Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Favorite created character

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rory_Lana Posted - 29 Sep 2002 : 23:04:59
I know like most of you I have had some character I took pride in creating, they ended up being great characters. So this you chance to brag...tell us what made them great. This can be an NPC as well...I know I have some fellow DM's out there who have made some really creative "bad guys" or fellow travelers.

Have fun, I know I can learn from you all. I'm really looking forward to hearing about you characters.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cards77 Posted - 27 Apr 2014 : 03:16:07
My first favorite was my first ever character: a 2nd edition "barbarian" named Lander. He had a 18/99 STR. He was a beast, know for his ability to kill with his bare hands and brute strength.

However my recent favorite character comes from the other recent scroll in this forum:
Full Name: Grinkle
Race: Hobgoblin
Homeland: Unknown, somewhere near Yartar possibly.
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair: Dark brown
Eyes: Yellow
Skin: Reddish-Orange
Class: Rogue 5
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (with leanings towards Chaotic Good)
Stats: STR 17, DEX 21, CON 16, INT 16, WIS 15, CHA 13

Personality: A gentle hobgoblin. Quiet and intelligent. Not quick to violence but when forced into a corner very few humanoids would stand toe to toe against him. Grinkle has some interesting idiosyncrasies that the humans, half-elves, and others around him find extremely unsettilng. He STILL has no concept of keys, though he's quite fond of locks, and picks locks rather than using keys, even if he has one. The fact that a lock can be opened so easily with only one certain piece of metal is an idea totally foreign to him.

He also has the unsettling habit of eating everything with his hands, bones and all.

He does not like the concept of inns. He feels trapped and if forced to stay in one he will push the furniture against the door and sleep in the corner of his room.

He smells HORRIBLE as he does not bathe. His hair is dreadlocked and waxy from being unwashed. He believes that this makes him harder to see, and he refuses to wash his armor for this reason. In fact he often smears wet ashes or mud on his armor to black out any areas that could glint off the sun.

He's extremely hardy, often traveling many miles with little to eat or drink. He often chews flayleaf when he's forced to sleep during the night, as he's primarily nocturnal in nature.

He refers to ALL magic as "elf magic", which he fears and holds in great awe.

He refers to all of elven blood as "elveses". He does not trust eleves, though he will tolerate them, because they are generally thoughtful and intelligent.

He does NOT like "Dwarveses" finding them smelly, loud and rude.

He views Halflings as a potential food source.

He has no experience with gnomes, assuming them to be bald wrinkly halfings of some kind.

He once found a wand of wonder, which he kept for a time calling it his "magic stick". He used it to save one of his adventuring companions from a deep bat that was about to kill her. He blasted the bat with a massive lightning bolt from the wand and then would never touch the wand again after that.

Likes: Finding "shineys" (gold), exploring, finding secret places, guiding those in need to safety, anything that aligns with Shaundakul's portfolio.

Dislikes: Oppressors of the weak, slavers, elven magic.

Backstory: Grinkle was born into a tribe of hobgoblins somewhere South East of Yartar in 1350 DR. He does not know this.

Grinkle was a runt of his tribe, and barely survived. He was mostly kept as a slave, forced to clean, cook and do other tasks for the tribe. The tribe eventually occupied an abandoned border keep. Little did they know that one of my old PCs (Kenrick the Younger) had just inherited the deed for the place, from his deceased uncle in Waterdeep. Kenrick the Younger proceeded to lead a group of adventurers to the keep and liberate it from the hobgoblin tribe. After slaughtering the hobgoblins, he found Grinkle who had locked himself in a secret room. Kenrick couldn't bring himself to kill such a pathetic creature only 12 years old. He could see the scars all over Grinkle's body where he'd been beaten and whipped. Despite Grinkles mistreatment he did not lash out when Kenrick found him, and Kenrick could tell he did not have the hard look of a typical hobgoblin.

Kenrick took him in, taught him to read, write and speak Common. He found Grinkle to be remarkably intelligent, and when fed a diet appropriate for a growing hobgoblin, Grinkle grew to fill his frame with muscle, and was somehow blessed with a remarkable athleticism, along with inheriting the natural toughness of hobs. Together they traveled the Silver Marches adventuring during the field season and trapping during the winter. Kenrick trained Grinkle as a top-notch scout (wilderness rogue), and taught him his signature fighting style (dual short swords).

Grinkle served the newly emancipated Keep as it's chief scout and patrol leader. Grinkle would often patrol the areas around the keep for weeks at a time, surviving on very little.

As a hob among the humans of the keep, Grinkle was a loner with few friends. A mercenary named Farl eventually befriended Grinkle. Farl a former knight had a serious drinking problem. While in a drunken stupor one night Farl beat a man in the keep so severely that he died from his injuries. Rather than face murder charges at the Keep, Farl left almost immediately for the road. Grinkle had grown somewhat bored at the keep and had seen the rangers and clerics of Shaundakul stop at the keep, guiding folk through. He decided to go after Farl, to keep him safe, and find adventure along the way.

They traveled north toward Silverymoon, as Farl fled his inner demons and descended further into alcoholism. They stayed off the main roads and skirted the hills whenever possible to avoid potential pursuit from the keep.

They had several adventures together, including killing a young black dragon. Grinkle often went off by himself into the High Forest to explore. He discovered a previously unknown ruined city from the ancient kingdom of Earlann. He spent several months exploring the underground complexes. After several trips, he became a follower of Shaundakul and worked with that deities clerics to defeat a lich residing in the ruins, and to secure and investigate a series of portals found within the underground ruins.
Cbad285 Posted - 10 Apr 2014 : 08:32:56
I'm pretty fond of my ranger, Victus Carrington. Not gonna go into stats, hes in the heros lore if yer game ever nears the spiderhaunt woods an you care to use him to whatever ends.

