Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Quick Question: Starym and half-elves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Eldacar Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 00:15:35
As a quick question about the Starym clan, are or were there any known half-elves born into the Starym bloodline in published lore? My own search didn’t turn up any names, but others here may have a greater library of knowledge to draw on than I do.

I would imagine, given the supremely conservative and generally anti-human (or anti-anythingnotelf?) attitudes of the Starym, that any such half-elves would be immediately deemed illegitimate (so none actually “kept within” the clan proper; more likely Khelben’s childhood as Arun’s Son 2.0 except possibly with more abuse) and probably cast out as soon as they and the unfortunate parent(s) were discovered, but I’m wondering if there are some actual known instances of it happening all the same.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 05 Jan 2022 : 16:00:21
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Keep in mind, also, that Steven Schend is a fan of the principal that if there's no body, then death is not certain. While Josidiah's failure to turn up anywhere else, later, is a very strong argument for his death, it's possible that neither he nor the blade were found because some magic whisked them elsewhere. I'm not aware of anything that supports that idea, other than the fact it would take a very hot fire indeed to destroy a sword without leaving any traces behind.

Or elseWHEN
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jan 2022 : 14:59:53
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Don't forget, the bloodline of Josidiah Starym likely escaped the fall of Myth Drannor
Wait... I thought Josidiah was missing-presumed-dead in The Battle of Stars Shining? And there was not even a hint that he stopped mourning for Aravae and found someone before that?
quote:
Fall of Myth Drannor
The fires claimed Josidiah and the Artblade as well, as no
trace of him or the great sword remained when the blaze died
down enough to approach where he stood!

Just because Josidiah himself fell, it doesn't mean he didn't have surviving family -- parents, siblings, even potentially his own offspring.

If I was going to do anything with a non-evil Starym, I'd likely either have Josidiah secretly wedding shortly before Myth Drannor's fall, or maybe he had at least one illegitimate offspring.

Keep in mind, also, that Steven Schend is a fan of the principal that if there's no body, then death is not certain. While Josidiah's failure to turn up anywhere else, later, is a very strong argument for his death, it's possible that neither he nor the blade were found because some magic whisked them elsewhere. I'm not aware of anything that supports that idea, other than the fact it would take a very hot fire indeed to destroy a sword without leaving any traces behind.
TBeholder Posted - 05 Jan 2022 : 10:22:33
Depends on the attitudes? It's a big clan.
quote:
Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves
(p.40)
523 Year of Trials Arcane
Younger moon elven members of the Starym
clan return from Eaerlann, Illefarn, and else-
where to Myth Drannor. Their arrival restores
House Starym as a social power in the city, and
the new arrivals usurp the House lordship, as its
heir Josidiah Starym is absent on a quest.
(p.118)
...after the Opening, nearly the entire clan aban-
doned Myth Drannor entirely, though one family fourth in line
to the House remained with its gold and moon elf brood to try
and repair the House's honor. Within a few short decades, the
unreproachable honor of Taleisin and Josidiah Starym gave the
house greater respectability among the Coronal's Court than it
had in centuries.

Thus not only it was a mixed (Gold/Silver) House, but even in Cormanthyr there were at least 4 distinct families of them, and at least 4 branches elsewhere that moved in. Plus those who didn't (it's not explicitly stated one way or another, but probably someone would stay behind).
They are unlikely to be all in complete agreement on, well, just about anything.
Amount of hot-headedness and arrogance may vary greatly. Not everyone had the same habits even in the Old Cormanthan branch before mythal.
I mean, even Uldreiyn Starym said that armed temper tantrum in the palace was shameful. Some of them needed to be told this, others may be further to the other side in their attitudes.
They somehow had Josidiah, too. Presumably (as the older bladesinger) Taleisin was his teacher, and the views of a veteran like him are likely to differ from that of city snobs or noisy "ardavanshee".
Even those who need to blame someone for everything that went wrong with their family have a choice: Eltargrim, humans, rival families who didn't let them prove their worth and rise again this or that time, or their own relatives who were too full of themselves.
And after Myth Drannor fell, all this was somewhat less important (if occasionally inconvenient, such as the feud with Orbryn), they all became refugees.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Don't forget, the bloodline of Josidiah Starym likely escaped the fall of Myth Drannor
Wait... I thought Josidiah was missing-presumed-dead in The Battle of Stars Shining? And there was not even a hint that he stopped mourning for Aravae and found someone before that?
quote:
Fall of Myth Drannor
The fires claimed Josidiah and the Artblade as well, as no
trace of him or the great sword remained when the blaze died
down enough to approach where he stood!
Eldacar Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 15:59:46
Thanks for the quick answers! I hadn’t considered Josidiah or even that he might have had others in his bloodline. But perhaps sadly not through Aravae, at least, unless something happened during those two decades she was adventuring with him.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 02:31:25
I'd suspect that aside from Josidiah Starym's line, the rest of the Starym wouldn't deign to interact with "lesser" races and that Starym half-elves would be exceedingly rare -- and likely disowned before birth, at the very least.
George Krashos Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 01:38:33
No known instances. But I'm sure there are some. Don't forget, the bloodline of Josidiah Starym likely escaped the fall of Myth Drannor and mingled with the world around it.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000