Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dryad anatomy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Denoples Posted - 11 Apr 2005 : 02:30:19
Ok first of all, I know all this isn't carved into stone.

I want some people's opinion on this, no matter if its what they think it is or think it should be.

Dryad skin, is it soft flesh like humans. Or hard bark-like skin? This is kind of the thing I wonder about, are they 'real' humans that are spiritually linked to tries. Or are they plantlike things that look like humans.

I seem to get the impression they are the first, like in greek myths. It wouldn't make alot of sense to have them be both a plant themselves and have trees absorb them.

But then how human are they? I know they look like elves, in D&D. Their skin is green then? Or brown?

The only thing I know for sure is that they have leaflike hair that matches the leaf colour of that season.

I do not own the 2ed AD&D manual. But it seems that they may have made changes. The picture of the Dryad in 3D looks more woody, If I remember correctly. And I remember the old one going into detail about their hair colour and I am sure other things I forgot.

Also, are they a little taller and less skinnier than elven females?

And what about their personality?

And suggestions?

[edit]

I found this site with the 2E entry from the MM: http://www.planetadnd.com/interactive_books/mm00083.php

She is even wearing clothing. I am sure I remember the 3E version has a very wooden, less humanlike version.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 22:23:35
Great Reader Irennan,

I do indeed! I love lore, especially canon lore, but I really do enjoy it when someone comes by with a nugget like that that I can toss into my campaigns and just have a little extra immersion in a small, but important way.

Nice!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Glad you like it!

Irennan Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 21:10:17
Glad you like it!
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 19:15:14
Great Reader Irennan,

That is a really great idea for development! Awesome!

I think I am going to steal that into my campaign! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I have dryads develop features and colors that change accordingly to their personality, experiences and values--stuff like petal-like eyelashes or hair, flowered vines growing out of their skin, "dresses" that grow out of their skin too, with texture, structure consistence reminding of a flower, etc...

The kind of flower and plant depends on how the dryad is and what she went through. For example, a happy, positve dryad will have warm, bright colors, and her flower will be something like a yellow carnation, and her "dress" will likely be frilly, like the flower's petals.

Irennan Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 15:16:09
I have dryads develop features and colors that change accordingly to their personality, experiences and values--stuff like petal-like eyelashes or hair, flowered vines growing out of their skin, "dresses" that grow out of their skin too (with texture, structure, and consistence reminding of a flower) etc...

The kind of flower and plant depends on how the dryad is and what she went through. For example, a happy, positve dryad will have warm, bright colors; her flower will be something like a yellow carnation, in which case her "dress" will likely be frilly, like the flower's petals.
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 06:39:17
Seeker Denoples,

Here is some more updated information for you.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dryad

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Denoples

Ok first of all, I know all this isn't carved into stone.

I want some people's opinion on this, no matter if its what they think it is or think it should be.

Dryad skin, is it soft flesh like humans. Or hard bark-like skin? This is kind of the thing I wonder about, are they 'real' humans that are spiritually linked to tries. Or are they plantlike things that look like humans.

I seem to get the impression they are the first, like in greek myths. It wouldn't make alot of sense to have them be both a plant themselves and have trees absorb them.

But then how human are they? I know they look like elves, in D&D. Their skin is green then? Or brown?

The only thing I know for sure is that they have leaflike hair that matches the leaf colour of that season.

I do not own the 2ed AD&D manual. But it seems that they may have made changes. The picture of the Dryad in 3D looks more woody, If I remember correctly. And I remember the old one going into detail about their hair colour and I am sure other things I forgot.

Also, are they a little taller and less skinnier than elven females?

And what about their personality?

And suggestions?

[edit]

I found this site with the 2E entry from the MM: http://www.planetadnd.com/interactive_books/mm00083.php

She is even wearing clothing. I am sure I remember the 3E version has a very wooden, less humanlike version.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Apr 2005 : 05:39:07
My point was that you implied that since they were the creation of the gods, then humans could not be animals. But if the gods did create animals, then humans could be animals -- just a different brand of animal.
Denoples Posted - 28 Apr 2005 : 03:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Then who created the animals, if not the gods?