Victus started out as a guard in Daggerdale after the Freedom Riders took it back from the zhents. I played him through a few skirmishes until he was made a ranger for the Dale and was sent out to investigate movement by hillsfar in the north. I took it upon myself to kill some troops attempting to gain info on why they were so close to the Dales but ended up being captured and sold into slavery as a gladiator. We played a large piece of his time through the gladiator games which made him into a real mean guy, having to kill friends he'd made to survive. Eventually he escaped when he was almost killed and was buried in a shallow grave outside the city walls. After that I took up with some mercenaries and struck out at Hillsfar patrols on the road towards Daggerdale. After a time Victus returned to Daggerdale and retired from it's service which is where I leave him for community use. In our house campaign he later married Randle Mourn's daughter and became lord of daggerdale for a time. But he could never get used to living in the city and eventually went on to kill Zastam *name spelling?* after the necromancer destroyed Scardale. The battle cost Victus his life but he did kill Zastam. By that point I had duel classed from a Ranger into a Forest Ranger. I know it's a prestige class but we wanted to play out the change through XP. After that we had a character give up his elven soul to restore Victus to life (He had been refusing to pass on from the grey waste and was on the verge of joining the wall). Today Victus is about 50 some-odd years old and duel classed agian into a priest of Torm. He sails on a Junker somewhere in the dragon sea with a group of calishite pirates called the Ahadar. Effectively he is a 10th level Ranger, 13th level Forest Ranger, 5th level Priest of Torm. His faith always came into question via his ranger spells but we just explained that by creating a love affair between Torm and Melekki.

I could go on for days about Victus, but by far he is my favorite character, and I've had some good ones in my day.

Currently I'm playing Victus's son, Turel. Turel just recently learned who is father was and is also a pirate in the dragon sea with his own fleet of ships. So as of last game he is hunting the junker down in hopes to shed light on why he was sent to Westgate under the name Pearlmade and left to be raised by a whore and her band of thieves...
dahksinol Posted - 09 Apr 2014 : 04:00:43
My favorite character would have been my Dragonborn Paladin Thrask wielder/best friend of Thomas 'Tom' Thompson, a Shardmind Warlock who uses his ability to change shape into a crystalline great sword. Much fun was had when we were all disarmed by a band of hobgoblins in what I think was our fifth campaign. Tom transformed into a spear while the Hobgoblin warlord was in mid-speech and, without hesitation, Thrask threw the shardmind-turned spear straight at the hobgoblin (a natural twenty). The narration went something along the lines of the hobgoblin warlord exploding in a messy soup of blood and gore as the eldritch powered spear came in contract with his flesh. With the warband in disarray, Thrask then used his draconic breath and incinerated half of the stunned and shocked hobgoblins while our rogue and fighter were busy using their binds as garrotes. Thirteen hobgoblins were dead by the fourth round as soon as Thrask had gotten hold of the nearest falchion and the fighter a sword and shield.
hashimashadoo Posted - 10 Dec 2013 : 16:12:38
Amra Laelithar
Sun Elf
Wizard 6/Ruathar 3
fiery blonde hair cut cheek length on the right side but hip length on the left
piercing green eyes
5'1"
88 lbs (very slight, even for an elf)

Born into a poor but magically gifted elven family in Silverymoon. Her father Saevel (another one of my PCs) was absent for the majority of her life, being an adventurer working in and around Waterdeep. Amra fell in with a bad crowd in her formative years and became a member of a group of youths who fancied themselves as the local thieves guild. Poor close-up eyesight inherited from her father precluded her from the standard lockpicking and pickpocketing activities of her peers, though surprsingly she had a knack for clockwork. Apprenticed to a furrier, by day this was her cover for her more larcenous activities by night. As the brains of the outfit, she also acted as a lookout and distraction for her friends and they made several petty thefts in the city, but a stolen necklace she didn't want to fence was noticed by the owner and she had to make herself scarce.

Having failed to complete her apprenticeship, she had to live by her impressive wits when she couldn't find respectable work and passed her time training stray dogs, sneaking back to the city to see her family whenever she felt she could. While flitting from villages to small towns, she encountered a group of usurers who were using trickery rather than honest theft to fleece poor elven families similar to hers out of what little coin they had. She joined with a group of irate townsfolk and played a key role in planning the attack that drove away the usurers but took an arrow in the belly during the fighting.

She was healed by a sage living in that town and while convalescing, impressed him with her grasp of history and magic. The sage, who was also a minor wizard, took her on as an apprentice and she proved to be a quick study, devouring all the arcane lore he had as well as most of his more mundane texts. With nothing more to teach her, they bade each other farewell and Amra resolved to travel to Waterdeep to find her absentee father who, according to her mother, was also a knowledgeable wizard. On the way though, Amra was caught up in her first adventure which involved a trek into the Underdark to rescue a girl for her fiancee...

Personality
Amra isn't particularly friendly to those she doesn't already know, meaning that she has few people she can call 'friend'. Most of those whom she can live back in Luruar and she has yet to make any real connections to her adventuring party. They all respect her for her arcane abilities (and the fact that she has saved the lives of each and every one of them at least once) but she doesn't feel a connection with any of them. She gets on best with Tankrin, the other elf woman in the party, but suspects that the ranger has ties to the Eldreth Veluuthra which, having grown up in Silverymoon, does not sit well with her. Matters were further complicated when the other wizard in the party, who shared her larcenous past, absconded with a portion of the party's treasure.

She has a love of gems and jewellery, especially a set of diamonds that she seems incapable of being parted from (unbeknownst to her, this is a magical compulsion that has yet to be explored) and is viewed occasionally as greedy by her fellows.
Diffan Posted - 05 Dec 2013 : 21:05:16
This is probably my all-time favorite character that was created back in the AD&D 2e days and later updated to each iteration of D&D (3.5, Pathfinder, 4e, and now D&D:Next). The stats I have on hand are that of v3.5 but you get the gist of what he's all about.

