Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Champions of Valor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 17 Mar 2005 : 02:20:24
SKR had this to say on some other, trifling Boards that never focus enough on the Realms ...

FYI, Champions of Valor draws on some of the BOED, but it's much more than just "the Book of Exalted Deeds translated to/crammed into FR." It does spend some time talking about what it is to be a valorous hero in FR (rather than just a good character), but it also gives a bunch of new feats, spells, magic items, new character regions (like "raised by the church of Selűne" as your region, no matter what country you're in), large and small writeups of valorous organizations in the Realms, substitution levels for many of those organization, a handful of prestige classes (yes, really only a handful), valorous locations, valorous NPCs (for cohorts or contacts), and valorous-appropriate creatures (like alternate paladin mounts). It's a book for PCs who want to run valorous characters and a book for DMs on how to run campaigns with valorous characters.

I can't wait to see/hear more.

-- George Krashos
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
seankreynolds Posted - 01 Feb 2006 : 21:01:49
Sorry, last two times I tried to reply I got a forum error.

Three reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

1. We didn't think of it.
2. If we did think of it, we thought the entries were pretty self-evident ("Hmm, I'm running a game in Cormyr, this Knight's Squire region makes sense....")
3. If we did think of it, that's one more little thing that eats up space in the book -- either as an inline part of the descriptive paragraph, or broken out on its own with a boldface header. Coupled with #2, we didn't want to squeeze anything out.

But I think it's mainly #1 and #2.
Arivia Posted - 06 Jan 2006 : 05:37:30
Reading through CoV, I just have one question: Why weren't there examples given for the regional backgrounds with more variable regions they can apply to? Just one example would go a long way, IMO(like Cormyr for Knight Squire).
The Sage Posted - 31 Dec 2005 : 03:48:52
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Blue Sorceress, you might try pinging Eric in his scroll for details about the Holy Realm.

It was me. The Holy Realm gets about three pages in one of the Elminster's Everwinking Eye series. (It was part of the Turmish series, IIRC.)

--Eric

POLYHEDRON issues for the Turmish series:- #96, 98, 101, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 and 108.
ericlboyd Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 20:27:23
quote:

Blue Sorceress, you might try pinging Eric in his scroll for details about the Holy Realm.

It was me. The Holy Realm gets about three pages in one of the Elminster's Everwinking Eye series. (It was part of the Turmish series, IIRC.)

--Eric
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 08:59:21
The Blue Sorceress Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 07:18:38
quote:
Originally posted by seankreynolds

I lost my notes in a computer crash, but someone (Eric? Garen?) told me the Holy Realm was mentioned in an Elminster's Everwinking Eye article by Ed in a Polyhedron mag. There aren't any other references that I know of in official Realmslore.

Ah, thank you very much. Egads, though, I know what a computer crash can do to you, so you have my sympathy in that regard.

-Blue
seankreynolds Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 10:48:57
I lost my notes in a computer crash, but someone (Eric? Garen?) told me the Holy Realm was mentioned in an Elminster's Everwinking Eye article by Ed in a Polyhedron mag. There aren't any other references that I know of in official Realmslore.
The Blue Sorceress Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 06:31:54
Picked this little gem up recently and I have just one thing to say: PONIES!!!!

A-hem!

I was glad to see this fellas in print. Other items of interest: The Holy Realm. I don't remember hearing about this before. Is it a new organization/area or has it been haning around for a while?

-Blue
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 03 Dec 2005 : 15:56:36
quote:

I haven't looked at the CW version (it's perhaps the most-revised official PrC) and I just woke up, but sure, why not, you have to give those weak and enemic elves _something_ to explain how they've managed to survive all these years. ;)

CW version: +1 arcane caster level every other level (2, 4, ..., 10), without the free quicken every round (it's now just twice a day if you have all 10 levels), still add Int bonus to AC, ignore arcane spell failure chance with light armor, take 10 on Concentration checks to cast defensively, and "flurry of blows" with rapier or longsword at 10th... (i.e. -2 on all attacks, extra attack)
warlockco Posted - 02 Dec 2005 : 06:15:47
quote:

but sure, why not, you have to give those weak and enemic elves _something_ to explain how they've managed to survive all these years. ;)

Careful, those weak anemic elves work for Santa
seankreynolds Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 11:25:25
{Dancing Feint: genius.}

A-thank you. :)

{Also, does the DK gets the Perform (Dance) class skill just on the levels where he substitutes regular FTR levels? if so, I'll remember to pump the intelligence on my next female drow NPC! :)}

I believe the variant class skills only apply to the actual substitution levels, not the entire level range of the class, so you'd have to buy them at crossclass cost for fighter levels that weren't DK levels.

