Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aboleth egg

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Skeptic Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 20:56:55

An aboleth wants one of his egg back, the egg was stolen by adventurers working for the Old Monster Shop from Waterdeep.

How much do you think such an horrible thing would cost?

What kind of foul could want to buy one ?

(The idea about the egg came into my mind while playing, I needed a way to make my PCs make a deal with an aboleth who got a portal in his lair)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Skeptic Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 21:47:20
Don't forget an army of Skum swimming around :) (With half of them being only illusion)

When they returned with the egg, they got their friend back, and they return back to river Sargauth using the portal, breaking the Veil spell used by the Aboleth to make their now-skum friend looking human !

The best of it, it is rated CR 7
tauster Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 21:37:48
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Picture a fish with three eyes and four tentacles that spews mucus and has psionic powers . . .

itīs even worse, actually: picture a race of highly intelligent being that not only gains the knowledge of all beings it consumes but also the complete(!) knowledge of his parents!
that makes aboleth one of the most dangerous races in existence, at least imho. ...and now, add to this a highly efficient mode of communication through telepathic contact between individual aboleth, the ability to enslave other races and the highly defensible habitat (lower underdark, most often submerged "cities").

as dm, you canīt get a better mastermind than that.
as player, your most horrific nightmare has come true.
Faramicos Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 21:22:07
OK... Just wanted to know to understand the discussion.
Xysma Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 15:31:16
It could potentially be a valuable spell component, I would suggest the article "Power Components" from Dragon 317, you should be able to use that to approximate the egg's worth.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 14:43:10
Picture a fish with three eyes and four tentacles that spews mucus and has psionic powers . . .
Kentinal Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 14:42:55
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

sorry for being a little unknowing, but what exactly is an aboleth?

As per the SRD

" The aboleth is a revolting fishlike amphibian found primarily in subterranean lakes and rivers. An aboleth has a pink belly. Four pulsating blueblack orifices line the bottom of its body and secrete gray slime that smells like rancid grease. It uses its tail for propulsion in the water and drags itself along with its tentacles on land. An aboleth weighs about 6,500 pounds.

Aboleths speak their own language, as well as Undercommon and Aquan. "
Faramicos Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 14:40:00
sorry for being a little unknowing, but what exactly is an aboleth?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 21:30:13
I'd make the cost of the egg be directly related to the CR of the critter that laid it. Another factor that could raise the price is how difficult it is to keep the egg viable.
Kentinal Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 21:22:20
Well I did not even know they laid eggs so can not directly address that.

As to the value of the egg there are two ways to go.

Some kind of spell component subsitute, in which case the market value would be about the same as the normal spell component cost.

However if it is very hard to obtain and keep an egg a collector might pay far more for such an egg. Perhaps a person that runs an exotic zoo. Perhaps a mage that seeks to create a new race or just have control over its power in some ways. This option of course would result in whomever is now in possession has many defenses in place to keep the egg.

I would use a starting value of 1,000 gold because of the difficulty of undersea stealing. The price of course can be much higher if getting an egg is very difficult in the first place.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000