Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Nedeheim

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Senbar Flay Posted - 14 May 2005 : 02:36:54
Hello

I am just wondering if there is any detailed information on this realm becasue it is the only kingdom of giants I heard of besides Ostoria and it caught my attention .If there is none does anyone know of some fan created mterial.

Thanks
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 20:49:23
Learned Scribe Flay,

There is a reference from Candlekeep Compendium IX that briefly mentions "Felsaarlik" as a vassal realm of Nedeheim.

I believe that may be the only other reference. I couldn't find anything on Felsaarlik.

Anyone else know of Felsaarlik?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Hello

I am just wondering if there is any detailed information on this realm becasue it is the only kingdom of giants I heard of besides Ostoria and it caught my attention .If there is none does anyone know of some fan created mterial.

Thanks

Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2005 : 06:03:35
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Then I guess the giants of Nedeheim are just "down home" folks.

That is a horrible pun! I salute you for coming up with it!
Gray Richardson Posted - 16 May 2005 : 03:47:29
Then I guess the giants of Nedeheim are just "down home" folks.
George Krashos Posted - 15 May 2005 : 17:04:49
Nothing 'hidden' here; the name was created from the language list in the "Giantcraft" accessory (pgs.28-29) by Eric for DDGttU.

-- George Krashos
Beowulf Posted - 15 May 2005 : 15:41:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

[quote] I knew a biker-sort of rough-and-tumble guy who had "Balder" in Old Norse, tattooed on his forehead.

Having seen what both him and his fellows can do while "having fun"... I would certainly not see this individual as someone who represents both 'light' and 'joy'... .

Hehehe. Check out Saxo Grammaticus' History of the Danes (Gesta Danorum) which gives (probably) a more accurate picture of Balder as a mortal warrior-king, whom, like many another Germanic King, traced his lineage back to Odhinn, ie. was his son. In Saxo, HodhR is also a warrior-king, a rival. Both of their names mean "warrior", and philosophically their struggle can be interpretted as being between the competing forces of "heroic warfare" and "blind violence".

There are lots of very intelligent and well educatred folk in the world who are rediscovering the the religion that arose out of the free thoughts and beliefs of their Teutonic ancestors. A religion, yes, of war, but also of farming and hunting and family and poetry and song and arts and crafts and business and home-keeping, et al.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 May 2005 : 14:27:16
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Speaking of Heimdall (and not the loyal opposition group that helped Morgan Kell and Katrina Steiner )...
How did I know that YOU, of all the scribes here, were going to find some way to bring them into this discussion on Heimdall... .

Well, I'm not recalling any other scribes mentioning a knowledge of that system... So of course it would be me!

...And with that, mayhaps we should steer back to discussing Nedeheim?
khorne Posted - 15 May 2005 : 09:14:51
Some morons who think of themselves as nazis use things from norse mythology as symboles. Wasn`t it enough that Hitler corrupted an asian symbol(the svastika) into the most despised symbol in the world?
The Sage Posted - 15 May 2005 : 06:11:12
quote:

Speaking of Heimdall (and not the loyal opposition group that helped Morgan Kell and Katrina Steiner )...
How did I know that YOU, of all the scribes here, were going to find some way to bring them into this discussion on Heimdall... .

quote:
I once worked with a guy that had Heimdall tattooed on his shoulder. This gentleman wasn't the most scholarly sort, though -- he forgot Heimdall's name!
Strange... I knew a biker-sort of rough-and-tumble guy who had "Balder" in Old Norse, tattooed on his forehead.

Having seen what both him and his fellows can do while "having fun"... I would certainly not see this individual as someone who represents both 'light' and 'joy'... .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 May 2005 : 05:56:10
quote:

Scandinavian myths tell us of Heimdall who guarded the road to Asgard which is the "home" of the gods,

I never caught that one...

Speaking of Heimdall (and not the loyal opposition group that helped Morgan Kell and Katrina Steiner )... I once worked with a guy that had Heimdall tattooed on his shoulder. This gentleman wasn't the most scholarly sort, though -- he forgot Heimdall's name!
The Sage Posted - 15 May 2005 : 02:50:27
quote:

quote:

The root word "nede" means something like below or nether, if my somewhat vague knowledge of germanic languages doesn't fail me. Which leads me to believe that a loose translation of "Nedeheim" into English might be something like "land down under."

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if George knows more about this place than he lets on.

Doesn't "heim" mean "home"? That would make the name something more like Underhome.

Indeed it does. In fact, you'll find its base and its derivative throughout many of the northern European dialects. For most of the tongues, heim traditionally refers to "home", or a "homely" aspect.

Examples include: Heimatkunst ("homely art") in the Austrian, Scandinavian myths tell us of Heimdall who guarded the road to Asgard which is the "home" of the gods, and the Old Norse tale Heimskringla by Snorri Sturluson which tells of the history of Norwegian kings of the Homeland.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 May 2005 : 22:13:58
quote:

The root word "nede" means something like below or nether, if my somewhat vague knowledge of germanic languages doesn't fail me. Which leads me to believe that a loose translation of "Nedeheim" into English might be something like "land down under."

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if George knows more about this place than he lets on.

Doesn't "heim" mean "home"? That would make the name something more like Underhome.
Senbar Flay Posted - 14 May 2005 : 21:15:33
Nedeheim got it.

Thanks for the lore guys really appreciate it.
Gray Richardson Posted - 14 May 2005 : 20:54:05

George Krashos Posted - 14 May 2005 : 04:01:20
See Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, p.85 also re this stone giant kingdom. In 2E it was Cairnheim, it is now Nedeheim in 3E.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 14 May 2005 : 02:56:41
It is actually spelt Nedeheim .

The only reference to the realm that I can recall off hand at this time of the morning is that it was said to have been brought down by th armies of Old Shanatar. It was believed, that some of the clanholds of the realm managed to survive. I roughly recall details stating that this occured around the mid -5300's DR.

I think the Underdark tome has some details on Nedeheim also.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000