Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Drow attitudes toward surface elves...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
arilyn742 Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 01:59:01
I notice drow seem to call the others traitors a lot. Do we know exactly what the dhaeraow (sp?) - meaning traitor - think their cousins did? Or is it simply jealousy that became part of the ideology of an entire race?

Also, I recall in Homeland the surface elves are referred to "faeries". Is that just exaggerated in that book, still common, or changed since then?

(The content of the second paragraph might just be paranoia on my part - I'm relatively new to the Realms and I basically know only what's in the modern sourcebooks and early novels, and am convinced that TSR/WotC have probably changed things radically since the early Driizzt books were written.)
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Feb 2020 : 15:29:53
Master Rupert,

haha, I like the way you put that. It almost makes me wonder if Drow wear fancy red arm bands with some sort of a design on it or something?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by arilyn742

I notice drow seem to call the others traitors a lot. Do we know exactly what the dhaeraow (sp?) - meaning traitor - think their cousins did? Or is it simply jealousy that became part of the ideology of an entire race?

'Tis propaganda. It's all about their racial pride. Were they driven underground, forced to flee from the elves they made a losing war upon? Nay! The drow deliberately sought out the cool embrace of the Underdark, leaving the wicked races of the surface to boil in the blistering sun. At least, that's the drow way of looking at it.

Barastir Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 14:42:50
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn
It's true! No rillifane or eilistraee. I don't have the book with me at the moment (it's back in Perth) but those deities are not in the book.

He was probably mentioning Monster Mythology, not Demihuman Deities. Don't remember about Eilistraee, but Rillifane was really forgotten, and an apology - along with a write-up - was published in Dragon Magazine # 191 (March 1993).

EDIT: Checked it out yesterday, Eilistraee is not there, too. So they were probably refering to Monster Mythology, as I guessed.
cpthero2 Posted - 01 Oct 2018 : 17:00:40
seeker arilyn742,

Well, the Crown Wars pretty much spelled that all out. The Dark Elves became Drow after Corellon Larethian smashed them for doing nasty stuff, including using a demon named Wendonai to corrupt those Elves. They hate each other 100%.

Best regards,

quote:

Also, I recall in Homeland the surface elves are referred to "faeries". Is that just exaggerated in that book, still common, or changed since then?

(The content of the second paragraph might just be paranoia on my part - I'm relatively new to the Realms and I basically know only what's in the modern sourcebooks and early novels, and am convinced that TSR/WotC have probably changed things radically since the early Driizzt books were written.)

Talwyn Posted - 27 Aug 2004 : 03:40:54
quote:

Wow, your copy is missing deities but not pages? I'd not heard of anyone having that problem before...

It's true! No rillifane or eilistraee. I don't have the book with me at the moment (it's back in Perth) but those deities are not in the book.
Kuje Posted - 27 Aug 2004 : 03:26:27
quote:

I thought that there was something amiss with that book.
Seriously, it didn't have Eilistraee in the drow section but had all the rest. It also missed Rillifane as well which was quite annoying for me as one of my PC's had a druid henchman who worshiped the LeafLord, yet there was nothing in there about him! He got a mention in the intro part on the Elven gods but nothing more than that.
I''d like to add there are no pages missing from that book either.
Makes you wonder who was in charge of the quality control at TSR when they published that book. Oh wait, I remember: no one was!
That's why they were taken over by WoTC and were on the verge of bankruptcy.

I say again, you got a bum copy then cause I know my copy has both deities in it. :) It had to be a printing error, so it's not really TSR's fault, just like the Eberon printing errors were not WOTC's fault.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Aug 2004 : 03:10:54
Wow, your copy is missing deities but not pages? I'd not heard of anyone having that problem before...
Talwyn Posted - 27 Aug 2004 : 01:49:00
I thought that there was something amiss with that book.
Seriously, it didn't have Eilistraee in the drow section but had all the rest. It also missed Rillifane as well which was quite annoying for me as one of my PC's had a druid henchman who worshiped the LeafLord, yet there was nothing in there about him! He got a mention in the intro part on the Elven gods but nothing more than that.
I''d like to add there are no pages missing from that book either.
Makes you wonder who was in charge of the quality control at TSR when they published that book. Oh wait, I remember: no one was!
That's why they were taken over by WoTC and were on the verge of bankruptcy.

