
Farrel Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 00:44:52
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

There's a "short broadsword" in the "Complete Adventurer", maybe you can adapt that. Otherwise I'd just take the stats of either a long- or a bastard-sword.

Thanks MisterX,

I think the Longsword stats are a good choice, i'll go with that.
MisterX Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 00:30:39
There's a "short broadsword" in the "Complete Adventurer", maybe you can adapt that. Otherwise I'd just take the stats of either a long- or a bastard-sword.
Farrel Posted - 02 Jul 2011 : 23:09:52
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX
Regarding the Dalelands, I'd rule that a patrol can keep anything it gained in a certain distance from the borders, to encourage the militia to patrol a broader radius.

That's something I'd not considered, or even thought of, thankyou very much.

I'm very lucky with the player, he's been playing for 20 years, he's patient and isn't greedy. He has just come to realise that being a Wizard can be expensive, especially if you have the Craft Wondrous Item feat.

The area that the patrol have to enter is almost a "no-go" area part of Mistledale, the Barrowfields.

Due to the nature of some of the treasure involved I was considering the Council of Six claiming certain pieces to display. In the adventure, amongst the Greater Wight's equipment, there is a crown worth 15,000gp. If you poke around in a few sources about the Barrowfields there is a mention that the barrows could well be of Netherese origin. I just thought that certain pieces, with a history, might be considered heirlooms of the dale perhaps?

There's also a sentient Frostbrand broadsword, named Deepchill.

I haven't seen a official Broadsword detailed for 3.5, and was thinking of just having it as a longsword variant? Any thoughts on this would be welcome.
I also really dislike the 3.5 version of the Frostbrand vs. the 2nd edition one, any alternate suggestions for a different version would be useful.
MisterX Posted - 02 Jul 2011 : 22:23:05
I'd consider this amount reasonable, too.

As for the loot:
quote:
originally posted by Farrel
My first reaction would be that any coinage/tradebars/gems would be seized by the Council of Six for Mistledale's treasury.

You could think of a "bonus" due to loyal serve or sth of 1/5 to 1/2 (or even more) of the treasure looted. That should keep your players from whining (mine would do, sadly), but is still reasonable with the backgrounds.

quote:
Any recovered magical items would be studied, and if found useful, they might be made available to the Riders for future use.

My first idea was to have no diffs in handling "money" or "items", but this idea is much better. Do so. :)

quote:
How would you distribute any treasure acquired when on patrol?

Depends. In uncivilised lands, it's okay to lure adventurers with the "what you find with the monsters you've killed, YOU get"-thing. In more civilised lands, most likely the crown (or local noble; in general: the government) claims all aquired items/goods/money from monsters/criminals. Regarding the Dalelands, I'd rule that a patrol can keep anything it gained in a certain distance from the borders, to encourage the militia to patrol a broader radius. In contrast, when they track down a thief within the dale, of course his belongings are claimed by the council.
Farrel Posted - 02 Jul 2011 : 21:55:23
Thanks shandiris,

I was thinking around 40gp-50gp for the tenday patrol, I'll probably go with 50gp.

I would probably continue at that level of payment, regardless of the player's actual level.
shandiris Posted - 02 Jul 2011 : 20:58:10
Normal dnd rules say 1gp per/day for a pc class with 2 gp more for each lvl beyond 1. And 1sp for a npc class with 2 sp for each level beyond 1.
In my experience these are quite reasonable as long as you don't exceed lvl 4.
Farrel Posted - 02 Jul 2011 : 20:51:47
Thanks Kentinal,

The Wizard in question is 3rd level at the moment and getting very near to 4th. The militia are provided board and food for the first, and last, night of their patrols. The typical militiaman is given a horse, armour, weapons, and provisions for the tenday that they are out on patrol. I just found it really difficult, to set a gp/tenday wage, so I thought I would ask for some help.

As for the recovered treasure, i'd been thinking along the lines of a percentage of the total value of any monetary treasure. I dont think I would be inclined to include the magic item gp values.

Kentinal Posted - 02 Jul 2011 : 14:54:04
Wages always can be hard to determine, a magic user tends to get paid more, higher pay higher level of pay. You did not state level.

There also are other factors, provided room and board, equipment repair and so on.

As to recovered treasure, rewards could be a set fee, however more likely a percentage of what is recovered. Payment in coin or the more minor magic items. Potions, maybe low level scrolls and so o.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000