Who said gods didn't create them.

The point is if gods created living creatures they didnt evolve. So humans have nothing to do with animals and animals have nothing to do with plants.

But this is where everything breaks down. In our world animals all have similar organs, similar molecules for doing similar things. They also share large amounts of DNA. Fungi and animals are related too. Their cells have alot of the same mechanisms. Then plants are in some way related, but less to animals and fungi. And humans are obviously animals.

Who knows how they relate to each other in a world where gods created everything. What does biochemisty look like in Faerun? How would a god go about to create a living organism. It won't because its impossible due to the complexity. So these are silly questions.

Kentinal Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 00:51:17
quote:

Hmm, I just noticed that Dryads don't get any powers like Control Plant, Grow Plant or other plant manipulation powers/spells/abilities from the MM.

"Spell-Like Abilities

At will— entangle (DC 13), speak with plants, tree shape; 3/day— charm person (DC 13), deep slumber (DC 15), tree stride; 1/day—suggestion (DC 15)"

Ok so not all of them but certainly have plant powers.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 00:12:44
quote:

Hehe...

Well, since humans where created by gods or creator races, which I am actually not sure about, they are not animals.

Then who created the animals, if not the gods?
Denoples Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 00:04:43
Hehe...

Well, since humans where created by gods or creator races, which I am actually not sure about, they are not animals.

Ok, we have some amateur lawyers in here I think :)

Jindael, thanks for your ideas. And of course everyone else too.

Hmm, I just noticed that Dryads don't get any powers like Control Plant, Grow Plant or other plant manipulation powers/spells/abilities from the MM.
Kentinal Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 15:17:09
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Humans can`t starve to death in FR? Okay this time WOTC has really done it

Nonlethal damage can not kill ;-)

"It is not “real” damage. Instead, when your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered, and when it exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious. It doesn’t matter whether the nonlethal damage equals or exceeds your current hit points because the nonlethal damage has gone up or because your current hit points have gone down."

I suspose there could have been a rule fix.

However this applies to all races and creatures.
khorne Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 14:56:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

What does:"strave to death", mean?

It means I some times have typos.

"starve to death"

Humans can`t starve to death in FR? Okay this time WOTC has really done it
Kentinal Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 11:32:18
quote:

It means I some times have typos.

"starve to death"
khorne Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 09:18:15
Kentinal Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 22:04:58
quote:
Humans aren`t animals in FR?

Well the argument can be made for this under core rules. Humans and other PCs and NPCs can not strave to death, they take subdual damage from lack of food and water. However to follow that to its conculsion animals in D&D are not animals either because the same rule applies to them. *wink*

As for a barklike skin for a Dryad there certainly are smooth and flexable bark that could come very close to the feel and purpose of skin.
khorne Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 21:00:49
quote:

Insects? I thought fairy wings are supernatural, not insectiod.

Of course I understand that they are mammal-like. But in the fantasy world humans aren't even mammals, because unlike the real world, humans aren't animals.

Humans aren`t animals in FR?
tauster Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 09:00:29
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

A dryad's personality probably stems from the environment it lives in. A peaceful forest is probably home to a Dryad that is naïve and innocent who takes simply joy from the world around her. One that lives at the edge of a foresting village or a goblin lair is probably cautious and a little hardened. The range of personality probably runs the full range of possibilities, taking into account, of course, that they are likely immortal (or at least as long lived as an oak), limited in their mobility and have nature as their primary concern.

...concerning a dryad´s personality and limited mobility: i found a wonderf(o)ul article about spelljamming dryads this week: http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0504c&L=spelljammer-l&P=441
Jindael Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 02:04:34
My Opinion:

Dryad's have human (or comparable species) soft skin most of the time. However, during a danger situation she manifests a bark like quality to her skin.

If you were to put this in game rules, I suppose that the dryad's natural armor bonus isn't there if she is flatfooted. However, she can manifest her barkskin as a free action and is considered a Supernatural ability. (This would affect a dryad's flatfooted armor class, making it 10, not 13.)

