Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Neriandal Freit Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 01:28:39
Since I find Avatars just as appealing as the Gods that they serve, what novels are there that "showcase" Avatars?

Example: What Book does Mystra's Avatar appear a decent amount? (Again, example. Don't know if one exsists like that.)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gray Richardson Posted - 24 Apr 2005 : 07:33:17
Well, the whole list archive is searchable, if you go to that link and click on the magnifying glass icon it will let you search for terms. Try it and see if you can find the right post.
The Sage Posted - 24 Apr 2005 : 04:59:10
No, that's not the article I'm looking for, but it is interesting nonetheless. Thanks Gray .
Gray Richardson Posted - 23 Apr 2005 : 21:05:56
I found this version of the Lady's Avatar by searching the Planescape list. Try this link:
http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9911B&L=planescape-l&P=R10017&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=1
Kuje Posted - 23 Apr 2005 : 16:09:32
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, to keep this scroll on topic... I'm mainly asking this question to Kuje or Gray, but any other scribe is free to answer if they know what I'm looking for...

Anyway, do either of you remember reading something about that phirblas avatar of the LoP that was detailed on the PS Mailing Lists about 3 years ago? Do you possibly have the thread saved somewhere? As I recall, if was some unofficial material for a fan's non-canon PS campaign.

Can't say that I do. I never really read the Planescape mailing list, only FR's.
The Sage Posted - 23 Apr 2005 : 07:09:45
Actually, to keep this scroll on topic... I'm mainly asking this question to Kuje or Gray, but any other scribe is free to answer if they know what I'm looking for...

Anyway, do either of you remember reading something about that phirblas avatar of the LoP that was detailed on the PS Mailing Lists about 3 years ago? Do you possibly have the thread saved somewhere? As I recall, if was some unofficial material for a fan's non-canon PS campaign.
Darkheyr Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 20:49:26
I fail to see what could be considered beautiful about having spikes through your head...
Neriandal Freit Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 18:42:44
Now why would a beautiful woman with a name like that do such an act?
The Sage Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 15:47:34
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

I mean... One of my colleagues actually mentioned a "Lady of Pain" as if these were normal words like all others for crying out loud...
In character? If so, he'd better find a place to hide, or he's in for some flaying, or even a nice mazing.

Doom comes to those who utter the name of Her Serenity.
Darkheyr Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 07:56:41
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
That often seems to happen when discussing Miniature Giant Space Hamsters... I'll be dipped if I can figure out why.

Don't mention it. People just dont want to realize the truths of the multiverse. Hell, most won't even realize there IS a multiverse.

I mean... One of my colleagues actually mentioned a "Lady of Pain" as if these were normal words like all others for crying out loud...

Oh well. Off to buy me a new towel for the HgttG movie...
The Sage Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 05:38:41
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

But that really is the beauty of the Realms: there are so many tangents and directions you can go. I might not agree with all of them, but I certainly am glad that something is happening and the Realms continues to thrive. They'll always get my support and $$$. Even if they bring Slade back.

I couldn't agree more.

So long as this philosophy holds true for every single Realms product, novel, or otherwise... I'll continue to buy them. And so long as Ed of the Greenwood still has some outlet for his creative ideas, I'll be there, along with my ever-expanding black notebooks of useful Realmslore tidbits.
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 05:34:16
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
And there's a feat that goes along with this. :)

SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 05:33:16
quote:
I honestly don't know of *any* WotC hype surrounding Bane's return.

Consider yourself blessed them. Must be nice to live a charmed life.
Kuje Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 05:07:24
quote:
Originally posted by SomeDude

If I'm not mistaken, the Thunder Blessing is where you find the dwarven twins(with the feat), right?

Aye. :)
SomeDude Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 04:46:01
If I'm not mistaken, the Thunder Blessing is where you find the dwarven twins(with the feat), right?
Kuje Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 04:32:51
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

3. Don't know what the Thunder Blessing is, heard of it but don't know of it.

Moradin blessed the dwarves (but not the duergar) with the Thunder Blessing in 1306. Before then, the dwarves were in decline. After the Thunder Blessing, their birthrate has soared to about half that of a young, vigorous human realm.

And there's a feat that goes along with this. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 04:24:00
quote:

Moradin blessed the dwarves (but not the duergar) with the Thunder Blessing in 1306. Before then, the dwarves were in decline. After the Thunder Blessing, their birthrate has soared to about half that of a young, vigorous human realm.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 04:21:44
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I don't know that I'd call Bane's return a big theme... It got a blurb in one book, and not much beyond that.

You don't think it was hyped as a big theme of the new edition? If not, than our experiences with WOTC's promotions are vastly different.

I honestly don't know of *any* WotC hype surrounding Bane's return. I know they say he returned, and that's about all the info I've seen.
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 03:15:05
quote:
I don't know that I'd call Bane's return a big theme... It got a blurb in one book, and not much beyond that.

