Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dwarves in Thunderpeaks?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dwarvenmate Posted - 23 Oct 2004 : 19:25:29
Hello ev'ryone, I'm a huge fan of Dwarves and have most of the handbooks, but I was unable to find any info of Dwarven settlements of Thunderpeaks . I know there was the dwarven city of THunderholme which was abbanondened because of that dang shadow dragon . Maybe I'm a lousy reader or something but if you have any information of Dwarves' settlements or numbers there, I'd be very delighted . Tell me how big is their number there, how many settlements they have there and even possibly give info of other races' numbers . THANKS IN ADVANCE!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 25 Feb 2020 : 01:33:31
Great Reader Darden,

Nice find. I scoured and couldn't find anymore. However, a stones throw away are some Dwarves in the mines of Tethyamyr. That's really all I've got there, unless you go further southeast under the Sea of Fallen Stars to Dwarves Deep.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, page 12

There is a rather hostile group of dwarves in a place called Sparkling Stones.

Markustay Posted - 01 Dec 2019 : 20:54:37
I get the idea that at least two groups dwarves that fell within the demesne of Cormyr were 'cursed'. The Thunderholme bunch got the 'Mines of Moria' treatment, pretty much, and there was the Oghrann group, which wound-up being something similar to the 'Gully Dwarves' of Krynn (none too bright, and very 'folksy'). Some source or other mentions 'survivors' of that Kingdom still living in scattered groups in the Tunlands region.

However, from reading bits of 'rumors' and what-not, I get the impression there is at least one 'hidden' group of Dwarves living in the Stormhorns, that could possibly be guarding some 'ancient & terrible secret'. In fact, dwarven Monks were specifically mentioned in one such 'rumor' (which is why I get a 'monastic/guardian' vibe for whatever is going on there). Several 'cities' are also mentioned to occasionally appear in the Stonelands environs; usually just two, and being in the swamplands and being connected to two different goddesses of disease (Talona and Kiputytto), but there is also the mention of an 'invisible' (intermittent?) city of dwarven monks as well, which we could possibly connect to the spellplague and other 'magical chaos' (which seems to effect this part of Faerûn moreso than most others). So we could theorize that possible some, if not all, of these 'mystery settlements' might be 'out of phase' (Abeir?) with regular Toril.

To boil it down, there seems to be some sort of 'deeper secret' in regards to Cormyr - one in which ancient, pre-Cormyr dwarves were involved somehow, and that the few groups in the region came to bad ends, one way or another. I also think it 'may' be connected to the Crystal Grotto, or whatever that Sapphire mine is called. 'Buried' secrets may be better, more literal way of putting it.
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Nov 2019 : 00:45:09
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, page 12

There is a rather hostile group of dwarves in a place called Sparkling Stones.
Ty Posted - 23 Feb 2005 : 15:47:44
Aha!

Yep, Cult of the Dragons is by far the most definitive resource on Thunderholme. It seems I wasn't crazy about the blue dragon thing since Aurgloroasa assumed the form of a blue dragon (amongst others) and killed the black dragon lairing in the Heart of the Mine. I'm starting to remember now and my information stated previously regarding Thunderholme was from one of our home campaigns and not taken from any sourcebook. Good DM's always make things appear so official dont they?

Now I have a twist I'm feeling coming onto me to throw my current group against...
hammer of Moradin Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 07:53:25
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Gee Hammer, you'll be apoplectic if WotC ever do a "Clans of the Stout Folk" sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

You hinting at some secret knowledge there George?

There just isn't enough good dwarven lore out there.

Hmmm... Clans of the Stout Folk.
Ty Posted - 21 Feb 2005 : 21:58:21
Good googely-moogely!

Thanks Gray! Sometimes I'm as blind as a bat it seems... Caught me asleep at the wheel of rounding out my collection.
Gray Richardson Posted - 19 Feb 2005 : 23:33:50
Don't have Cult of the Dragon? It's available for free download from Wizards' download website here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Everyone should have Cult of the Dragon!
Ty Posted - 19 Feb 2005 : 02:05:42
Ooookay.

I've reviewed the Dalelands and Cormyr supplements, Dwarves Deep, Volo's Guide to the Dalelands and Volo's Guide to Cormyr. Oh, and the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

I found references to the "Sibilant Shadow" (a dracolich according to 3rd Edition), a blue dragon, a black dragon for dragons. Again, several references to the Heart of the Mine and its plundering by a black dragon, whose hoard was never recovered.