SIR MARCUS, SOLDIER-AT-ARMS; CR 12
Male human paladin 12 of Torm
LG medium humanoid (human)
Init +1; Senses Listen +2, Spot +2
Aura courage (10 ft. allies +4 against fear)
Languages Common, Elven
=====================================================================
AC 25, touch 13, flat-footed 24
(+10 armor, +3 shield, +1 Dex, +1 deflection)
hp 115 (12 HD)
Immune disease, fear
Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +15
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares) in +2 full plate of calling; base 30 ft.
Melee +1 holy valorous longsword +20/+15/+10 (1d8+10/19-20 plus 2d6 against evil) or
Melee mwk silver maul +19/+14/+9 (1d10+8/x3)
Ranged +2 composite shortbow [Str +4] +15/+10/+5 (1d6+6/x3)
Base Atk +12; Grp +18
Atk Options Power Attack, smite evil 3/day (+7 attack, +12 damage or +36 when charging)
Special Actions lay on hands 84 points/day, turn undead 10/day (+9, 2d6+16; 9th)
Combat Gear wand of cure moderate wounds (40 charges; CL 5th), 4 flasks of holy water
Paladin Spell Prepared (CL 6th):
3rd—diamond steel, find the gap, righteous fury
2nd—knight’s move, remove paralysis, strength of stone
1st—divine sacrifice, lesser restoration, rhino’s rush
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th):
At will—detect evil
3/week—remove curse
Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 25
SQ moderate aura of good
Feats Awesome Smite, Battle Blessing, Combat Brute, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (longsword)
Skills Concentration +5, Diplomacy +12*, Handle Animal +10, Heal +7, Jump +6, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (nobility/royalty) +2, Knowledge (religion) +5, Profession (cook) +2, Ride +5, Sense Motive +8
Possessions combat gear plus +2 full plate of calling, angel-helm, +1 animated heavy steel shield, Trueheart (+1 holy valorous longsword), +2 composite shortbow [Str +4], amulet of health +2, belt of Strength +4, cloak of Charisma +4, ring of protection +1, vest of resistance +2, adventuring kit, quiver with 20 arrows, silver holy symbol (Torm), 140 pp, 100 gp, 40 sp.
Aura of Courage (Su): Immune to fear, and each ally within 10 feet of Sir Marcus gains a +4 moral bonus on saving throws against fear effects. PH 44
Aura of Good (Su): The power of Sir Marcus’s aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to his paladin level, just like the aura of a cleric of a good deity. PH 44
Charging Smite (Ex): When using the charging action and smiting, Sir Marcus can triple the smiting damage. If he misses on the attack, the attempt isn’t considered used for the day. PH2 53
Detect Evil (Sp): Detect evil at will, as the spell. PH 44
Discerning Insight (Ex): Sir Marcus can recognize when a person is trustworthy or not. He gains a +3 bonus on Sense Motive checks when trying to get a "hunch" about the subject's personality after a 1-minute conversation. Web Enhancement:“Dead Levels” WotC website.
Divine Grace (Ex): Sir Marcus adds his Charisma modifier, if any, to his saving throws. PH 44
Divine Health (Ex): Immunity to disease. PH 44
Remove Curse (Sp): Remove curse 3/week, as the spell. Sir Marcus may use up two remove curse attempts to produce a break enchantment effect as the spell. CM 33
Smite Evil (Su): Three times per day, Sir Marcus can attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. He adds +7 to his attack roll and deals an extra 12 points of damage. PH 44
Skills: Sir Marcus has a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks when enforcing the law.

Sources Used: PH (player's handbook), PH2 (player's handbook 2), CM (complete mage), CC (complete champion), SC (spell compendium)

Combat/Tactics: Sir Marcus always starts combat by casting find the gap followed by moving into position for a charge attack and then using Battle Blessing to cast righteous fury. On the next round, he casts rhino’s rush and charges his opponent using Power Attack to its fullest effect, and smites. This usually brings down most opponents, but if the creature in question is more resistant, the next round he’ll follow up with casting divine sacrifice and make a full attack afterwards until his enemy is defeated. Often he does this routine mounted.

Friends/Allies: Most notably, Sir Marcus has many friends among the clergy of the Triad and those who worship Torm including Hykros Allumen (high priest of the Halls of Justice in Waterdeep and Sir Gareth Cormaeril (exchequer of the Knights of Samular). In addition, he’s made fast friends among the Harpells of Silverymoon and been known to teach military tactics at the Citadel of Strategic Militancy, the stronghold for the Order of the Red Falcons.

Foes/Enemies: This list is longer than Sir Marcus would like to count, but they include the church of Bane, Shar, Cyric, Velsharoon, and Malar. In addition, the Cult of the Dragon and Zhentarim consider him a great foe and will pay handsomely for his head. In particular, he’s caused the warriors and raiders of Darkhold great discomfort and fear as he often spoils their plots for highway robbery and attacks on the small settlements around that keep.

Appearance: Though Sir Marcus has seen the better part of thirty winters, he still fights as if he’s in the prime of his life. His hair is blond yet a small amount of gray is starting to creep in at the sides and his goatee is a mix of the two. He’s a staggering six and a half feet tall and when astride his mount, he seems a mountain of a man. Because he still wonders and adventures throughout Amn, Tethyr, Silverymoon, and the Western Heartlands, he’s been able to keep fit and remain healthy.

Personality: Either at court or in a tavern, Sir Marcus is always respectful to all he meets, even ruffians who think him an easy target. He also shows the utmost courtesy to women, be they fair maidens or courtesans. He styles himself as a helpless romantic and usually acts accordingly. When on the battlefield he gives command with the authority of one who’s seen it all and always leads from the front, as a true paladin should.

History: Sir Marcus has always had the best opportunities as he was the single child of a wealthy lord in Tethyr. From early childhood, he has been fascinated with knights and their seemingly endless devotion to the causes of good. It was at the age of eight, that he had decided that he would pursue the mantle of paladin.

