Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost Empires of Faerun contents page

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 09 Dec 2004 : 23:05:43
Introduction 4
The Ruin-Based Campaign 4
What’s Inside 5
What You Need to Play 5

Chapter 1: Ancient Secrets 6
Ancient Feats 6
Arcane Manipulation 6
Arcane Transfiguration 6
Channel Charge 7
Cormanthyran
Moon Magic 7
Craft Scepter 8
Familiar Concentration 8
Godsight 8
Greenbound Summoning 8
Item Reprieve 8
Jergal’s Pact 8
Multilingual 8
Netherese Battle Curse 8
Servant of the Fallen 9
Spell Reprieve 9
Trapmaster 9
Wounding Spell 9
Prestige Classes 10
Cultist of the
Shattered Peak 10
Glorious Servitor 13
Magelord 17
Olin Gisir 21
Sunmaster 25
Ancient Spells 29
Assassin Spell 29
Bard Spell 29
Cleric Spells 29
Druid Spells 29
Paladin Spell 29
Sorcerer/Wizard Spells 29
Spell Descriptions 30

Chapter 2:
Dreams of the Past 36
The Ruins of the Past 36
Cities into Dungeons 36
Interesting Sites 38
Ancient Deities 41
Amaunator 41
Auppenser 41
Bhaal 41
Gilgeam 42
Leira 42
Moander 42
Myrkul 43
Ramman 43
Tchazzar 43
Epic Magic 43
Mystra’s Ban and
Epic Magic 43
Epic Spell 43
Epic Spell Seeds 44
Mythals 45
What Is a Mythal? 45
Raising a Mythal 45
Sample Mythal: The Wards
of Silverymoon 50

Chapter 3:
The Crown Wars 51
History 51
Timeline 51
Keepers of the Past 52
Songs and Stories 53
Important Sites 56
Aryvandaar 56
Illefarn 57
Ilythiir 58
Miyeritar 58
Legacies of the Crown Wars 59
Adventure Seeds 59
Buried Secrets 59

Chapter 4:
God-Kings of the East 60
History 60
Timeline 60
Keepers of the Past 63
Songs and Stories 63
Important Sites 64
Imaskar 64
Mulhorand 66
Narfell 67
Raumathar 68
Unther 69
Legacies of the
Old Empires 70
Adventure Seeds 70
Buried Secrets 70
Heirs to the Empire 70
Adventure Site:
Sonjar’s Tower 72
Background 72
The Earth Node 72
Tower Features 73
Keyed Areas 73

Chapter 5:
Realms of the High Forest 83
History 83
Timeline 84
Keepers of the Past 85
Songs and Stories 85
Important Sites 86
Ammarindar 86
Delzoun 87
Eaerlann 89
Sharrven 91
Siluvanede 92
Legacies of the
High Forest 92
Adventure Seeds 92
Heirs of the High Forest 94

Chapter 6: Fallen Netheril 95
High and Low Netheril 95
History 96
Timeline 96
Keepers of the Past 100
Songs and Stories 102
Important Sites 104
The Lost Kingdoms 104
Low Netheril 105
Netherese Colonies 107
Shattered Cities 108
Surviving Cities 109
Western Diaspora 109
Legacies of Netheril 111
Adventure Seeds 111
Buried Secrets 111
Heirs to the Empire 112

Chapter 7:
The Imperial South 113
History 113
Timeline 113
Keepers of the Past 116
Songs and Stories 117
Important Sites 117
Coramshan 117
High Shanatar 118
Memnonnar 119
Jhaamdath 120
Shoon Imperium 121
Tethir 122
Legacies of the Past 123
Adventure Seeds 123
Buried Secrets 123
Heirs to the Empire 124

Chapter 8: The Dream of
Cormanthyr 125
History 125
Timeline 125
Keepers of the Past 129
Songs and Stories 129
Important Sites 132
The Elven Court 132
Myth Drannor 133
Semberholme 133
Vale of Lost Voices 133
Legacies of Cormanthyr 134
Adventure Seeds 134
Buried Secrets 135

