Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Wil Upchurch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 08 May 2005 : 09:06:49
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a game designer of the Realms, namely - Wil Upchurch. Wil has worked on the upcoming Champions of Ruin sourcebook as well as the Silverymoon: Gem of the North netbook project and Dungeon Adventures.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zanan Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 16:35:08
One the same note, but more eloquently put ...
Hello everyone!

This one goes to the designers of Champions of Ruin. We are discussing the draegloth over on the races board of Wizards and a question arose about the missing SR of the draegloth despite of its "SR-parents". It did not receive Spell Resistance in its first write-up in Monsters of Faerûn, but this was corrected in a Monster FAQ afterwards (and used in City of the Spider Queen). Afterwards, it disappears again, namely in the savage progression of CoR. One would expect that a being created of a demon (with SR) and a drow (with SR), which is essentially a half-fiend (with SR) would also gain this. While I have no problem with draegloth having none, I would like to know whether this was done "on purpose" (you see, they are sterile too, so maybe Lolth didn't want them to be that powerful) or did it just escape the designers' attention?

All the best, Zanan!
Waldham Posted - 22 Mar 2006 : 18:45:04
Hello,

Erudite_Bastich :

quote:
Draegloth were intended to have SR, at least when they were first introduced. There's always the chance that has changed since then, of course, but there's no clarification stating outright that it has as of yet.

The following is copied from MONSTERFAQ1302003.pdf (Sage Advice compilation file that includes Monsters of Faeraun), which should still be available to download. I spaced the info out for ease of reading, and bolded the parts most relevant to this topic.

What does the term "drow abilities" refer to in the
draegloth's (from Monsters of Faerûn) special qualities
entry? Does a draegloth get spell resistance?

It refers to the special qualities of drow, which are listed in
the drow entry in the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Setting
book (and in the Monster Manual). These include the
following:

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day dancing lights, darkness, and
faerie fire. These abilities are as the spells cast by a sorcerer
of the drow's character level.

Darkvision up to 120 feet.

Spell resistance 11 + class level.

+2 racial bonus on Will saves against spells and spell-like
abilities.

Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such
as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. In
addition, they take a -1 circumstance penalty on all attack
rolls, saves, and checks while operating in bright light.

Proficient with longsword, rapier, longbow, composite
longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow, regardless of
character class.

Immunity to magic sleep spells and effects.
+2 racial bonus on Will saves against Enchantment spells
or effects.

+2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks. A
drow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or
concealed door is entitled to a Search check as though
actively looking for it.

Note that a draegloth with class levels has Spell Resistance
11, despite its number of Hit Dice.

Why didn't the SR include in the Champions of Ruin (savage progression) - write-up of the race ?

Or perhaps the draegloth don't have the spell resistance ?

Thanks for your future help.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 12 Nov 2005 : 00:47:42
Thanks for your reply Wil. The module was a lot of fun, and I look forward to any details you can share.
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 11 Nov 2005 : 16:13:49
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Wil, I just wanted to check in and let you know I really liked the Twisted Run. I'm sorry I didn't call out your adventure the way I have been with the recent FR content in Dungeon, but since someone else beat me to posting info on the issue I didn't want to make a redundant thread.

The adventure does fit well as a somewhat quick drop into a night's gaming for high level characters, and I agree with what you said on the Paizo forums about high level characters needing to pull a "Conan" on a bunch of lower level adversaries. Personally though, I am thinking of weaving this adventure and its prequel in my campaign as a running theme for the Meillikki worshiping rogue druid in the group. Specifically, I may hint at anth-Malar when they first visit the Silver Marches, so that I can use him as a running "boogey man" type charactes.

Do you have any more ideas on anth-Malar's background, other exploits that he may have perpetrated for the Beast Lord, or the like.

Also, if you could have written up any more background material for the higher level NPCs, such as the Dwarven wizard and rangers, would you have, or did you have any backstory in mind besides the overall story of the dwarven settlers.

Finally, any more backstory on the Azer sorcerer?

Just wondering, and I love picking the brains of you creative types.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Well, depending on the time frame of your campaign, anth-Malar could be presented as a lower-level adversary before he becomes a Chosen. He's fairly new, and with a little switch of the throwaway background in Forest of Blood, could just be a devout barbarian leader until sometime between that module and the Twisted Run, when he catches Malar's attention. Both he and Malar are somewhat impulsive, vicious, and quick to act. Having an enemy that the PCs defeated early in their careers come back as a Chosen could make for a great campaign climax.

