Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Other than The Dalereckoning.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sylrae Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 08:03:42
Im running a campaign right now where the pcs are going to have to go back to the height of myth drannor eventually, maybe earlier. I found a second edition book to get some inf out of. but i need to know if there are any other calendars that actually have details, or do I have to make up my own elven calendar. Also, I need to know, is there somewhere i can get official town and city maps for faerun? or do I just make up the maps. Predesigned maps would be better as I'm trying to be as accurate with all official content as possible. also for all intensive purposes of the game, NWN and Baldurs gate are also considered historically accurate, as well as various novels. I have an upgraded timeline. Anyways, I need to find an elven calendar and hopefully the maps of a few towns to cut down on design time a bit, they all want me to run the game 2 times a week now, so im gonna need official supplements, or even fan made lol. Thanks. Im gonna post the basic concept of my plot line in a different post to get some input, maybe see what you guys all think. thx
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Oct 2020 : 02:45:14
Master Schend,

per mio comando risorgi te!

I'm really digging into the Elven calendar (which doesn't exist, I know), and in referencing the issue in searches, I've come to discover upon reading about Uvaeren, that it's founding is back at -8200 DR. I wanted to ask a question about why you selected that time as being,

quote:
a good benchmark and starter for an exclusively elven calendar.
and why
quote:
it's still considered the highwater mark of historical understanding and lore and research among the elves and they might just have a calendar that honors that realm long after its fall.

In looking back through the GHotR, it appears that in,
quote:
–18800 DR Establishment of the first elf settlements of Miyeritar (present-day High Moor and Misty Forest) by green and dark elves due to political differences with the gold elves of Aryvandaar.
might be a better selection as the reference to political differences indicates that they had a robust society at that time, though, I am only hypothesizing.

What are your thoughts on that? Do you feel that is a better time to select even in consideration of Uvaeren, or to stick with Uvaeren?

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 22:52:40
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Berdusk, Asbravm, Hluthvar, Tilverton(no longer W-Hlands). to name a few. If you can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thx
~Sylrae

Okay, of the top of my head, I know that Tilverton and Berdusk both had maps in the old Forgotten Realms Adventures, though those maps weren't great. Tilverton was slightly more detailed in the printed version of the Forgotten Realms Atlas.

As for the other two, I'll have to get back to you in a couple days, assuming no one else does. My girlfriend (who is, sadly, not a Realms fan) is planning on taking up much of my time.
Sylrae Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 20:32:58
Im getting some good feedback, and I appreciate the dates to start with. But more specifically I mean to replace to calendar of Harptos with another because they will be going back to the arcane age. so I figure I need a different set of months and holidays, and possibly a different number of days in a year.

Kind of like in real life. Our calendar is based on the roman one which had 365 days, but that didnt include leap years. However the jewish people still use a different calendar, which is based on the moon. Same with arabic people. Their years are of a different length, as are their months.

I'm starting to think there may not actually be one that is official and i may have to make one from scratch.

If anyone can help me out with this one thanks. otherwise, Ill build the calendar from scratch and use an important elven date as a start.

Im also compiling a more complete timeline than the ones found in the books and this other one i found which includes novels. Im adding all of them together and tada!

Also including Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter nights dates when I'm done if i can find a timeline for that. They will be noted as the sources for those dates.

Thanks.

~Sylrae
Steven Schend Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 20:14:11
If your campaign is elven based as you noted, I'd suggest taking the founding date of either the Rule Tower of Cormanthor or the founding of Uvaeren (and I'd go with the latter myself) as a good benchmark and starter for an exclusively elven calendar. Even if Uvaeren no longer exists at the time of your campaign, it's still considered the highwater mark of historical understanding and lore and research among the elves and they might just have a calendar that honors that realm long after its fall.

Steven
Who never realized that the idea of Uvaerenni crystalline lore storage was so prevalent before or after the fact but got reminded of it while watching both Stargate SG1 and Superman-The Movie recently.....
Sylrae Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 19:43:37
Berdusk, Asbravm, Hluthvar, Tilverton(no longer W-Hlands). to name a few. If you can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thx
~Sylrae
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 17:08:56
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

I'm mostly looking for western heartland stuff, in the game i didnt know the size or anything of the city theystarted in, greenest, and later figured out it was considerably smaller than my map with considerable less citizens. I realize I can change what i want, but when possible i prefer to use official materials, regardless of age as source material. Thanks for the examples Ill check it out

If you could name the particular city or cities, we could narrow down your search.
Kentinal Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 16:49:37
I found on web two others, realms based.

Cormyr Reckoning (CR)
Northreckoning (NR)

" Dalereckoning is taken from the year that humans were first permitted by the Elven Court to settle the more open regions of the forest. In some texts, primarily those that have no direct ties to the Dales or its history, Dalereckoning is called Freeman's Reckoning (FR)."

" Cormyr Reckoning begins at the foundation of House Obarskyr, the dynasty that still rules the kingdom of Cormyr. 1 DR is equal to -25 CR."

" Northreckoning dates from the year Ahghairon became the first Lord of Waterdeep. 1 DR is equivalent to -1032 NR."

It should be noted there is the claim DR "has been reconciled to the ancient elven calendar" Of which I can find no information. I would think one calander would have been started with the Founding of the Elven Court after the Desect of the Drow. There almost certainly were founding calendars of each of the Elven Empires as well, however I suspect those fail out of use by the end of the Crown Wars (as the Empires were no longer Empires).

Sylrae Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 16:12:34
I see, ok. umm for the other calendar(s), The reason I was asking is well, it says in Cormanthyr Empire of Elves, (2nd ed.) it points out that the dalereckoning is a uman calendar, and the elves rarely if ever use it. I'm mostly looking for western heartland stuff, in the game i didnt know the size or anything of the city theystarted in, greenest, and later figured out it was considerably smaller than my map with considerable less citizens. I realize I can change what i want, but when possible i prefer to use official materials, regardless of age as source material. Thanks for the examples Ill check it out

I hope I can find the stats on an elven calendar so I can convert all the important dates over when they have to go back in time and get stuck there
thx Wolly I appreciate it
~Sylrae
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 15:16:33
What towns are you looking for maps of? There's a great many Realms resources out there that include maps... Most of the regional sourcebooks do, some of the boxed sets had maps of cities, there's the print Forgotten Realms Atlas and the Interactive Forgotten Realms Atlas, the old Forgotten Realms Adventures had a lot of maps...

Of the top of my head, I'm not recalling any elven calendars, but I could be mistaken.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000