Chapter 9:
The Old North 136
History 136
Timeline 136
Keepers of the Past 142
Songs and Stories 142
Important Sites 142
Ardeep 142
Gauntlgrym 143
Old Illusk 144
Phalorm 144
Legacies of the
Old North 146
Adventure Site:
Keep on the Frontier 146
Background 146
Keep Features 146
Keyed Areas 146
Concluding the
Adventure 150

Chapter 10:
Artifacts of the Past 151
Magic Item Descriptions 151
Weapons 151
Rings 152
Scepters 153
Staffs 153
Wondrous Items 154
Artifacts 156
Minor Artifacts 156
Major Artifacts 157

Chapter 11: Monsters of the
Ancient Lands 160
Arachnids, Giant 160
Combat 160
Giant Whip Scorpion 160
Giant Whip Spider 161
Giant Sun Spider 162
Baneguard 162
Baneguard 162
Direguard 162
Crawling Claw 163
Combat 164
Creation 164
Curst 165
Sample Curst 165
Creating a Curst 165
Deepspawn 166
Combat 167
Demon, Ghour 168
Combat 168
Dread 169
Combat 169
Dread Warrior 169
Sample Dread Warrior 169
Creating a
Dread Warrior 170
Flameskull 171
Combat 171
Foulwing 172
Combat 172
Gorynych 172
Combat 173
Greenbound Creature 173
Sample
Greenbound Creature 174
Creating a
Greenbound Creature 174
Helmed Horror 175
Helmed Horror 175
Battle Horror 177
Ixzan 177
Combat 178
Lycanthrope 178
Combat 178
Lycanthrope,
Drow Werebat 178
Lycanthrope,
Werecat 179
Lycanthrope,
Werecrocodile 181
Lycanthrope,
Wereshark 183
Metalmaster 184
Combat 184
Nightshade, Nighthaunt 185
Combat 185
Nishruu 186
Combat 186
Phaerimm 187
Combat 187
Phaerimm Characters 189
Tomb Tapper 189
Combat 190
Construction 190
Tressym 191
Combat 191
Velvet Worm, Giant 191
Combat 192
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elven_songstress Posted - 05 Apr 2005 : 20:38:13
Wow I need to equip myself with this book when going up against a dragon , that dragon charm might work good. *lol*
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 05:37:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Taking this seriously for a moment, would a tome (in-game) that deals with the historical areas of the Realms confer any particular bonuses upon a PC should he/she have possession of it? I mean, besides the usual bonuses to Knowledge (History) for example...

I'd say that depends on a variety of factors... How detailed is the book, how known is the history of that region, and who knows what's in the book?

For example, to a Calimport crimelord, a book that details the early layout of the city could lead to long-lost riches, and whoever holds that book (assuming he can stay alive and keep the book) is going to command a lot of respect...

Or a book on early Cormyr that shows long-forgotten details of the family tree of one of the Silver families. That'd command a lot of attention from any Cormyrean nobles that knew of it... Some of the attention might even be good.

On the flip side, if you were in Hlondeth with a book detailing exactly how the yuan-ti took over, you'd not likely be around very long...

On another angle, a book that detailed the history of a city and how it grew could give insights to particular customs of that city. Having this info could make a foreigner blend in more readily, or be more accepted by the common people of that city.

At least, that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 04:12:35
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Does someone else want to beat him down, or should I just sic a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters on him?

Fortunatley a copy of Lost Empires of Faerun provideds its owner with a +10 Enchantment bonus to AC a +6 bonus to Charisma when dealing with the opposite sex

Taking this seriously for a moment, would a tome (in-game) that deals with the historical areas of the Realms confer any particular bonuses upon a PC should he/she have possession of it? I mean, besides the usual bonuses to Knowledge (History) for example...
Eremite Posted - 10 Feb 2005 : 15:57:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth I could be mean and say some us dont need a HTML link to view the LEOF art

Ahh, yes, I may just flick to a random page myself.... ;)
Dargoth Posted - 10 Feb 2005 : 11:45:26
quote:

Does someone else want to beat him down, or should I just sic a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters on him?

Fortunatley a copy of Lost Empires of Faerun provideds its owner with a +10 Enchantment bonus to AC a +6 bonus to Charisma when dealing with the opposite sex

Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Feb 2005 : 11:15:47
quote:

quote:

Behold! The Lost Empires of Faerûn art gallery!

