Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaign Diary - I Want your Two Cents

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 04 Jan 2005 : 04:27:00
I thought id keep a campaign diary on the forum, get some feed back and maybe some hints from some of you more experianced scribes on what may be a good course of action for the future of it...

First alittle back ground. Ive run a couple campaigns in my own settings before. i was creative at a time, but in the end i sucame to the Brilliance of FR (which i only learnt abotu through the underdark book). Since then i have begun my Players as Races of the underdark in the city of menzoberranzan.

The players number only a mere 3, but that could soon increase to 5 in the coming months. they are a Grimlock Barbarian, aptly named "Stoneface of the Runners". A Drow Cleric of Selvetarm named "Malakor" - A Survivor from the disaster at Ched'nasad. And lastly a Kuo-Toan Sorcerer named "Ploop Dropinabigpond".

I think i started the campaign off well enough in the Eastmyr District of Menzoberranzan where they went to a tavern called the star under dark and spoke to a broken drow merchant who's buisness was ransaked after a failure to deliver on merchandise to a powerful house. Ploop also ran into a Kuo-toan preistess and tried to chat up some info out of her. All the while Stone Face was having a meal of local Sausage (he didnt ask what it was made of) and a half a dozen Mugs of Kulg at the bar. Malakor Tried to get in good with the Male drow Gaurds. But was Aptly Snubbed for being an out-of-towner. in general, They left the tavern rather intoxicated but well fed, but accidently wondered into the Brayern where they got split up. Ploop wondered off on his own and ended up in Dongarten, while Malk and Stony Ended up being assailed by 3 desperate bugbears.

Now heres where i think i messed up. Monsterous Levels from the Grimlock player made a CR encounter Far to easy for even 2 of the groups members. Combined with High armor classes. My level one party mauled 2 of the bugbears while the third ran for his life. getting 300 experiance a peice, while ploop got non because he willingly wanted to nick off elsewhere (he wanted an encounter for himself so he could benefit from great experiance gain).

After all this they retired to the Shadow of Narbondell ( an inn in eastmyr ) and rested in "Royal" Lodging (Recovering most of the lost hp from the brawl in the brayern)

The next day they went to the market and sold an amythist that Stoneface had found. Then they went to investigate why the merchandise didnt arive. They followed the lead all the way to a missing shipment of Nails supposed to arive from, Dodgilly enough, a Tribe of Kobolds who lived in the volcanic region to the east of Menzoberranzan. Traveling one day outside town before taking a concealed portal to the Gorge where the kobolds lived went without encounter. And pretty soon they were lifting porticulouses, being shot at and falling down pit traps. The Kobolds were all infact Dead and most had been transmuted into Ghouls Via a hideous Disease called Gravrot (i borrowed this mission from a website, but had to convert it from Second editition to third using the FR help site)

Anyway, After that mission i realised i have several Gaps in my knowledge i would emplore you great Scribes to fill for me with your two cents.

- I would Greatly Apreciate maybe hearing alittle of anyone elses campaign stories so maybe i could learn a thing or two
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 25 Jan 2005 : 18:03:20
quote:
Originally posted by Fend Of Greathold

:) yeah i am having fun - however my PC's have no feelings whatsoever for any NPC, commoner, gaurd they encounter. to them , they are completely and totally expendable. their deaths will have little impact on themselves and will possibly serve to back me into a Dming corner - not knowing what to do next.
[/quote}

You need to be starter then the players. Those guards that rode away, should return soon with 10 to 20 more, with Wizard and Cleric as part of the group. They should be higher levels as well. The players are trying to force you off the map from the sound of it. Have off the map plans. Pointing them North with the NPC and they decide to go East they find a Dragon lair, an old Dragon, They go East they find marsh and qucksand, they go South they find a nation of Orcs. Develpe essentially randon ecounters and events that should discourage them to continue in that direction. Yes I know it takes time and depending on type of encounter they need to get added to the map, a problem that after gaining some levels might actually be able to defeat (like the Orc civilization or the Dragon) in the future, others can be wandering monsters, first in smaller bands, but if continue off the map run into larger bands.

Rolf says, "They must be a city of them somewhere in that direction, but we are not strong enough to approch it. Those last 10 trolls nearly killed us. I for one do not want to meet 15. I say let us go North and away from this vile place"

This type of thing, at least yet might not require a city, in fact in might be a one time migation of a few hundred trolls seekin a new home. That in a moth or two no trolls will be found in the area. Not all encounters need to be deadly or combat, however you appear that most are willing to fight first rather then talk.
You can also try to put them in situations where combat is the wrong answer, something that requires skills, tactics and planing. Perhaps a place where all metal is heated, removing use of most weapons and armor or perhaps an enchacted place where each point of vilocence inflicted resuts in the PC taking two points of damage ( magical warded place against viloence. The foes encountered would only use non damaging attacks (or perhaps indirect effects, such as traps, illusion, non trageted area effect (eathquake as oposed to fireball).
Ideas to consider, however it has to be stories that they will enjoy playing. If they want to hack and slash the rewards will be lower. The greater treasure and experience awards would have resulted from talking. After they finish the mission tell them too bad you killed George, if you had spoken with him he would have told you about how to find a +5 sword and you would have earned about 1/3 of experience points needed to gain a new level.

quote:

for example - this is how i make campaigns -

I put a story (or use a story) and stick mainly too one story line estimated from the players alighnment and generally do my best to heard them along it. however this can get linear. Or Quickly Degenerate into repeditive acts of benevolence when the party "really" wanna do some gutting. however, its unrealistic to set town gaurds to level 8 or higher just to keep the players in check.

The twon guards, depending on size of town should perhaps be level 4, however they certainly can call on reserves and as far as it goes even the citizens of the town as a militia. At the level the PCs will not get ex. pts. for killing level 1 however 200 level 1 can kill the party. The power of the guards is not thier level, it is in how many there are of them though out the realm. Also for crimes, the Baron would post a reward for their capture (if wanting to give them a trial) or for thier heads (having already been convicted by trail in absentia). There is a cost for being a criminal element. You know the realm and how much damage the realm can do to them. Also the NPCs based on alignment might decide to depart the party, least they become wanted criminals as well.

quote:

also, when Andril wanted to kill Omar right there and then on the side of the road by the tree's where they were bound - i panicked and decided - its time to muscle this back into my hands -

I took a Diplomacy DC for Omar and a Sense motive for Andril. Telling him that omar talked him out of killing him.

Is this right? or should the players be able to do concious actions without the aid of diplomacy?

The DM can roll for the players, most often is things like finding traps or secert doors when PCs have an inate ability, otherwise the player would need to roll each move, to speed the game along. Roll the dice often behind the screen and occasional say "Oh interesting" or "Oh that is a shame" when the dice rolls do not mean anyhing at all. To impose a player to sense motive is perhaps going a little too far, however outright hated of bards was going too far on the part of the players so in this case I would not believe you were wrong. How you described omar and how you played him, there was not good reason to want to murder him IMO.
quote:

Either way... i think my other players are imposing their hates and superstitions onto the newer players -

This is not good.
quote:

For instance - I was teaching my newer players to make their characters, and as an example i filled their inventories with things such as winterblankets, a cooking pot, silk rope, grappling hook, a potion of invisibility, tobacco leaves, Etc - anything they could use for RP potential. also i encouraged them to use whatever weapon they imagin they would wield. however...

my veteran characters overpowered me :P and said - Take the biggest weapons, the best armor, the Least inventory junk - go meta it rules.

