Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Horsebreeds of the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 03 May 2005 : 07:37:47
The original article is likely by Toby Mekelburg, and contains the following horse races of the Realms.
  • Andalurian
  • Akhal-Tara
  • Balserran
  • Cyaddar
  • Dales Pony
  • Duquala
  • Everlundian Ranger Horse
  • Fordskin
  • Fell Pony

Andaluarian
The Andaluarian comes from the realm of Impiltur, and is primarily used as a cavalry mount. The Andaluarian has a distinguished appearance, usually appearing in the colors white and light gray, and occasionally bay. It is a compact horse with excellent proportions, and usually stands at 15.2 hands. The mane and tail are abundant, and the breed has a flat or slightly convex nose, small ears, and its head is set on a substantial neck. The chest is quite massive and the quarters are lean. The Andaluarian is renowned for its ability to learn and its superb temperament. This particular breed was established in 1135 DR, during the early rise of the Impilturians and their battles against hobgoblins.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 16:14:59
Master Zeromaru X,

Very nice reference!

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Horse (The Devil You Know, p.329)(Whisper of Venom, p.23-4)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Guess we should update that list with the magically-breed Ishen-Charac, the Tymantheran warhorse of the dragonborn.

Zeromaru X Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 08:35:32
Guess we should update that list with the magically-breed Ishen-Charac, the Tymantheran warhorse of the dragonborn.
cpthero2 Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 04:00:21
Master Rupert,

Thank you greatly good sir.

I didn't realize that is what The Greet Seer had as a nickname, haha. That's great.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It's on the Candlekeep front page I believe.

Yup. Big Al put them up in March of last year.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 03:56:45
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Yup. Big Al put them up in March of last year.
cpthero2 Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 02:21:35
Mr. Costa,

You rock sir! Thank you very much!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

PM me and I can email you Bestiary 1 and 2. The horses, btw, ended up in Champions of Valor.

ericlboyd Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 01:34:34
TomCosta Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 01:34:33
PM me and I can email you Bestiary 1 and 2. The horses, btw, ended up in Champions of Valor.
cpthero2 Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 01:07:46
Master Rupert,

Do you happen to know of a link to that work that is active today?

Thank you!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

The Bestiary of the Realms does actually have some lovely horse information. You can get it off of Mr. Boyd's website. The information makes sense as far as I can tell.

Yay for ponies. The Cormyrian Destrier looks particularly nice. :)

-Blue

And, for a link:
The Realms Bestiary, Volume 1 by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa

cpthero2 Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 01:05:41
Great Reader Krashos,

I envy your having access to that list! I've heard that it is epic, but quite cumbersome.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

On the Realm-L mailing list.

Didn't Eric Boyd and Tom Costa do a bunch of horses in their recent FR monster anthology?

-- George Krashos

Thaingrim Posted - 20 May 2005 : 23:42:15
thx sage for the link to the article by EC
Thelonius Posted - 20 May 2005 : 22:49:27
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius Andrass

Cat Wyvernspur is one of the Alias vessels!!? Now i must go to sleep, mi head is starting to ache.

Yup. And there was another one, Jade More, in the same novel that introduced Cat: The Wyvern's Spur. I think the only other Alias vessel that was named was Zhara, from Song of the Saurials, though there are several other vessels mentioned throughout the series.

Well met

Aye, indeed there are Wooly, and an interesting subject it is too. Although mayhaps in another scroll if any wish to continue talk of Alias? For now, back to the horse breeds

ĦĦĦMein got now that's what I call a surprise!!!!

Sorry for that Alaundo but I wanted to be sure I got the idea.
Alaundo Posted - 20 May 2005 : 20:38:18
quote:

quote:

Cat Wyvernspur is one of the Alias vessels!!? Now i must go to sleep, mi head is starting to ache.

Yup. And there was another one, Jade More, in the same novel that introduced Cat: The Wyvern's Spur. I think the only other Alias vessel that was named was Zhara, from Song of the Saurials, though there are several other vessels mentioned throughout the series.

Well met

Aye, indeed there are Wooly, and an interesting subject it is too. Although mayhaps in another scroll if any wish to continue talk of Alias? For now, back to the horse breeds
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2005 : 20:27:36
quote:

Thelonius Posted - 20 May 2005 : 19:27:58
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2005 : 18:19:19
quote:

When I get home I'll see about posting a tentative list of what I've got so far....