Not that I care about the art, of course... But the link on the updates page was wrong, and this is the correct one.

I could be mean and say some us dont need a HTML link to view the LEOF art

SiriusBlack Posted - 10 Feb 2005 : 05:46:13
quote:

I'm browsing the images right now in another window. So far the art looks really good. The colors seem more vibrant to me than some past products. Plus, I see Jason Engle is one of the artists. I've really enjoyed some of his past work.
Dargoth Posted - 10 Feb 2005 : 05:17:50
quote:

Not that I care about the art, of course... But the link on the updates page was wrong, and this is the correct one.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Feb 2005 : 05:06:20

Eremite Posted - 09 Feb 2005 : 13:27:15
quote:

How many levels higher is a wounding spell Ed?

Two.
George Krashos Posted - 07 Feb 2005 : 06:06:03
Nope.

-- George Krashos
SirUrza Posted - 07 Feb 2005 : 04:23:49
Are there any moonblade stats or generation rules in LEOF? :)
Dargoth Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 22:02:54
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes.

-- George Krashos

What products is Illitrin Starym mentioned in? I know he's in Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves which details how he ends up wielding a moonblade. However, was he in Ed's novel about Myth Drannor or The Fall of Myth Drannor tome?

A Illitran Starym is mentioned in Volos guide to all things magical as the first claiment of the Evil Starym Moonblade

Speaking of the Starym Moonblade is it detailed in LEOF?
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 16:17:00
quote:

Yes.

-- George Krashos

What products is Illitrin Starym mentioned in? I know he's in Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves which details how he ends up wielding a moonblade. However, was he in Ed's novel about Myth Drannor or The Fall of Myth Drannor tome?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 03:29:01
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Grin. George tells me they used her text from The Fall of Myth Drannor, which listed her as a moon elf even though she was listed as a gold elf in Cormanthyr. Steven, just a few hours ago, said that was his mess up, maybe, when he worked at TSR and he was going to, hopefully, give us more info tomorrow in his thread.

I certainly hope so. :) So that's where the slip-up came from...
Kuje Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 02:54:27
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Honestly, I prefered it when it was left a mystery, just like I prefered it when we didn't know who "Fflar" was.

The picture of the Shrinshee is astonshing, but I could have sworn she was a gold elf (note I'm talking about the actual text, not necessarily the picture)???

Grin. George tells me they used her text from The Fall of Myth Drannor, which listed her as a moon elf even though she was listed as a gold elf in Cormanthyr. Steven, just a few hours ago, said that was his mess up, maybe, when he worked at TSR and he was going to, hopefully, give us more info tomorrow in his thread.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 02:01:55
Honestly, I prefered it when it was left a mystery, just like I prefered it when we didn't know who "Fflar" was.

The picture of the Shrinshee is astonshing, but I could have sworn she was a gold elf (note I'm talking about the actual text, not necessarily the picture)???
George Krashos Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 00:40:17
Yes.

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Feb 2005 : 00:29:03
quote:

we now have excerpts from this tome.

I noticed the following bit of information from the historical excerpt

quote:

But before the required mourning period had passed, Eltargrim's heir, Aravae Irithyl, was murdered. The culprit was Illitrin Starym, who feared that Aravae's beloved would return and displace him as head of House Starym. Illitrin's treachery was never discovered.

Am I correct that this is the first time a person has been assigned responsibility for Aravae's murder in an FR product?

Dargoth Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 22:13:41
Hmmm

Wounding Inflict spell and Wounding Defic Vengence spells

(Im currently playing in a The Worlds largest Dungeon campaign and Im playing as a Cleric of Bane this feat would be perfect for him)
edbonny Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 22:02:37
quote:

When I last saw it, it was 2 levels higher.

- Ed
Dargoth Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 21:57:46
SirUrza Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 20:52:49
quote:

I reckon they should retool it using the ancestoral relic feat in the Book of Exalted deed the feat dovetails with Mooinblades quite well

That'd be cool, I thought of moonblades when I saw that feat. I'd really like them to redo the power system with an actual chart meant for moonblades. It always felt like an after thought in Races.
edbonny Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 18:58:21
quote:

Anyone else reckon the Magelord PrC screams Manshoon?

I could see that. He's got the ruling thug mentality that defines the class.