As for your specific questions, I'm starting to believe some of the background I *did* write got cut for space reasons (as well it should, all things considered), so let me get ahold of a copy of the published module and compare it before I answer those questions.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 11 Nov 2005 : 01:47:04
Hey Wil, I just wanted to check in and let you know I really liked the Twisted Run. I'm sorry I didn't call out your adventure the way I have been with the recent FR content in Dungeon, but since someone else beat me to posting info on the issue I didn't want to make a redundant thread.

The adventure does fit well as a somewhat quick drop into a night's gaming for high level characters, and I agree with what you said on the Paizo forums about high level characters needing to pull a "Conan" on a bunch of lower level adversaries. Personally though, I am thinking of weaving this adventure and its prequel in my campaign as a running theme for the Meillikki worshiping rogue druid in the group. Specifically, I may hint at anth-Malar when they first visit the Silver Marches, so that I can use him as a running "boogey man" type charactes.

Do you have any more ideas on anth-Malar's background, other exploits that he may have perpetrated for the Beast Lord, or the like.

Also, if you could have written up any more background material for the higher level NPCs, such as the Dwarven wizard and rangers, would you have, or did you have any backstory in mind besides the overall story of the dwarven settlers.

Finally, any more backstory on the Azer sorcerer?

Just wondering, and I love picking the brains of you creative types.

Thanks for all the hard work!
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 25 Oct 2005 : 06:41:50
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Apparently your module will be in Dungeon 129

The Twisted Run
by Wil Upchurch
Faerun’s Northlands have always been a dangerous frontier. The frozen woods and treacherous mountains are home to orcs, trolls, lycanthropes, and worse. When the Lady Alustriel brought the northern nations together, the Beastlord Malar could no longer watch as his wilderness was slowly civilized. The god chose his most worthy follower, anth-Malar, suffused him with divine essence, and tasked him with bringing devastation and chaos to all who defiled the wilderness. A FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for 17th-level characters.

Yes, that caught me by surprise. Next time I have the crazy idea to write a high-level module, SHOOT ME.
Dargoth Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 03:45:48
Apparently your module will be in Dungeon 129

The Twisted Run
by Wil Upchurch
Faerun’s Northlands have always been a dangerous frontier. The frozen woods and treacherous mountains are home to orcs, trolls, lycanthropes, and worse. When the Lady Alustriel brought the northern nations together, the Beastlord Malar could no longer watch as his wilderness was slowly civilized. The god chose his most worthy follower, anth-Malar, suffused him with divine essence, and tasked him with bringing devastation and chaos to all who defiled the wilderness. A FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for 17th-level characters.

Wil_Upchurch Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 03:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by daarkknight

So Wil, can you at least confirm what we've seen elsewhere about your collaboration on a book titled "Mysteries of the Moonsea?"

Daarkknight

A little late, as Amazon scooped me, but yes, I worked on Mysteries of the Moonsea.
daarkknight Posted - 02 Oct 2005 : 03:22:28
So Wil, can you at least confirm what we've seen elsewhere about your collaboration on a book titled "Mysteries of the Moonsea?"

Daarkknight
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 18 Sep 2005 : 04:25:22
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wil_Upchurch

quote:

Have Pazio told you what issue your next FR module will appear in?

Yes. :D

*Picks up Rod of Smiting*

Care to share which issue?

I haven't seen my contract yet, so that means it's not set in stone. My info is based on a conversation at Gencon, but if that holds up you won't have long to wait.
Dargoth Posted - 17 Sep 2005 : 05:36:40
quote:

quote:

*Picks up Rod of Smiting*

Care to share which issue?
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 17 Sep 2005 : 05:18:18
quote:

Dargoth Posted - 12 Sep 2005 : 00:01:09
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 11 Sep 2005 : 23:57:07
quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Hello Will !!

So, once again, what can you tell us about the Shadows of the Soul feat ??

Thanks

Howdy Tork,

Actually I can't expound on that feat, as it's part of a larger system that might be included in a future book (I just found that out recently). Just replace that feat with Stealthy. :)
Torkwaret Posted - 01 Sep 2005 : 16:34:00
Hello Will !!

So, once again, what can you tell us about the Shadows of the Soul feat ??

Thanks
Dargoth Posted - 30 Aug 2005 : 06:00:17
quote:

quote:

*Sees Will lurking in the forums*

Hows that sequel to Forest of Blood going Wil?

*Cracks Whip*

Well, let's just say that after several recent forays into Waterdeep, I hope your characters are ready to head North for some epic adventure. ;)

Cool!

If Eric Mona keeps this up he must just wringle a Dungeon Subscription out of me
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 30 Aug 2005 : 05:34:57
quote:

*Cracks Whip*

Well, let's just say that after several recent forays into Waterdeep, I hope your characters are ready to head North for some epic adventure. ;)
Dargoth Posted - 10 Jul 2005 : 03:59:31

*Cracks Whip*
LordEverhate Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 18:13:03
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

Damn Wil, I see you hit the big time eh? No more FFG for you, I guess ;).

