Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Humanoid races and alcohol brewing preferences?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 20 Oct 2021 : 04:54:01
Coming from a family of whom some members are alcohol/liquor connoisseurs (you should see my brother's collection, for one; he's got whisky, mead, cider, you name it), I got to thinking about this. Which humanoid races likely brew and consume which types of alcohol the most. Here's what I was thinking, based by the core races in the Realms.

Humans: Most likely beer and ale, with pockets of other beverages depending on region.

Dwarves: Mead most of all, followed by ale.

Elves: Wine most of all. Maybe some brandy as well.

Gnomes: These guys I see making stronger spirits like whisky or gin.

Halflings: Can't say for certain, but I'd argue for cider being the brew these guys specialize in above all else.

Orcs: Most likely if these brutes make any liquor of their own, it's likely crude stuff akin to Pruno that's made by real-life prisoners, or moonshine. Otherwise, they likely get their liquor by looting from their victims.

Goblinoids: Similar to above, at least as far as looting.

Any ideas, folks?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Nov 2021 : 04:18:22
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

Distinctions should be made between brewers, distillers, and fermenters when it comes to making the various types of alcohol. Different skill sets, processes, and tools are required for each.

I keep seeing "elves & wine, elves & wine, elves & wine" like a mantra ever since it was first penned by Tolkien. The elves that have been made in fantasy inspired by Tolkien may like wine but the derivative elves' preference to reside in tall-tree forests severely limits their ability to grow the necessary grapes themselves meanwhile wild grapes are destructive to forests which would just be viewed as a threat by the elves. As far as I saw of it, only Evereska in the FR could ever support more than trace production of wine compared to its elf population which would render the elves as mostly importers of wine with domestic production unable to produce enough to satisfy their own needs. This along with the unpleasant-to-be-around rotting process (Moander! just kidding) necessary to alcohol production should render elf-produced wines as rare treasures instead of common staples. By contrast there are other naturally occurring woodland comestibles (fruits, berries, nuts, & seeds) that would make more sense for the elves to malt or ferment. Consider the list of alcoholic drinks made in the RW from which we can derive other vices of the elves that make sense to their forest-centrist colonization of the FR.

Well, let's not forget, not every surface Elf lived quite like that. Wood Elves and Wild Elves, more likely. Sun Elves most likely lived in more traditional Elven dwellings in Evermeet and (as you pointed out) Evereska. Moon Elves, maybe. Also, they're noted in various sources at not just living in forests/trees, but some plains and valleys as well.

I'm wondering if, given millennia of plant cultivation and the fact that they've used magic to shape plants before, maybe elves have overcome the issues SaMoCon noted.

It's also not impossible that elves have greenhouses and can grow grapes and other plants under highly controlled conditions, year-round.
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Nov 2021 : 03:36:35
I made up a few orc drinks:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22113&
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 08 Nov 2021 : 02:00:35
quote:

Distinctions should be made between brewers, distillers, and fermenters when it comes to making the various types of alcohol. Different skill sets, processes, and tools are required for each.

I keep seeing "elves & wine, elves & wine, elves & wine" like a mantra ever since it was first penned by Tolkien. The elves that have been made in fantasy inspired by Tolkien may like wine but the derivative elves' preference to reside in tall-tree forests severely limits their ability to grow the necessary grapes themselves meanwhile wild grapes are destructive to forests which would just be viewed as a threat by the elves. As far as I saw of it, only Evereska in the FR could ever support more than trace production of wine compared to its elf population which would render the elves as mostly importers of wine with domestic production unable to produce enough to satisfy their own needs. This along with the unpleasant-to-be-around rotting process (Moander! just kidding) necessary to alcohol production should render elf-produced wines as rare treasures instead of common staples. By contrast there are other naturally occurring woodland comestibles (fruits, berries, nuts, & seeds) that would make more sense for the elves to malt or ferment. Consider the list of alcoholic drinks made in the RW from which we can derive other vices of the elves that make sense to their forest-centrist colonization of the FR.

