Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 What is Iakhovas?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Osieu Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 15:10:53
Hi everyone!

I know Iakhovas is the main villain of a novel (The Threat from the Sea I think?), though I haven't read this novel yet. And I have read his description in The Sea of Fallen Stars. But I still have a question: What is Iakhovas anyway? Is he a giant shark or a humanoid? Is he a demon or some unique creature, like the Elder Evils? It's said in Cloak and Dagger that he's a wereshark. Is that true? What does he look like? And what abilities does he have (or ever used in novels)?

I would be very appreciated if anyone could help me on these questions. Thank you in advance!
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 20 Feb 2020 : 21:18:07
Seeker Osieu, et alia,

A great update here for anyone still interested in this to be able to go to one location:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Iakhovas

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Osieu

Hi everyone!

I know Iakhovas is the main villain of a novel (The Threat from the Sea I think?), though I haven't read this novel yet. And I have read his description in The Sea of Fallen Stars. But I still have a question: What is Iakhovas anyway? Is he a giant shark or a humanoid? Is he a demon or some unique creature, like the Elder Evils? It's said in Cloak and Dagger that he's a wereshark. Is that true? What does he look like? And what abilities does he have (or ever used in novels)?

I would be very appreciated if anyone could help me on these questions. Thank you in advance!

KnightErrantJR Posted - 23 Jul 2005 : 15:47:32
I think it might be a minor point of arguement that he swam in the lower planes then led his hunters (the other Megaladons, expressed as dire sharks in 3e/3.5) into the waters of Toril. According to my above write up he would have been a megalodon first, then gifted with the ability to change into humanoid form by Sekolah, thus making him a sharkwere (i.e. he has no ability to transmit lycanthrope, nor is he limited by phases of the moon, etc.)

I was hoping my write up would pull together both what was stated and current 3e/3.5 lore that has come up since. I'm not sure how precise you can get with events that happened in pre history.
Hoondatha Posted - 23 Jul 2005 : 08:22:27
It was stated pretty explicitly at the end of Threat from the Sea that he was a megalodon, the last of the giant sharks from the dawning of the world. He swam an devoured in Toril's prehistory, and caught the fancy of both Sekolah and Umberlee. My guess is that he learned magic from Umberlee (one of her many gifts to him) and he may have been the start of the tradition of sharks being sahuagin companions (though in this case it would be Iakhovas being Sekolah's companion).

He's definately not a were-shark. He's a megalodon, and one of the most ancient creatures on the planet. Quite simply, the rules don't apply in quite the same way to him.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 06:47:24
Thanks Sage, I just might do that . . .
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 06:41:00
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The Legend of Iakhovas
A very nice adaptation KnightErrantJR . I like the way you've played on the "divine-offspring" connection between Sekolah and Iakhovas.

You should really consider asking Alaundo to include this in his next site update for Candlekeep.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 06:17:43
The Legend of Iakhovas

What follows is an account as written on a huge stone slab, nearly ten feet tall by five feet wide, written in a variation of the Infernal tongue. The slab is currently resting with other artifacts similar to it in a tower on Evermeet, having been recovered by Sea Elven scavengers. While the stone does not radiate magic of any sort, it seems to be remarkably resistant to any form of divination magic, and elven sages debate the veracity of the account, though they admit they have no information to either confirm or deny what is carved into the slab.

Since before there were world, and as soon as there was an ocean, there was Sekolah. Sekolah was the first hunter in the sea, and none dare enter his waters without his leave. But Sekolah was not a creature to be contented by simple appeasement, nor with only the pleasures of killing for the sake of appeasing base insticts.

And so Sekolah brought forth his hunters, the greatest of all the creatures that latter species would know as the sharks. Sekolah made them the perfect hunters, sleek and powerful, with endless teeth and an endless appitite. And of all his hunters, one was the finest, the largest, and the most cunning.

For untold time Sekolah and his hunters commanded the waters of the lower planes, given tribute by the fiends that came near their waters. But Sekolah was not content to dine on their sacrifices, nor to hunt the other feeble creatures of the sea. Sekolah knew that the land dwellers had secrets and power unknown to him, and he desired it as well.

Sekolah called forth his finest hunter, his most cunning child, and blessed it with the ability to change his shape to that of the fiends, and to walk on land, outside of the deadly waters of the lower planes. Sekolah sent his child to spy on the fiends and learn their secrets.

Sekolah's child, known as Iakhovas, walked on the land like the fiends did, and he walked among them. He learned of their greatest secret. The fiends knew that the gods had planned on making a new creature, mortals that would live and die and spend their whole lives elsewhere before dwelling forever with the gods, and these mortals would have great potential.

The fiends had endless plans to temp and corrupt the mortals, but when Iakhovas told Sekolah of the plans of the fiends, and the secret of the gods, the design of mortals, Sekolah knew what must be done. He knew that the mortals, being subject to death, would know fear, and thus could be dominated. He knew that they had great potential, and thus might plot secrets on the land that his children would not learn.
So Sekolah acted according to his nature.

Sekolah blessed Iakhovas with a new gift, the gift to change into the form of mortals. He charged Iakhovas with the task of bringing fear and reverance to the mortals, and he also tasked him to find their secrets and spread them among the children of Sekolah. Sekolah gave Iakhovas a host of his best hunters, and told Iakhovas to swim far away, toward the grey light that marked the end of the waters of the Lower Planes and the begining of the Lands Still In Chaos.

Iakhovis arrived with his hunters in the great primordial ocean. He sent his hunters to the four corners of the ocean to seek out the greatest threats and the best prey, and to establish their domains. And he himself took the form of a mortal and walked the New Land.

