Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 16 Nov 2004 : 10:49:42
Well met

With the, albeit distant, upcoming release of the new Waterdeep tome, please pen any questions to the author, Eric L Boyd, within this scroll.

Welcome Eric For my first question, could you please tell us the format of the 'tour' of the city? I assume that there will be individual chapters for each city ward? Will maps be included as part of the chapter, or will a poster map be produced for the product?

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ericlboyd Posted - 13 Sep 2006 : 14:49:53
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

In the turnover, he did have a stat block just like Trobriand. I'll leave it to Eric to decide whether he wants that info published.

-- George Krashos

well thats good news and hopefully Eric will be able to share (I wonder how many other CoS NPCs where fully stated but never saw the light of day...)

Unfortunately, I'm not supposed to share cut bits, except as part of a WoTC product (e.g. web enhancement, another product, etc.).
This was a weird one anyway.

His stat block has a weird history anyway. Going from memory, originally, I made him a tauric cildabrin and did a cildabrin write-up in the Monster section (for that reason only). Then he got cut for lack of space (along with the cildabrin write-up, which didn't really belong in CoS:W anyway.) Then Lords of Madness (developed concurrently) came out with a cildabrin just as we were finishing up CoS:W, but Muiral remained a tauric scorpion, as the CR in LoM was too high to make a him a reasonable character with all the classes I felt he deserved. (My version had a much lower CR.)

I'll see if I can work it in someday, but no promises, as I'll probably have to redo him from scratch.

--Eric
Dargoth Posted - 13 Sep 2006 : 14:04:31
quote:

In the turnover, he did have a stat block just like Trobriand. I'll leave it to Eric to decide whether he wants that info published.

-- George Krashos

well thats good news and hopefully Eric will be able to share (I wonder how many other CoS NPCs where fully stated but never saw the light of day...)
George Krashos Posted - 13 Sep 2006 : 13:42:07

-- George Krashos
Dargoth Posted - 13 Sep 2006 : 10:35:26
quote:

Umm, what do you mean by "full stat block". I don't have the book in front of me right now, but the turnover had his stat block. Mind you there's a feast of information that didn't make the cut - it's now in the, as Tom Costa so eloquently put it, "City of Splendors Director's Cuts" file. (Some of which has turned up in DoF).

-- George Krashos

"The Full stat block" is what Trobriand got, Muiral the Misshapen only got the name/alignment/race/class stats
George Krashos Posted - 13 Sep 2006 : 08:18:56
Umm, what do you mean by "full stat block". I don't have the book in front of me right now, but the turnover had his stat block. Mind you there's a feast of information that didn't make the cut - it's now in the, as Tom Costa so eloquently put it, "City of Splendors Director's Cuts" file. (Some of which has turned up in DoF).

-- George Krashos
Dargoth Posted - 13 Sep 2006 : 07:52:12
Hey Eric

Did you create a full stat block for Muiral the Misshapen for City of Splendors?

If so any chance you could post them?

The Sage Posted - 09 Sep 2006 : 05:04:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I think the 1e/2e sourcebooks listed Mistmaster as a cleric of Leira. Maybe he switched to Deneir, rather than worship Cyric?

The problem is his alignments illigal for a cleric of Deneir (Unless he has the Heretic of the Faith feat)

Alignments in 2e allowed Deneir to have CN divine spellcasters.

Maybe one of the writers, perhaps Eric, allowed this to be carried over into 3e and reflected in CoS:W

EDIT: This blasted forum error is causing a long delay in forum replies.
Kuje Posted - 09 Sep 2006 : 04:59:10
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

What was the Mistmaster's 1e/2e alignment?

CG. :)
Archwizard Posted - 09 Sep 2006 : 04:51:43
What was the Mistmaster's 1e/2e alignment?
Kuje Posted - 09 Sep 2006 : 01:29:12
or 4) Eric, or whomever, kept the 1e and 2e deity alignments which allowed Deneir to have CN divine casters. :)
Dargoth Posted - 09 Sep 2006 : 01:18:14
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I think the 1e/2e sourcebooks listed Mistmaster as a cleric of Leira. Maybe he switched to Deneir, rather than worship Cyric?

The problem is his alignments illigal for a cleric of Deneir (Unless he has the Heretic of the Faith feat)
Asgetrion Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 23:30:01
Dargoth Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 16:59:25
Just noticed something rather odd in the Tel Teukiira write up on page 76 of CoS it has The Mistmaster listed as a CN 9 cleric of Deneir/ 16th Illusionist. Which creates a problem as Deneir is NG and the Mistmasters alignment is more than 1 step away from it

This can be resolved in a number of ways

1) The Mistmaster alignment should be CG instead of CN (making him legal)