What you might need to do here is first create characters one a one on one base, use weapon that makes sense for your character, before introducing the new PCs to the old ones. As they are already equiped the senior players will not be premitted to have inventory changed. The party in character can discuss the equipment that collectively they have. Perhaps try to convince the new PC to sell that short sword and buy a long sword. meta and/or power gaming should be discouraged. Another way to get those minor items useful is set up sitiations, where the pot or perhaps even a fishing hook is important. Yes I know more work for you, but it sounds like you desire to get that roleplay aspect more in the game and the only way to achieve this is by making rolls less important.
quote:

this annoys me. Also, what really annoys me is my parties Reluctance to Factor in encumberment. they dont calculate their inventorys, and i never have time to whip out a calculator and spend an hour researching just how much weight they are carrying.

You have two choices, tell them to provide inventory with correct values to you or you will treat all as being heavy loaded or take the time to calculate the numbers yourself. You if take the first option you still will need to scan the sheet to make sure the numbers are correct and added correctly.

quote:

also, there is a thin line between "killer dm" and "killer stupidity" - The players think that "the dragon combat should be easy because Fend works so hard to make the rest of the campaign, he wouldnt let us die" - Then go ahead, assaulting and killing an important Dragon who is spose to come back later for another plot - Is it just me or are my players completely dumb?

Well not educated enough, that player stupid does get PCs killed. You might have to kill them off from time to time. If party dies, have another adventure ready. Tell players that you might want to try something different and all should have ready a first level character ready to play in event campaign stalls for one reason or another.
You talked abot omar being killed would have ended your campaign,this is not always correct. Often what happens is a delay and another party and another bard, seeks recuits for a simalar mission. It can be very important to have many options available or be very good at adapting when players have thier PCs do some ill advised things. You might need to kill a few PCs , try to refain from killing players (even if you get the desire at times) over time you will have no players *wink*

[quote]

when is it a player cannot see when something has been put their for their benefit or amusment? - lets face it - If they were to kill of Omar it would have been a really short and boring night. yet they still wanted to? I think my players just dont have enough for site to tell when somthing is there for a reason.

:S Can you guys understand this?

Actually I can understand part of the players desire to resolve things quickly to get the reward, though have a hard time understanding why the PCs would want to kill off an NPC that might aid them. The players do need to respect that the PCs should be treated as an acting role. PCs do not care about hit points or experience points, what they care about is staying healthy and learning talents to better achieve thier goals.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 25 Jan 2005 : 16:39:38
:) yeah i am having fun - however my PC's have no feelings whatsoever for any NPC, commoner, gaurd they encounter. to them , they are completely and totally expendable. their deaths will have little impact on themselves and will possibly serve to back me into a Dming corner - not knowing what to do next.

for example - this is how i make campaigns -

I put a story (or use a story) and stick mainly too one story line estimated from the players alighnment and generally do my best to heard them along it. however this can get linear. Or Quickly Degenerate into repeditive acts of benevolence when the party "really" wanna do some gutting. however, its unrealistic to set town gaurds to level 8 or higher just to keep the players in check.

there for - when the players wanted to kill Omar with each and every scene with him - i didnt know what to do when they kept breaking the poor guys nose. I read he was a man of peace - who hated violence so i had him take the diplomatic, understanding why their angry aproach rather than the fight back and jepordise everything - especially in a room with several key NPC's present in a tavern which they will most likely be kicked out of for destroying.

also, when Andril wanted to kill Omar right there and then on the side of the road by the tree's where they were bound - i panicked and decided - its time to muscle this back into my hands -

I took a Diplomacy DC for Omar and a Sense motive for Andril. Telling him that omar talked him out of killing him.

Is this right? or should the players be able to do concious actions without the aid of diplomacy?

Either way... i think my other players are imposing their hates and superstitions onto the newer players -

For instance - I was teaching my newer players to make their characters, and as an example i filled their inventories with things such as winterblankets, a cooking pot, silk rope, grappling hook, a potion of invisibility, tobacco leaves, Etc - anything they could use for RP potential. also i encouraged them to use whatever weapon they imagin they would wield. however...

my veteran characters overpowered me :P and said - Take the biggest weapons, the best armor, the Least inventory junk - go meta it rules.

this annoys me. Also, what really annoys me is my parties Reluctance to Factor in encumberment. they dont calculate their inventorys, and i never have time to whip out a calculator and spend an hour researching just how much weight they are carrying.

also, there is a thin line between "killer dm" and "killer stupidity" - The players think that "the dragon combat should be easy because Fend works so hard to make the rest of the campaign, he wouldnt let us die" - Then go ahead, assaulting and killing an important Dragon who is spose to come back later for another plot - Is it just me or are my players completely dumb?

when is it a player cannot see when something has been put their for their benefit or amusment? - lets face it - If they were to kill of Omar it would have been a really short and boring night. yet they still wanted to? I think my players just dont have enough for site to tell when somthing is there for a reason.

:S Can you guys understand this?
Kentinal Posted - 25 Jan 2005 : 05:44:10
quote:

Now heres where Argument 1 occured. I said Bregor's Arm was broken and he would need to concentrate to heal himself. but he said i cant tell him his arm is broken. So then Andril attempted to heal him in the Lull of the argument and Bregor' just snapped and said FINE I WONT CAST ANY SPELLS THEN... in the end i just told him to have his frikking arm back. I hate it when the players Argue with god, but i wanted to keep the fun.

Too bad you can not use a 1st Edition bard , they would learn respect real quick. As to arm breaking, it does make some sense, however core rules does not used called shots or limb damage. Oh you can cot off an arm, leg or head with right weapon and rolls, just can not break them *wink*. The DM is god, but must be a benicial god. The arguement was not worth it, the game should proceed.
Nor can you require a player to heal their PC, if they want to walk around with one hit point and if deciding not heal so be it.

quote:

They fought a valient combat but they refused to just surrender. my party always seems to want to fight to win. or fight to the death... or somthing.

A common event, that some will stick with then blame the DM for being a killer DM. At least this time it was not fatal.

quote:

anyway, on the journey the party wanted to split up (they saw smoke off the path to the west) Tara and Andril just simply didnt want to help out. From Andril i can understand (hes Chaotic Neutral) but Tara is Neutral Good? Shoudl i make an Alignment ajustment if her behavior continues?

Well not yet alignment concern, however would be more concerned about party willing to split up at all. Seeing smoke does not mean somebody is in trouble. So not wanting to walking in the woods is not an alignment issue in this case. For all Tara knew it could have been a forest fire and did not want hair signed. Not an evil choice, at all
quote:

they came out of that combat with a new NPC - Keetha (a level 4 warrior). but im getting worried maybe too many NPC's in the party (Elan and Keetha) maybe to much of an EXP drain + elan took the pretty looking neclace from the orc cheif (Muhamid wants to kill her and take it now... but he is Chaotic good. should i penalise him?)

You might need the NPCs to keep the party good, but yes they can become experience point drain.
Kill for a necklace is not good, however desire (thinking about it) generally not enough and one needs to look at total picture. Not just one event , the whole picture should be looked at.
quote:

They eventually made it to kingsreach where they had a bar brawl with 6 Local Gaurds (Baron Ganth's men) and won taking no damage and killing 4 of them (the other 2 rode off shaking their fists). Tara did somthing especially chaotic - Grappling, pinning and Burning a hole in ones face with a Jar of Acid... should i take action and change her alignment? or make her suffer an XP penalty?