When he arrived, Iakhovas found that the gods still argued over creation. They had yet to put into effect their plans, as the darkness argued with the light, and the with the earth herself. Iakhovas mocked the gods for their quarelling, and taunted them the fate of their mortals.

The light and the earth were enraged, but it pleased the darkness to hide him, and so Iakhovas dove into the ocean, to await the coming of mortals, to cause in them great fear and to walk among them and learn all of their secrets.
TomCosta Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 18:04:28
Weresharks were updated in Lost Empires of Faerun as well.

That said, I really like the idea of a dire sharkwere with levels of sorcerer and perhaps some chosen/half-fiend abilities (you could always use powers listed for Sekolah'avatar and clerics in the 2E Monster Mythology and the 2E Sahuagin books for inspiration).
Skeptic Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 14:38:27
Ah, sorry I forgot that in 3E, templates where at the end of the books :)
The Sage Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 02:58:42
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Someone talked about a wereshark, where stats for such creature can be found ? (If it exists in 3/3.5E)

Monsters of Faerūn.
Skeptic Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 22:42:34
Someone talked about a wereshark, where stats for such creature can be found ? (If it exists in 3/3.5E)
Shadovar Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 05:29:30
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Perpaps Iakhovas was a Magaladon shark in Sekolah's domain. He slowly developed conciousness, and eventually began to take shape as a humanoid. He could have picked up some tricks of spellcasting on the lower plans, swimming with Sekolah, and then eventually swam through a portal that led him to the oceans of Toril, thus unleashing him there.

A resonable and logical explanation about Iakhovas origins.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 05:26:13
Perpaps Iakhovas was a Magaladon shark in Sekolah's domain. He slowly developed conciousness, and eventually began to take shape as a humanoid. He could have picked up some tricks of spellcasting on the lower plans, swimming with Sekolah, and then eventually swam through a portal that led him to the oceans of Toril, thus unleashing him there.
Kuje Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 05:21:58
quote:
Originally posted by RedStrike

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Still, one big question is whether he was created by Sekolah or some other deity as the coming of Iakhovas was long before the arrival of the mortal races, and it was mentioned in the Threat of the Sea Trilogy that Iakhovas was the one who swims beside Sekolah, who knows he may be some kind of agent for Sekolah? If he is not, then how did Iakhovas in his Sharkwere state came to master or learn socery when sorcery that time was not well known yet?

Maybe he learned it on the planes? :)

Learned it from the planes? But how?

Er? What do you mean? Magic has existed on the planes longer then it did in Realmspace or Toril.
RedStrike Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 05:04:47
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Still, one big question is whether he was created by Sekolah or some other deity as the coming of Iakhovas was long before the arrival of the mortal races, and it was mentioned in the Threat of the Sea Trilogy that Iakhovas was the one who swims beside Sekolah, who knows he may be some kind of agent for Sekolah? If he is not, then how did Iakhovas in his Sharkwere state came to master or learn socery when sorcery that time was not well known yet?

Learned it from the planes? But how?
Kuje Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 04:46:42
quote:

Shadovar Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 04:11:04
Osieu Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 02:57:20
Yes! Sharkwere! Thanks for the excellent idea, KnightErrantJR. I almost forget these creatures since 3rd edition...

So it would be an ancient Magaladon Sharkwere with some mage levels or spell-like abilities (maybe from the Chosen status)?

Thank you all!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 02:20:00
I would almost argue with such strong affinity for his shark side and the age that he was suppose to be, he may have been a Magaladon Shark that acheived sentience and later learned to appear human, rather than the other way around . . . which technically would make him a Sharkwere instead . . .
Shadovar Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 00:05:25
Iakhovas was a wereshark, right indeed. But curious, don't anyone find it odd that such a lycanthrope can have access to such powerful spells and arcane knowledge while other lycanthropes do not have such privileges.

Stranger still when it was said in the ToTS(threat of the sea) trology that Iakhovas was the first living creature to walk the surface of the world long before the coming of the mortal races and the first one who really spoke with and questioned the workings of the gods. How is it that this first lycanthrope first came into existence before the coming of other lycanthropes and the mortal races? If he was a human once before, then how is it that he came to be granted the ability to turn into a shark? By Sekolah, the deity of the Sahuagin? I am sure that time, the mortal races were not present on Toril yet.

Any comments? Thanks in advance.
TomCosta Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 19:23:31
You might go with a were-dire shark (IMO) wizard, with either some sort of chosen template or perhaps the half-fiend template (though that wouldn't be quite accurate).
Kuje Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 17:58:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thank you Kuje!

Is there anything else about him in Waterdeep? Like the stats or something? In some Amazon reviews, it's said that he seems to be able to cast a lot of powerful spells...

I don't recall ever seeing stats for him...

He's never been stat'd as far as I know. :)
Osieu Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 17:31:07
Alright, it seems that all we got is that he's a wereshark, maybe can cast some spells?

Thank you, Wooly Rupert!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 17:26:44
quote:

Thank you Kuje!

Is there anything else about him in Waterdeep? Like the stats or something? In some Amazon reviews, it's said that he seems to be able to cast a lot of powerful spells...

I don't recall ever seeing stats for him...
Osieu Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 17:25:35
Thank you, Kuje!

Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 17:25:30
It's been a while since I read that trilogy, and it wasn't one of my favorites...

I believe that even in the trilogy he was called a wereshark, though he certainly is a very powerful example of that breed. He was also spoken of as being a former lover of Umberlee; so I'd not think it unlikely that he had some divine help on his side.
Kuje Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 17:14:55
The new Waterdeep book also says he is a wereshark, so that's what I'm going with.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000