Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Documentary of a Hardcore FR game server

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Horatio Posted - 27 Jul 2021 : 10:03:48
This documentary tells the story of a Forgotten Realms hardcore role-playing community that existed back in 2003-2004 through the game Neverwinter Nights, It shows the amazing collaborative storytelling was accomplished therein, as though we were characters from a fantasy novel...

https://youtu.be/C3epaXCW1ac

It also shows the true beauty of permadeath, of players-driven hamlets and community-based roleplay, of the feeling of a "world" united by a cause...a true epic fantasy that we lived through.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fayne Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 06:43:33
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Originally posted by Fayne

... They have permadeath, but there are resurrections and raise dead spells. Just no respawn.

If they make resurrection-type magics cheap then they also cheapen the meaning of heroic risk, loss, sacrifice, and death.

True, but still more risk than just being able to respawn. And on a slow leveling, roleplay server, it is not guarantied that you will be able to get a raise dead or resurrection. It would require a cleric of at least level 9 to be with you. And survive.
Ayrik Posted - 29 Oct 2021 : 20:18:16
quote:
Originally posted by Fayne

... They have permadeath, but there are resurrections and raise dead spells. Just no respawn.

If they make resurrection-type magics cheap then they also cheapen the meaning of heroic risk, loss, sacrifice, and death.
Fayne Posted - 29 Oct 2021 : 17:20:21
ALFA is still around, both on NWN and NWN2. They have permadeath, but there are resurrections and raise dead spells. Just no respawn.
Horatio Posted - 01 Aug 2021 : 08:11:07
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

The true genius of NWN was the toolset and the multiplayer servers. The games were fine but the number of MMO servers that existed was amazing.

Another great one was A Land Far Away, ALFA, all RP, perma-death, SLOW leveling, personalized DMing. It took place in the Faerun proper had a dozen or so servers each a different region and roughly 500 players at its height, if I remember right.

Some of the best RPing I have seen in my life, it wasn't a "mindless" video game about leveling, it was an escape from the real world.

Well said, ALFA was never as popular as Haze but lasted a lot longer, btw here's shorter documentary about Neverwinter Nights and Haze that may be relevant for a person whose a 45 mins documentary is too much for:

https://youtu.be/iTEMfsAvqOc

IMO without permadeath it's a game, with permadeath it's a story. So much more intensity when you add it... too bad it's such a rarity... here is a summary of just how rare permadeath is in role-playing servers:

https://youtu.be/XmzCRtmhe38
Lord Karsus Posted - 31 Jul 2021 : 15:37:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That was my first MMO. I only played for a few months, and I had no idea what I was doing for a lot of it!

One of my Lords of Waterdeep was inspired by the one SWG toon I had.

-Here's a link to it. I bought a physical copy when a while ago when it first came out from either Amazon or eBay, but it looks like they aren't doing physical copies anymore. But, hey, it's a free PDF, so even better:
https://jamesmcrosby.itch.io/galaxiesthebook

-Related, this was another really fun read, from Bill Slavicsek about the role he and the other West End designers had on establishing the EU in all of the RPG materials they created. The current people/corporation could learn a thing or two from their dedication, if you ask me:
https://www.amazon.com/Defining-Galaxy-Years-Far-Away/dp/1729574939/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=defining+a+galaxy&qid=1627742176&sr=8-2
Gelcur Posted - 31 Jul 2021 : 05:52:24
Not really RP but epicly serious MMO EVE online I have heard amazing tales about. I have always wanted to try it but I always come to the conclusion, it would literally suck up every moment of my life if I were to devote to it what the game requires.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Jul 2021 : 04:52:09
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I never even played it, but I read a book about the history of Star Wars Galaxies, and it really is fascinating the degree to which people take some MMOs seriously and build something authentic.

That was my first MMO. I only played for a few months, and I had no idea what I was doing for a lot of it!

One of my Lords of Waterdeep was inspired by the one SWG toon I had.
Lord Karsus Posted - 31 Jul 2021 : 04:09:31
-I never even played it, but I read a book about the history of Star Wars Galaxies, and it really is fascinating the degree to which people take some MMOs seriously and build something authentic.
Gelcur Posted - 30 Jul 2021 : 18:37:12
The true genius of NWN was the toolset and the multiplayer servers. The games were fine but the number of MMO servers that existed was amazing.

Another great one was A Land Far Away, ALFA, all RP, perma-death, SLOW leveling, personalized DMing. It took place in the Faerun proper had a dozen or so servers each a different region and roughly 500 players at its height, if I remember right.

Some of the best RPing I have seen in my life, it wasn't a "mindless" video game about leveling, it was an escape from the real world.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000