I would worry about the whole party for killing in a bar brawl, such combats are susposed to be (for most of the time) non fatal. This event as far as Tara goes using acid certainly memits alignment warning, at best, unless can explain why she did it in such a way that it appears consistant with declared alignment.
quote:

After this they gathered information about the mountain and i told them these rules about snow travel -

No metal armor
They must wear snowshoes but cannot run or charge in them
there is a high risk of hypothermia
there is a very real possilibily of death from exposure.

This is wear my party became sneaky however -They argued with me abotu the metal Armor thing. They said they could wear their Winter Cloths under their Armor to negate the rule. however, i broke out my iron fist and told them NO - It cannot be Done.

Let them wear the armor and impose cold damage, each day. Use fatique, make it hard to sleep. Increase travel time because the metal slows them down. I have an in game solution. Winter clothes, cloaks and the rest are designed to be worn out side the armor, the metal closer to the body, the metal sapping body heat. To do the reverse, the cold will contrat the metal and the extra padding they have under it to stay warm. This will cause preasure on the chest limiting the breathing ability. They will tire quicker, perhaps only able to travel 6 hours per day then 8. Try to present as reasonable arguement as they persent you. Oh it is posible the armor might even damage the winter clothes after a day or two. Actual scince does not apply and it does depend on type of metal, chain far more flexable then plate or other ridig metal armor.

quote:

What do you guys think?

Are you having fun?

I do think you have an alignment problemk, but if the players want to go more evil you just might have to make them chiminals, occassionally trying to get them to repent. Good luck.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 25 Jan 2005 : 04:22:41
ok. well i played my first game with 5 players. and i must say, it was indeed fun (they all brought funny hats and i wore a mad hatter hat) :P the wacky things we did do...

they began in a town called landover, there were 5 of them - Muhamid a human fighter,Tara a human sorceress, Andril a Dwarven fighter, Aramil an elven rouge and Bregor an Elven Cleric "agnostic"... i know, it with my head too.

Anyway. they all kicked off at level 3 and met up with the first NPC omar at the inn. now heres where problem 1 began. my Party... has a deep seeded Hatred for the bard class. they think they are the least manly class. and i cannot convince them to like bards... as a result they were Unfreindly and even threatened him with death (many wanted to kill him there and then) so it took alot of work from me to keep Omar alive.

anyway, he gave them their mission and they traveled with him for 2 hours north out of town to a Gorge. Now, heres where i began editing the campaign. I made it so they would have to Climb down a 50 foot drop to reach the cave. Tara Got worried about her climb skill, so i had Omar Knot her rope for her so she could climb easier. funnily enough her and everyone else made it down just fine - Until bregor failed and fell from the top of the rope down 50 feet landing on Tara. he took 19 damage from the fall and tara took 9 damage for being crushed.

Now heres where Argument 1 occured. I said Bregor's Arm was broken and he would need to concentrate to heal himself. but he said i cant tell him his arm is broken. So then Andril attempted to heal him in the Lull of the argument and Bregor' just snapped and said FINE I WONT CAST ANY SPELLS THEN... in the end i just told him to have his frikking arm back. I hate it when the players Argue with god, but i wanted to keep the fun.

Anyway. Aramil Scouted into the cave and discovered a manticore, hastily Retreating and warning everyone. I had Omar sing a Bardsong of Greatness directed towards Muhamid and Andril to win some hearts (they were his greatest haters) but they seemed ungreatful at the bards abilities.

the fight with the manticore ended in relitivly 4 turns with the party taking no damage and the manticore dieing a terrible terrible death (Muhamid and Andril both Scored Critical hits before Bregor charged in and finished the beast off).

They looted the cave, found there was no merchants hoard but found the mask which Tara then put on and discoverd its specialness. at this point Omar had a deathwish and fled from the cave where the party realised that a chimera had burnt the ropes up the cliff. luckily the party still had 2 unused Coils (and omar had one too) And they got back up 1 by one into combat with the chimera.

I showed no mercy. The chimera used its breathweapon often every few rounds and often aimed at the weakest and closest. Aramil Dissabled the Goat head with a Critical hit from his bow (called shot). Muhamid was Toasted and took the brunt of the attacks, ending up dieing in a near by tree where he was eventually flung. Tara and Andril Suffered a Breath attack (which almost killed Tara). Bregor didnt get into combat and neither did Omar (they were the last ones up the rope). In the end I Zapped the Chimera with a lightening bolt from The next NPC (charilus) and the players all scored attacks of opportunity as it stumbled off the cliff and fell into the gorge (effectivly giving them the Exp).

I then went into a linear phase for the next stage pretty much argueing out the role play between omar and charilus myself with a couple intergections from the party before heading them back to town - trying to give them the feeling omar felt really bad about using them.

They healed up in town, Went to the tavern and at a grand meal with charilus and omar and i told them all about the masks and what they had to do. however it was pretty linear anyway because the players really had no other choice but to agree - however, they did break omar's nose for lieing to them.

the next day i used a scared little boy to lure them into the forest (i love the word lure ) where i had them Mugged by a band of Level 7 NPC's and 15 level 2 fighters. They fought a valient combat but they refused to just surrender. my party always seems to want to fight to win. or fight to the death... or somthing. Example

during the loosing battle Muhamid was Sneak attacked and lay dieing (i had to "fluff" a stabalisation roll to save him) - Tara was bullrushed from her horse and then boot bashed into unconciousness - Bregor scored the only kill and cut a scar across the main NPC enemies face before being pounded into gooey Mush by the Oger NPC (though he was only unconcious from subduel) - Aramil was surrounded and bashed down to zero hp... where... Get this - instead of playing dead he Drew and Arrow and continued fighting back. i had to teach him a lesson by stabbing him to -8 hp. (though he stabalised naturally). Lastly, i cast hold person on Andril to immobalise him.

then i tied them all to the roadside trees and gave them an RP show from the NPC's. 1 bit i added myself was one of the NPC's (Marne) pulling out a pair of Clippers and Cutting off the Top half of Aramil's Ear (i wanted to make him hate her + she is psycotic) - also I stole the mask from them (as stated in the campaign).

Anyway. long story short - Omar Rescued them, though they didnt react freindly, they Actually chased him off with their weapons after he freed them. they went back to town. Charilus Blew his Stack at them. New NPC introduced, Charilus's Daughter Elan. She joined the party. Charilus tells party to head north to kingsreach to find the next mask. Party Sets out the next day on a 7 day journey to kings reach.

-----

As a Dm, i never really elaborated journeys too much... but this time i actually tried to creat a picture. :) i think im getting better at DMing now. but its still hard to manage a group of 5. I noticed that the 2 sitting closest too me Had the most fun. the ones beyond them didnt seem to connect with the NPC's on any level and the player at the end (muhamid) ended up not doing much conversation. i dno if this is a theory on player positioning but i plan to Rotate the seating next game.

