Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Current state of the elves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Naeryndam Posted - 18 Jan 2022 : 22:54:29
So I'm trying to get my bearings on what the current state of elves(eladrin? I don't know anymore) in the Realms is these days. Back in the day, we at least had Evermeet, but it seems to me that they have transported it completely into Faerie now. So we seem to have gone from Retreat, to WE'RE BACK WITH A VENGEANCE, to final Retreat in a way. That rant out of the way, my understanding is that Evereska has had a rough go of it, Myth Drannor was destroyed... again and the survivors retook Semberholme. Am I missing anything or is that basically it? Ardeep and the High Forest have very few elves left and Silverymoon is mixed with humans and other races. With Evereska weakened, Evermeet largely gone from the material plane and Semberholme a pale shadow of Myth Drannor, are there really any true elven realms left in the Realms anymore?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PattPlays Posted - 18 Feb 2022 : 07:56:19
I love Eaerlann as a political stirring stick for uppity elves in the time period of 4e and 5e. There was some sort of council possibly raising a new coronal in the High Forest at the time the spellplague hit from what I remember, and then it felt like nobody's brought it up during the Wailing Years because of all the strife and the century timeskip. I've introduced a Wood Elf NPC who has delusions of grandeur of using manipulation and power to make an alliance from Everlund to Evereska. After the fall of Luruar, I'm sure some evil elves would think to use the old empire of Eaerlann's name for ill without informing their 'allies' of their intentions. It gets hard to put the old Eaerlann's alliance-making and retributive conquests on a map since 3e ruined the eastern High Forest.
Naeryndam Posted - 18 Feb 2022 : 02:23:04
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd has a half-done adventure called "Crown of Eaerlann" which will be released in due course which goes into detail regarding the High Forest and the goings on in and around the Caerilcarn (and their enemies, both hidden and in plain sight).

-- George Krashos

ohhhh that sounds really cool! I would absolutely purchase that if it becomes available on DMsguild.com.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Feb 2022 : 20:46:41
Eric Boyd has a half-done adventure called "Crown of Eaerlann" which will be released in due course which goes into detail regarding the High Forest and the goings on in and around the Caerilcarn (and their enemies, both hidden and in plain sight).

-- George Krashos
Balmar Foghaven Posted - 17 Feb 2022 : 20:32:12
I recall having read somewhere that as of the 5e timeline, there was a faction of elves who wished to restore the empire of Earlann within the High Forest (the Caerilcarn?). Is there any further mention of that movement, and if it only consisted of wood or wild elves? It would be interesting if some sun or moon elves got involved, but I doubt they would wish to bring back enough states to return things to the pre-crown war era...
sleyvas Posted - 17 Feb 2022 : 13:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Speaking of Gold Elves, I discovered an old, but fantastic fan-made Aryvandaar pdf the other day. It is entitled 'Aryvandaar, Empire of the Golden Sun' for those interested.

'Tis Snowblood's work. He had a buttload of them.

Wow you aren't kidding! I found Aryvandaar on a whim yesterday. After reading your comment, I found a treasure trove, including Ilythiir. Amazing stuff. Shame he isn't here anymore, because I would love to thank him.

He's got a pretty good one on Imaskar in there too, if you might be interested in it.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Feb 2022 : 13:21:21
quote:

Hmm, interesting information. I really feel like Evermeet being transferred back and all the technicalities associated with it are just that, technicalities. 4E made a lot of people angry and really took the Realms in a place few fans wanted to go. The whole 5E thing, for the most part, seems IMO to be them saying, "we hear you" and retconning the whole thing, but trying to do it in a way that feels as organic as possible. I don't envy them that task and on the whole, I think they actually did a pretty good job considering what they had to work with at the time.

We will likely never get any real answers regarding Evermeet's exact location, or the nature of exactly happened in those 100 years. They are moving away from the Realms and ceased publishing novels for the most part years ago now. Also... I don't think even they really know.

So back on topic, as far as I am concerned, Evermeet is back, because I think that's what WOTC has in mind. Also... it's my world when I DM lol, so if the DM says it's back, it's back.

I'd say you are correct on most of this. They blundered. They've attempted to undo it. Some people want 4e, some want earlier, some want to just try to muddle through and mix things and try to fix it. WotC doesn't seem to want to commit to anything. It's leaving a lot of us guessing. As we guess, some of us are just deciding for ourselves what we want things to be. So, for me, Evermeet is back where it was... Laerakond is displaced to the southwest of Maztica/west of Katashaka (and thus farther from Faerun, which they'll want to keep trading with, so they'll end up crossing past Lopango/Katashaka/Nimbral/Lantan). Nimbral and Lantan are back, but they may be different with a hundred years passing. Halruaa is back, but may be different with a hundred years passing, etc..
Naeryndam Posted - 17 Feb 2022 : 04:22:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Speaking of Gold Elves, I discovered an old, but fantastic fan-made Aryvandaar pdf the other day. It is entitled 'Aryvandaar, Empire of the Golden Sun' for those interested.

