Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Problem with map of Baldur's Gate (the city walls)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Verghityax Posted - 01 Oct 2004 : 19:37:22
I've got some troubles with the city of Baldur's Gate. I'm drawing a map of it, yet there is something that confuses me pretty much. In Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting from 2nd edition of AD&D it is said that Baldur's Gate in facts consists of two cities - the old city that was surrounded with stone walls; and the new city which was built next to the old one. Later the new city had it borders surrounded with walls as well - therefore there's a stone wall going through the today's Baldur's Gate (as it was in the game) and 2nd ed. FRCS confirms that. The only problem is that I have never seen an official Baldur's Gate map (and I've seen plenty of them) that would have this wall that divides the city marked. If anyone, especially the creators of the FR could provide us with a map of Baldur's Gate with the mentioned wall or any info on how should it be exactly drawn I would be very, very greatful. Thank you in advance for any support.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 30 Jul 2008 : 06:04:47
Weird... and VERY cool - thanks for the heads-up.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jul 2008 : 14:02:10
Huh, I'm going to have to fire up my Atlas and try that. I never played with the layers on it.
Gelcur Posted - 27 Jul 2008 : 19:18:04
So I hate to resurrect old threads, especially this old, but I made a finding today that I thought others who had posted in this thread would want to be made aware of.

I was about to bring my party to Baldur's Gate and ran into the same issue as this thread, where is that wall? I eventually found Ed's reply here.

I thought well that will have to do. And then today I was looking at the Gate's map in the Interactive Atlas and I found there was a hidden layer! Under layers if you go down to Walls (Gone) and unclick the "H" then hit OK. The wall appears!

Well hopefully this helps others as much as it helps me.

The only thing I am left wondering is when the new wall was erected and when the old inner wall was finally gone. Ed's post says the dismantling was only recently completed. In 2004 that would have meant what around 1374 DR?
Durak Posted - 29 Oct 2004 : 09:53:42
Theres a town in Ireland with a Fortress type wall through it. They dont show it on maps either. maybe its just a map thing?

Maybe they dont show it cause you just cant miss it?
Kuje Posted - 27 Oct 2004 : 18:21:01
quote:
Originally posted by Jerard Doonsay

maybe the inner wall got knocked down or something. who knows.

No it didn't. There just isn't an sourcebook map that shows it. :)
Jerard Doonsay Posted - 27 Oct 2004 : 17:17:51
maybe the inner wall got knocked down or something. who knows.
Kuje Posted - 23 Oct 2004 : 01:51:27
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

I thought that there was a map of Baldur's Gate located in the Forgotten Realms Adventure Guide from 2ed. Is that map (if it is in there) accurate Kuje?

Ty

No, none of the TSR/WOTC released maps show the inner wall. :) I checked all of those sources when this poster asked over on the WOTC boards as well.
Ty Posted - 22 Oct 2004 : 19:23:22
I thought that there was a map of Baldur's Gate located in the Forgotten Realms Adventure Guide from 2ed. Is that map (if it is in there) accurate Kuje?

Ty
Kuje Posted - 22 Oct 2004 : 17:56:26
quote:
Originally posted by Jerard Doonsay

Back to the topic....

The is a nice map of the city in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. I think you can download the PDF at the Wizards site, and if not, I could get it scanned and posted in the next few days. Though I do like the in game map. It's cool.

Except that map doesn't show the inside wall either. There is no official map, except for the one that came with the BG game, that shows the inside wall. :)
Jerard Doonsay Posted - 22 Oct 2004 : 17:08:09
Back to the topic....

The is a nice map of the city in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. I think you can download the PDF at the Wizards site, and if not, I could get it scanned and posted in the next few days. Though I do like the in game map. It's cool.
Durak Posted - 22 Oct 2004 : 14:15:44
No i dont speak Russian. I learned 4 years after i created the char, what it means in russian.

So yes i am Durak Blackaxe. Or to a russian Stupid Blackaxe :(

I make it by sound it sounded dwarven when i was looking up dwarven names.

I had another character, a Paladin called Walach, found out in german Wallach means gelding.

Just not having much luck wuth creating own names.

Hope that explains my name thing.

Did the BG maps help you out?

The Wanderer Posted - 06 Oct 2004 : 15:07:15
I know this is way off-topic, but I was curious, Durak, if you spoke russian. The reason I ask is due to your name and its meaning. Just curious if it was on purpose or not... :)
Durak Posted - 06 Oct 2004 : 13:54:40
This probably isnt much help. I dont have any maps of Baldurs gate itself. But the map provided with the Computer game, Baldurs gate, shows the two walls. Maybe you can tie it in with your maps to show where it may be?

How it looks on the computer
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/baldursgate1/maps/bgmap_baldursgate.jpg
The conceptional map - Downloads Volo City Map with wall for BG
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/BGMaps.zip

Most map i have are regional maps, none are the towns themselves.
George Krashos Posted - 02 Oct 2004 : 10:29:00
The only person who could possibly help you with this, is Ed himself. You might want to move this query to the "Ed Greenwood" thread in the Novels section. I'm guessing however that the wall built many moons ago simply doesn't exist anymore, later builders having cannibalised it for stones for later walls. There is an interesting discussion on the whys and wherefores of the wall in the old 2E "Forgotten Realms Adventures" hardcover write-up of Baldur's Gate, but it doesn't talk about a location except in very general and vague terms.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000