Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms article on Wikipedia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BOZ Posted - 27 Jan 2009 : 02:20:55
Based on recent successes with Gary Gygax, Wizards of the Coast, Dragons of Despair, and Drizzt Do'Urden (and despite soul-crushing defeats at Gen Con and Unearthed Arcana), we have nominated Forgotten Realms for "Good Article" status. :) You can view the review page, and if there is anything you can do to make the article better, please go ahead and add it in, or let us know. :)

Probably one of the most clearly needed things which has been requested, is to expand the reception section. If you can think of any product, especially anything that reflects the Realms setting in general, we really need to know. The best stuff is that which is most readily accessible (on the web), or not too hard to find (Dragon magazine, other mags and such), but anything you can think of might lead to good info.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Feb 2009 : 16:31:30
Having read the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy, I do think Elminster is a major character, but he does not upstage or even come equal to the role that is played by the Rangers Three.

Just my opinion.
Kajehase Posted - 06 Feb 2009 : 09:53:27
It's been a while since I read the third one (I always get the titles mixed up), but I recently made an audio-book of the second (for myself only), and I'd say that there's enough Elminster-action in it to consider him a "co-star" of the book. I sure remember a lot of my best attempts at imitating what I've heard of Ed doing Elminster causing havoc to my throat.
Faraer Posted - 05 Feb 2009 : 21:49:16
He is in Shadows of Doom, but takes a back seat in the other two, no?
Kajehase Posted - 05 Feb 2009 : 09:02:24
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

'several series of novels created by Greenwood himself': He's only the main character in one. I'd also delete 'created', as the Elminster series wasn't his idea.

And even in that series he's not the main character in Elminster's Daughter. Though, on the other hand, I'd say he's as much of a main character in The Shadows of the Avatar trilogy as the Rangers Three.
Faraer Posted - 04 Feb 2009 : 20:21:10
Here's some:

'Forgotten Realms': shouldn't be italic
'The Realms': lose the capital T
The Realms is a fantasy world that has been used as a D&D setting; that wasn't (as you note) its original purpose and it's not its main current purpose, when there's an active novel line but no more sourcebooks.
'largely due to': Speculative. Change to 'aided by'.
'somewhere beyond the real world': Vague. It exists as part of the multiverse as conceived by Morris, Moorcock, Greenwood, Gygax et al.
'setting is described as': By who? 'mighty' suggests active, which is misleading, see below.
'seemingly supernatural phenomena': Referring to what, and seeming so to Faerūnians or to us? Dodgy either way.
'Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Maztica': I'd mention that these are TSR add-ons.
'the 2nd edition...': Incomprehensible to the reader not versed in D&D, and isn't significant anyway.
'...FR13 Anauroch' et al.: TSR product codes don't take italics.
'the Great Wheel': This is a specifically Planescape coinage, rarely found in Realms sources. The 'wheel' is just the Outer Planes, anyway, not the whole planar structure.
'They do not have a passive role, but in fact interact directly in mortal affairs': They very rarely do this: the article is furthering a Realms canard here.
'all mortals must worship a patron deity to secure a good afterlife': People in the Realms go to afterlives based on which god they worshipped most, whether or not it was a formal 'patron'. That idea is an oversimplification in the 2001 FRCS. Better to stress the polytheism of Faerūnian worship.
'The Chosen': No itals, lowercase T. Midnight and Mystra aren't Chosen (the latter reading seems to stem from a misplaced parenthesis) in any sense. Fzoul is not a Chosen in the same sense as Mystra's, and doesn't carry part of a god's power as they do.
'several iconic characters': Iconic characters are an imposed marketing gimmick. Here the article confuses world-building with marketing.
'several series of novels created by Greenwood himself': He's only the main character in one. I'd also delete 'created', as the Elminster series wasn't his idea.
'Each issue contained twenty-six pages', 'fifty-six page annual'. Is this significant? Also, missing hyphen between 'six' and 'page'.
'A series of module adaptations for these novels': Although Ed wrote them from the TSR team's plots, he was working from incomplete draft manuscripts at best. They're really parallel to the novels.

I'd make the edits myself, but I don't need Wikipedia politics and drama.
BOZ Posted - 30 Jan 2009 : 02:10:39
Hey, we made it! :) Meanwhile, if you can add anything useful to that article (or any other) from a reliable source, please do so. :)
BOZ Posted - 28 Jan 2009 : 00:17:07
We can include damn near anything, if we can point to a source from whence the information came. Right now, just about everything is sourced, which is another big improvement. Ed's recollections would be nice, but I don't know what kind of form they may have needed to be published in (for example, messageboard posts, mailing lists, and e-mails are pretty much at the bottom in terms of preference). If you can direct me to any sources (or tell me what they say, if it would be difficult for me to access them myself), that would go a long way. :)
Faraer Posted - 27 Jan 2009 : 23:47:41
It's much better than it used to be. It doesn't give much of a sense of what the Realms is like or the manner it was published (or even hint at the major disharmonies between the two) -- but how much scope do Wikipedia's policies allow for that? There are a few mischaracterizations and several other minor mistakes that I'll post about later. Otherwise, I'd want to see mentions of the Realms' literary influences and its influence in turn on D&D and shared-world fiction.
BOZ Posted - 27 Jan 2009 : 18:37:13
Then roll to attack again? :)
IngoDjan Posted - 27 Jan 2009 : 03:36:00
I miss the Realms!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000