As he grew of age, he was granted entry into the Hall of Justice in Waterdeep to being a squire to a paladin of Tyr named Sir Caleb Dundragon. Sir Caleb showed him all he could about the responsibilities of knighthood and the sacrifices he would have to make to become a paladin and stay on that path. Marcus absorbed every word and to this day keeps those lessons close to heart.

A year before he was to take his knight’s trials and gain entry to paladin-aspirant, he and his lord Sir Caleb were beset by ravaging pack of ghouls led by a sinister vampire that had been terrorizing the region west of Cormyr. The battle was one of great proportions as Marcus fought off the ghouls while Sir Caleb confronted the vampire. Marcus handled himself well, turning some of the ghouls while hacking down the others. Sir Caleb however, met his end that day against the vampire. As Marcus turned, the vampire dropped Sir Caleb’s lifeless corpse to the ground and laughed as Marcus brought up his sword for his attack. That laugh suddenly stopped as Marcus charged, and with him he brought the full power of his deity’s wrath. With one single swing, Marcus ended the vampire’s un-life as its head dropped to the ground.

From that moment on, Marcus knew he was granted his calling. Soon he was awarded his knighthood and rose fast among the other paladin-aspirant in the Halls of Justice’s history to become a full-fledged paladin the following year. From there, he would do great and heroic deeds for the hope that people would follow his lead.

Motivation/Goals: Currently, he’s serving as liaison between Amn and the elves of the Shilmista forest with the hopes of bringing the two communities together for the benefit of all. He’s also accepted (for brief periods) among the elves of Evereska for his one man crusade against Darkhold and for his valor against the Pharimm that still stalk the area. His goal is the ever-pursuit and prevailing of justice throughout the land and the elimination of evil from the face of Faerûn.
Alruane Posted - 04 Dec 2013 : 01:01:58
This one seems to have MANY similarities to our beloved Elminster. Very interesting facts and points about this character,
The Arcanamach Posted - 04 Dec 2013 : 00:56:06
My favorite NPC is Xarthalion (aka The Arcanamach). He's an enormously powerful wizard (basically my homebrew Elminster, though his story is quite convoluted). Without going into all of his 'history' (much of which is left undetailed on purpose so that I can add to it when needed) I will tell the following:

1. He is actually an amalgamation of 3 people. A human male from Waterdeep, a star elven male from Myth Drannor (I will explain this in a bit), and 'half-elven' female spirit (note the quotes are there for a reason). The human was orphaned and raised by Durnan and went down the well at the Yawning Portal and eventually ended up in the Ruins of Myth Drannor. The star elf was a member of the Llundlar clan. In my world, the Llundlar's were a star elven clan that used to magic to appear as gold elves (star elves in my world exist in several places with a very secret mission). That young star elf got into a bit of trouble during the Weeping War and was trapped in stasis in the crypts of his home until the magic faltered and he was freed...upon which he went to the surface. The young 'half-elven' spirit was truly part fey but was a child of Lady Polaris and appeared to be a half-elf. She died during Karsus' Folly and her spirit wandered into Myth Drannor centuries later. The 3 ended up in the same place during a wild magic surge and their bodies/spirits merged into one being.

2. The new person took on the name Xarthalion (an amalgamation of their names) and became an adventurer who gained much wealth and power. He is is basically a N 1/2em Wiz but has tendencies toward both law and good. His elven heritage allows him to use elven magic without penalty as well.

3. During his many travels he came across the Orb of Labelas. It looks like a Bajoran Orb from Deep Space Nine and is a greater artifact. It has many powers but, for the most part, he cannot control them. He is 'connected' to the Orb and he is randomly transported backwards, forwards, and even sideways through Time. In my homebrew, the Arcanamach is a mysterious wizard who appears throughout history and does things, both great and small, and then vanishes (think Quantum Leap here).

4. He is both an ancestor and a descendant of many powerful individuals in the Realms, including Chosen and some Magisters. Also, he is one of MYTRYL'S Chosen (he is, in fact, Nether...the individual who 'discovered' the Nether Scrolls). He is also in league with the Terraseer.

5. He is powerful enough to challenge minor and lesser deities (although victory against a lesser deity is by no means assured...I really despise deicide and the idea of mortals killing deities without artifact(s) and divine support). The point is, for my homebrew he is the 'top dog' (more or less) of wizards in the world.

6. He lives in a very special place located in the Star Mounts (not gonna give info here other than to say think of Castle Greyskull for some idea of the location's power).

7. His biological age is over 2000 years, but his historical impact spans about 12,000 years due to his timejumping.

8. Unbeknownst to historians, Karsus was actually the 2nd person to create a 12th-level spell. Xarth created a personal mantle spell of 12-level in power that fundamentally altered his being in the process of casting it (he is a living, and very mobile, mantle).

9. Anyway, no other players have ever knowingly encountered him as he always appears in disguise. That merchant that you asked directions from? Might have been him. That pretty lass you got lucky with in the tavern last night? Might have been him. The guy that jumped in, stopped you from slaying the villain, then mysteriously disappeared? Might have been him. That random healing effect that took place from some unknown source? Might have been him. You get the point.
Alruane Posted - 25 Nov 2013 : 10:23:04
My human paladin, low level, died early. But he was my first ever character so, he was memorable. :3
branmakmuffin Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 16:43:51
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

I seem to be jumping into this rather late.

My favorite is my legitimately-rolled-up-played-up-in-levels-accordong-to-the-rules 1st edition bard. He was a Half-Elf named Redmond. He had psionics, too, but they were hokily acquired due to the DM's misunderstanding of how a magical tome worked.

He was a 2nd level Bard when I quit playing so I didn't get to to play him much as a Bard. I like him so much, he has an incarnation in every game I GM, no matter the genere, no matter the rules system.

That's pretty impressive Bran. I know those rules. 1st Ed Bards are probably the hardest PC's to make, mainly because it takes so damn looong to get them to the Bard class. I'd like to read about his adventures to get there if you have any.