Well, let's not forget, not every surface Elf lived quite like that. Wood Elves and Wild Elves, more likely. Sun Elves most likely lived in more traditional Elven dwellings in Evermeet and (as you pointed out) Evereska. Moon Elves, maybe. Also, they're noted in various sources at not just living in forests/trees, but some plains and valleys as well.
Ayrik Posted - 08 Nov 2021 : 01:54:34
Why would all races necessarily prefer alcoholic, fermented, intoxicating beverages in the first place?

Human children naturally find the tastes of alcohols revolting. So alcohol consumption must be the result of acquired taste - a learned behaviour - acquired from social conformity with cultural expectations.
Indeed, not all human adults enjoy alcohols. Many drink rarely, if at all, because they simply dislike the taste and would prefer other beverages. Some cannot imagine life without booze - it's an important fixture in their daily lives - but others can easily ignore alcohol entirely.

We all know that dwarves love drinking a lot of rotgut. Described as truly potent stuff which will knock a human under the table.

We all know that elves like drinking their precious sparkling evermead. And we assume it's some sort of wine or champaign, something alcoholic. But we also know that elves have delicate constitutions which are averse to toxins. For all we know, evermead is basically bubbly nectar or ginger ale.

We all know that orcs are rough and brutish creatures. So we assume they enjoy gulping down any strong drink they can find, no matter how potent or gruesome it may be. But for all we know, orcs are just as happy drinking orange juice as fortified whiskey. They might have crude palettes which can barely differentiate tastes anyhow, and they certainly don't need to intake alcohol to become morose and bellicose creatures.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 08 Nov 2021 : 01:42:57
Now, concerning vodka, I was thinking about it other day, and I would argue for that being most likely human in origin, namely originating in Ruathym. If it does appear in the North, perhaps it was introduced to the population by Uther Gardolfson and his men? Don't know if that sound logical but it was the best idea I have.

Duergar would have drinks (likely akin to ale) made from somewhat similar sources as the Drow, but would likely taste horrid, even by the standards of Shield or Gold Dwarf standards (which are likely very high). Don't forget, Duergar are a very sullen, bitter species, and many aspects of their culture reflect that.

According to Races of Faerun, the Svirfneblin of Blidgenstone made a special wine out of a combination of underground herbs/plants and magic water from the Fountains of Memory called Gogondy, which also appeared in the novel Ascendancy of the Last. Not too far fetched to have them making something similar but non-magical, or possibly trade with other Underdark denizens in Mantol-Derith for whatever they have.

sleyvas Posted - 05 Nov 2021 : 23:03:02
quote:

THAT goodsir is an interesting point.
SaMoCon Posted - 05 Nov 2021 : 16:38:05

sleyvas Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 18:34:52
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

No offense, but could we try to steer the thread back towards the main topic?

Oh, sorry man, I have a tendency to stray.

So, to kind of bring it back to topic.... what kind of options can you think of to do an "artificer" who is a variant of alchemist, but whose main focus is on brewing alcohols?
sleyvas Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 18:31:28
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Sometimes the greatest of "crimes" - the ones carrying the most harsh penalties - aren't anything actually criminal.
It's just refusing to submit authority to those who have assumed it. A poor choice when everyone else gives them the authority to have power over deviants.

Although offending Lolth is far worse than offending a mere Mayor, Lord or Lady, King or Queen. It's angering an archfiend from the Abyss.

It does seem strange to me that Lolth would impose rules and punishments designed to maintain a structured and stable social hierarchy. That sort of thinking is the hallmark of Lawful Evil devils, not Chaotic Evil demons (especially when they are also archetype deities for a Chaotic Evil and fey-inclined race).

