Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Anyone else would like to see more of the Zhents?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Krafus Posted - 03 Mar 2005 : 15:30:39
I was flipping through the pages of Lords of Darkness yesterday, and it struck me that several of the major evil power groups (and one minor one) have been featured in trilogies since the beginning of 3e. The Cult of the Dragon is currently having its day in the sun in Richard Byers' Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. The shades were featured in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. The drow have the six-volume War of the Spider Queen series. And, finally, the daemonfey are the main antagonists of Richard Baker's Lost Mythal trilogy.

When I got to the Zhentarim section, I found myself wishing that they, too, would be the main antagonists of a novel series. Certainly, IMHO, they deserve to enjoy some success, having been made into incompetent buffoons in 2e because of the accursed TSR Code of Ethics. Now they're stronger than ever, and linked to the church of a powerful evil god. I think it's about they were portrayed as the dangerous villains I know they can be, especially as they finally have competent leadership. Maybe they could try to take over the whole of the Moonsea.

So... Is there anyone else who would like to see more of the Zhentarim?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Mar 2005 : 06:25:14
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

KnightErrantJR, that's actually quite funny because the Zhents that are dumbed down appear most often in Ed Greenwood's own books.

Perhaps so, but we also know that Ed's books are usually horribly mangled between the time he writes them and they actually get published.
DDH_101 Posted - 14 Mar 2005 : 04:13:39
KnightErrantJR, that's actually quite funny because the Zhents that are dumbed down appear most often in Ed Greenwood's own books. Lol. In fact, the dumbest Zhents that I've seen were in Silverfall. It was in that chapter about Storm and you read about a Zhentarim leader who like believed in every goddamn word some harlot was saying, and then he ordered his own loyal men killed.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Mar 2005 : 01:09:53
I seem to remember Ed talking about how it bothered him that the Zhents were so often dumbed down, considering these are the folks that the Dalelands are constantly on edge about. I would like to see the Zhentarim figured into a new novel prominently, and shown to be competent and dangerous, but its odd becuase I don't really want to see them threatening the Dales again OR having a civil war because we have seen both of those (don't forget the Manshoon wars).

In fact, I would rather see Fzoul deal with the Darkhold situation rather quickly and decicively, so that everyone stops and goes "how did he pull that off" while the Cyricits that survive are standing outside the gates saying "no fair".

I think that is the kind of villain that we are being told that Fzoul is capable of being, though we've not seen it yet.
Krafus Posted - 12 Mar 2005 : 15:38:16
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
As someone mentioned previously here, it would be great if WotC had done a Zhentarim Series, like they had done a Harpers Series.

::adds another item to wish list::

Not a chance, what with the damn Code of Ethics that was in place back then.

Nowadays, however... I doubt it'll happen, but should WotC decide to publish Zhentarim-focused novels, at least the Code won't be there.
Lord Rad Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 10:18:31
Without a doubt!!

I'm a big fan of the Zhentarim and they feature heavily in my campaign. I'd love to read more about them and have them having some success.

I was glad to read of them in The Rage and thought Richard Lee Byers did a great job in depicting their nature and how they were taking advantage of the situation (I won't go into the particular scene as its definately worth reading firsthand).

As someone mentioned previously here, it would be great if WotC had done a Zhentarim Series, like they had done a Harpers Series.

::adds another item to wish list::
thekosta Posted - 08 Mar 2005 : 18:01:34
As for the Zent's I would like to see more of them perhaps an open ended series like the Harpers because there is so much more to them than Manshoon and Fzoul. So many more interesting characters and strongholds that people could explore.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Mar 2005 : 04:05:29
The Zhents do win, sometimes; it is only through the deliberate effort of heroes that keeps them at bay.

Just because they usually lose in novels doesn't mean they don't have their share of victories. Remember that the novels give a taste of the Realms, but like the sourcebooks they don't show you everything. They are selective rather than exhaustive.
DDH_101 Posted - 06 Mar 2005 : 02:44:47
Hmmm... I think the Zhents are winning enough already. It seems that with each new novel, the good guys are getting weaker and weaker. The best example is Evereska. Look at that city; just when they are starting to recover from the phaerrim attacks, they now have a daemonfey invasion on their hands. We all know they gonna win, but at what cost? We need more novels with good guys winning but not exactly with heavy losses. The Zhentarim right now may not be directly involved in the major events in Faerun, but they sure are reaping the profits, especially from The Rage of the Dragons.
Paec_djinn Posted - 05 Mar 2005 : 23:43:00
I see your point Faraer, but changing the geography of the Realms could really add some twist to the ever-changing way the Realms is run--an RSE.

But then again, they could make a series and let the Zhents win--for once--in the first few books and then finally a full coalition drove them back. I don't know.

I still think a civil war between Zhents is a better idea though.
Faraer Posted - 05 Mar 2005 : 18:54:55
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

I hated the way Zhents were always on the losing side in the Avatar series and the Rage. It really made them look weak IMO.

They are, after all, villains, and if they were victorious in a story, the protagonists would almost certainly be defeated: which would break the basic structure of what a story is -- let alone codes of ethics and standards for content. Further, if the Zhents were ever shown to succeed in their real aims, crushing the northern Dales and setting up their trade route to the west and gaining economic dominance over the northern continent, it would vastly change the setting in a way that should be the remit only of DMs, not the published fiction.
DDH_101 Posted - 05 Mar 2005 : 17:15:12
I myself don't care much about a Zhentarim story, as they usually get screwed over by the Seven Sisters everytime I read about them.