------

anyway, on the journey the party wanted to split up (they saw smoke off the path to the west) Tara and Andril just simply didnt want to help out. From Andril i can understand (hes Chaotic Neutral) but Tara is Neutral Good? Shoudl i make an Alignment ajustment if her behavior continues?

anyway. Aramil, Bregor, Elan and Muhamid investigated and found 20 orcs and an Oger Looting a wagontrain. other than that another NPC was wrestling the oger (keetha) and the farmers were getting Gleefully butchered. Now, At this point Aramil was becoming rather intrigued with Elan because she has Comliness 14. so he was RPing to look after her. she charged into combat, took damage, fell to the ground whimpering and began Wrestling the orc cheif single handedly and he tried to save her , by charging with his Bow and Arrows into combat (but was held off by an orc with a glaive for 3 turns). luckily elan managed to survive. (meanwhile, Bregor and Muhamid were making light work of the 20 orcs and the oger with Sound burst and Cleave...)

they came out of that combat with a new NPC - Keetha (a level 4 warrior). but im getting worried maybe too many NPC's in the party (Elan and Keetha) maybe to much of an EXP drain + elan took the pretty looking neclace from the orc cheif (Muhamid wants to kill her and take it now... but he is Chaotic good. should i penalise him?)

They eventually made it to kingsreach where they had a bar brawl with 6 Local Gaurds (Baron Ganth's men) and won taking no damage and killing 4 of them (the other 2 rode off shaking their fists). Tara did somthing especially chaotic - Grappling, pinning and Burning a hole in ones face with a Jar of Acid... should i take action and change her alignment? or make her suffer an XP penalty?

After this they gathered information about the mountain and i told them these rules about snow travel -

No metal armor
They must wear snowshoes but cannot run or charge in them
there is a high risk of hypothermia
there is a very real possilibily of death from exposure.

This is wear my party became sneaky however -They argued with me abotu the metal Armor thing. They said they could wear their Winter Cloths under their Armor to negate the rule. however, i broke out my iron fist and told them NO - It cannot be Done. and they became all snotty and hissy fitty at me. Hell i was Tempted Not to Tell them anything and have them Go up and learn that metal armor = Death in the cold the hard way. :S grrr. Maybe i wont tell them anythign in future (a ranger told them about all this).

anyway. At the end of the whole Session - the party is preparing to travel into the mountains on a 3 day hike to a haunted cave. But im worried about the main NPC in the party - Elan - Because 3 of the 5 party members want to Deform her with Acid... (Led by Tara because she is jealous of Elan's 1 point more comliness) While the other 2 (protecting her because of her comliness - and playing their alignments) are willing to defend her with their lives. Aramil even Attacked Muhamid, (sneak attack with his bow) when he Tried to Grapple elan down.

SO thats Session 1.

What do you guys think?

Kentinal Posted - 18 Jan 2005 : 15:24:30
quote:

any hints you would care to give before i go walking off into this one kentinal?

So far does seem straight forward, only thing you might want to watch out for is the party members doing reseach on the masks. They might learn more about them too soon and not complete project or change focus of the mission. Either going against employer or try for the mage directly.
I would perpare for those posiblities.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 18 Jan 2005 : 15:10:29
mmm i know

I plan for this one to be fun - seeing as its pretty linear, and has a good plot (collecting Masks of power - under the influence of an evil mage from an extinct race who "wants" them to bring the masks back together - only they dno it and they are only collecting the masks for their own reasons (one of many of which 1 involves competition with another group and 2 being working for an NPC who's funding their journey)

It should be good - yes im quite aware of my role as a dm.

any hints you would care to give before i go walking off into this one kentinal?
Kentinal Posted - 18 Jan 2005 : 10:10:27
quote:

I hope this goes well. I convinced them to be good alignment (to control their spontanious urges).

I hope this goes well, but i read the campaign and it almost seems like suicide at some points - just the campaign i like ;) cause my players have a habit of surviving against all odds.

I plan to make Ressurection available as opposed to making a new char.

Good luck.

As for encounters you can tone down the ones that look too hard, they do provide less experience, however can save from using Ressurection too often. Also you can use encouter calculator to try to balance better. Remember your goal as DM is not to kill the PCs, it is to provide a game fun for all.

Fend Of Greathold Posted - 18 Jan 2005 : 08:29:40
Ok guys - Bad news - Ive shelved my Underdark campaign... possibly permanently. you were all right. this was Over my head.

Instead ive opted for the Mask Campaign on Dndadventure's Site.

Its an awsome campaign, and should give my players a genuin feel for role playing And even put the fear of nature into them.

Ive made these changes based on my players ...

Player Before Play Now
Barbarian Rouge - so he doesnt be so cocky.
Cleric Cleric - He wouldnt change...
Rouge Fighter - Hes not cocky. hell do this well.
NEW PlAYER Fighter - 2 Fighters is acceptable.
NEW PLAYER Sorceress - yes... i found a lady gamer.

I hope this goes well. I convinced them to be good alignment (to control their spontanious urges).

I hope this goes well, but i read the campaign and it almost seems like suicide at some points - just the campaign i like ;) cause my players have a habit of surviving against all odds.

I plan to make Ressurection available as opposed to making a new char.
Kentinal Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 15:14:51
quote:

i dno... since i played the game as a player... i feel kinda burnt out about finishing the blingdenstone mission. do you guys ever take Breaks from DND - like years between games or months? how long have you gone without playing or making a mission?

Well a bad experience can sour a person, however you might bounce. Some have taken long breaks, sometimes by choice sometime because of circumstances.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 08:35:04
i dno... since i played the game as a player... i feel kinda burnt out about finishing the blingdenstone mission. do you guys ever take Breaks from DND - like years between games or months? how long have you gone without playing or making a mission?

:) BTW - i found a cool tool called "DMSCREEN" you can find it on www.dndadventures.com

Its making me think about Buying a Laptop computer for my DND sesions in future. other than that nothing to report today.
Kentinal Posted - 13 Jan 2005 : 03:33:09
quote:

Im not sure how to introduce the portal demolisher -

you see , If i tell them it is a portal demolisher, they will run past my elemental, And Destroy the portal. and well... thats the end of him.

Im thinking The Drow Want the Player to walk through the portal, Carrying the demolisher... so they dont have to pay them. but then my players would be Stuck in the middle of Ogremoch's Hoard of Terran creatures... and that would be baaaaad ju ju.

so i came to this end -

I either Jack up the Spawn Rate for Portal monsters (to slow the players down... but they will get over run in mere seconds)

Or i Narrow the space to travel. OR put the portal up some natural obstacle. Or mine the Area with spell gems.

i dno im stumped. suggestions?

Perhaps do something like this.

The way to distroy the portal is not using the portal distroyer directly on the portal. It must be placed or ativated in some other place near the portal. Perhaps 50 foot West of the portal, perhaps behind a concealed locked door.

This way they can be told what it does, however not be able to tell them where it wil work.

"The magic of this item will close the portal, however we only know a little about where to activate it. We know it must in no closer then 30 feet and no greater then 100. We also know that it must be a certain compus point of the Portal, perhaps North or East, but it could be South or West"

If you do something like this, the party will need to try many locations. Of course you might need to alter your map a little to acomodate this idea. I would not as a player be given an artifac and told this might be useful, but I can not tell you how it might be.

There might be a few other ideas I can come up with, however this should serve to provide combat and perhaps puzzle sloving if you want to offer hints as to direction.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 13 Jan 2005 : 01:11:43

anyway - ill allow Quickdraw then, for use with Belted potions - making it a Partial Action to both Draw and drink. (Drawing becomeing a free action from quick draw - however, Drinking of the often foul, often far Ranging consistancies of potions takes time).

Im not sure how to introduce the portal demolisher -

you see , If i tell them it is a portal demolisher, they will run past my elemental, And Destroy the portal. and well... thats the end of him.

