Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Rise and Fall of Valashar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 21:48:04
While working on a possible contribution for the Candlekeep Newsletter, I came across a small inconsistency in dates...

Page 30 of the Tethyr booklet of Lands of Intrigue mentions that Azoun I forced back the expanding Shoon empire in the Year of the Whipped Cur (336 DR).

Page 269 of FRCS (3e) mentions that this occurs in the Year of the Leaping Hare (376 DR)

Steven Schend, George Krashos or any other sage what is the right date?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 19:40:06
Master Krashos,

Bump...

Have you heard anymore in the last two years about this? That would be a great resource!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The Cormyrean line of kings can be found in Grand History of the Realms. The full lineage has never been published, but I hear there are plans ...

-- George Krashos

cpthero2 Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 13:08:47
Master Krashos,

I do recall seeing that list there, and thank you for mentioning that list.

I was hoping that, as your comment alluded to, that there might be an exhaustive and complete list up to date, but no sweat. I am sure at some point that bad boy will be on here!

Best regards,

quote:

The Cormyrean line of kings can be found in Grand History of the Realms. The full lineage has never been published, but I hear there are plans ...

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 08:52:23

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 00:52:04
Master Sage,

Do you have an updated link for the one you provided below? It is a broken link now. Additionally, I searched for the Cormyrian Lineage scroll, and it wasn't present.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
You may want to take a gander then, at the Cormyrian Lineage scroll that was floating around Candlekeep a few months back. It contained a listing of many titles regarding most of the kings and princes of the Forest Kingdom. As I recall, it was the result of some work from our good friend and fellow scribe, George Krashos .

If I recall correctly that had names/titles but no dates, correct?

Essentially yes, you are correct . However, looking over the copy I've just found (and generously posted by the Lady K. no less... ), it mentions a few dates which should be useful for those who wish to use it as a reference.

Mystery_Man Posted - 31 Dec 2004 : 13:38:03
quote:

Early history of the Heartlands is sketchy at best. A timeframe for Berdusk Orcslayer would only be a wild guess at this stage.

Which is why a fat new sourcebook would be ideal. After my book of Fey of course.

not that they listen to me....
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 31 Dec 2004 : 08:53:58
quote:

Early history of the Heartlands is sketchy at best. A timeframe for Berdusk Orcslayer would only be a wild guess at this stage.

As for the Lords Alliance, after pinging Ed on this when coming up with my North Timeline, we came up with: the Year of the Great Harvests (1325 DR).

The timeframe for the start of the Lord's Alliance sounds about right to what I had in mind, it occurs about 4 years after Cylyria Dragonbreast becomes ruler of Berdusk.
Garen Thal Posted - 31 Dec 2004 : 04:05:54
Just to echo George's statement, I'll confirm that it is indeed Prince Azoun who defeats Valashar in 376DR; the scene in which he appears in Cormyr: A Novel occurs shortly before he leaves on his campaign. Although Lands of Intrigue dates the conflict at 336DR, it does so incorrectly, as evidenced by the dates from Empires of the Shining Sea and Sea of Fallen Stars, both of which (as later products) supercede the dating of LoI, and both of which were written by the same author, Steven Schend.
George Krashos Posted - 31 Dec 2004 : 00:20:56

As for the Lords Alliance, after pinging Ed on this when coming up with my North Timeline, we came up with: the Year of the Great Harvests (1325 DR).

-- George Krashos
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 30 Dec 2004 : 18:50:28
Well, while I have the undivided attention of Candlekeep's sages , I'll ask two more questions that are related to the above for my purposes...:

• What was the time period when Berdusk Orcslayer was active in the Chionthar Vale?
  • When was the Lord's Alliance founded?
SiriusBlack Posted - 30 Dec 2004 : 16:23:27
quote:
Essentially yes, you are correct . However, looking over the copy I've just found (and generously posted by the Lady K. no less... ), it mentions a few dates which should be useful for those who wish to use it as a reference.

First off, I'm always correct unless I'm testing someone to see if they spot an error. Second, thank you for mentioning that thread. It's nice to see any dates. Third, if there was a really ambitious scribe, he/she'd cross reference that list of nobles with a list of their romantic liasons while ruler. Oh wait, there doesn't exist a computer with enough memory to handle detailing those Obarskyr activities. Nevermind.

quote:
I hope one day a "Cormyr" product showcases it in all its glory (although IMHO it would make a fantastic web enhancement).

Why do I have this bad image in my head of such a timeline of rulers being bumped in either format for a Prestige Classes of Cormyr Bonus Section?

George Krashos Posted - 30 Dec 2004 : 08:53:26
Hey all.

Basically, Steven mucked it up when writing LOI - he didn't take into account the dates given in "Cormyr: A Novel" regarding Azoun I.

Yes, he was Crown Prince when he fought Valashar and yes, the dates given in EotSS supersede those given in LOI and are correct.

As for that Cormyr lineage, it's as slippery as a mud-caked eel. Garen Thal has just added two new entries and my reading of "Elminster's Daughter" has come up with another problem or three that will mean re-jigging three or so of the existing entries. Ed likes doing that to us - tossing out stuff of seemingly little import and then watching us scramble to retrofit it and make it a harmonious whole.

I hope one day a "Cormyr" product showcases it in all its glory (although IMHO it would make a fantastic web enhancement).

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2004 : 08:19:37
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
You may want to take a gander then, at the Cormyrian Lineage scroll that was floating around Candlekeep a few months back. It contained a listing of many titles regarding most of the kings and princes of the Forest Kingdom. As I recall, it was the result of some work from our good friend and fellow scribe, George Krashos .

SiriusBlack Posted - 30 Dec 2004 : 06:56:02
quote:

The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2004 : 06:16:11
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

In that case, the only outstanding issue for me would be the title of Azoun I...

Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 23:09:47
In that case, the only outstanding issue for me would be the title of Azoun I... Given the fact that Cormyr - a Novel mentiones that the man is still a prince in that year, I'll still settle for that and belive the FRCS title is in error...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 23:05:50
As much as I hate to say this, do keep in mind that later lore trumps earlier published lore. So the FRCS takes precedence over Lands of Intrigue.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 22:31:51
Interesting though that the date was moved 40 years forward from the date in LOI. A second date - 321 DR (LOI) when Valashar was added to the Shoon Empire, appears also moved forward by 40 years 361 DR (EotSS)...

Don't have Cormyr - A Novel at hand to check the publishing date with the publishing dates of LOI and EotSS... wonder if there is a correlation there...
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 22:15:08
Looks like I should have done a little more research before posting. Page 31 of Empires of the Shining Sea also details the rise and fall of Valashar and places the events in 376 DR, when Crown Prince Azoun I is victorious over the Valashar forces.
Kentinal Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 22:14:45
Well this site: offers

"336Year of the Whipped Cur

* Cormyr defeats the army of Valashar on the Fields of the Dead, then advances into Amn, Valashar, and Tethyr." and

"376Year of the Leaping Hare

* Chapter 14 of "Cormyr: A Novel" "

It appears that: A. Jason Antokas, George Krashos, Olaf Krusche, Jan Stephan Lundquist all contributed to this timeline or are used as source.

HTH
Kajehase Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 22:07:01
Well, if both sources say the king of Cormyr was Azoun I, I'd guess on the later date, seeing as he's still prince Azoun in the chapter of "Cormyr - A novel" that takes place in 376 DR.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000