It may be that those individuals were set to organize the drow, and as a result, they were a threat to making them realize what crap their environment is like. Thus, they were a threat to the chaos.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 13:01:25
No offense, but could we try to steer the thread back towards the main topic?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 05:52:52
quote:

Some may remain "intact" after their transformation while others may have been "damaged" by the transformation - and the latter might even be a vengeful or punitive measure from Lolth (or her Priestesses), deliberately inflicted on (or reserved for) the most obnoxious and unfortunate offenders.

I think is the best approach. Someone transformed to a drider has a chance to retain their mental faculties -- but there's also a chance they could be overwhelmed by the transformation, becoming the near-mindless monsters that I was thinking of. These monstrous ones may be able to recover, but having failed once, it's tougher to come back from it.
Ayrik Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 05:33:54
Driders don't need to all interchangeably fit the same stat blocks. In fact it seems unlikely that any two driders will be exactly alike - given the wide range of individual variations in their original species - given the twisted demonic magics which create their new species.

Some may have been intelligent spellcasters before their transformation. Some may have been unintelligent brutes before their transformation. Some may remain "intact" after their transformation while others may have been "damaged" by the transformation - and the latter might even be a vengeful or punitive measure from Lolth (or her Priestesses), deliberately inflicted on (or reserved for) the most obnoxious and unfortunate offenders. Different drider subtypes may even exist simply because sometimes you need a cunning and sneaky guard dog, sometimes you need a big mindless dangerous war dog, sometimes you need a mix of both kinds to throw resourceful intruders/adventurers off balance, and sometimes an evil drow priestess might need to make a "special example" to motivate certain individuals or houses towards (or away from) certain life choices.

I think it's foolish to assume every drider is nearly identical, just as it's foolish to assume every adventurer is nearly identical. Each drider has a complete backstory full of sad events which led to the tragic transformation, we aren't given (don't really need to know) the details and chances are that the drider isn't very talkative about it anyhow.
I think it could safely be assumed that the driders we've read about in adventures, sourcebooks, modules, and novels were the particular ad-hoc variants which happened to best fit the needs of the narratives.
Stones Finder Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 04:44:51
The original 1e write-up of driders said that at around Level 6-8, all drow were put to a test by Lolth, and the ones who failed became driders. Little was said about what the test was, but IIRC correctly, the Queen of the Demonweb Pits module had a room where players could encounter a group of drow undertaking the Test of Lolth, which involved looting a trapped chest. The implication is that the Test was nothing more than a standard dungeon crawl.

1e driders explicitly retained their spellcasting abilities - even the clerics. In the novel Homeland, RAS has Drizzt encounter a couple of driders, and concludes that they're mindless combat machines who want nothing more than their own deaths. His mother then threatens him with driderhood if he continues to misbehave. A few books later, Drizzt's older brother Dinin is turned into a drider after he annoys little sister Vierna. It's been a long time with since I've read The Legacy, but I think his fight with Drizzt showed him to be an unthinking monster.

And so, RAS turned driders from failed adventurers to any drow who'd ticked off Lolth or her priestesses. Unless you count the Maztica trilogy, I don't think we saw driders in the novels again until the War of the Spider Queen, where they were intelligent enough to attempt a coup in Menzoberranzen.

On the other hand, the post-Spellplague Drizzt novels feature driders who are smart enough to be bribed with the promise of a noble House of their own. Relentless, the last Drizzt novel I'm likely to buy, had a large number of dead driders returned from the Demonweb Pits and returned to life and their original forms - including Dinin.

In short, drider continuity was a mess even before WOTC jettisoned canon entirely. DMs should use whatever version works for their stories.
Kentinal Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 02:09:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Huh. For some reason, I thought it was only the males who were subjected to that particular punishment. (Which I still don't understand, as a punishment: "According to our goddess, you're a loser! So we're going to make you more like her, as punishment for being a loser!")