You don't think it was hyped as a big theme of the new edition? If not, than our experiences with WOTC's promotions are vastly different.
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 03:13:28
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
What we got was Royal Rumble XXIII with lots of flashy, whiz-bang battles and guest appearances from Chosen, dragons, Vaasan super-warriors

Yes, the Shades return was definitely made into an event which was no doubt brought about by the desire to draw attention the FR 3E. A more subtle approach would have been very interesting to see. Alas, subtle is not really a style that society these days notices.
George Krashos Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 02:52:00
Yeah, the "returning" theme does seem to have been a feature of 3E when you do a retrospective of products and events.

Some of the 'returns' were obviously Novel-driven (Shade), some were 3E mechanics-driven (Thunder Blessing) and others were simple design decisions for flavour or because they were considered to be a good creative decision.

Of all of them, the one that I had the most issue with was Shade. Not because I disliked the plot element, I just didn't like HOW it was done. I would have preferred that some survivors of Shade (20-50 individuals) returned to the Realms (maybe with the malaugrym in hot pursuit) and were more subtle re their plans and machinations for the events of the Return of the Archwizards novel trilogy. I would have liked the Shades to have a less obvious and overt profile in the Realms and to work (no pun intended) from the shadows ala the Twisted Rune.

What we got was Royal Rumble XXIII with lots of flashy, whiz-bang battles and guest appearances from Chosen, dragons, Vaasan super-warriors (that's one that is still lost on me - why the heck did they pick Vaasa??? Surely the barbarians of the Ride or the Tunlands with their Netherese heritage would have been easier to use, incorporate and add some flavor ...) et. al.

My FR experiences have shown that if you start something small, or use a low-key reference, then DMs always have the power and scope to expand the reference and make it big and "Realms shattering". How the heck does a DM truly use the Shades as a sinister, unknown manipulative entity after the events of the RotAW? I know it's do-able, but not with ease.

That's why I think Opus/Selunarra is a great plot development. If you want it in your campaign - it happens. If not, they stay in Selune's plane. Simple, neat and multi-functional. DMs also control how Opus enters their campaign, whether as a city to rival Shade or a couple of agents who work against them through intermediaries (like PCs) etc.

Of course, the above comments of mine have no real validity - it's just my take on a creative decision and how "I" would have done it. They are in no way intended to convey the impression that my ideas are better; they're just a viewpoint.

But that really is the beauty of the Realms: there are so many tangents and directions you can go. I might not agree with all of them, but I certainly am glad that something is happening and the Realms continues to thrive. They'll always get my support and $$$. Even if they bring Slade back.

-- George Krashos
Neriandal Freit Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 02:24:11
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by khorne
Maybe they will kill some god instead of bringing someone back...........

Let's see 2E...death of gods was big theme

Then 3E, Bane returning was a big theme

3.5E Did this not even warrant a god theme?

Appears if there is a pattern, you might be right, who will die this time?

I would, however, say that the theme of 3E is returns. Star elves, sarrukh, Shade, Deep Imaskari, Bane, the end of the elven Retreat, the Thunder Blessing... Possibly even the return of Selunarra, if they decide to play that card.

I can see much of that happening for several reasons.

1. They (Wizards) seemed to have been realsing new information as of late.

2. Corellon and Crew are on their boat, sailing back. Simple as that. And! Depending on how Ressurection ends, this might speed him (all in the sense)

4. Selunarra - This one has made people go gah-gah. People want to see a two great (Former) Netherese cities go at it. Mainly when it comes to Shar V. Selune again. Plus, it is almost time for Shar's power to start wanning (I believe Wanning, and not waxing for Selune will be doing that).

5. Deep Imask - Eh...I'm unsure. They've locked them selves up for so long, they see no rush.

The other ones I have no comment on.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 23:06:37
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

The Prophesies of Jindael, concerning the fate of the divine beings upon the undertaking of fourth edition.

Actually, I can see a lot of this happening...

quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

EDIT:

I suppose I should add that the demi human deities wont have some event that adds them; they will simply be added to the list of available deities, like they have always been there. There won't be something like:

*knock on the door*
*Correlon opens the door to see Alobal standing there.*
Correlon: Dude…you are…*looks at his watch* SERIOUSLY late.
Alobal: Eh, you lot were doing that "retreat" thing, and that didn't sound like fun. But now, since it's over, the party is here! *walks in, grabs some chips* So, where is this Shar chick I've heard about?
*record screeching, party stops*
Hanali: You mean Sharess.
Alobal: Yea. That. Anyone got her number? And isn't there another Shar person?
Hanali: There's Sharindlar.
Alobal: Sounds hot!
Hanali: She's a dwarf.
Alobal: I'd hit it.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 23:04:48
quote:

quote:

I would, however, say that the theme of 3E is returns. Star elves, sarrukh, Shade, Deep Imaskari, Bane, the end of the elven Retreat, the Thunder Blessing... Possibly even the return of Selunarra, if they decide to play that card.
Jindael Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 22:14:59
The Prophesies of Jindael, concerning the fate of the divine beings upon the undertaking of fourth edition.

Much of the Mulhorandi pantheon will be consumed by the larger, general population of Faerūn deities.