Im thinking The Drow Want the Player to walk through the portal, Carrying the demolisher... so they dont have to pay them. but then my players would be Stuck in the middle of Ogremoch's Hoard of Terran creatures... and that would be baaaaad ju ju.

so i came to this end -

I either Jack up the Spawn Rate for Portal monsters (to slow the players down... but they will get over run in mere seconds)

Or i Narrow the space to travel. OR put the portal up some natural obstacle. Or mine the Area with spell gems.

i dno im stumped. suggestions?
Kentinal Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 16:40:01
quote:

ehhe. potions have hardness?

Err the containers holding the potion does. Generally glass vials. Hardness 1 hitpoints 1/inch of thickness (minimun hot point of 1.

quote:

Im guessing it is a Called shot to Hit potions. and Potions on the belt must make a fort Save or shatter if the player falls more than 10 feet?

One can target an object, look at attacking or breaking items.
As for Fort saves, this works. Generally if character saves (for falls Reflex might be better for character, how well one lands)) items not at risk, if failing the save items are at risk of breaking. The normal rule barely touches potions in most cases. However certainly can justify a saving throw for more fragil items. Landing badly would then be best time to determine if vial (or more then one) breaks.

quote:

Im thinking this - For the potion case

+4 circumstance bonus to all Saves - 6 GP (my campaign is in GP) - 1 Case can be Strapped onto a belt at no penalty. 2 Cases at -2 to reflex saves because of their bulkyness.

Each case can hold 6 Potions of any kind.

------------
Normally potion limitations on Belt's should max out at 6. though i still think this may be too easy on my players.
------------

Looks okay to me.

quote:

Quick makes drinking a potion a partial action - Cause if im right its normally a full round action.

Normal retrive item is a move action, quick from belt makes it a free action.
Drick a potion a standard action.
Thus without Quick, retriving and drinking a potion normally is a full round action.

quote:

- Btw - I played my first ever Game of DND as a player today and upon that i realised somthing - the other dm had jack all on me. and although i Tried to RP, My Meta-gameing Freinds Soon Broke down my spirit. No one was their alignment - they all acted evil with good intentions ... although they were chaotic good (i was lawful). They bossed each other around into using their abilities for their own gain. and when they begged me to use lay on hands rather than healing myself on 0 hitpoints i couldnt help but tell them to screw themselves - despite being lawful good.

Well... for a first time experiance of DND from the players perspective - i realised only 1 thing - Critical hits suck monkey nuts on level 1 characters.

What can I say, some players are more muture then others, this is not age dependent (I have known some very mature 16 year old roleplayers and some 40+ year old immurture role players).

Critrical hits never fun, at least do not die at 0 hit points any more ;-)

[/quote]
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 15:15:57
ehhe. potions have hardness?

Im guessing it is a Called shot to Hit potions. and Potions on the belt must make a fort Save or shatter if the player falls more than 10 feet?

Im thinking this - For the potion case

+4 circumstance bonus to all Saves - 6 GP (my campaign is in GP) - 1 Case can be Strapped onto a belt at no penalty. 2 Cases at -2 to reflex saves because of their bulkyness.

Each case can hold 6 Potions of any kind.

------------
Normally potion limitations on Belt's should max out at 6. though i still think this may be too easy on my players.
------------

Quick makes drinking a potion a partial action - Cause if im right its normally a full round action.

Hrmm. sound good to you Psions?

- Oh one more thing... the Grim wouldnt beg no one for aid. specially since he cannot speak elvish. lol.

I know this about making combats - what i usually consider to hard for the players turns out easy. and what i consider Excessive overkill ends up either unfair or simply challanging to the group :P lol

- Btw - I played my first ever Game of DND as a player today and upon that i realised somthing - the other dm had jack all on me. and although i Tried to RP, My Meta-gameing Freinds Soon Broke down my spirit. No one was their alignment - they all acted evil with good intentions ... although they were chaotic good (i was lawful). They bossed each other around into using their abilities for their own gain. and when they begged me to use lay on hands rather than healing myself on 0 hitpoints i couldnt help but tell them to screw themselves - despite being lawful good. by this time however, i was far to annoyed at gameplay to even care about much anymore. i wasnt hitting anything for crap (Only a +3 Attack modifier - we were fighting goblins... only goblins...... sigh... i only killed 2 in the end after several combats!!) I realised i was only cut out for being in a Team full of people as RP lustful as i, OR as the DM where what little RP in the game was completely within my control... not that the other dm didnt Put up a valiant attempt to RP (though he did lead us by the nose alot).

Well... for a first time experiance of DND from the players perspective - i realised only 1 thing - Critical hits suck monkey nuts on level 1 characters.

Kentinal Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 14:53:14
In regard to potions: I would not limit number that the PCs find, buy or make. Though you certainly can use belt/backpack guidelines for NPCs. I would not allow belt to hold more then 6 potions, regardless of level.
As for a vial carring case to protect from damage that is not going to far from D&D IMO, weather or not one is needed depends on how much risk of breakage you use in your game. The carring case (if used) should increase saving throw and/or hardness of potions. Or you can have case itself asigned a saving throw hardness and hit points. As long as not broken potions safely stored.

As for encounter, yes indeed sounds hard, but you are there so have a better idea of how capible the players are. Of course they can reteat if needed. Of at least Grim can and perhaps beg aid from the Drow to save friends if it goes that badly.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 07:15:21
another change - swapping stone flyer ambush with lesser Xorns for mineral Salamander ambush. I wanna follow up from the last campaign and make slamanders appear more and more...

Fend Of Greathold Posted - 12 Jan 2005 : 07:11:05
OOOk :) Hrmm... Maybe a Realistic Amount of Potions one could carry Might be 1 Potion for each HD of the character on belt (Level based) and d4+1 Others "safley" in their backpack. Idno. Maybe say buy a special Potion case to carry a furthur 6 extra potions. Hrmm... is this getting to far away from dnd?

Ive also done some more work on blingdenstone - the Portal mission goes like so

as the players near the portal cave they are ambushed by 6 more stone Flyers and 2 Lesser Xorn.

In the next Chamber is the Huge earth elemental, with 10 Regen Each Round aslong as the portal remains intact.

It will attack anyone running passed it. or towards the portal. aswell as this, a random Creatures (from the plane of earth) will appear to attack the players.

Percentile dice
1-20 = Earth mephit
21-25 = Thoqqua
26-36 = small Earth elemental
37-48 = lesser Xorn
49-60 = Medium sized earth elemental
61-72 = Average Xorn
73-82 = Stone Flyer
83-90 = Thoqqua
91-100 = Mineral Salamander

Mineral salamander
hp - 38
Ac - 21
Longspear - +10/+5 (d8+3+fire)
Tail Slap - +7 (2d6+2+d6 fire)
Earth Strike - once per day - +3 to attack roll, +7 damage.

Heat , Constrict (2d6+1+d6 fire), Earth/fire Subtype, damage reduction 10/+1. Burrow. dark vision 60 feet. 10/+1

CR 6

----

Im thinking of chucking some mineral salamanders in at the start of the last encounter (maybe just 2 to prevent the players getting to the portal so easily).

yeah i know Kentinal... it sounds suicidal. but my players survived everything else ive thrown at them so far :P And By the time they get to here, they should be ECL 8 (considering the encounters in blingdenstone itself).

what do you think ?
Kentinal Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 15:44:06
There is no actual limit on number of potions one can own, the character however must be able to carry them or store them. There is also wealth guidelines that should be followed or effective level altered. There should be space limitations as well (only so many potions can fit into a backpack for example). The potions should be carried in a safe manner to prevent or reduce chance of them getting broken, thus not useable.

