Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 drivethrurpg.com??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SirUrza Posted - 07 Jan 2005 : 18:44:44
Have they always offered WOTC pdfs on all products or what? I didn't realize Wizards was into that.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 07:18:27
Ah.

One of the more detailed D&D monster tomes. A worthy purchase for anyone looking for a few spicy planar critters to drop into their campaigns.
SiriusBlack Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 05:34:34
The Fiend Folio is now available at this vendor.
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 17:32:17
ENWorld reported the following today:

quote:

Charles Ryan of Wizards of the Coast posted the following on its plans to release more products in electronic format in the future (thanks to MerricB for the scoop):

We're taking a look at this product format to gauge the level of interest. We'll release a few additional titles, new and old--keep your eye on DriveThruRPG over the next few months--but we aren't quite at the point where we're bringing out the entire catalog. Depending on how things go, we might do so in the not-too-distant future.

My level of interest would increase if the PDF came out at the same time as the print book. There is still a delay from what I've seen between the two formats.
SiriusBlack Posted - 05 Feb 2005 : 16:27:14
The following was posted at ENWorld yesterday:

quote:

Wizards of the Coast has released Deities and Demigods (the 3rd Edition version) in electronic format at DriveThruRPG. To date WotC has released four 3rd Edition books as PDFs.

SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Jan 2005 : 05:30:00
Some news from this vendor on formats they now offer.
warlockco Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 20:17:39
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

What is Lords of Madness? I don't recall ever hearing of that product.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/177410000

"Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations

Dungeons & Dragons Accessory Richard Baker, James Jacobs, Steve Winter

Unnatural Creatures of Unspeakable Evil"

Ah okay thanks, didn't realize the Aberration book was being called Lords of Madness.
Kentinal Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 13:52:48
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/177410000

"Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations

Dungeons & Dragons Accessory Richard Baker, James Jacobs, Steve Winter

Unnatural Creatures of Unspeakable Evil"
warlockco Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 12:38:32
SiriusBlack Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 06:05:40
quote:
That said other requirements of the site, a MS passport and using I.E. 5.x or higher do deter me from doing any business with that site.

I recall some issues being raised with the site's requirments when this vendor first began offering PDF products.
Kentinal Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 05:20:27
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I would tend to be surprised as well, please though keep us advised.

Well, a quick check shows that Complete Adventurer is listed at $29.95 at DriveThrurpg.com. Thus, it's the same, retail price as the hardcover.

*nods* Iam not surprised.

Did some more exploring of the site, alas the FAQ does not answer all my questions. I also recall that WotC had problems selling their PRDs in other countries, I could not find you if drivethrurpg.com had a wider distribution. If so of course WotC can achieve advantage by reaching other nations.
That said other requirements of the site, a MS passport and using I.E. 5.x or higher do deter me from doing any business with that site.
SiriusBlack Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 04:40:01
quote:

Well, a quick check shows that Complete Adventurer is listed at $29.95 at DriveThrurpg.com. Thus, it's the same, retail price as the hardcover.
Kentinal Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 04:33:37
Err need to corect name, it was Ryan S. Dancey

Tried to pull up a URL for some threads, however the "new" Usenet search provides extremely long URLs. If interested further look for "TSR warehouse"
Bookwyrm Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 04:08:36
Now that's an odd policy. I wonder if they want to make certain that people don't skip buying them right away and wait for a "sale"? It's the only reason I can think of to do that.
Kentinal Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 03:31:00
quote:

quote:
Interesting. I wonder if the new offerings will be at a reduced cost.

I'll have to check them out as they are released. However, I'll be very surprised if there is any reduction in price as that has not been WOTC's policy up to this point.