{Finally, I just can't let it go... I must find a way to give the Dancing Feint ability to Bladesingers (I use the CW version) without unbalancing the class. Do you think it could be added "free of charge" or do you recommend a drawback?}

I haven't looked at the CW version (it's perhaps the most-revised official PrC) and I just woke up, but sure, why not, you have to give those weak and enemic elves _something_ to explain how they've managed to survive all these years. ;)
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 07:21:21
Sean:

Dancing Feint: genius. So much so that I'm allowing the Perform (Dance) skill to work in lieu of Bluff for feinting... for all classes! :) (Except that non-DK PCs take a -5 to the skill check when used this way... :) )

Also, does the DK gets the Perform (Dance) class skill just on the levels where he substitutes regular FTR levels? if so, I'll remember to pump the intelligence on my next female drow NPC! :)

Finally, I just can't let it go... I must find a way to give the Dancing Feint ability to Bladesingers (I use the CW version) without unbalancing the class. Do you think it could be added "free of charge" or do you recommend a drawback?
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 01:15:23
quote:

Aha! That would explain why it wasn't in your turnover, either. :)

A-yep. That would be the reason.

Thomas
seankreynolds Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 22:51:44
Aha! That would explain why it wasn't in your turnover, either. :)
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 22:41:12
quote:

You'll have to ask Thomas about that sword, as I didn't write it (at least I don't think I did, it's not familiar to me and I don't have it in my copy of the turnover).

No, that's actually one of Eric's items, I believe. I think it went with his Knights of Imphras II stuff. Eric?

Thomas
seankreynolds Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 18:26:53
The table for the DK is correct; I didn't even have a body text entry for the ability (to me, saying "favored enemy: yochlol +2" doesn't need any explanation.

You'll have to ask Thomas about that sword, as I didn't write it (at least I don't think I did, it's not familiar to me and I don't have it in my copy of the turnover).
BobROE Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 17:42:45
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Regarding the Darksong Knight Substitution levels in CoV

Under Favoured Enemy it says that a DK gets Favoured Enemy: Yochlol at 4th level however there isnt a DK substitute level for 4th level...

Should it be Sixth level (instead of 4th)or should there be another Sub level in the table?

Thanks in advance

It's on the 6th level on the table, so I'm going to guess that it's either a typo, or it was changed at some point along the line (ie after Sean submitted it, and before we got it)
Kentinal Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 16:47:44
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

It may shed a eerie blue light, but may not work to light a passageway in any definite form. Like it looks blue, but you can't use it as a torch, per se.

C-Fb

Also the blue light may not triger light blindness that other swords can cause to Drow and other darkvision creatures.

I have a hard time picturing an Drow doing something like this.

*The Drow warrior draws his mighty sword (+2, sheds light) and stands dazzled by the light of his own sword.*

Also any darkvission fighter would effectly attack as if a +2 sword was a +1 sword because of the nature of the weapon and light blindness.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 16:30:43
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Well - I have progressed along - and am now into the magic items section, though I admit that I skimmed over the substitution levels and the full spell descriptions.

I did notice something that seemed to be somewhat inconsistent though - wondering what people thought -

IN the description of the sword Albruin under activation it says: "Albruin is a +3 silvered longsword. It does not radiate light.

Then - right below that in the Effect section it says: "... It sheds an eerie blue radiance equivalent......when drawn."

This seems contradictory to me - and I am curious which is intended, or - if it is somehow correct in a way that I cannot fathom right now...

Otherwise - very impressed so far - and I have yet to get to what I expect to be some of the more 'juicy' sections!

Dhomal

It may shed a eerie blue light, but may not work to light a passageway in any definite form. Like it looks blue, but you can't use it as a torch, per se.

C-Fb
Kentinal Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 14:45:58
Well SKR can better answer the two of these however what I guess is offered for now.

A sword that casts light is definded in the rules to have a certain quality that an "eerie blue radiance equivalent" can not replace even if it offers some quality of light. A blue light can not be be same light as of
quote:
Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical.

Why would any Darksong Knight want to fight a Yochlol at even level 6? Odds are it is a typo as to which level ability is granted, however it is posible that 4th is correct. Taking the path of Darksong Knight at level 2 will mean you are not just a level 2 Fighter any more you are a special type of fighter gaving given up some things to become something else. A level 4 boost indeed might be intended as Lolth might start sending Yochlols after a Darksong Knight as they become that powerful. *Grin*

Only other thing I can add, SKR when asked said that
quote:
The Darksong Knight is essentially what I submitted except they simplified and improved the Combat Dancing ability.
Dargoth Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 12:36:46
Regarding the Darksong Knight Substitution levels in CoV

Under Favoured Enemy it says that a DK gets Favoured Enemy: Yochlol at 4th level however there isnt a DK substitute level for 4th level...