I found references to mines in the Thunder Peaks that were abandoned post-haste by the dwarves and humans under pressure from hobgoblins (at least according to Volo, but we all know how unreliable he is without El's continuous ahem... help?).

Basically, Oghraunn stopped at the Storm Horns. I don't find anything about a dwarven kingdom in that area since Sarphil was limited to the eastern shores of the Moonsea, but we know how sneaksy those dwarves are about hiding their holds.

Basically, I got nothin'.

Cult of the Dragon is a sourcebook I don't have, (so I'll defer to Tauster as to the contents of that treatise), and I have yet to find my old grey box Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Maybe I'm thinking of an old campaign our group ran in the late 80's or so but I swore that there was a dwarven city located in the Thunder Peaks. This is *my* recollection, totally unsubstantiated and without any citations.

Thunderholme was named as such because of a raging waterfall near the city that sounded like constant thunder. The dwarves of Thunderholme were routed by the attacks of a blue dragon (who at the time was or later became a dracolich). I further remember that the city didn't fall in the distant past, but rather, in the living memory of those dwarves who fled from its predations. I do not recall the dwarves having extensive delves like in Ammarindar, Sarphil, or Delzoun, but it was a decent sized gathering of the Stout Folk.

Again, this is merely my recollection of either something I read, or was part of an adventure in our own campaign. I think your best bet may be to ask Mr. Greenwood over in the Chamber of Sages for a real answer rather than the mutterings of ahem... myself.
George Krashos Posted - 19 Feb 2005 : 01:11:41
Gee Hammer, you'll be apoplectic if WotC ever do a "Clans of the Stout Folk" sourcebook.

-- George Krashos
hammer of Moradin Posted - 18 Feb 2005 : 08:15:13
Flipping through the new LEoF tome, I came across only one mention of the Thunderpeaks, and that is only to mention the hordes of orcs and other monsters pouring forth at some battle or so. Not the best place for a dwarven settlement. There is a great amount of information on some of the lost empires of dwarves in the area. Definately check this book out if you love dwarven lore.
Ty Posted - 17 Feb 2005 : 18:54:25
Yah, you're right about the dracolich part, that much I remember. Blue may be something I'm recalling from a -long- time ago before I think we had the shadow dragons but again, I'm only speculating since I'm slouching at work here for a bit over lunch.

P.S. Edit After a Bit of Research

I did a quick look at Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (which is a bit informative on the Thunder Peaks) after downloading it from WotC.

No dwarves are mentioned anywhere except the village of Glen, which has the Deep Mine. The Deep Mine is actually an elevator where the dwarves of Glen can trade with their kin in "Dwarves Deep" and that you can buy dragon eggs from them.

As for dragons, we have a black dragon mentioned in the description of the Heart of the Mine in Archendale. This dragon was killed by another blue dragon some time ago.

There is also mention made that a shadow dragon (referred to previously by the esteemed scribe Tauster) resides in the Thunder Peaks and that there is a standing bounty on one of its eyes. It is mentioned as she is an elderly great wyrm, rather than a dracolich.

*sigh* Now I have some reading to do tonight because this just won't do. I'll try to come up with a more definitive answer after I scour my basement for books and magazines.
tauster Posted - 17 Feb 2005 : 18:31:37
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Hrm, I thought Thunderholme was the abode of a blue dracolich... but as always, I may be wrong.

you´re wrong, i´m afraid: aurgloroasa "the sibilant shadow" is, as it´s (formerly "her") moniker foreshad... hints at, a shadow dragon. and as this wasn´t bad enough, an dracolich on top of that!

more information about it (i refuse to call the beast "her") can be found at the 2e accessory "the cult of the dragon".
hammer of Moradin Posted - 17 Feb 2005 : 08:43:32
I checked all of my quick sources, and I came up with the same thing as Surly. I know I've run across something, but I can't find anything now.
Ty Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 14:28:23
Hrm, I thought Thunderholme was the abode of a blue dracolich... but as always, I may be wrong.

On a side note, I've been reading a bit on Underdark and Dwarves Deep and I've noticed that apparently the dwarven realm of Oghraunn included parts of the Storm Horns. Perhaps our dwarves of the Thunderpeaks are related kin of the dwarves of Oghraunn, maybe even a splinter group? Okay, enough speculation right now since I have no definitive answers for you. Just idle thoughts.
Surly Dwarf Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 09:36:00
There is a mention, In Dwarves Deep, of a Dwarf named Helarn Hammerblood the Younger who comes from The Black Peak, near High Dale in the Thunderpeaks. It does not say if it is just an area or a clan hold though.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000