As for Duskrynn camp, I would add at least one wizard, perhaps level 5 and at least one more Priestess, perhaps level 3. As indicated the camp should not be a combat situation, however the Drow camp wold want to be powerful enough in case there was a large attack.
You might add a few Com slaves that cook, farm and do other mundane tasks. You might mintain the 2 slaves per each Drow, the low level slaves would tend not to fight at all and would not normally be armed.

Banishment could be automatic with portal distruction to make things easier, other thing might be scroll with Banishment spell on it, however because of level of spell there is a chance of failure or mishap. For now can not think of other changes. A large part of how it goes depends on how often they can rest. There also may be a factor f luck needed with the were, considering the number of them. Fighting style can minimise the danger, i.ee. staying close together to limit the number that can attack each round.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 14:39:39
hrmm i may Add Belts in - costing 1 gp (My entire campaign is in Gold peices)

Each belt can hold maybe 4 potions? maybe 6?

Anyway enough of that. how many potions do you belive a player could have on hand?

-----

Now for the blingdenstone mission - i altered the encounters to be challanging (higher CR) but Avoidable. so the players can Decided wether they wanna take the risk or avoid an encounter all together by getting away.

------

Ok ive got this change for encounters

- The Labrynth -

Greatly reduced encounters, increased Traps (all CR 3)

Put in only 3 Encounters -
Encounter 1 - Significantly getting lost will result in stumbling upon the Were Rat community nest - Seldig, 2 level 5 Fighter hybrids, 4 Level 3 Rouges, 7 Commonner based were Rats, 6 (concealed) Rat form were rats.
- It Could possibly be Diplomatic ... but then again the Drow in the party would = instantanious attack -

Encounter 2 - Were rat Outpost Gaurding the Secret door to section of Maze which does lead to the exit. 2 Level 4 Fighters, 2 Level 4 Rouges, 1 Level 6 Cleric.

Encounter 3 - A Little Addition of My Own - Minotaur/Baphitaur Rear Gaurds. a Party of Baphitaur and minotaurs have invaded the temple of Persana within the Ruins of Blingdenstone (searching for somthing to defile for their Gods), this small coven of Rear gaurds consists of 2 Baphitaurs and 1 minotaur (with classes attached).

----------
Labrynth done
---------

Ok. now that may be abit tough, but the party is ECL 7.

---------
Blingdenstone City
---------

Encounters - Ok they Vary Greatly, so ill just note them

Minotaur's and Baphitaur's in the Temple of Persana.
rust monster Trapped in abandoned armoury with two Faerzress Infused giant roaches.

6 Stone Flyers Ambush

4 Stone Flyers Ambush in an abandoned inn

3 Crystal oozes in the old town fountain.

A Lith

Killer Mimics

- thinking of adding in an area with some Mineral Mephits / Actually i might add them in later -

Duskryn Sentries - will attack anyone who stumbles into site without a Bregan Daerth Cape (which the two other players have). 2 Tanarukks, 2 Level 5 Fighters, 2 Level 5 Rouges.

This is a none combat encounter, however i would put Corossive picks in the hands of the Drow fighters.

---------
Rear Caverns
---------

Im currently Re-making this section -

My Ideas includes

- Duskrynn camp -
Zezpassa
5 Level 4 Drow Fighters
6 Level 3 Drow Rouges

Slaves
undetermined number of Xorn
1 Tanarukk (with a greatpick)
8 bugbear's
4 Orcs
6 goblins
1 Oger

------
The ACTUAL rear Cavern section
------

Consists of 3 Chambers

in the last one is a portal that leads to the plane of earth.
Out of it each d4 rounds will spawn an Earth Creature

In the second Chamber i plan for another Stone Flyer Ambush (probably 6 again)

The first chamber will have a whole heap of dead Xorn and dead slaves (Ogremoch's bane flew by and turned them against their handlers).

Portal chamber I may have a huge earth elemental possessed by ogremochs bane (backed up by smaller creatures). If the Portal is dissabled, the smaller creatures will stop (Useing a Portal Demolisher : Minor Magic item from the underdark book)and the elemental will become vunrable -

With the portal Demolished and the essence banished back to the plane of earth (i couldnt find anything on it...) the players will receive 2 Chests full of Loot from the Duskryn Camp.

----
I dno if this is a climactic End to this mission - any sugestions to change this?

Kentinal Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 13:30:03
quote:

GRRR!!!! - God Dammit!

- My Party has been , since ever Using the quick Draw Feat as an Excuse to Drink potions (i never really Read the hand book, never being a player) . But now im reading it. It says nothign about potions.

so answer me this - does Quick Draw mean you can Draw, drink and still attack on the same round? Or have they Been playing me for a fool?

I dont Respect theory on Feats. If a Feat says "this is what can be done" then Thats all that can be done. Grrr. whos right. me or them?

Well as per how the feat is written, the feat applies to drawing a weapon only. However some DMs do allow a potiom to be included if character is wearing a belt of potions or other dvice that has potions as near to hand as the weapon is. That said drawing a potion just puts it in hand, it is still a standard action to drink/use the potion just as it is a standard action (or full round action) to use the drawn weapon.

All in all the DM is always right, though if house ruling too many things the game might no longer be D&D.

"QUICK DRAW [GENERAL]

Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.

Benefit: You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.

A character who has selected this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks (much like a character with a bow).

Normal: Without this feat, you may draw a weapon as a move action, or (if your base attack bonus is +1 or higher) as a free action as part of movement. Without this feat, you can draw a hidden weapon as a standard action.

Special: A fighter may select Quick Draw as one of his fighter bonus feats."
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 10:04:10
GRRR!!!! - God Dammit!

- My Party has been , since ever Using the quick Draw Feat as an Excuse to Drink potions (i never really Read the hand book, never being a player) . But now im reading it. It says nothign about potions.

so answer me this - does Quick Draw mean you can Draw, drink and still attack on the same round? Or have they Been playing me for a fool?

I dont Respect theory on Feats. If a Feat says "this is what can be done" then Thats all that can be done. Grrr. whos right. me or them?
Kentinal Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 05:35:39
quote:

hrmm there is one thing i know will happen if Grim Dies -

You see, this is just my feeling, but Stone Face and Weisel have Bonded... In a way relating to both being judged as inferior to the drow and the fact that Stone face understands he needs weisel to do
the things he cant (like finding and disarming traps. or Delivering sneak attacks)... I dno if this is as Strong a Bond as "the Grimlock Hunt bond" should be. But i know that if Stoneface was Dieing, Weisel would fly over and pour a potion down his throat... I know this
because he Hesitated doing it for Malakor the Drow... but did it because of peer pressure from Shendrizz at the time. but in Reality,
a Dead player shouldnt be able to speak - hence, Im going to
implement another rule.

Well a bond should develp slowly, if at all. A bond however is needed of some mutual interest to keep the party together. Yes it is true a dead character should not talk or even stoned, unconsious. Thoug the new rule might be a problem. It also might be needed.

quote:

If a player is dieing, or dead. i will tell them to leave the room. They Dont know then if they miss out on loot, Or what happens. etc.