Should it be Sixth level (instead of 4th)or should there be another Sub level in the table?

Thanks in advance
Dhomal Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 04:17:03
Hello-

Well - I have progressed along - and am now into the magic items section, though I admit that I skimmed over the substitution levels and the full spell descriptions.

I did notice something that seemed to be somewhat inconsistent though - wondering what people thought -

IN the description of the sword Albruin under activation it says: "Albruin is a +3 silvered longsword. It does not radiate light.

Then - right below that in the Effect section it says: "... It sheds an eerie blue radiance equivalent......when drawn."

This seems contradictory to me - and I am curious which is intended, or - if it is somehow correct in a way that I cannot fathom right now...

Otherwise - very impressed so far - and I have yet to get to what I expect to be some of the more 'juicy' sections!

Dhomal
The Sage Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 07:35:38
It's not really a big deal.

We live in the same apartment, so the book itself is within easy enough reach.
Dhomal Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 06:14:50
quote:

I did notice one small difference between the two books though... the second copy has pg. 96 printed upside down .

So I don't mind so much the Lady K having the extra copy now .

Hello-

What? You mean you let someone else have the rare, mis-printed copy? It could be worth a lot of money!

Dhomal
The Sage Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 00:14:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Yeah, I wish. As it happens, the Lady K has now "acquired" the extra copy..., employing methods to sway my initial hesitation, that really cannot be detailed here .

These "Questionable Methods" didnt involve her dressing up as Alias the Sell sword did they? (See Cover of Curse of the Azure bonds)

Oh no, but that would definitely be something to see .

I did notice one small difference between the two books though... the second copy has pg. 96 printed upside down .

So I don't mind so much the Lady K having the extra copy now .
Dargoth Posted - 22 Nov 2005 : 20:49:09
quote:

Yeah, I wish. As it happens, the Lady K has now "acquired" the extra copy..., employing methods to sway my initial hesitation, that really cannot be detailed here .

These "Questionable Methods" didnt involve her dressing up as Alias the Sell sword did they? (See Cover of Curse of the Azure bonds)
Kajehase Posted - 22 Nov 2005 : 15:50:57
Perhaps you should ask the Sage or Crennen about some of those swaying techniques females employ and see if you can adapt them
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 22 Nov 2005 : 14:57:22
hummm...
I think that now is the time for me to chant some prayers for Moradin, since my wife is not sooo fan of the Realms books...
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 22 Nov 2005 : 14:47:18
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

I can't believe it .

Getting home from uni this morning, and I came across another mail order at my doorstep, and inside, another copy of CoV. So, with the copy I received yesterday, and the copy now sitting on my desktop, I have two CoV tomes.

Well met

Splendid! That means ye can read at twice the rate and post thy comments herein I have yet to locate this tome and would certainly like to hear more thoughts on the content.

Reading at twice the rate?

Well - the female of the species is quite good at those swaying techniques - Kianna did end up with a set of her on FR books.

C-Fb
The Sage Posted - 22 Nov 2005 : 13:24:53
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Of course maybe you don't need a canon official explanation but many of us want one. And, no offense to Gray, we don't want Grays, or yours, or mine, or anyone else’s homebrew reason. :)
Really? ‘Many’ of us?

I’ve relied on Eric’s, George’s (and most recently Gray’s) explanations, ideas and contributions for quite some time, as have the Realms online community for the last, what, oh 7-8(?) years overall, because these non-cannon/unofficial sources have always been welcome by the greater Realms Community for their creativity, resourcefulness and willingness to keep an open and non-judgmental mind about the setting in order to sincerely work to shore up continuity differences.

It’s no coincidence that they’ve done such a good job that now they write their unofficial ideas into ‘official’ books?

A great CoV example of this would be the equine section.

Thats nice for you but that's not the rest of us, as I said. Now if you want to continue this, take it to another scroll. I said I wasn't debating this with you AGAIN.

Now this is your last warning, if you want to continue to debate this with me in this scroll then you are forcing me to start removing your posts since it has nothing to do with this scroll and we BOTH know how this debate turns out in the end, so I'm not sure why you want to continue to argue this over and over.

And I quite agree.

Sanishiver, I must ask you to please halt your attempts to further this "off-topic" nonsense. If you so wish, open a new scroll in a more appropriate section, or take your issues to a more private area -- PMs or emails are sufficient.

Thank you .

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000