Coo! Thank you!

quote:

BTW, if I had to go back I'd probably give the Alias vessel a +3 ECL -- bardic knowledge, region, skill, and feat bonuses counting as +1, misdirection as +.5 (since despite its power, you can't turn it off and has limited utility), and abilities as +1.5 (which are significantly better than the standard adventurer's array, but are less so when you consider most characters' abilities, powers, etc only really use 2 or 3 ability scores with any frequency). I didn't have a strong understanding of ECL back then when it first came out. That said, I could see arguing for even higher...

Yeah, I could see that. It is kinda powerful...
TomCosta Posted - 20 May 2005 : 17:46:38
When I get home I'll see about posting a tentative list of what I've got so far....

BTW, if I had to go back I'd probably give the Alias vessel a +3 ECL -- bardic knowledge, region, skill, and feat bonuses counting as +1, misdirection as +.5 (since despite its power, you can't turn it off and has limited utility), and abilities as +1.5 (which are significantly better than the standard adventurer's array, but are less so when you consider most characters' abilities, powers, etc only really use 2 or 3 ability scores with any frequency). I didn't have a strong understanding of ECL back then when it first came out. That said, I could see arguing for even higher...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2005 : 17:18:03
quote:

Thanks again for the compliments. (I had fun working up the Alias vessel, so I'm glad you've liked it too.)

It's a good template, and it tracks nicely with both the original published stats of Alias and the flavor in the novels.

So, about Volume 2... Can you give us a hint of what we can expect for it, critter-wise?
TomCosta Posted - 20 May 2005 : 15:51:41
Sorry to be late to the conversation.

Nice work Mumadar.

Regarding the horses in Bestiary of the Realms, thanks for the kind words. Most are unofficial and IIRC there is a reference to those that are official of which only the 4 from the Hordelands boxset were ever statted up, though a few, like the Dambrathan, were mentioned in official products.

Regarding Bestiary Vol. II, it's coming and will be 3.5E. Aiming for 101 monsters again, but will have far far fewer animals and more original monsters this time (20-25% I'm guessing). Happy to consider FR-related monster requests if you email me at THOMASC148@aol.com.

Thanks again for the compliments. (I had fun working up the Alias vessel, so I'm glad you've liked it too.)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 May 2005 : 05:56:20
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I still haven't had the opportunity to use any of the material as yet... .

As for the Alias vessel... What plans have you got for that?

I'm not sure yet... But I'm thinking of the Alias clone that's a Waterdhavian courtesan. I think what I'm going to do is make her the lady of one of the Lords in my Lords of Waterdeep project (the oft-mentioned project that's seen little real progress).
The Sage Posted - 18 May 2005 : 03:59:15
I still haven't had the opportunity to use any of the material as yet... .

As for the Alias vessel... What plans have you got for that?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 May 2005 : 17:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Now, here's hoping that we will see Volume 2 some day ...

Indeed. There's some really good stuff in the first volume... I've found use for the werecat (which has finally gotten into an official product), and I want to use the Alias Vessel template...
The Sage Posted - 17 May 2005 : 14:22:42
Now, here's hoping that we will see Volume 2 some day ...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 May 2005 : 11:39:05
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

The Bestiary of the Realms does actually have some lovely horse information. You can get it off of Mr. Boyd's website. The information makes sense as far as I can tell.

-Blue

And, for a link:
The Realms Bestiary, Volume 1 by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa
The Sage Posted - 17 May 2005 : 06:24:08
You're welcome Hoondatha .

As the Krash said in another scroll... "We aim to please" .
The Blue Sorceress Posted - 17 May 2005 : 06:12:19

-Blue
Hoondatha Posted - 17 May 2005 : 04:33:19
Thanks Sage, I was too tired to scour Shining South. I thought Demihumans of the Realms might have had a description of the horses in their Dambraii Runaway kit as the horses are so integral to the realm, but I was mistaken.
The Sage Posted - 17 May 2005 : 01:45:38
Because my curiosity demanded such attention, I scoured some of the older FR sourcebooks and found that the 2e Shining South tome has statistical information on the horses of Dambrath. It's what you're looking for Thaingrim.

They're detailed on pg. 41.
Hoondatha Posted - 17 May 2005 : 01:05:31
The one place that has a character kit for Dambrath says that they start the game with a light warhorse of maximum hit points, but no other information is given about them.
The Sage Posted - 16 May 2005 : 14:35:01
I believe they were called Dambrath horses. I don't recall any stats for them ever being published though.

This article by Elaine Cunningham further explores the relationship between the Crinti and the horses of Dambrath.
Thaingrim Posted - 16 May 2005 : 10:54:29
does anyone know what the name of the horses bred by the Crinti (sp?) would be?? and what the stats would be ( or where to find them)?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000