I do recall Jim Ryan, Brand Manager at the time IIRC, annouced the discovery of warehouse modules. They were offered at retail price and those not sold within a set time period were to be recycled. In answer to a querry about what not using a dutch auction with a minimun , the answer was the policy of WotC was to charge list price or (in effect) trash them.
SiriusBlack Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 02:41:23
quote:

I'll have to check them out as they are released. However, I'll be very surprised if there is any reduction in price as that has not been WOTC's policy up to this point.
SirUrza Posted - 13 Jan 2005 : 23:53:10
Interesting, I wonder if those'll be cheaper.
Kentinal Posted - 13 Jan 2005 : 23:01:57
quote:

I found the following at GamingReport.com today:

SiriusBlack Posted - 13 Jan 2005 : 22:50:24
I found the following at GamingReport.com today:

quote:

DriveThruRPG.com announced today that Wizards of the Coast has agreed to broaden the selection of its Dungeons & Dragons® titles available as e-books on www.DriveThruRPG.com . This decision follows the successful trial of Wizard’s Frostburn title on DriveThruRPG last November.

"Our initial e-book trial with Frostburn on DriveThruRPG was very successful. We are proceeding

to the next step of offering additional titles and more new releases in e-book format," said Charles Ryan, Brand Manager for Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast.

"We’re pleased to extend our partnership with Wizards as they, like all book publishers around the world, continue to explore the possibilities of the digital format for books," said Steve Wieck of DriveThruRPG.com.

Wizards has already released Races of Destiny on DriveThruRPG and will continue to extend its e-book program by offering the following titles over the next few months:

Complete Adventurer (available today)
Deities & Demigods (Jan. 24th)
Complete Warrior (Feb. 14th)
Fiend Folio (March 14th)
Lords of Madness (April 11th)

With the ability to search for specific rule text, to cut and paste passages onto character sheets or adventure notes, or to take an entire RPG collection with you to the gaming table, the e-book format has become increasingly popular with gaming fans as an adjunct to the traditional printed format.

Wizards of the Coast joins other leading roleplaying game companies such as White Wolf, AEG, Arthaus, Chaosium, Dream Pod 9, Eden Studios, Fantasy Flight Games, Fan Pro, GDW, Guardians of Order, Holistic Design, Malhavoc Press, Mongoose Publishing, Necromancer Games, Pinnacle Entertainment and dozens of other leading publishers of new and classic RPGs whose RPG products are available digitally on http://www.DriveThruRPG.com.

SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 18:28:31
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Gentlemen, we have strayed a bit from the topic... Perhaps we could discontinue our wayward journey?

Well, I tried humor. You tried being direct. Nice attempt there WR.
SirUrza Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 17:14:25
quote:

Gentlemen, we have strayed a bit from the topic... Perhaps we could discontinue our wayward journey?

Hey, it's my topic, I'll go off topic when I want to! :)

On that note...

quote:

quote:
If your job isn't paying you enough or you don't have on, don't complain, do something about it.

Oh I could blane this on policy of goverment or could explain on how the needed work I do makes minor things like upgrades an extreme luxery, however it appears that you believe that everyone can have what you considered basic needs that I will not even try.
You do understand that not every one lives in the USA, Japan or Canada, right?

Like I said, if your job doesn't pay enough, don't complain about others. I don't know what you do, don't really care what you do. Fact is, your rich comment was a wee bit unnecessary and didn't ping of any good nature.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 00:51:11
SiriusBlack Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 21:19:16
quote:

They don't?
Kentinal Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 21:09:48
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Nice to be rich, I did noticed you did not comment on Table Top play by candle, though the printouts certainly provide hard copy useable. Then heat/light later ;-)

Rich? Laser printers are $100 these days on the right week.

Perhaps where you live.
quote:

Dvd drivers are $40 on the right week.

Perhaps where you live.
quote:

1gig flash drive are $40 on the right week.

Prehaps where you live.

quote:

You don't need to be rich, you need to know how to budget your money and read the sunday newspaper.
[/qoute]
You can get a Sunday paper? You certainly are living high on the hog.

[quote]

If your job isn't paying you enough or you don't have on, don't complain, do something about it.