From their role way back in the early Elminster books, the magelords always struck me as mostly magic-wielding "thug leaders." When they set their sights on you, they wanted you to suffer. Their offensive spells always seemed a bit more painful than if another wizard cast the same one. For that reason, I came up with the "wounding spell" metamagic feat for LEOF and it was going to be a prerequisite for being a magelord.

The magelord on Wizard's site is very close to what I wrote but the requirements and spells per level have changed.

- Ed
Lord Rad Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 18:31:47
I'm VERY excited about this product, more so than many FR products for a long time. I'm a big fan of both history and ruins (in and out of the Realms), so i'm beside myself with anticipation of this product, i'd like to hear what others have to say on this when they read it. If the quality is anything like that of Thomas M Reid's Shining South then i'll be extremely happy
Dargoth Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 05:08:21
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Hmmm, I wonder if we'll get some decent rules for generating Moonblades then.

I reckon they should retool it using the ancestoral relic feat in the Book of Exalted deed the feat dovetails with Mooinblades quite well
SirUrza Posted - 04 Feb 2005 : 04:34:38
Hmmm, I wonder if we'll get some decent rules for generating Moonblades then.
Dargoth Posted - 03 Feb 2005 : 23:34:28
Anyone else reckon the Magelord PrC screams Manshoon?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Feb 2005 : 23:00:34
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Nice to see the elfblades made it in this time and that lore is included in their descriptions as well as details on how a player can end up wielding one when not using his/her moonblade.

The art for the blades was a nice surprise as well. Thanks WR for giving the heads up about this. Although you lose bonus points for y'all.

Hey, in this portion of the US, everyone and their neighbor's kender says that word.
Kentinal Posted - 03 Feb 2005 : 15:58:49
quote:

Oh and the 'grey invasion of the Southern Forests of the black' occurred in -11450 DR: The Sable Wars. This was AFTER Ilythiir had destroyed Syorpiir by fire in -11600 DR. It was this action of the Ilythiiri that prompted the moon and green elven attempted invasion of the dark elf realm of Ilythiir.

I was thinking more along this timeline.

" -23200 DR
1. Establishment of the first elvish settlements of Ilythiir (Present Day: Shaar & Forest of Amtar)

-22500 DR
1. Establishment of the elvish settlements of Orishaar (Present Day: Duskwood & the Shaar). [it should be noted that the greys were founders of Orishaar]

c. -20000 DR
1. Orishaar and the southern dark elf nation of Ilythiir begin skirmishes that continue on and off for the next seven millennia. [TSR9561] {The greys were trying to take from the dark?}"

Actually I do not know whom started these skirmishes, however we are told that Ilythiir was founded first in the Shaar, that greys started to move into the Shaar about 2,000 years later, depending on how good these dates are. These battles most likely where border issues, however there would not have been any border issues if the grey had set up location someplace else or never came at all.

As for Ilythiir using fire, I clearly conceed this. I have seen the argument put forward that such use was indicated because of tatics they were facing. That arguement went something like this.

The foes using tree forts had a tatical advantage that needed to be countered, that forests do regrow as a part of nature cycle and the forest would renew itself without the tree forts (and foes). Not sure if this is a good enough justification however wars often wrougt much distruction. The timeline does clearly indicate that the Ilythiir used fire first as a tactic of war, perhaps justified perhaps not. It clearly however was not startigically a wise thing to do, because it became a unifing cry of other elves against them. The deities they choose to follow in increasing numbers was not wise either.

What bothers me is the timeline presented appears to take a side, that it may not be that balanced

In the end perhaps we will discover that that Dark Disater was also a result of the Ilythiir, that rumors of the gold mages is not correct. I can actually see a posible reason this is posible. Elistraee worshippers were in much greater numbers in Miyeritar and Lolth and other darker deities could have wanted to reduce the more peaceful and good blacks, but in such a way to point the blame at the gold. It would not have been the first time the Ilythiir took action and pointed the blame at others. The assasians that were used to prevent the alliance of Syòrpiir, Thearnytaar, and Eiellûr into a single nation ( -17100) is part of the history.

In the end both the gold and the black as a whole were subjected to whom lead them. If either side had taken out the evil leaders the Crown Wars as such would not have occured.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000