One POSSIBLE way to explain it (because yeah, I get the same feeling) is... she was punished in the same way by the leader of the elves. However, SHE worked past it, and she CAN appear in her original form IF SHE WANTS TO.... so these failures can figure out how to get past their own punishment and redeem themselves JUST LIKE HER if they don't like it. Oh, then you have to add "So THERE, nani nani boo boo... stick your head in mushrooroo".

Yeah, but don't they take a major hit to the mental capacities, when transformed to a drider?

It may depend on Edition, however most appear to indicate memories are retained. Which is why they can cast spells. Their Comeliness (If used) takes a major hit. They are socially not acceptable in Drow society. Perhaps driven somewhat insane? (Though never saw a source that states that)
Ayrik Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 01:57:43
Sometimes the greatest of "crimes" - the ones carrying the most harsh penalties - aren't anything actually criminal.
It's just refusing to submit authority to those who have assumed it. A poor choice when everyone else gives them the authority to have power over deviants.

Although offending Lolth is far worse than offending a mere Mayor, Lord or Lady, King or Queen. It's angering an archfiend from the Abyss.

It does seem strange to me that Lolth would impose rules and punishments designed to maintain a structured and stable social hierarchy. That sort of thinking is the hallmark of Lawful Evil devils, not Chaotic Evil demons (especially when they are also archetype deities for a Chaotic Evil and fey-inclined race).
sleyvas Posted - 30 Oct 2021 : 00:36:11
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Stones Finder

Driders ... were made from drow who failed Lolth's test of competence.

Driders were drow who failed Lolth's test of "competence" or who failed Lolth's test of "loyalty"?

Were driders true incompetents lacking in desired physical prowess and mental faculties? Pathetic creatures reshaped into something useful?

Or were driders "incompetent" in the context of being disruptive and dangerously nonconforming individuals? Those who dared to defy Lolth's matriarchally-dominant designs?

I like that last take. They were punished for not conforming to Lolth and turned into outsiders forced from the community. Some tried to "become worthy" and continued to serve her, and Lolth used them.
Ayrik Posted - 29 Oct 2021 : 22:13:48
quote:
Originally posted by Stones Finder

Driders ... were made from drow who failed Lolth's test of competence.

Driders were drow who failed Lolth's test of "competence" or who failed Lolth's test of "loyalty"?

Were driders true incompetents lacking in desired physical prowess and mental faculties? Pathetic creatures reshaped into something useful?

Or were driders "incompetent" in the context of being disruptive and dangerously nonconforming individuals? Those who dared to defy Lolth's matriarchally-dominant designs?
sleyvas Posted - 29 Oct 2021 : 21:13:56
quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh. For some reason, I thought it was only the males who were subjected to that particular punishment. (Which I still don't understand, as a punishment: "According to our goddess, you're a loser! So we're going to make you more like her, as punishment for being a loser!")

One POSSIBLE way to explain it (because yeah, I get the same feeling) is... she was punished in the same way by the leader of the elves. However, SHE worked past it, and she CAN appear in her original form IF SHE WANTS TO.... so these failures can figure out how to get past their own punishment and redeem themselves JUST LIKE HER if they don't like it. Oh, then you have to add "So THERE, nani nani boo boo... stick your head in mushrooroo".

Yeah, but don't they take a major hit to the mental capacities, when transformed to a drider?

Not that I ever noted. Many of them were still high level spellcasters in earlier editions, etc....
Stones Finder Posted - 28 Oct 2021 : 02:45:09
Driders in 1e retained their minds and spellcasting abilities, and were made from drow who failed Lolth's test of competence. Driders as mindless melee machines with a death wish was an RAS innovation - dating back to Homeland, IIRC.

Of course, in the years since, RAS has written about driders that were intelligent enough to have their own House...
sfdragon Posted - 27 Oct 2021 : 08:30:09
think elves would prefer mead and wine actually. Mead being made from honey.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Oct 2021 : 03:16:15
quote:

quote:

Delnyn Posted - 27 Oct 2021 : 01:29:56
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Drow fondness for drider milk might explain why driders always seem to be pissed off, and hate the drow so much.....