None of his adventuring was in FR. It was all in the DM's own world and in Krynn (thanks to a magical portal).
Yasraena Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 10:10:17
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

My favorite is my legitimately-rolled-up-played-up-in-levels-accordong-to-the-rules 1st edition bard. He was a Half-Elf named Redmond. He had psionics, too, but they were hokily acquired due to the DM's misunderstanding of how a magical tome worked.

He was a 2nd level Bard when I quit playing so I didn't get to to play him much as a Bard. I like him so much, he has an incarnation in every game I GM, no matter the genere, no matter the rules system.

That's pretty impressive Bran. I know those rules. 1st Ed Bards are probably the hardest PC's to make, mainly because it takes so damn looong to get them to the Bard class. I'd like to read about his adventures to get there if you have any.
branmakmuffin Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 07:47:24

Targon Moonrise Posted - 01 Apr 2003 : 00:47:20
I know little about halflings but yours sounds kinda cool. A captain of his own ship, nice and I like the name of his ship.
Sarta Posted - 31 Mar 2003 : 10:23:24
Captain Leonard "Lenny" Rumblebelly, privateer of Cormyr. This was a second edition character that wound up late in his career only being played at conventions once I stopped playing and began running games nearly full time.

He was a halfling fighter swashbuckler who sailed the Sea of Fallen Stars for fun and profit aboard his galleon, "Bess". When on land he was often seen causing trouble in and around Arabel, organising halfling chariot races, and occasionally helping out harper friends.

He was a bit on the short side for a halfling and definitely a bit plumper than normal, but was still very quick and agile. He tended to dress in black silks, cape, and plumed hat and would happily duel any who made disparaging remarks about his mode of dress. Of the many battles he fought and won in, the tale that is still told to this day was the boxing match he had with the rather formidable leader of a group of fire giant bandits.

Sarta
zemd Posted - 29 Mar 2003 : 18:08:27
Once i had a fighter (male ). He died trying to rescue a child from a tavern who was crumbling... We both died
Baron Sengir Posted - 26 Mar 2003 : 14:12:36
Well ý had a centaur fighter in Dragonlance(2nd ed.)named Maverick.I really enjoyed creating and also playing it.He was extremely powerful due to Dragonlance norms but not so clever He died in the second lancewar while trying to rescue 3 children who were about to die under the callopsed walls of a castle.Thats another story
Yasraena Posted - 22 Mar 2003 : 06:35:07
quote:
Originally posted by Targon Moonrise

Your character sounds awesome! If I had to have a Drow at my back, Yasreana would most likely be my choice.

Thanks for the compliment! It's nice to know that all those years of fighting evil paid off.
Targon Moonrise Posted - 22 Mar 2003 : 05:40:15
Your character sounds awesome! If I had to have a Drow at my back, Yasreana would most likely be my choice.
Yasraena Posted - 22 Mar 2003 : 05:29:49
My favorite character by far is Yasraena T'Sarran, a female drow fighter/mage. I originally created this PC about ten years ago using ICE's Rolemaster system (don't be upset Alaundo!) and converted her over to 2nd Ed. about 3 years ago (because my DM let me ) She has been through so many adventures that I think I'd take up a whole page with them. If interested you can read The Story Of Yasraena T'Sarran.
But, for brevity's sake, here's a brief description:

Yasraena is an atypical looking Drow Elf. She is very beautiful, but very athletic looking as well. She has silver white hair which is normally worn long with a topknot. She wears black leggings and tunic under her armor, but will wear very feminine, flowing dresses and gowns when not expecting battle. She wears a symbol of Ellistraee made of mithril around her neck and also wears a silver Harper pin on her tunic.
Yasraena is good to the core. She abhors cruelty and meaness above all things, and will strike out at anyone doing these things with swift and devastating violence, even if it means putting herself in immediate danger. She venerates the goddess Ellistraee, and tries to live her life to the godesses beliefs by encouraging laughter and goodwill to (almost) anyone she meets. Even some of the most Drow fearing and hating people she meets usually cannot stay that way when faced with her infectious and unswerving smile and optimism. She is also a realist, however, and to that end realizes that sometimes, the ends DO justify the means. She values friendship and loyalty above all things, and will fight to the last if her friends lives depend on it. She is also a compulsively honest person, sometimes to her detriment. There has been many times when her inability to tell even a 'little white lie' has gotten her into some sticky situations.

I am most proud of the fact that she has survived in numerous campaigns over these last ten years and has just recently been appointed a Harper by none other than Alustriel herself. If she ever meets her doom, it will be a very sad day for me indeed.
Drummer Boy Posted - 22 Mar 2003 : 04:06:14
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

<snipped>

Artalis, Drummerboy, there is a shelf in the library here which contains scrolls upon scrolls with characters and their descriptions. You could contact Alaundo or Tethoril to see if yours can be added to that...

Well done!

<goes off to calculate some bonus xp...>

Perhaps I will contact Alaundo to have Aragrym's description penned on a scroll to be stored in the great library of Candlekeep...
zemd Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 20:00:27
And a good background can be used by the DM (I love when a character has a lover or/and family )
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 19:49:42
Yessir, Mr. Mumadar, Sir!
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 19:26:46
Yes I do. Not only does it give the player a better feel for the character, it also allows the DM to draw upon that background and weave it into the campaign. That gives more solidity to the story as well as make the player/character feel more involved. As such the background for me is part of the role-playing and will be rewarded.

When you're done writing the scroll, let me have a look at it. No promises, but one never knows...
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 19:03:03
You give extra experience points for good backgrounds in your PbeMs?

[Bookwyrm hurriedly unrolles a fresh scroll to pen a good background, just in case he actually manages to get in one of Mumadar's games. ]
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 12:40:56
Hehehe... for me as the DM this is actually the first time that I have read the histories in their complete form so close together, and I agree, they do make a very nice complementary story.

