Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D Setting Survey from WotC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 05 Nov 2021 : 14:57:06
You pick your 3 favourite settings, then pick your favourite setting from among those 3, turn you get a multiple choice question on the things you like from the setting from a list of options (except Theros and Ravnica when only get a comment field because they don't have the same feedback from D&D fans that classic settings have yet).

There sadly a ton of stupid questions after that, although it does also ask you about Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set.

The Survey is below.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6548472/dd?sglocale=en&src=twitter
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 08 Nov 2021 : 17:08:06
I did the survey and put the Realms as my favorite. But, I won't lie I'm always excited for the prospect of playing D&D in more Magic: the Gathering settings, especially Dominaria (yes, there's a PDF of this) and possibly Phyrexia.

I got into Magic far earlier than I did D&D and read a lot of the novel lines too, so I always felt that there should've been a connection to the two far earlier than now.
DeBasilisk Posted - 08 Nov 2021 : 16:44:45
Filled it out and sent the link to my FR gaming group.

For my part, I buy the “realms” adventures and the generic stuff like Xanathar or Tashas, but have not bought any of the other books with the exception of the first Strahd. But none of the MtG books at all. I like the game Magic and loves the Forgotten Realms magic set, but I really do not want the magic settings in my DnD and don’t want them dedicating production time they could be spending on FR lore books to be spent on MtG crossover, even though I am positive that is where they are headed more and more.
AuldDragon Posted - 08 Nov 2021 : 16:04:47
I chose Spelljammer as my favorite setting, which had the perfect "tell me you don't understand Spelljammer in one sentence" option in the section about why it was my favorite:
"Sci-fi and Fantasy Blend: I like the sci-fi genre/I like the blend between sci-fi and fantasy."

It made me cringe so hard. At least they gave the option to type in something else, so I took the opportunity to say otherwise.

Jeff
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 15:51:40
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

At this point I refuse to buy any more of their books. I'd much rather spend it on works the scribes here produce or trinkets off Etsy.

I'm still buying their books, but very rarely am I paying full price for them in a brick and mortar store... I've actually gotten a fair amount of stuff for well under cover price, on eBay.

Once upon a time, I didn't spend any gaming money that wasn't going towards TSR/WotC. I would not buy any D&D compatible stuff if it wasn't official D&D material. The first time I strayed from this pattern, with one of the Grimtooth's Traps books, it reinforced me avoiding third party stuff.

It was actually the 3E-era OGL that made me relax my attitude, there.

But then 4E came out. And I went from running to my FLGS, on my lunch break, on new release day, to waiting until I could get a bargain on eBay. And the amount of money I was willing to give other companies started increasing...

So now I'm prolly spending 4 or 5 times as much on non-WotC stuff as I am on WotC stuff. Most of it is going to Catalyst, Kobold Press, Paizo, Monte Cook Games, and Kickstarter.

And until WotC goes back to giving us real setting material for the Realms, and not the current shtick of "Here's an adventure with the absolute bare minimum (if that much!) amount of lore to support just that adventure and not a single step outside the bounds we created," then I'm going to continue giving a lot more money to other companies.

Especially when that bare minimum amount of lore is jokey or takes a token bit of older lore and mangles it.
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 14:18:29
Why would they care about robust history etc, they are only going to blow the setting up and ignore the robust history etc.
sleyvas Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 13:24:36
Yeah, I completed it, but I was not liking some of the questions like "how much have you spent in the last 6 months on core rulebooks"..... and I'm like "I have all 3 5e books, but I didn't buy them in the last 6 months"... so I'm hoping that doesn't skew their outlook on things. I'll give them, it was pretty thorough.... and Gelcur's question is pertinent "will they use this and how". For instance, will age put you at the bottom of the pile of groups to consider as they try to bring in a younger market, or will that instead give more weight to the idea that you may have more clarity on where they should go with things.

That being said, where did this originally come from (like where did the original poster find this link... and are we sure its put out by WotC? I only ask because after having done it that it doesn't appear to be a wizards web site... but they probably paid a 3rd party to do the survey).
Gelcur Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 03:23:35
Not to defend WotC by any means but they did have some good sections in ther.

Under "Why is X your favorite setting?" they had "Robust History and Source Material".
They asked which editions of D&D have you played.
They had a place to list unofficial accessories purchased, though it would have been nice if you could add a box for each rather than a long list.
There were a few places where I could tell them I had no interest in all their "cross-over" stuff whether it be with cartoons or with MTG.
They got to see how much ridiculous money I drop on "D&D" that doesn't go to them.
There was a box where I could type free form so hopefully someone will read I don't like where things are heading.

Real question is will they do anything with this? And if they do what will they do to mend the damage done? At this point I refuse to buy any more of their books. I'd much rather spend it on works the scribes here produce or trinkets off Etsy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 02:11:01
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

This was a pretty good survey. I was surprised to see some of the lesser-known D&D settings get mentioned. WotC planning a Birthright revival anytime soon?

I think it will depend in large part on surveys like this one.

I did have a couple of issues with the survey... They asked multiple questions about "what kinds of books are you buying?" but none of the options were just setting books. Aside from the "why do you like this setting?" question, setting lore was only mentioned like once in 79 questions.

And aside from the question on "how much have you spent in the last 6 months?" there wasn't any real mention of what non-D&D stuff people are buying. I myself have bought Shadowrun, BattleTech, Starfinder, Pathfinder 2e, stuff from Monte Cook Games, 5E stuff from Kobold Press, the 13th Age core book, and Kickstarter stuff, all within the last 6 months. Heck, I even made a purchase of some 2E D&D material, just yesterday (more on that later!). The amount I've spent on gaming stuff has increased, but the amount of that money that WotC's gotten has decreased.
TKU Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 00:14:31
This was a pretty good survey. I was surprised to see some of the lesser-known D&D settings get mentioned. WotC planning a Birthright revival anytime soon?
HighOne Posted - 05 Nov 2021 : 17:46:47
It took a while, but I filled it out.
Gelcur Posted - 05 Nov 2021 : 16:24:58
I would recommend people take the survey. It is a bit long but there are sections where you can fill in how much you spend on wizards products and non-official wizards gaming products. There is also a section to list non-official wizards products you have purchased, LIKE anything you have bought from our great scribes over on DMsGuild. There is also a section where you can prioritize what you would like to see in books you buy, rank up backstory/history and down rank feats/spells, etc.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000