Kuje Posted - 27 Aug 2004 : 01:20:46
quote:
Wooly, would that be the 2ndEd tome you are refering to?
I have a copy of that and I don't thin it mentioned Eilistraee at all. In fact it skipped a couple of demihuman gods completely.
I don't have any of the 3rdEd books so I can't compare but this site seems to have a lot of detail for the Drow gods.

Then you got a bum copy, because all of the remaining living drow gods of Faerun are in that 2e sourcebook. Yes Eilistraee is included as well.
Talwyn Posted - 27 Aug 2004 : 00:59:29
[quote
At a glance, that looks like the information from Demihuman Deities.
[/quote]

Wooly, would that be the 2ndEd tome you are refering to?
I have a copy of that and I don't thin it mentioned Eilistraee at all. In fact it skipped a couple of demihuman gods completely.
I don't have any of the 3rdEd books so I can't compare but this site seems to have a lot of detail for the Drow gods.
My question to all learned sages: is it Canon?
here's the site again for those interested.

http://trismegist.nm.ru/de_eilistraee_eng.html

SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 19:08:01
quote:
I haven't actually saved the URLs, sadly. Since I've got the books in print, I saw little reason to. Sorry.

A patient and thorough search using any search engine will reveal such sites. From there, it's a simple process of deciding how to save the information found.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 18:20:54
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:
And yeah, I've seen several sites that reprinted, in whole or in part, info from the three 2E god books.

could you pleas pmī me the urlīs of these sides? i have all three books (in quite different states of preservation; Faith&Avatars and Demihuman Deities are among the most frequently used book in our group) but the texts in digital form would be an immense help for assembling the information about the knightly orders of the respective faiths!

I haven't actually saved the URLs, sadly. Since I've got the books in print, I saw little reason to. Sorry.
tauster Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 17:42:45
quote:
And yeah, I've seen several sites that reprinted, in whole or in part, info from the three 2E god books.

could you pleas pmī me the urlīs of these sides? i have all three books (in quite different states of preservation; Faith&Avatars and Demihuman Deities are among the most frequently used book in our group) but the texts in digital form would be an immense help for assembling the information about the knightly orders of the respective faiths!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 17:33:23
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

If so, it's not the only site out there with information from that tome. It almost seems sometimes that a patient web browser could possibly print out the contents of the entire tome after visiting certain sites.

'Tis likely so... I know that several months ago, I found a site that appeared to have most of the contents of the various 2E Complete Handbooks posted... And yeah, I've seen several sites that reprinted, in whole or in part, info from the three 2E god books.
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 15:59:09
quote:

If so, it's not the only site out there with information from that tome. It almost seems sometimes that a patient web browser could possibly print out the contents of the entire tome after visiting certain sites.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 15:50:45
quote:

Just as a little extra information on the drow: in my wanderings, I came across this site

when looking for detailed information on the drow.
It's a Russian site but the content is mostly in english and it has an enormous amount of detail on all the drow gods.
I'm not sure if it's still an active sight and who to talk with in regards to preserving the information there.

Talwyn Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 09:09:50
Just as a little extra information on the drow: in my wanderings, I came across this site

when looking for detailed information on the drow.
It's a Russian site but the content is mostly in english and it has an enormous amount of detail on all the drow gods.
I'm not sure if it's still an active sight and who to talk with in regards to preserving the information there.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 05:22:01
quote:

So although the drow called their cousins traitors, it is they who enacted the treachery. They call the others who stood against them traitors, as civil wars are the most bitter conflicts and bred the most hatred. Also they want to see themselves as the wronged patry in the whole scheme of things, try to justify their actions somewhat.

Propaganda, as I said. It makes them look like the good guys (in their own eyes), and gives them a reason to hate elves.
Talwyn Posted - 26 Aug 2004 : 03:29:41
quote:

I thank thee, o Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen. I can understand that it's propaganda and that drow deliberately went down into their underworld, but what exactly do the drow say the "faeries" did to be called traitors?