Hey, Midnight 2nd Edition just hit the shelves! ;)

Can you summarize the changes here? I spent 35 bucks on the first book, after all. :)

I really wish FFG hadn't dropped the whole 'work for hire' thing. I really did like writing for them and really wanted to work on Midnight and Dawnforge. :-/
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 07:18:29
And I very much plan on getting Midnight2nd Ed along with Waterdeep asap.

Though I love the Realms DEEPLY dont leave midnight hanging if you have a choice; I beg thee!!

PFoA
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 06:48:48
quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

Damn Wil, I see you hit the big time eh? No more FFG for you, I guess ;).

Hey, Midnight 2nd Edition just hit the shelves! ;)
LordEverhate Posted - 15 Jun 2005 : 04:28:11
Damn Wil, I see you hit the big time eh? No more FFG for you, I guess ;)

So, how ya been? Haven't seen you in #dnd3e in a while.
Torkwaret Posted - 31 May 2005 : 21:15:01
Ah Hah !! Well it seems you are right, it definitely isn't in the book.

Would it be possible to post it here on the boards...
Wil_Upchurch Posted - 31 May 2005 : 20:01:34
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't think 'Shadows of the Soul' is a feat from another D&D resource. I just run a search through the updated online listing (as well as the Bookwyrm's Feats list ), and came up empty.

Perhaps Mr Upchurch will know more...

I still don't have my books, but that feat was part of my turnover; it sounds like it was cut from the manuscript.
The Sage Posted - 29 May 2005 : 14:47:15
I don't think 'Shadows of the Soul' is a feat from another D&D resource. I just run a search through the updated online listing (as well as the Bookwyrm's Feats list ), and came up empty.

Perhaps Mr Upchurch will know more...
Torkwaret Posted - 29 May 2005 : 13:02:00
Dear Will Upchurch !!

I've found a question on the WOTC boards about a feat from Champions of Ruin I'd too like to get answered, so I post it here:

quote:
"...a feat on page 124 possessed by Leargath, called "Shadows of the Soul". I was wondering, Mr. Upchurch, if that was a feat that was considered but ultimately excluded from CoR for whatever reason. If it was, would you mind filling us in on its use?

I haven't heard of it, but maybe it's a feat from another book. If that's the case, you need only name the source if you don't mind and I'll look it up myself..."

Thanks !
Dargoth Posted - 23 May 2005 : 05:32:05
quote:

quote:
The presence of an Demon prince/Arch Devi/Slaad Lord in an area might create a 4-5 level evil Node. There might be one beneath Eltabbar due to Eltabs presence.
I'd rather see a Slaad Lord create a chaos node, if they are ever detailed in some future product. Lawful or evil nodes would remain with demon prince and arch devils however...

I may end up doing Lawful Node as part of my Zenthyri in the Fr article. The concept would fit in quite well
The Sage Posted - 23 May 2005 : 04:29:35
quote:

Id argue that the level of the Node should be based on the creature or event that created it
In retrospect, I'd probably assume the same. In fact, I like your ideas here. However, I'd still keep the higher class evil nodes down to a low number -- maybe two or three at the most.

quote:
The presence of an Demon prince/Arch Devi/Slaad Lord in an area might create a 4-5 level evil Node. There might be one beneath Eltabbar due to Eltabs presence.
I'd rather see a Slaad Lord create a chaos node, if they are ever detailed in some future product. Lawful or evil nodes would remain with demon prince and arch devils however...
Dargoth Posted - 23 May 2005 : 03:13:22
quote:

I'd prefer to see evil nodes in the Demonlands which have variable classes, rather than just some standard type. Maybe a few 1, 2, and 3 classes spread around... with one or two 4 or 5 class evil nodes concentrated in Narfell and the surrounding lands.

Id argue that the level of the Node should be based on the creature or event that created it

Kezef presence created a Level 7 Evil node near Waterdeep and Imagine a God (either by dying or spending alot of time in the place ie Moander under Yulash would create a level 6-7 Node.

The presence of regular Evil Outsiders over an extended period might create a level 3 node ie Hellsgate Keep

A level 2 node might appear where mortals have commited acts of Genocide ie Thosands of sentient beings dying outside of Battle

A level 1 node could be created by the long term presense of an evil Temple or site where sentient sacrifice took place on a regular basis over an extened period.
The Sage Posted - 23 May 2005 : 01:59:09
I'd prefer to see evil nodes in the Demonlands which have variable classes, rather than just some standard type. Maybe a few 1, 2, and 3 classes spread around... with one or two 4 or 5 class evil nodes concentrated in Narfell and the surrounding lands.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000