Wow you aren't kidding! I found Aryvandaar on a whim yesterday. After reading your comment, I found a treasure trove, including Ilythiir. Amazing stuff. Shame he isn't here anymore, because I would love to thank him.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Feb 2022 : 01:21:09
quote:

Naeryndam Posted - 17 Feb 2022 : 00:00:25
Naeryndam Posted - 16 Feb 2022 : 23:52:53
Hmm, interesting information. I really feel like Evermeet being transferred back and all the technicalities associated with it are just that, technicalities. 4E made a lot of people angry and really took the Realms in a place few fans wanted to go. The whole 5E thing, for the most part, seems IMO to be them saying, "we hear you" and retconning the whole thing, but trying to do it in a way that feels as organic as possible. I don't envy them that task and on the whole, I think they actually did a pretty good job considering what they had to work with at the time.

We will likely never get any real answers regarding Evermeet's exact location, or the nature of exactly happened in those 100 years. They are moving away from the Realms and ceased publishing novels for the most part years ago now. Also... I don't think even they really know.

So back on topic, as far as I am concerned, Evermeet is back, because I think that's what WOTC has in mind. Also... it's my world when I DM lol, so if the DM says it's back, it's back.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Feb 2022 : 12:46:17
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The thing with Evermeet is that it was always "present", it's just that in 4e was "hidden". While it's true that Evermeet was sent to the Feywild, there was a link to the island that was left in Toril, so you could always travel to Evermeet even after the Spellplague if you went to the island. Even some elves lived there, as well. It's just that elves kept this secret to themselves. And now Evermeet is back in Toril, and still in the Feywild and also in Arvandor, all at the same time.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify that stuff, that I don't know how that myth has lasted like 15 years...

Also, in theory the "non-fey" Evermeet was in theory much further south, since it was supposedly right off the coast of Laerakond, which was supposedly replacing where Maztica had been (though we were never given a world map that showed Laerakond's position relative to the Torilian coastline that I know of). What I'm about to say, I really DO NOT want, but it could be that nothing happened with Evermeet after the second sundering. Perhaps the elves are simply moving back to Toril across the planar barrier (maybe they had a population growth in the feywild.... maybe even what was a century on Toril was millenia in the feywild). They could be moving into the "non-fey" Evermeet from the "feywild" Evermeet to ease population strain. Again, I don't like that idea, but as far as I can tell its not impossible... and the ONLY reason I don't like it is that I want Evermeet physically where it was (the other parts I mention, I wouldn't have a problem with as long as the island is back where it was). In fact, if there were some weird time jump involved, one could even blame the High Magic ritual that was called the Elven Sundering which changed time rippling forward and backward.
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Feb 2022 : 03:27:49
The thing with Evermeet is that it was always "present", it's just that in 4e was "hidden". While it's true that Evermeet was sent to the Feywild, there was a link to the island that was left in Toril, so you could always travel to Evermeet even after the Spellplague if you went to the island. Even some elves lived there, as well. It's just that elves kept this secret to themselves. And now Evermeet is back in Toril, and still in the Feywild and also in Arvandor, all at the same time.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify that stuff, that I don't know how that myth has lasted like 15 years...
Ayrik Posted - 15 Feb 2022 : 02:46:47
quote:

So aside from Narbeth and Lyrandrar, are there any majority-sun elf communities of note still around?

Well, the daemonfey were definitely noteworthy.

No new lore about them since 3E times (that I'm aware of) so I guess there's still daemonfey populations around Hellgate, Lothen, and certain parts of the High Forest.
TBeholder Posted - 14 Feb 2022 : 22:25:53
quote:

So I'm trying to get my bearings on what the current state of elves(eladrin? I don't know anymore)

Mr. Welch uses "Elf 2.0". This allows to avoid the ambiguity.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 13 Feb 2022 : 23:01:25
I, too, am a huge fan of the elves (even though most seem to dislike them). Looks like other scribes have already covered things, but as was said, only a portion of Myth Drannor was actually destroyed. Fflar and Ilsevele helped the refugees and they retreated to places like Semberholme and Everska, but they're already working on rebuilding.

Evermeet is now...present again, I guess you could say. Evermeet ships have been seen in ports, and the island is now "anchored" in 3 worlds: Toril, Arvandor, and Feywild.
Naeryndam Posted - 13 Feb 2022 : 22:07:18
Thanks everyone! I just love the elves of the Realms, specifically Sun Elves. I was extremely excited when Myth Drannor was retaken, but since it has fallen and the novels have ended, there is very little official lore coming out these days.

So aside from Narbeth and Lyrandrar, are there any majority-sun elf communities of note still around?
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jan 2022 : 13:20:33
The state of the Elf-ion address is later this month (ba da bum..... HEY NO ROTTEN FRUIT .... it wasn't that bad... well... maybe it was)

Evermeet is back per the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide as well. It's almost "take a picture of 1e/2e .... same thing" at a high level.