Oh I could blane this on policy of goverment or could explain on how the needed work I do makes minor things like upgrades an extreme luxery, however it appears that you believe that everyone can have what you considered basic needs that I will not even try.
SirUrza Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 20:48:56
quote:

Nice to be rich, I did noticed you did not comment on Table Top play by candle, though the printouts certainly provide hard copy useable. Then heat/light later ;-)

Rich? Laser printers are $100 these days on the right week.
Dvd drivers are $40 on the right week.
1gig flash drive are $40 on the right week.

You don't need to be rich, you need to know how to budget your money and read the sunday newspaper.

BTW, I work PART TIME, go to college, have a car, and pay for my own car insurence. If I can afford computer parts, dungeons & dragons, a car, school, and a few other hobbies, I'm sure others can too.

warlockco Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 06:10:05
quote:

quote:
You know, that was what I liked about the idea with the original Monstrous Compendiums: put the entries in a three-ring binder, and then, at game time, you simply grabbed the ones you needed. Obviously, though, I was the only one who liked that concept...

You're not, one of my gamers feels the same way. No doubt you and her would get along.

Tis good at times.
At last count I have almost 100 or so Prestige Classes typed up as Word Documents, this way I don't have to lug around every single damn book for the PrCs. In a very slow process of doing all the magical items.
I also have a 30 or so page file of "common" spells that I use for my cleric. My cleric has Anyspell, and Greater Anyspell, so have a bunch of wizard spells in that list also.

Yeah, all the data entry does get wearing, but when it saves my back by not having to drag along 20 books instead of 5, I'm willing to do it. Plus with the the PrCs documented up, all I have to do is throw a binder in the middle of the table and let my players know that is what they can choose from for PrCs, anything not there they need to ask about.
SiriusBlack Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 05:31:28
quote:
You know, that was what I liked about the idea with the original Monstrous Compendiums: put the entries in a three-ring binder, and then, at game time, you simply grabbed the ones you needed. Obviously, though, I was the only one who liked that concept...

You're not, one of my gamers feels the same way. No doubt you and her would get along.
Bookwyrm Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 04:49:14
You don't need to be "rich" to do that (though I understand some people see the world as a class warfare issue). Also, if you have a laptop that doesn't have a battery that can last at least four hours viewing PDFs on the lowest light setting, you've got a computer that isn't quite portable enough. Even a two-hour battery could be temporarily put in sleep mode to save power when not being used.

That should answer your hypothetical.
Kentinal Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 02:51:23
quote:

I have a laser printer, so at 3 cents a page, it's cheap at twice the price. As for "data corruption" not a problem either. I have all my PDFs on the computer, the ones I need to carry with me on flash drive, and everything backed up on 5 CDs (and now 2 dvds.) :)

SirUrza Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 02:43:23
quote:

There is a trade off, yes selective printing is nice as well as using laps tops and/or portable disks/drives to access files. There however is also personal cost of printing for selected hard copy and woe to any computer that gets corrupted files. Sometimes thee can be situational problems as well, like battery going dead or power outage. You can play table top by candlelight, it can get very hard to play comupter assisted table top with just candle light available as power source. ;-)

I have a laser printer, so at 3 cents a page, it's cheap at twice the price. As for "data corruption" not a problem either. I have all my PDFs on the computer, the ones I need to carry with me on flash drive, and everything backed up on 5 CDs (and now 2 dvds.) :)
Kentinal Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 02:29:37
quote:

quote:

Everything as a hardcover is just getting kinda ridiculous, it really doesn't make them better products IMHO.

I'd prefer stuff to be softback, but so long as they're going to charge us $30+ per book, then it better be hardcover.

Well I have the Monstrous Compendiums floating about someplace, it certainly did provide flexiblity, but somebody steping on it made it harder to use effectively in taking and removing pages.

As for prices of books, there can be quanity and quality that are factors.

48 pages for 7.00 is easier to purchase. A book with 240 pages would price out at 35.00. A hard cover might cost 1.00 more in production costs, but then add on shiping costs, space costs and so on. The WotC unit has to make a profit, TSR was verge of banrupcy (from what indications I saw) before being taken over by WotC. Hasbro is more certain to look at line profit then WotC was, WotC was willing to cost nuetral the PHB to build up product support.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000