Artalis, Drummerboy, there is a shelf in the library here which contains scrolls upon scrolls with characters and their descriptions. You could contact Alaundo or Tethoril to see if yours can be added to that...

Well done!

<goes off to calculate some bonus xp...>
Drummer Boy Posted - 16 Mar 2003 : 18:15:59
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

quote:
Originally posted by Drummer Boy

quote:

I loved that profile. You could be a storyteller. I could see every detail the whole way through.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for all of it. Like I said, Artalis did a lot of the work in brainstorming ideas for our characters, since we were working together on making our characters.

Thanks for the tip of the hat sir. I see you have fleshed out the history a bit, and nicely done indeed. For comparison I should post Tarim's profile here so everyone can see how the two histories are intertwined. I personally was very happy to work with you on the two characters and I think that what we came up with together is better by far than anything either one of us could have accomplished. Again, Drummerboy the Learned Scribe, Well Done.

<snipped>

Yes, I agree. Our two character histories compliment each other well. We did a better job working together than we could have if one of us had worked alone on making the two characters due to the fact that we could give our opinions and give each other feedback. I enjoyed working together on them as well.

To Targon:
Thanks again for the compliment about the story. It feels great that someone appreciates what I/we worked hard on.
Targon Moonrise Posted - 15 Mar 2003 : 21:59:26
Now, I've seen the same story from two views. Both your stories craft a better picture than one alone. I love it!
Artalis Posted - 15 Mar 2003 : 20:39:57
quote:
Originally posted by Drummer Boy

quote:

I loved that profile. You could be a storyteller. I could see every detail the whole way through.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for all of it. Like I said, Artalis did a lot of the work in brainstorming ideas for our characters, since we were working together on making our characters.

Thanks for the tip of the hat sir. I see you have fleshed out the history a bit, and nicely done indeed. For comparison I should post Tarim's profile here so everyone can see how the two histories are intertwined. I personally was very happy to work with you on the two characters and I think that what we came up with together is better by far than anything either one of us could have accomplished. Again, Drummerboy the Learned Scribe, Well Done.

Tarim Ravenmane

History:

Tarim was born the youngest child of Hakim Ravenmane; the Shaman Adept of the Tree Ghost Tribe of the Old Forest and Lyssa a mysterious woman from another tribe that Hakim had fallen in love with and married. He was the fourth of their children and his mother Lyssa died while in childbirth with him, leaving his older sister most of the responsibility of caring for him and his brother Aragrym. She was 9 years old at the time.

Tarim was very weak and sickly as an infant, and nearly died several times. Indeed he has been ill for most of his life. It is mostly by the power of the Tree Ghost Spirit and his father’s faith in that spirit that has saved him (and perhaps, too his older sister Lyrra’s careful ministrations).

Tarim’s father kept a very close watch on him and cared for him using all the knowledge and magic at his disposal. Many of the villagers resented this as Uthgar’s motto has always been “only the strong survive” and Hakim’s deep and abiding love for his son was highly unusual in the rough life of a barbarian.

Those close to Hakim knew that when his wife died, he changed greatly. He had been out hunting Orcs with the warriors of the tribe when Lyssa went into labor with Tarim. She was not due for some time but some say the stress of her worries for her husband brought it on. He did not return until 2 days later and by then she had died. When Hakim looked into the eyes of his 3rd son he saw his beloved wife’s eyes and has ever sworn that he would die before letting harm come to him.

The majority of Tarim’s childhood was spent bedridden, a victim of some illness or another. His sister Lyrra used to open up the corner of the tent where Tarim lay so that he could look at the stars when it was too dark to read. Those nights linger in his memory, looking up at the stars not knowing whether he would live to see the dawn. Lyrra had spent countless sleepless nights at Tarim’s bedside tending to the sickly waif. She used to sing him songs she made up herself, which he always loved. His fondest memories are looking up in the middle of the night to see his beloved sisters face illuminated in starlight singing in her soft sweet voice.

It was immediately noticeable in his childhood that Tarim was very intelligent and as he grew it became more and more apparent that he was truly brilliant. When he was 6 years old he was already reading and trying to write, which was unheard of in his village. His father tried very hard to keep him challenged teaching him all the information that he had access to, schooling him in the Lore of the High Forest and the Tree Ghost Tribe.

When he was 10 years old his tribe had a visitor from afar, a gray bearded old man with a staff that had come to see his father. Around the campfire one night Tarim caught the old man’s eye and the graybeard called him over. In a serious voice but with a quirky smile the old man told Tarim, “Never stop asking questions and never believe anything anyone tells you unless you have good reason, take nothing for granted.” The old man also told him “ your father is a good man learn how to be a man from him, but you are not to be a shaman. You have too much talent for the Art, that much I know.” The old man handed him a book and said, “Keep this secret, for your fellow villagers would not understand why you must learn the things herein.”

The book was titled “A Primer on Magical Theory: A Spell Caster’s First Step” and no author was listed. When Tarim looked up after checking out the book the old man was gone. From that day that book never left his sight or side he read it so many times the pages were falling out and he could quote from it easily from memory. He also found a symbol in the book that matched the birthmark on his forearm: a circle with seven stars within. As he read the book he learned that the symbol was Mystra’s and he took it to mean that he was to follow her. He also learned of the existence of Azuth, Mystra and the story of how the Goddesses Shar and Selune brought about the existence of the Weave and it’s mistress. He absorbed enough to realize that his destiny lie with the Art and not with Uthgar. He has since prayed to Mystra for guidance and promised to use whatever “talent” the old man referred to in her service.

He never discovered the old man’s name and his father for some reason would not tell him. It was odd but for some reason Tarim could swear that the book had a mind of it’s own because every time he read it he found some new obscure passage that explained some odd point of theory that he was having trouble with.