2) The Mistmasters alignment is correct and he has the Heretic of the Faith feat

3) The Mistmasters alignment is correct but the god should be Leira (given his other class this might be apporiate)and he has the Servent of the Fallen feat
Faraer Posted - 21 Jul 2006 : 22:48:30
I recommend reading the original write-up before Joseph Wolf's Skullport book: "Seeing the Sights in Skullport" in Dragon #172, largely reprinted in City of Splendors (1994).
kaeso Posted - 21 Jul 2006 : 22:32:10
awesome, I'll save that name on my list of books to buy, and download it offline when I'm old enough for a credit card- no saracasm intended, just 2 more months! Thanks again for the title
Jorkens Posted - 21 Jul 2006 : 05:09:29
There is a late 2ed (almost ruleless)source-book called Skullport that details the port pretty thoroughly. My memory is a bit faulty, but I seem to remember there being a hidden entrance at sea level and a river inside the mountain that led up to the town itself. As to how the town works, there we get to the fun subject of the Skulls.
kaeso Posted - 21 Jul 2006 : 02:11:11
So... how does Skullport work? I'm not quite sure I understand how a port can be under Mount Waterdeep. Does it connect to the Underdark? Do surface vessels go to it? If so, how do they get that far down?
kaeso Posted - 15 Jul 2006 : 20:43:51
Does anyone know if a City of Splendors: Waterdeep wallpaper will ever be made? I love the artwork that stretches front to back, yet I can't manage to find the entire piece anywhere. I was hoping that at least I could find that and just use what I could for a wallpaper.
kaeso Posted - 15 Jul 2006 : 05:03:32
Oh well, he's still awesome
Reefy Posted - 15 Jul 2006 : 01:36:54
That said, he was definitely what one may classify as a 'dude'.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jul 2006 : 00:04:54
quote:
Originally posted by kaeso

I know I'm a little late... but I'm new to the Realms, and I just bought CoS:W. It is... AMAZING!!! I've only read the first chapter, but it was excellent. I can't wait to read the rest! Oh, and the Web Enhancements sure are nice to have! I think I have a new hero- are there any novels, sourcebooks, or adventures involving Ahghairon in any way?

Not really. He's been dead for quite some time, and WotC prefers to stick to the present, when it comes to Realms stuff.
kaeso Posted - 14 Jul 2006 : 23:33:27
I know I'm a little late... but I'm new to the Realms, and I just bought CoS:W. It is... AMAZING!!! I've only read the first chapter, but it was excellent. I can't wait to read the rest! Oh, and the Web Enhancements sure are nice to have! I think I have a new hero- are there any novels, sourcebooks, or adventures involving Ahghairon in any way?
Dhomal Posted - 08 Jun 2006 : 06:00:34
Hello-

Well - it wont be the last time I'm wrong.

Also - I was almost 100% positive that the file size was different. Now - it was not Much of a difference - I think 16 vs. 116.4 or so - but thats what I based it off of mostly.

Oh well - no biggie.

Dhomal
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jun 2006 : 05:51:27
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Seems like, tucked under the new FR downloadable maps - is a new Web Enhancement - Environs of Waterdeep. I looked at the name of the one mentioned about a month ago - and it was different - the excerpt mentionaing Ardeep - and the file size was slightly different - so it seems to me like it would be new.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20060607a

Dhomal

I believe you are mistaken... The web enhancement is the long-awaited (and near-mythical!) second web enhancement for the City of Splendors: Waterdeep book, the same one mentioned a month ago. I just downloaded the one on the map page and checked it against the previously downloaded version, and they appear to be the same. The file size is the same, the date of modification is the same, the page count is the same... I checked a couple of entries, and the column breaks happened at exactly the same point...
Dhomal Posted - 08 Jun 2006 : 05:11:19
Hello-

Seems like, tucked under the new FR downloadable maps - is a new Web Enhancement - Environs of Waterdeep. I looked at the name of the one mentioned about a month ago - and it was different - the excerpt mentionaing Ardeep - and the file size was slightly different - so it seems to me like it would be new.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20060607a

Dhomal
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 May 2006 : 11:12:33
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I've prepared a version of Eric's "Environs of Waterdeep" web expansion with the colour backgrounds removed for easier black & white printing. Send me a private message if you're interested.

I just print to grayscale.
Faraer Posted - 08 May 2006 : 08:10:53
I've prepared a version of Eric's "Environs of Waterdeep" web expansion with the colour backgrounds removed for easier black & white printing. Send me a private message if you're interested.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 May 2006 : 16:39:43
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Hmm...somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time we get 3rd edition stats for Priam Agrivar?

I believe it's the first time he's even been mentioned in 3E, though Dwalimar Omen and the Realms Master are mentioned in the 3E Shining South.

More validation of the comics.

And I am now correcting myself. Priam is mentioned (and given the same short stats) on page 87 of City of Splendors: Waterdeep. It's in the entry about his half-sister, Kyri.

Yeah, I thought about giving him levels in drunken master, FWIW.

--Eric

I don't think that would have fit. He never did much of anything while drunk.
ericlboyd Posted - 06 May 2006 : 15:12:35
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmm...somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time we get 3rd edition stats for Priam Agrivar?

I believe it's the first time he's even been mentioned in 3E, though Dwalimar Omen and the Realms Master are mentioned in the 3E Shining South.

And I am now correcting myself. Priam is mentioned (and given the same short stats) on page 87 of City of Splendors: Waterdeep. It's in the entry about his half-sister, Kyri.

--Eric
ericlboyd Posted - 06 May 2006 : 15:10:03
quote:

quote:

quote:

--Eric

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000