How does a drow milk a drider? Sounds extremely dangerous.
BenN Posted - 27 Oct 2021 : 00:02:46
Drow fondness for drider milk might explain why driders always seem to be pissed off, and hate the drow so much.....
sleyvas Posted - 26 Oct 2021 : 23:48:04
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2021 : 20:04:00
Zeromaru X Posted - 26 Oct 2021 : 19:16:05
Just to clarify, there were female driders in 4e as well. I remember that because there is an adventure where a mad female drider believes herself an exarch of Lolth.
sleyvas Posted - 26 Oct 2021 : 19:03:18
quote:

Are there female driders?

Good question in today's woke culture..... let's just say "there were male and female driders". I want to say that in every edition where I've significantly looked I've seen text like the below (so at least until 4e).

From Queen of the Demonweb Pits

22. TEMPLE OF THE TRUE LOLTH: While the characters are opening
the door hidden by the illusion, Lolth will be preparing for their
arrival in her temple. Here to assist her will be 10 giant solifugids
(AC 4, MV 12", HD 6+6, #AT 2 or 1, D grip or 4-16, grip with leg
attack gives +3 on beak attack, beak does damage indicated),
10 giant pedipalpi (AC 2, MV 6", HD 4+4, #AT 3, D 1-8/1-8/2-8,
grip gives automatic hits, poison gas 20' radius— save vs. poison
or -3 on "to hit" rolls for 1-6 rounds), and 2 driders (AC 3, MV 12",
HD 6+6, hp given below, #AT 1, D 1-4, plus save vs. poison or
paralysis, spells), one male and one female.

The female drider (hp 29) knows the following spells:
Innate, each once per day: clairvoyance, dancing lights,
darkness*, detect lie, detect magic, dispel
magic, faerie fire, know alignment, levitate,
suggestion
First level: bless (C1r, R60', DR 6r), command (C 1s R 10'),
protection from good* (C 4s, DR 21 r)
Second level: hold person (C 5s, R 60', DR 11r), resist fire (C 5s.
DR 7t), silence, 15' radius (C 5s, R 120' DR 14r)
Third level: animate dead (C 1r, R 10'), bestow curse* (C 6s)
Fourth level: cause serious wounds* (C 7s)

The male drider (hp 42) knows the following spells:
Innate, each once per day: dancing lights, darkness*, detect
magic, faerie fire, know alignment, levitate
First level: magic missile (x2, C 1s, R 140'), reduce (C 1s, R 40'
DR 8t), shield (C 1s, DR 4t)
Second level: invisibility (C 2s),stinking cloud (C 2s, R 30', DR
8r)
Third level: fireball (x2, C 3s, R 180'), slow (C 3s, R 170', DR 11r)
Fourth level: fumble (C 4s, R 80', DR 8r) ice storm (C 4s, R 80')
Spell abbreviations used include C (casting time), R (range), DR
(duration), s (segments), r (rounds), t (turns), and an asterisk (*) to
indicate a reversed effect.
These
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2021 : 14:07:06
Are there female driders?
sleyvas Posted - 26 Oct 2021 : 12:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:
Drow might drink drider milk.

I suddenly had visions of that scene from Meet The Parents, with Ben Stiller demonstrating how to milk a cat:

https://tenor.com/I6KW.gif

Considering drider breasts come on top of essentially drow female bodies.....

Hmmm, that opens up a rather odd question though. Driders are sterile no? I mean, I don't believe Lolth curses them and allows them to have drider children? So, if they're sterile, would the females be capable of producing milk?

And yes, I know you weren't serious about drider milk... but hey, its out there... I'm just going where this leads.
BenN Posted - 26 Oct 2021 : 11:39:38
quote:
Drow might drink drider milk.

I suddenly had visions of that scene from Meet The Parents, with Ben Stiller demonstrating how to milk a cat:

https://tenor.com/I6KW.gif

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000