All through this time Tarim continued to look at the stars every night. His favorite time was the deep of the night when the stars are clear and bright. For some reason he felt at peace when he lay under that vastness his worries quieted and his soul assuaged.

A few months’ later strange things began to happen around his family’s lodge. Things began moving around by themselves. Shortly after this began when he was sick lying in bed Tarim reached out for a cup of water that he was to weak to get up and fetch for himself and it floated over as if by an unseen hand. Tarim then figured out that the “strange happenings” were the manifestations of sorcerous talent. He knew of this from the book the old man had given him.

Hakim was able to cover the incidents up with tales of restless spirits and whatnot keeping Tarim safe from any reprisals or prejudices from the superstitious villagers.

Gradually Tarim began to be able to control his abilities a bit better and things settled down. It seemed as Tarim began to practice his abilities his health improved, and while he still was not considered hardy by any stretch he stopped getting sick quite so often and was able to recover more quickly when he did get sick. Tarim was still by far the weakest male adult of the tribe, but he was able to use his wits and intelligence to his advantage enough to gain respect.

Hakim was pushing Tarim hard to follow in his footsteps and to be a Shaman of the Tree Ghost and a leader of the Village. Tarim knew it wasn’t to be, though. The words of the old man echoed in his head every time Hakim talked about Tarim “taking up the mantle”.

All Tarim wanted was to learn more about arcane magic. It fascinated him in a way nothing else did. He was drawn to everything about it, every story, legend and myth in every scroll and book in the village (which wasn’t many), eventually became fodder for his obsession with all things arcane. Gradually it became apparent to his father that Tarim was against becoming a shaman and Hakim was extremely disappointed in him, the two have not been speaking much of late.

Tarim has learned a few spells, and has worked around the verbal and somatic components to appear more “shamanistic”. This allowed him to cast some spells around the village and not arouse any suspicion or outright outrage. The villagers all assume that Tarim is following in his father’s footsteps, and as upset as Hakim is, he would never give Tarim’s secret out, especially since he has been protecting him all along and would be in just as much trouble.

Tarim mostly leans on his older brother Aragrym for support now. Aragrym doesn’t understand the difference between the arcane and shaman magics and doesn’t much care. Tarim has always looked up to his older siblings especially Aragrym who is much bigger and stronger than he is. Aragrym had often been the barrier between the other village children and him, protecting the “runt” as he calls him sometimes. The two have a very strong bond and Tarim would do nearly anything for the “big dummy” as he calls him when Aragrym calls him a runt.

He loves his sister Lyrra very much they don’t speak very often because she is married to a hunter now and has her own lodge and soon a child of her own to worry about. Someday Tarim wants to do something truly great for Lyrra, because he knows she was forced to sacrifice her childhood to raise him, though she has never said anything about it.

Tarim has one other sibling, Caradrym who is the eldest of Hakim’s children. Caradrym became a druid long ago and only rarely comes to the village to see them.

After his health improved Tarim spent much of his time wandering the lands around his village. He has met and made friends with all manner of creatures learning their languages. His favorites have always been the Elves and Gnomes and he learned their languages quickly so that he could speak with them and hear their tales. Tarim’s humble and courteous nature has won over many different creatures of the forest. Tarim has a tendency to believe the best of people because he was raised (admittedly unusually so) in such a loving home. He has difficulty understanding evil though he hates it.

Around his 16th year he was out wandering one day and he came across a party of elves facing off against a group of zombies. An instinctive revulsion came over Tarim and utterly enraged he threw bolt after bolt of disruption at the zombies turning the tide for the elves. Afterwards he looked at his hands in disbelief as the world swam before his eyes. The elves thanked him profusely and escorted him back home as the woods are not a safe place and Tarim’s strength was spent. When Tarim returned to the Village with the Elven escort he truly went up in the estimation of his peers. When they related the tale of how he helped them defeat the zombies a few eyebrows were raised but no one asked any questions about how he did it. Tarim claimed that the spirit of the Tree Ghost worked thru him to destroy the zombies and that was good enough for most everyone in the village.

The village elders accepted this deed as a fulfillment of the Ritual of the Runehunt and named Tarim ready to undergo the Ritual of Telhut to become a man in the tradition of the tribe.

That night one of the elves, a curious and lovely maiden named Aliania Sev’renthostis stayed in the village with Tarim. They talked late into the night about their hopes and dreams, and, caught up in the moment, found their way into each others arms. Tarim awoke the next morning to find her gone with her kin. He vowed that someday he would find her again.

After the Tribal Council where they proclaimed Tarim ready, Kraggis Greyghost (a tribal elder) approached Tarim. He told Tarim that he knew the secrets he had been keeping. “Nothing good will ever come of hiding these things, Tarim. I know you mean well and your heart is strong, but you cannot fool the whole tribe forever. Some already suspect that you hold arcane magicks within you. I have no good advice for you boy, but I thought you should know. I owe your family that much at least.”

Shortly thereafter Tarim underwent the Ritual of Telhut as his final step towards manhood in the eyes of the Tribe. He made his yearly pilgrimage during the autumnal equinox to the Grandfather Tree. He went there to undergo the Ritual at the sacred burial mound of his ancestors under the eaves of the Grandfather.

During that ritual Tarim was wracked with painful visions of the Tree Ghost spirit haunting him with its disapproval. Uthgar had made his unhappiness known with Tarim’s choices. He might be a man in the tradition of the tribe, and though he earned it, no mage would ever have the blessing of Uthgar. The ritual left Tarim feeling very depressed and alone even though he finally earned his full name of Tarim Ravenmane after his hair and his father.

Recently Hakim was attacked and killed when he summoned a creature of unknown type and was unable to maintain control over it. After killing Hakim, destroying a great deal of the village and wounding a number of the village warriors it ran away into the forest.

Aragrym and Hakim found the ravaged remains of their father and immediately set out, grief-stricken, to kill the monster. Lyrra begged them to let it go, but they refused saying that their father's blood cried out from the earth for justice, and his spirit would not rest until the creature was destroyed. They then set out after the creature with only a quick embrace for their sister and no assurance that they would ever be back, for they had no idea what it was they would be facing.