BTW, if you're into FR elven lore, you can find snowblood's additions up on deviant art, they're pretty good.
https://www.deviantart.com/phasai/gallery?page=4
https://www.deviantart.com/phasai/gallery?page=5
https://www.deviantart.com/phasai/gallery?page=6
https://www.deviantart.com/phasai/gallery?page=7
deserk Posted - 19 Jan 2022 : 11:29:09
Ed mentioned on his tweets there are snow elf communities on the High Ice of Anauroch.

There are also large wild elf communities in the Chondalwood (and the hidden city of Rucien-Xan), Misty Vale, Shilmista, Snakewood and Methwood. There are as well wood elf communities in the High Forest, Cormanthor Forest, Forest of Lethyr, Neverwinter Wood and the Misty Forest. In the cities of Xorhun and Gildenglade in Turmish there are large communities of moon elves.

In the Volo article by Ed in Dragon Magazine 267 it is mentioned that there is a small sun elf realm on the eastern tip of the Chondalwood known as Iyrandrar, and there is a sun elf kingdom known as Narbeth in the Shalhoond north of Murghom and Semphar. There is also mentioned numerous aquatic elf domains like Aumrauth (in the Shining Sea), Mlossae (the Great Sea), Nindrol (Sea of Swords) and Ondroth (Sea of Swords).
Naeryndam Posted - 19 Jan 2022 : 04:30:59
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

As far as I am aware offhand, Evereska is in a reasonably good condition. It’s no grand kingdom/empire, but it’s solid enough.

Most of the refugees from the restored Myth Drannor which is now destroyed again, along with Ilsevele and Fflar, are based out of Semberholme, yes. There were some Adventurer’s League scenarios that involved the elves there passing quests out or hiring mercenaries (meaning the player characters) to help secure the area, make forays into Myth Drannor, and similar business. Ilsevele still has the Crownblade, presumably, and if the Warblade wasn’t lost (again) in the city-drop-bomb then they probably have that one too.

One of Ed’s more recent Twitter replies also suggests the elves have been working hard to make further inroads into Myth Drannor and secure it, especially the tombs. So the elves have certainly taken some beatings after their recent renaissance of power, though they are recovering slowly. There are still several smaller elven realms around and intact besides the fractured big ones, but they are by nature smaller and get less attention. I could theorise that the “fractured and rebuilding/restoring” is entirely deliberate on the part of Wizards of the Coast, because they’re a gaming company aiming to sell adventures and places an adventure can be set in; the theme of “help restore this broken empire and be the plucky crew returning them to glory” is a well known story beat. It seems a reasonable hypothesis.

Thanks so much! What I am trying to do is compile a list of the smaller realms and settlements as of 'present day' FR as many of the older ones I was familiar with have changed. This doesn't need to be exhaustive, but the larger of the small so to speak. Please feel free to correct/add to the list!

Main Elven Realms
- Myth Drannor- mostly Semberholme and making inroads elsewhere
- Evereska

Smaller Communities
- Auseriel- may be a larger realm, but little has been written
- Sarifal- also may be a larger realm, but I am not very familiar.

- Evermeet- largely in Faerie, some small communities remain on the island on Toril
- Silverymoon
- The High Forest (Wild Elves)
- Ardeep (Just House Floshin, may be abandoned)
- The Wealdath
- Tangled Trees (although I believe it was destroyed)
- Elventree
- Forest of Amtar (Wild Elves)
- Yuirwood (Star Elves)
- Rhymanthiin- Primarily restored Dark Elves.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jan 2022 : 02:53:20
Only a small portion of Myth Drannor was destroyed.
Eldacar Posted - 19 Jan 2022 : 02:49:32
As far as I am aware offhand, Evereska is in a reasonably good condition. It’s no grand kingdom/empire, but it’s solid enough.

Most of the refugees from the restored Myth Drannor which is now destroyed again, along with Ilsevele and Fflar, are based out of Semberholme, yes. There were some Adventurer’s League scenarios that involved the elves there passing quests out or hiring mercenaries (meaning the player characters) to help secure the area, make forays into Myth Drannor, and similar business. Ilsevele still has the Crownblade, presumably, and if the Warblade wasn’t lost (again) in the city-drop-bomb then they probably have that one too.

One of Ed’s more recent Twitter replies also suggests the elves have been working hard to make further inroads into Myth Drannor and secure it, especially the tombs. So the elves have certainly taken some beatings after their recent renaissance of power, though they are recovering slowly. There are still several smaller elven realms around and intact besides the fractured big ones, but they are by nature smaller and get less attention. I could theorise that the “fractured and rebuilding/restoring” is entirely deliberate on the part of Wizards of the Coast, because they’re a gaming company aiming to sell adventures and places an adventure can be set in; the theme of “help restore this broken empire and be the plucky crew returning them to glory” is a well known story beat. It seems a reasonable hypothesis.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000