Like Krafus, I would enjoy reading about Fzoul or Manshoon. I mean, if you can have novels featuring an epic character like Elminster, there shouldn't be much of a problem creating a story for these two Zhentarim leaders. In fact, a story about like the religious war between the Cyricists and the Banites would be pretty cool.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Mar 2005 : 16:47:11
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

If we can't get a series to focus on the Zhentarim as a whole as antagonists, I agree a solo novel about a specific Zhent leader like Fzoul or Manshoon would be great.

I think that would work a lot better. Focusing on a group of antagonists wouldn't make for as satisfying a read as focusing on a couple of particular individuals in that group would.
Krafus Posted - 05 Mar 2005 : 14:28:18
If we can't get a series to focus on the Zhentarim as a whole as antagonists, I agree a solo novel about a specific Zhent leader like Fzoul or Manshoon would be great.
VEDSICA Posted - 05 Mar 2005 : 04:17:11
Yes Dargoth,I would like to see a novel on Fzoul's life.I,TYRANT would be a great idea.
Paec_djinn Posted - 05 Mar 2005 : 00:52:24
I've been interested in Zhentarim as major villains(which actually make you fear them as you read) since I read Shadow's Witnesses. The I played BGDA(though it doesn't really seem canon) and Kharn, the Zhent thief really excited me and I liked the way he sort of looked strong and powerful.

After reading the Avatar series, I really was very interested in reading more about the Zhents and I really think that a Zhentarim civil war between the two religions would be a nice story to have.

I hated the way Zhents were always on the losing side in the Avatar series and the Rage. It really made them look weak IMO.
Steven Schend Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 23:09:00
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's the red hair. He reminds you of Ralph from "Happy Days".

-- George Krashos

Does that make Manshoon Potsie or the Fonz?
Faraer Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 16:13:48
The Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy may give us our best look at the Zhents yet, from spies in Eveningstar to drawn-out clashes with Shadowdale. Other than that, I think concocting novels specifically to showcase particular groups is a gimmicky and artistically dubious practise, as it was with the Rise of the Archwizards books. The Realms is more organic and variegated than that -- use the Zhents and other known groups when they come up, otherwise the published Realms fiction needs more examples of the smaller and more commonly encountered neutral and evil factions.

As to currently published books, Chosen of Bane, look no further than the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy and Shandril's Saga.
George Krashos Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 05:43:27
It's the red hair. He reminds you of Ralph from "Happy Days".

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 04:53:06
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel
Why do I find the idea of a Fzoul/Martha comparison humorous?

Because you can picture him in an apron teaching his apprentices how to bake muffins the correct way.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 03:11:40
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Fzoul's ooooone busy guy....Priest, commander, shishkebab a la Cyric, Avatar, servant of Cyric, traitor and conspirator, worshipper of Mask for five seconds, Worshipper of Xvim, Banite, Chosen...

The Martha Stewart of his day. He does everything.

Except he wouldn't get sent to prison for insider trading. As a servant of an evil deity, he'd more likely get a thumbs-up for it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed of the Greenwood tells me that readers of THE BEST OF THE REALMS Volume 2: The Stories of Ed Greenwood (coming in June or July) will enjoy an interesting (though short) cameo by Fzoul, and that those who read an early 2006 “Realms of” anthology will learn “a little bombshell” regarding Manshoon’s current activities.
And no, it’s NOT what was in last year’s Spin A Yarn tale . . .
love to all,
THO

Ooh, interesting! Thanks for the tease, my Lady Hooded One!
Ethriel Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 02:53:37
Fzoul: And now we see how with the right bit of basting, we can make a LOVELY turkey dinner to honor the Black Lord Bane....now, we garnish our meal with the blood of a random elf!
Bane:...God, I love Thanksgiving...

Why do I find the idea of a Fzoul/Martha comparison humorous?
Dargoth Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 02:24:58
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I agree Wooly.I think as a group they have been played out.Now as individuals.I would love to see novels concerning Fzoul and or Mansoon.

How about a novel about Fzoul and Manshoons lives

Couple of ideas for the title: Fzoul the making of a Tyrant or I Tyrant
The Hooded One Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 02:02:48
Ed of the Greenwood tells me that readers of THE BEST OF THE REALMS Volume 2: The Stories of Ed Greenwood (coming in June or July) will enjoy an interesting (though short) cameo by Fzoul, and that those who read an early 2006 “Realms of” anthology will learn “a little bombshell” regarding Manshoon’s current activities.
And no, it’s NOT what was in last year’s Spin A Yarn tale . . .
love to all,
THO
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 01:53:06
quote:

Fzoul's ooooone busy guy....Priest, commander, shishkebab a la Cyric, Avatar, servant of Cyric, traitor and conspirator, worshipper of Mask for five seconds, Worshipper of Xvim, Banite, Chosen...

The Martha Stewart of his day. He does everything.
Ethriel Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 01:00:06
VEDSICA Posted - 04 Mar 2005 : 00:33:00
I agree Wooly.I think as a group they have been played out.Now as individuals.I would love to see novels concerning Fzoul and or Mansoon.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2005 : 23:00:02
I think the Zhents are over-played as villains... I'd love to see more of Manshoon and Fzoul, but not the rest of the Black Network.
Ethriel Posted - 03 Mar 2005 : 20:34:30
Alright, comforting to know I was close... (Prounced it "F-izz-owl"
Kuje Posted - 03 Mar 2005 : 17:45:27
quote:
Offhand, how do you pronounce 'Fzoul Chembryl?'

It's Fzz-OOL CHEMM-bril according to the Old Grey Box, the 1st campaign box set.
SiriusBlack Posted - 03 Mar 2005 : 17:25:26
quote:

I would like to see Fzoul and Semmemon in action again sometimes, the political intrigue's always been interesting. Perhaps as novel antagonists...

Murray Leeder mentioned in this thread about one of the characters being featured in an upcoming novel.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000