The reason I use this way of dealing with dryads is a matter of circumstance: For simple flavor in a game, I decided to add an NPC that had a dryad as a distant ancestor, which ended up giving her spring-leaf green hair. The players amusingly did some research on how to have a dryad in your ancestry. I had to come up with a way for a normal human to have relations with a dryad without…er, chafing.

As to how human a dryad is; as a fey with a humanoid shape, I assume she has the normal compliment of human bits. Skin color probably varies from green to brown, just like humans vary from white to black. Body shape, I would imagine, is elven, or at least lithe and slender. Around 5 feet seems to be the rule in previous editions. 3ed is, as normal, very vague as to size beyond "Medium".

A dryad's personality probably stems from the environment it lives in. A peaceful forest is probably home to a Dryad that is naïve and innocent who takes simply joy from the world around her. One that lives at the edge of a foresting village or a goblin lair is probably cautious and a little hardened. The range of personality probably runs the full range of possibilities, taking into account, of course, that they are likely immortal (or at least as long lived as an oak), limited in their mobility and have nature as their primary concern.
Denoples Posted - 15 Apr 2005 : 00:41:38
Insects? I thought fairy wings are supernatural, not insectiod.

Of course I understand that they are mammal-like. But in the fantasy world humans aren't even mammals, because unlike the real world, humans aren't animals.

Also, the fact that a creature is humanoid doesn't mean it has human-like or mammal-like anatomy.

I also wonder if all those humanoid creatures in D&D nurse their young.
Gray Richardson Posted - 12 Apr 2005 : 05:25:24
Ah but they don't have the "plant" type so we know they are not plants.

Fey probably combine aspects of mammalian and insectoid biology. Mammal just means the creature has breasts (for nursing the young). Most fey have breasts. A lot of fey also seem to have insectoid parts, like butterfly wings, antennae, green skin, or cricket legs like grigs.

I don't know if dryads have tree-like features because they have actual plant biology, or if they have insect-like biology that mimics plant features as camouflage. I would tend to believe their skin and hair are more biologically similar to insect skin, like that of the walking stick or preying mantis that mimics twigs, leaves and bark.

It's fantasy biology anyway--so thinking about it too scientifically will probably get me nowhere. But it's still fun to think about regardless.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Apr 2005 : 05:00:12
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

'Fey' are fairies. Fairies, in almost all contexts, and unlike ninja, aren't mammals. That would be strange.

Ninja?

Why can't they be mammals? They fit the bill... Just because real-world mammals aren't magical, I don't see why faeries can't be.
Faraer Posted - 12 Apr 2005 : 01:35:00
'Fey' are fairies. Fairies, in almost all contexts, and unlike ninja, aren't mammals. That would be strange.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Apr 2005 : 01:33:41
I don't think that the magical aspect of fey preclude their being mammals... They fit the definition as we in the real world define mammals.
Denoples Posted - 12 Apr 2005 : 01:06:10
I understand you say they are fey, but like you point out, does being a fey mean being a mamal also? I don't think so. Fey kind of points out their magical or supernatural nature. Their other part can be anything I guess.

But, is every nymph a fey too?

I know they aren't animated plants. But also notice this part: "Some legends claim that dryads are the animated souls of very old oak trees."

It seems Dryads became more plant like with 3E. That makes it a bit moge ambigious.

Gray Richardson Posted - 11 Apr 2005 : 04:23:14
Dryads are Fey, not plants, so although they may have plant like features they are made of flesh, not vegetable matter.

According to the SRD:
quote:
A dryad’s delicate features are much like a female elf ’s, though her flesh is like bark or fine wood, and her hair is like a canopy of leaves that changes color with the seasons.
So I would say they definitely have bark like skin. How soft it is is open for debate, maybe more durable and course than normal skin, but softer than say actual bark?

Fey are supernatural creatures that have strong ties to nature. Dryad biology probably mimics the features of plants, even though it is essentially mamalian. (Can fey be considered mamals?)

Such biological mimicry is not unknown in the animal world, for instance walking sticks, preying mantis and other insects exhibit remarkable camouflage that makes them appear like plants.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000