Anhur will be partially consumed by Torm (Torm the God, not Torm the sharp witted thief…althought THAT would be interesting, no?). Only partially; Talos will covet the Portfolio's of Thunder and Rain to add to his power, however, the nature deities will not be so quick to allow the Rain portfolio to fall into Talos's hands.

The worship of Geb will slowly move across the realms. However, since he is essentially a god of Miners and Smiths, the following will be small.

Hathor will be quietly absorbed into Selūne. Most people won't even notice.

Horus-Re will not be quietly consumed, and the rift between the followers of Horus-Re, Lathander and Siamorph will erupt into small pockets of violence. However, the end result will be that Lathander will agree to disagree, and Siamorph will be consumed by Horus-Re. This will cause a number of Waterdehavian nobles to affect some Mulhorandi fashions and attitudes. Not for religious reasons, but simply for the entertainment value.

At the urgings of Mystra, Isis will move into larger realms worship to use her portfolio of Good Magic to balance the effects of Velsharoon. (Since Mystra has to be neutral, and Azuth is neutral, there needs to be a good deity of magic.)

Nephthys and Waukeen will voluntarily merge, with no real distinction in their treatment of the clergy. Most people won't even realize that they are the same deity.

Osiris will maintain his own unique identity, gradually taking on the appearance in mortal eyes as a Thresher of the Undead, creating a cult of distinct flail wielding paladins who hunt the world of Faerūn for those who have cheated death of it's toll.

Sebek will be easily consumed by the already aggressive Tiamat in a brief struggle.

Set will not go quietly. He won't go at all. He already has power over portfolios that Shar, Bane and Cyric covet, including some that were also held by Myrkul and Bhaal, Portfolio's that will surely interest the above deities. (Talona would love to get her hands on some of this, but she won't make a play for it under Shar and Bane's watchful and jealous eyes.)

Thoth and Azuth will willingly merge. Their merging will be celebrated by the magical construction of a great center of learning for Art that will produce a number of highly talented, but very structured wizards and clerics. A side effect will be a larger distinction between Sorcerers and Wizards, causing some strife.

In a addition, I provide the following quote from Faiths and Pantheons.

quote:
Theologians predict it may be only a matter of decades before all human cultures of the continent venerate only the deities of the Faerūn pantheon, a fate the Mulhorandi and their deities view with great alarm.

/End Mulhorandi gods.

As far as the rest of the Faerūn pantheon…well, let me catch up on the current crop of novels before I start to spew about them.

The Demi human gods won't have that many changes:

The Seldarine will see the addition of Alobal Lorfiril, mostly because people will see the deity in Races of the Wild and add him in. Besides, an elven god of "Revelry, hedonism and excess of all kinds…" is something that will attract a lot of people. Elf fanboys tend to want the best of everything for elves and will gladly steal elf lore from everywhere. Trust me, I know this. *hugs his copy of The Complete Book of Elves

The halfling deities will see the addition of the Dark aspect of Yondalla, Dallah Thaun.

Other deities might show up from the other racial splat books as well.

But, for the most part, there won't be many changes in the non-human deities. There might be a movment to make the generic non-human deities more Realmsian by adding some history differences, but I don't see much in the way of drastic change from what is written now.

So sayeth I :p

EDIT:

I suppose I should add that the demi human deities wont have some event that adds them; they will simply be added to the list of available deities, like they have always been there. There won't be something like:

*knock on the door*
*Correlon opens the door to see Alobal standing there.*
Correlon: Dude…you are…*looks at his watch* SERIOUSLY late.
Alobal: Eh, you lot were doing that "retreat" thing, and that didn't sound like fun. But now, since it's over, the party is here! *walks in, grabs some chips* So, where is this Shar chick I've heard about?
*record screeching, party stops*
Hanali: You mean Sharess.
Alobal: Yea. That. Anyone got her number? And isn't there another Shar person?
Hanali: There's Sharindlar.
Alobal: Sounds hot!
Hanali: She's a dwarf.
Alobal: I'd hit it.
khorne Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 20:19:02
quote:

quote:

No idea whatsoever. I don`t even know all the gods on toril.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 20:17:04
quote:

khorne Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 19:50:35
quote:
As for 4E, I'm just curious which God/Goddess will be coming back from the dead when that edition is released.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 17:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Or maybe he merely labelled me as crazy and wanted to get some distance.

That often seems to happen when discussing Miniature Giant Space Hamsters... I'll be dipped if I can figure out why.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 17:43:29
quote:

...Then they really need to reform their 3E. Because it is pointless for a God to have a needed ability to manifest an avatar. It should esssentially come with the package In my opinion, unless your a Demi. Then that should essentially come down to that deities "level" and such. Nutty..

I agree. It should be a built-in function of being a deity.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Apr 2005 : 15:34:43
quote:
...Then they really need to reform their 3E. Because it is pointless for a God to have a needed ability to manifest an avatar. It should esssentially come with the package In my opinion, unless your a Demi. Then that should essentially come down to that deities "level" and such. Nutty..

I understand your frustration. And perhaps a future product will feature the update you want. As for 4E, I'm just curious which God/Goddess will be coming back from the dead when that edition is released.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000