And didn't they win the war and get punished by Corellon afterwards?

No the Drow didn't win the war they were driven underground by Corellon and the other gods of the Seldarine. Lloth was Corellon wife (Queen) and it was she that started the lust for power and dominion over all the other races of the world.
Quote from "The Complete Book of Elves" 2ed:
"The great Elf cities of old deteriorated, and the Spider Queen Lloth gained a foothold in the hearts of many Elves. They used her to gain greater power and influence, and her evil ways led them even further astray. The Elves practiced dark magic and forbidden lore to make themselves mighty, and they turned from the light they had loved so much.
The tensions grew unbearable. Tne Elves who had embraced the teachings of Lloth marched into the cities and slaughtered their brethern. The first attack came under cover of darkness...
(I'm jumping ahead here) ... The Corellon struck Lloth a telling blow, driving here deep into the earth. With her defeat, the haze over the battlefield lifted, allowing the bright rays of the sun to bathe in the land in its healing rays.
The Drow turned their faces from the suns purification, preferring instead their fallen goddess. They consciously chose the shadows over light, and Corellon decreed that such treachery would forever show upon their faces. It is for this reason that the skin of the Drow is dark."

Now that's a bit of religious propagnda from the Elves point of view and since THEY won the war, they can write the history.
However, in Ed Greenwoods "The Drow of the Underdark" he tells of a Drow sage, Shahaerynus who lived in Myth Drannor long ago and compiled a book of lore entitled "The High History of the Drow".

This is a quote from "The Drow of the Underdark":
"We know very little of the Ilythiiri, or "Elves of the South" before this crucial event (the descent). Even then, they were known as "Dark Elves", for the hue of their skins. They dwelt in jungles and hot forests of the South. A proud, warlike, culturally advanced (some sages of other elven peoples say "decadent") folk, the Ilythiiri attacked all neighbours, including other elven tribes. Their cruel raids and depridations, ordered by the warlike nobility and the clergy of the their two cruel dieties, Lloth & Ghaunadaur, forced elevs, humans dwarves and others to ally against them.
Deafeated in a series of titanic magical battles, the dark elves fled into underground warrens which they'd earlier discovered."

So although the drow called their cousins traitors, it is they who enacted the treachery. They call the others who stood against them traitors, as civil wars are the most bitter conflicts and bred the most hatred. Also they want to see themselves as the wronged patry in the whole scheme of things, try to justify their actions somewhat.

SiriusBlack Posted - 24 Aug 2004 : 00:06:32
quote:

Well according to the 3E Monster Manual and 3E FRCS "Gray Elves" correspond to sun elves in the Realms, which could be the main ones that drow are referring to. Although I think the phrase is actually used in Elfshadow to refer to moon elves (as opposed to high elves, which I think are sun elves).

The Elves of Evermeet tome established that the term "gray elf" is an insult used to refer to moon elves.
arilyn742 Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 23:10:51
Well according to the 3E Monster Manual and 3E FRCS "Gray Elves" correspond to sun elves in the Realms, which could be the main ones that drow are referring to. Although I think the phrase is actually used in Elfshadow to refer to moon elves (as opposed to high elves, which I think are sun elves).
Faraer Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 20:33:38
In the original Monster Manual, 'faerie' is a synonym of 'gray elf', though the term isn't commonly used in Realmslore for any kind of elf.
arilyn742 Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 19:59:54
I thank thee, o Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen. I can understand that it's propaganda and that drow deliberately went down into their underworld, but what exactly do the drow say the "faeries" did to be called traitors?

And didn't they win the war and get punished by Corellon afterwards?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 02:28:55
quote:

'Tis propaganda. It's all about their racial pride. Were they driven underground, forced to flee from the elves they made a losing war upon? Nay! The drow deliberately sought out the cool embrace of the Underdark, leaving the wicked races of the surface to boil in the blistering sun. At least, that's the drow way of looking at it.
Icewolf Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 02:14:34
Drow and the surface elves had a great war in ages past, and the evil drow were driven underground. That, and lots of time and hate-breeding culture shifts caused the dark elves' to resent their surface cousins.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000