Yes this prevents meta-gaming, but also can prevent players enjoying the telling of the story. For example the party members are all alive and one finds a scroll and reads it. Most of the time a DM trusting the player will let all players know what is in the scroll, trusting that the players will not let their characters know what is in the scroll until the one character tells the other ones. Some DMs choose to pass notes to the player of a character instead of letting all players know what is going on. I do not know what the breakdown is and note passing between players, without DM review, can cause more problems. At times leaving the room does make sense, but often it can cause a mistrust as well, that it is better to allow the player to stay in room. Just remind them that they are dead/incapcitated and their character can not know what has occured, unless another character tells them. The players often can provide advice, remind another player about a staff of healing, that the character remembers that another recieved, while the players are trying to figure out what actions to take. At higher levels and increased wealth it becomes easy to forget minor items. Also rules discussion to a limited extent should be permitted.
The rule that should be imposed, IMO, is if players come up with an idea that the characters could not know, that such should be prevented from working.
quote:

It also means that they wont be able to tell other players to heal
them (Often this involves alot of threatening like - If you let me die, my next character will do what they can to spite you).

This is a player problem and must be strongly discouraged. Instruct your players that they are playing a role, that if death occurs a replacement character can not have any resentment because of last death. On your part try to minimise death, however if you see any player acting out of revenge for a prior death invoke divine warth. Make sure your players know that you will not permit retaliation for the bad acts of prior encounters. As to how you need to do it it depends on the players. It might be as harsh as saying "the act was so offending that divine fire reaches though the shy and consusumes your body and soul, please roll up a bew level one character. "

quote:

- Btw , on that braketed note - My players do use threats alot on each other... and i dno how to stop it. I mean, if someone kills someone else , or refuses to try to save them or res them out of roleplay... The players will make a new char and Avenge their old chars death and then probably the same cycle of repeats will happen until the
Storyline is completely destroyed. and i dont want that to happen.

Has this happend to you?

Yes this has happened to me. The key is to get players that will seperate themselves from their characters from themselves. It depends on the players, try to remind them they are actors. That sometimes the characters they are playing are such that if they meet in Real Life they soon would want to kill. D&D is not about winning, D&D is about the journey. There are no level limits one can become anything, the idea is to enjoy the journey because there never realy is a place that one can say I won the game. There is no winning, oh there can be body counts that some think that matters and use as a score of a sort, however this is not winning and sometimes could be losing.

Players and DMs often get locked into the idea of winning, This is to be avoided. It is about the adventures, sucess and failure included. It is about working together for a common goal, be it for good, evil or just success. How you manage to achieve it with your players depends on how players view the game. You might need to get their view to change a little bit about how to play the game.

Best example I can offer you is that I have two characters that compete against each other. The one wants the other dead, the other just seeks to control the evil of the first. The personalities of the two are very different as thier goals are different. One is respected the other is feared. In online play most do not know I play both of them. I would be disappointed if either was killed because of their long life, however I would not use the other to advenge the death because of out of game knowledge. If in game killing a powerful character that have contended with each other for years, I would seek clues and information. I would need to determine if such a person was a force of evil or good , and of course depending which of the two of mine survived, decide what to do about it.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 11 Jan 2005 : 04:42:58
hrmm there is one thing i know will happen if Grim Dies -

You see, this is just my feeling, but Stone Face and Weisel have Bonded... In a way relating to both being judged as inferior to the drow and the fact that Stone face understands he needs weisel to do the things he cant (like finding and disarming traps. or Delivering sneak attacks)... I dno if this is as Strong a Bond as "the Grimlock Hunt bond" should be. But i know that if Stoneface was Dieing, Weisel would fly over and pour a potion down his throat... I know this because he Hesitated doing it for Malakor the Drow... but did it because of peer pressure from Shendrizz at the time. but in Reality, a Dead player shouldnt be able to speak - hence, Im going to implement another rule.

If a player is dieing, or dead. i will tell them to leave the room. They Dont know then if they miss out on loot, Or what happens. etc.

It also means that they wont be able to tell other players to heal them (Often this involves alot of threatening like - If you let me die, my next character will do what they can to spite you).

- Btw , on that braketed note - My players do use threats alot on each other... and i dno how to stop it. I mean, if someone kills someone else , or refuses to try to save them or res them out of roleplay... The players will make a new char and Avenge their old chars death and then probably the same cycle of repeats will happen until the Storyline is completely destroyed. and i dont want that to happen.

Has this happend to you?
Kentinal Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 22:29:20
quote:

yeah, i worry about the gloamling character. the thing is he shoulda been dead by now... I had words with the player who plays Malakor about everyones RP and openly confessed that the Gloamling would have Diead at the halfDragons hands had it not been for Selune's mercy (;) woo i got to play Selune!)

Have been thinking about this.

There is one thing you might be the factor of griendship or at least graditude for still being alive. Chaotic, suspisious makes it a little harder to form trust, however many Chaotics do very much make friends and will defend them. Chaotic is more about world view as oposed to local view. Grimlock's player might be encoraged to understand that he like the Drow needs a good reason of self interest before combating/oposing those willing to travel with him.

There is no way to tell a player they are playing a character wrong (except for tech reasons), however there can be advise offered to advise a way to keep a PC from not being killed by party members (directly or indirectly).

Grim needs at least some degree of friendship, just in case he needs somebody to pour a healing potion down thoat or even return to rescue him if caught one way or another. Grim certainly should have a keen self interest, however should learn quick that there is a need for companions that will come to aid. This only accomplished if he displays at least some williness to aid other members of the party one way or another.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 22:14:14
Early days mate :P

- i... might... scrap the portal come to think of it now. Its far to complex and maybe im making portals to common, especially when i dont even have the planar hand book!

- The silverymoon ambush would be an attempt to represent the forces of good were fighting over this city. and the presence of elves would give the players some deep seeted hatred (Drow) - but if you think its too much,i may remove them...

- Do you want the maps? look. ive made them and i can post the links on here :P maybe Then you can Go and make a suggestion list saying "i think there should be a "Blah" in room 13. :P if not its ok...

- Do you think that "Ogremoch's Bane" Would have a substantial form that the players could defeat instead? or maybe would it be to much for their level?

- ... hrmm... Do you think maybe a Beblith would still be trapped, stalking the lower caves? or would they all be long gone...

hrmm thats all the questions i can muster forth for Yall this early in the morning.

Adios for now.
Kentinal Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 16:45:28
The Silverymoon ambush might become too much a distraction, the party might head in that direction. Hard to say from here. Also the party treally does need both the good forces and evil forces upset with them.

In any case magic generally would not work as good (if at all) because it being a different plane. As for closing it or buring there certainly can be a scroll or earthquake. The job might be handed off to an NPC as well.

Certainly by omens or other methord that all out attack on Guardians has low chance to succeed.

Fend Of Greathold Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 15:16:03
Hrmm thanks Kentinal - Im thinking of including about 12 Slaves working the mines, all of them Bugbears and 2 Tanarukk overseers. the players may find it wise to interview the tanarukk's if Malakor wants to Bluff to them that hes there to check on production. (because he isnt a mercinary, hes simply tagging along to burn time)

Hrmmm... as for everything else, ive ditched Rust monsters. they just dont fit. i want to concentrate on the Terran, Reclamation, and Drow angles rather than the random monster in the spare room feel. + Slimes are Everywhere and make alot of sence too. However, Mold will not make many appearances like it did in the last mission.

As for Food, Always useful are Large Clumpings of edible fungi. though the players ususally Pack Dozens of trial rations.

hrmmm... thats about it. please gimmie your thoughts on this, i got 2 weeks to make it before the next major session... (i get to play a game this weekend as a player finally! so that should be a new experiance)
Kentinal Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 15:02:08
The average Drow city has two slaves per person. Some of the slaves are troops, others could be overseers of other slaves.