Drummer Boy Posted - 15 Mar 2003 : 18:15:48
quote:

Targon Moonrise Posted - 15 Mar 2003 : 02:39:53
Drummer Boy Posted - 15 Mar 2003 : 02:23:50
This is my favorite (and so far only) created character's background story. The character is a Tree Ghost barbarian I am using in Mumadar's Silver Marches campaign. Also, I want to thank Artalis. He created this character's brother and did most of the work in thinking of ideas for our characters.

Aragrym Ravenmane was the third child born of Hakim Ravenmane, a shaman of the Tree Ghost tribe. He was born in a small village just ten miles north of the Grandfather Tree. However, he visited the Grandfather Tree every year during the autumn equinox and had fond memories of there where he was reunited with some of his friends and relatives who lived at or were visiting the larger village there at the time.

He has always had a competitive spirit and enjoyed athletic sports with the other youths of his village. He was a well-rounded person who was somewhat of a “jack-of-all-trades, master of none” as far as his abilities went. He was very fond of nature and enjoyed strolling through the woods and taking in all of the trees and wildlife. He dreamt of one day perhaps becoming a ranger, but he was under pressure from the tribe to become a brave warrior.

Aragrym had only few memories of his mother, Lyssa, because she died giving birth to Aragrym's younger brother, Tarim, when Aragrym was only three years old. All that he remembers is that she was a mysterious woman from the Black Raven tribe, but sometimes he has strange dreams about her that he cannot explain. Because she died in birth of Tarim, Aragrym's sister, Lyrra, was charged with caring for Aragrym and Tarim when they were small children. When Tarim was born, he was very weak and nearly died several times, so Lyrra sacrificed her childhood in caring for him.

Aragrym also had an older brother named Caradrym, but he had few memories of him due to the fact that he left the village to become a druid. He did remember that Caradrym was very attuned with nature, and Aragrym learned some interesting things of it during his older brother’s infrequent visits.

Aragrym, like most of the barbarians of his tribe, worshiped Uthgar and the Tree Ghost beast totem spirit, showing a fierce devotion to his deity. He often looked to the Tree Ghost beast totem for guidance when he had a problem. Also, during his training to be a warrior when he was a youth, his typical response to an enemy would be to charge into the melee with a great roar of “Uthgar!” However, Hakim had taught him not to let his pride outweigh good caution. He would only do this when it was apparent that his side already had the upper hand in the battle. When it was apparent that this was not so, he was also capable of releasing a more discreet, but undoubtedly devastating barrage of arrows from his shortbow.

It quickly became apparent to Aragrym that his younger brother possessed great wisdom and intelligence beyond his young age. Aragrym had always respected him for this, but jokingly called him "the little runt." Tarim usually responded by calling him "the big dummy." It was apparent that Aragrym loved Tarim as a brother, but he tried to keep up his "big, tough barbarian" appearance by hiding his emotions, even though he knew Tarim saw right through the facade. Aragrym often protected Tarim from any village children who tried to tease Tarim, and there were few who would try to hurt Tarim when Aragrym was around. They were all quite aware that Aragrym was capable of fiercely protecting his younger brother.

One time, Hakim had a mysterious graybeard visitor. That night, Aragrym was waiting in his tent when he saw Tarim sitting outside by the campfire. Then the strange man approached Tarim, and Aragrym saw the man hand Tarim a strange-looking book. Aragrym could see that the graybeard spoke to Tarim, but he was too far away to be able to hear what he had said. Aragrym thought he heard a noise behind him and turned around to regard it. When he turned back, the graybeard was gone, and Tarim appeared similarly surprised. After this strange incident, Aragrym noticed a distance growing between Hakim and his youngest son. He began to grow suspicious that for some unknown reason Tarim wasn't fulfilling his father's hopes of becoming a tribal shaman, but Aragrym kept his suspicions to himself.

When Aragrym turned fifteen, he participated in the Ritual of the Runehunt, in which the youths of the tribe compete to seek victory over one of the tribe's ritual enemies. Aragrym decided to use his familiarity of the forest to aid him. He slid through the forest, as quietly as a barbarian of his size would allow, and came upon some orc tracks. He followed them until he came upon a small band of orcs, grunting loudly and gorging on some rancid meat. Most proud barbarians would have stormed in recklessly, and, although Aragrym had a desire to do just that, he knew he should heed Hakim‘s words about not letting his pride outweigh good caution. Aragrym quietly climbed up a tree nearby. He readied his bow with an arrow from his quiver, took aim of one of the orcs, and released his arrow. It streaked through the air and thudded into the orc's chest, collapsing its lung. The orc fell backward, gasping and clutching its wound, and died a few moments later.

The rest of the orcs responded by frantically running around in a frenzy, trying to find out who had killed their companion while Aragrym’s volley of arrows furiously continued. Then a group of Tree Ghost barbarians heard the commotion and stormed in, defeating the orcs by use of greater numbers. However, their victory was due to the arrows that streaked down from Aragrym's bow.

Aragrym was proudly welcomed back to the tribe. Having passed the Ritual of the Runehunt, he was initiated into manhood during the Telhut, a ritual in which the young boys of the tribe become men.

One day, Aragrym's father, Hakim, mistakenly summoned a strange monster, but lost control of it. It went on a rampage through the village, killing and injuring many people before Tarim and Aragrym drove it into the High Forest.

When they went back to consult Hakim about the strange occurrence, they found his mutilated body inside the deer hide tent where he had made his fatal error. Although Lyrra tried to convince them otherwise, the newly-orphaned Ravenmane brothers told her that they must leave to avenge their dear father. With only a short embrace and a good-bye, Tarim and Aragrym started into the High Forest. Shortly after, they found the beast’s tracks and started after it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000