The Corrosive picks would be in hands of over seerers or guards, it is a weapon more so then a mining tool. As to what type of slaves the Drow would be using as guards/over seeres is up to you.

A lot of Rush monsters might be a problem, remember they use touch attack so the AC of anying in area will have a much lower AC if waering metal armor. Also unless had mines for metalic ores as well as gems, they do not have much food source. Oh I am sure there would be a few about.

Those are a few thoughts for now.
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 13:55:06
Ok - ive done some mapping and came up with my OWN blingdenstone (NYAH FR!)

- Ok. the Labrynth is simple, using some inspiration i put minotaur heads with gems in (from someone elses campaign) but the gems are really spell gems. all in all, the maze isnt hard to navigate unless you get really lost. I put a few scarce rat encounters in, and Made some of the bulls heads so that if the horns were pulled down or the gems were attempted to be pryed out, d3 Faerarezz infused minotaurs would appaear and attack.

- The way out is hidden via an illusionary wall near the Were-rat nest.

- Next i ditched the underwater segment and went staight to the city. i think my city is rather good, it has the ruins of an inn, a tavern, a temple, 2 plaza's a shopping plaza, 2 Gaurd rooms a Craft hall, a Store room and it is on multipul levels and heights without being to complex. ;) and i put pillars in the halls. i put in some Traps too for when the gnomes prepared for the drow attack. but they are old and just waiting to be set off.

- I dno what encounters to have in here. Ive got the following ideas for notes for the main city :

- Cave Ooze, Black pudding would be good - Maybe also alot of Grey ooze (Because there is a weapons locker at the duskryn camp furthur in) -
- Xorn - the players not knowing the xorn are on patrol for spell gems may attack one if they saw it wandering down a passage way. but one of my Party members actually "can" speak Terran - so maybe they can pry information out of it (like directions to the camp) -

- Mercinaries from Silvery moon, I plan to have a group of Elven Archers working with Svirfneblin at the top of a staircase to shoot down at the heroes as they enter the ruins, they heard a rumor that Drow reinforcments were ariving and would put a stop to them.

- A Purple worm - yes... a purple worm - theres an Area i made that used to be a workshop, but now its got Various rifts Broken into its floor, i was thinking, due to the proximity of the worm writhings, maybe a purple worm would have got in - But the thing about this is It May not have gotten past the spellgems. So... maybe ill scrap it.

- I dno - What Else is Evil that would Dwell within the City and could have gottn past the Spellgems and / Or the Labrynth?

----------

in the Back caverns ive established the Duskryn camp

i plan for a quick word with her personally about the job they have been employed for, And then for her to retire to her Living quaters, Giving the players directions to the shop and the mines.

Heres my idea for Plot so far : Ogremochs Bane has been a Plague on the Drow here since it appeared. Xorn have been entering the rocks and never returning with spell gems. this leads them to belive that the Damn Mist is dominating their Xorns (who were dominated by them in the first place) - Thus, Zezpassa wants the players to journy to the back of the caverns and find the source of Ogremochs bane - This is actually a Lesser portal to the plane of Earth. Surrounded ofcourse by Varied Gaurdians (it would have to be a Strategic fight or death would be assured) - Im thinking Maybe just a single HUGE Earth Elemental, possessed by Ogremochs Bane, And the Rest of his minons on the other end of the portal - but anyway. The players must then Go through the portal, Locate the missing Stock Pile of spell gems (with the help of some "Boots of Xorn) - Then Exit and Burry the Cavern on the plane of Earth in which the Portal is located.

But i Dno what they could Detonate the Portal with. Maybe A special Scroll of "close portal?" i dno - either way - with its Essence cut off Ogremoch's bane should no longer hinder mineing opperations in Blingdenstone (It will be A Tough Fight though to kill all those Terran Creatures, and prolly alot of Gem Loot on the Plane of Earth too)

The Next task will be to Go collapse the surface tunnel leading to silvery moon. but i havent planned this far ahead.

I dont wanna make Blingdenstone a total warzone. i just want it to feel like it has something more behind it, while still feeling like the players are passing through the hostile remains of an abandoned city full of landmines!
Fend Of Greathold Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 07:41:24
yeah, i worry about the gloamling character. the thing is he shoulda been dead by now... I had words with the player who plays Malakor about everyones RP and openly confessed that the Gloamling would have Diead at the halfDragons hands had it not been for Selune's mercy (;) woo i got to play Selune!)

Anyway - At BEST the Gloamling is atleast playing its chaotic role. I have noticed, They all do roleplay their parts... for better or worse.

yeah i did a comprehensive set of research on Blingdenstone and this is all i found on the net -

Blingdenstone Warpick
Many of these are now in Drow hands following the overrun of Blingdenstone
+ Corrosive Heavy Pick
Caster level 10th; Spells - Acid Fog, Acid Storm, Melf’s Acid arrow or Storm of Vengeance
Market Price 8,300 ;

• The deep gnome community of Blingdenstone is founded in the Underdark region of the North.

Temples in Blingdenstone

Ruby in the Rough (Temple to Persana)
The Steadfast Stone (Callarduran Smooth hands)
The Trillimac Stockade (Baervan wild wanderer)

BLINGDENSTONE
Zelzpassa Duskryn (fd, *Rog/Clr) of Menzoberranzan, leader of the raiders here

pg 36 of Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark

Introduce spell gems in early

Make the players Wary of Gems… Especially red ones

Other than all this - I have the underdark book, and ive learnt what i can from that. I also now Know that a REAL map of Blingdenstone is in the book "Drizzt's Guide to the underdark" which is Reputedly a Terrible peice of Litrature Worthy of being thrown onto a dung heap and set alight (well... thats the drift i got from alot of Reviews and forums) -

Edgeways - If anyone here could help me out with an idea of the map i would be eternally greatful.

As for my thoughts on those notes i took from the internet -

Im thinking of Giving some of the drow Slaves Corrosive picks. but my Beef is - If the Drow are only using Xorn's to get the Gems, why would they have slaves? - to that end, i was going to hide a Corrosive Pick in an Airpocket in the submerged section, or in the back near the earth elementals.

The Date i might put in a carving somewhere...

And the Referance to the Temples might give me good base for some "ruined" rooms the players might find like

"By the looks of things, this may have once been a temple. albeit it has long since been desecrated. bellow the rubble and bones that litter the ground you can discern a Great Carven Stone Symbol" or somthing of little meaning. i was hopeing on useing 1 or two of the temples to add spice to the mission.

Also, I was thinking about Dungeon Ecology and i came up with this -

- Blingdenstone would be a haven for rust monsters in its lower Sections

- Faerezz infused minotaur traps in the labrynth may be a nasty surprise

- Giant Cockroaches infesting a section may proove to easy a challange unless in hoards

- Oozes in the Waterway is definantly the way to go

- Lycanthropy should be dissabled for the duration of this mission in order to keep things running correctly

- Svirfneblin Reclamationists from silvery moon should be toned down to make an undertone in the mission. maybe ill have a few as Slaves in the drow encampment and make a passing note on their recent capture, maybe turn it into a moral decision.

- I should reduce the presence of mages for this mission due to the fact the last mission was magic heavy - instead i should focus on Great Strength to threaten my players and put the fear of Lolth back into them.

Suggestions?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000